Why didn't OLED take off?

Why didn't OLED take off?
It was supposed to have replaced LCD/LED by now.

Other urls found in this thread:

chrisharrison.net/index.php/Research/Skinput
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Price, Burn in, Scalability.

AMOLED is more commercial

i hope for a more power friendly display, since it's the main drain
they will never allow it

there's only one company that can manufacture a decent OLED panel, and most companies would rather not have their financial nuts in a vice

ive been waiting for them. they have oled TVs and phones, but not monitors. so retarded

/thread
MicroLed is the future.

OLEDs age faster than women.

>white women*

lg?

OLED didn't take off cuz it's fucking trash dude
burn in should've died by 2010. Fucking unbelievable.

oled [and amoled by extension] is too expensive because of sheer cost. no magnitude of scale will defeat the issue. not even elon musk can save oled.

>MicroLed
i invented that myself 5 years ago

Burn in is a meme, 2017 OLEDs have pretty much eliminated it
OLED isn't going to replace LCD/LED panels, they are just so cheap and 99% of people don't care about quality
OLED is the successor to plasma. It's an expensive, but far superior technology for the people who care.

The iPhone X exists. OLED has now taken off.

OLED dies from the moment it's turned on, so no, just because 2017 is here and the tech is more advanced than 1st gen OLED tech from years ago it still suffers from the finite lifespan.

Some panel tech dies faster than others but they all die, absolutely and without question, and burn-in is just a step along the way to death.

Every piece of hardware has a finite lifespan. 2017 OLEDs have a lifespan of around 100,000 hours now, which is comparable to LED panels.

Lower your brightness and use curtains you imbicille

this. 20 million more devices are going to have OLED displays by the end of this year compared to today. in the next year it'll probably be 100 million.

these retarded, uninformed questions by idiots are stupid. it's like asking why shoelaces never took off; just because you're still using velcro doesn't mean the rest of the world didn't move on without you.

samsung does for phones, lg for tvs

Those who knew, owned plasma.

Those who know, now own OLED.

Believe it or not, just because it doesnt have mainstream appeal doesnt mean it isnt superior or profitable.

A properly callibrated 2017 OLED is superior in every way to any other panel on the market. Thats a fact, no matter how many shit tier LCDs they sell at Walmart.

Burn in is still a huge problem, despite everyone saying it isn't

OLED is too expensive

>2much4normies
>2much4me

same reason beats took off while real studio monitor headphones didn't. no one gives a fuck about accurate representation. people want those bright artificial colors and sound with exaggerated bass. and guess what, in the case of TVs they're right.

Hype. My vita still looks banging

>probably the best double IPA out there
>accompanied by 3 of the worst shit you'll ever find
why

>dogfish head
>good
haha

>he likes his blacks to be grey

OLED took off on phones since eventual burn in guarantees consumers to upgrade within 2 years. All the big companies have at least one OLED phone (other than retard Sony). And in terms of same specced OLED vs IPS displays (gamut, brightness, etc) the OLEDs aren't even much more expensive to manufacture anymore. Samsung is just able to charge more since nobody else makes a better OLED display. After the iPhone X, the public perception will be that if a phone isn't OLED, then it's also not premium. Google's shitty Pixel 2 XL on the other hand isn't a good example of that.

don't forget the filthy 3dpd

using note 3 for 4th year and still no burn in

>shitting on the dogfish 90 min DIPA

it tastes like someone dumped the olive oil from a can of anchovies into a 40 and marked up the price by 4x

This is so true it's almost frightening. Has anyone else noticed that ever since the iPhone got rid of the headphone jack, wireless headphone design, production and sales have gone up dramatically?

If Apple thinks something is "the future," the world will go along with it.

No, electro-emissive quantum dots are. mLEDs have literally no development while QDs are being pushed by labs full force. We'll see it in the 2020s but in the mean time OLED prices are going to go down enough to be a gapfiller. mLEDs will never take off as a mainstream display tech.

this has been the case for a very long time. apple rarely adopts things first, but they tend to think the implementation through well enough that they *generally* sketch out the right way to do it.

- portable media players in 1999/2000 were absolute horse shit. if you don't remember, just trust me; they were garbage. the iPod sorted out putting a substantive hard drive in the device without making it too big, came up with an interface that was reasonably intuitive, and the whole market basically exploded. PMPs after 2001 got so much better so fast that you might have had whiplash symptoms.

- smartphones through 2007 were TERRIBLE. mobile operating systems were ill-thought out and practically unusable. manufacturers didn't seem to be competing, carriers had such a stranglehold over everyone that nobody was invested in this shit, etc... until the iPhone came out and made smartphones a mass market product (and started to articulate some user interface de facto standards)

- high pixel density displays were virtually nonexistent in consumer markets, and certainly in laptops, until 2012. operating systems hadn't worked out that the best approach to scaling was to demand that displays make a leap to 2x or some other flat integer. apple did that (2x) with the rMBP. other manufacturers quickly followed suit. operating systems eventually caught up (windows and linux still don't have as complete support for high density displays as OS X, but whatever).

this shit happens all the time. even if you hate apple, you have to give credit to them spurring and in some cases focusing competition. who knows how long USB-C would have languished if apple's macbooks didn't take a hard left turn and go full USB-C? we saw the ineffectual dent other manufacturers made when they tried to push it as a laptop-charging standard.

