Will IRC ever die?

Will IRC ever die?

Other urls found in this thread:

linode.com/docs/applications/messaging/using-irssi-for-internet-relay-chat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's a protocol. So no. Too many people use it for different purposes. Help desks use it for private group chat and script kiddies use it to control massive bothers.

Nope

too many people living on there m8

Never going to die.

It's used fairly often for developer groups, so no. Numbers might shrink but it's never going to completely die

In the future it'd probably die but for now the oldfags from the 80s want their memories so people cater to them

it never lived in the first place

it died in ~2000

bac in the late 90's the average irc channel had text scrolling at 100 miles an hour.

these days you enter a channel with 500 people and they're all idling.

for a brief period IRC was the facebook, instagram, twitter, snapchat, tinder of today. people were hooking up on it like crazy, being an OP made you a chad that all the girls wanted to talk to.

it was fucking crazy

well it's already dead
ircv3 will allow you to have chathistory, avatars and other faggotry though

I will never stop using it.

None of that sounds appealing, only streaming would be a good addition, do they plan on adding that?

I first used IRC in the early 2000s and this is kind of the impression I got. There were shitloads of people, hundreds of thousands of channels etc. But you could tell even then IRC was dying and it had seen its glory days. Everyone knew about EFnet and DALnet but few actually used them anymore. Today, FreeNode has taken over and everything else is gone. Almost all IRC today is FOSS related.

Hero's never die

it's already dead when you compare today to ~2008. There are plenty of discords with much more activity.

every twitch channel chat is an irc channel. largest irc network ever actually :-)

It's already dead.

I thought they stopped using irc and made their own private system?

not something ive looked into recently

When all the people that used it do.

So far there has been no alternative.

how do i use irssi?

With style linode.com/docs/applications/messaging/using-irssi-for-internet-relay-chat

>mailing list + IRC
eternal dev combo

With AIM being killed, I'll probably be using it more again.

The only difficulty is connecting to my normie contacts. If IRC could send SMSs, I'd be in messaging heaven. It seems really feasable.

You could surely setup a relay bot for that

The bot idea is good but bitlbee sure can handle that.

every IRC channel I've seen was either completely dead or so flooded you couldn't have a conversation

>world wide
Does it cover my three private mongolian servers?

>bitlbee
Thanks, I will check it out.

>..completely dead or so flooded you couldn't have a conversation

During "so flooded", you can usually snipe out interesting people to talk to and eventually start smaller rooms with your new-found in-group. "So dead" is becoming prevalent now. It's a little depressing compared to the substanceless chatter normies are parroting with their phones now.

Only reason I stopped using IRC is because the ports are blocked at work so I can't get on.

And I'm not using a shitty web version. And no VPNs don't work.

Nope. In fact I predict it'll make a comeback now that a decent free IRC client for Android is being developed.

What's wrong with history? Also I hate that I can't hide my IP on IRC. Fuck that. I'm glad this crappy 80's protocol is already dead.