Are you retarded? The moment you turn on your LCD monitor it starts dying because the LED backlighting will burn out. In fact, it might as well already be dead because 99% of backlit LED panels are edgelight pieces of shit, and there's like one company that actually makes backlit LCDs with lighting zones, and only for TVs. Because OLED panels are manufactured as single pieces they're more likely to be uniform, unless you're Google.

It's expensive, but it's being used in more and more phones and the best tv's out there are oled

oh you could also say similar things about the iPad: tablets had no clear use case when the iPad was launched - it was a running joke on late night TV shows (just as an illustrative anecdote of how well-known it was that we had no idea what the fuck we're doing with it). cut to a few years later and i don't hear that criticism of tablets at all; maybe there's no single use case, but enough of a variety of use cases seems to suffice.

apple wasn't first in anything of the above examples. but being first doesn't get you any awards. if the first product to market has glaring flaws that people aren't willing to put up with, then all you've done is given all of your competitors a sense of what pitfalls to avoid with *their* first shots at the market.

apple's great at waiting, evidently learning from first-to-market failures, and then debuting a thing and pretending they accomplished some magical innovation when in reality they were just prudent and reasonably cautious.

I remember all of that. I was actually considering buying a Sony Minidisc player before the iPod debuted.

I'll admit Apple has done a lot of good for pushing new tech when it was the right choice, but I'm still not sold on wireless headphones. They're just not as good as old fashioned wired cans yet. Then again, if this helps us get closer to a Jet Set Radio "Future" I'll accept it.

it's kind of uncanny because i was just talking with someone about this today (maybe not that uncanny, really, because with the new iPhone the topic always seems to slide over to "but what about the headphone jack").

my base argument vaguely in favor of removing the headphone jack is that we're getting rid of a physical port, which means one less thing that can go wrong (either physically break or whatever). there are still tons of cons that we incur for this one pro, and i'm not even totally sure that we're reaping the full benefits yet, but this rules out another thing that might go bad due to wear and tear.

down the road, we may get real functional advantages out of it (like really robust interactivity between the headphones and the device - google has google translate earbuds, which look like a step in that direction), but it's tough because manufacturers have spent like 50 years overloading 3.5mm with tons of extra shit that made it keep up with the rest of technology, so while 3.5mm jacks weren't really originally designed to facilitate sending pause/resume/etc... signals back over the wire, we managed to build that on top of the existing standard. so now some of these things that bluetooth gives us *by design* seem less impressive.

it's difficult for me to imagine a really creative future for headphones, but i don't know if that's because i lack creativity or because there's genuinely nothing more that we should be doing with headphones other than listening, pausing, resuming, volume up/down, etc...

my hunch is that i'm just not thinking creatively about this; i'm *very* slowly coming around on smartwatches (even now i really can't get excited about a watch that does more than signal my agenda like pic related — rich apps continue to seem tacked on to me)

Everyone wants to sale more accessories.

the same reason why manufacturers still make tn panels

>australian "women"

Will need more then those beers for her

The lack of indium will kill all of them, so who cares. At least lcd don't die easily.

My problem with smartwatches has always been that they've never really fulfilled the fantasy promise of being a slick, all in one device. Having to pair them up with an actual smartphone to do anything at all just makes them asinine to me.

we need input devices like screens and people just can't get what they want from a screen the size of a watch face. smartwatches need to figure out how to stay in their lane, by which i mean satisfyingly be nothing more than what they're good for, given the extremely limited interface opportunities.

given that, yeah, it's true that they'll never be the phone-replacement that you're probably hoping for, but that really just means that smartwatches need to find a way to bring the price point down (or device longevity up) to an appropriate level.

we've tried skin projection input devices (i can find a research paper talking about it...), and it's just not practical. that seems like the most viable input mechanism for a device on the wrist, and i just don't think that's the direction we'll go in

>but it's tough because manufacturers have spent like 50 years overloading 3.5mm with tons of extra shit that made it keep up with the rest of technology, so while 3.5mm jacks weren't really originally designed to facilitate sending pause/resume/etc... signals back over the wire, we managed to build that on top of the existing standard. so now some of these things that bluetooth gives us *by design* seem less impressive.

Honestly, it isn't difficult engineering-wise to add more conductors and functionality to a TRS connector except that you obviously can't make the plug longer and it's not really possible for the phone to communicate with the device at the end of the cable, but you _could_, if it was designed to do so. I had an MPIO FL300 mp3 player back in High School that used it's 3.5MM headphone jack for EVERYTHING. Listening, charging, and data transfer were all handled by the same connector, and it came with a USB-TRRS adapter.

Also the connector has been around for over 100 years at this point, not 50. Apple cut it out to reduce the cost of the device and to sell more wireless accessories for which they can charge a premium and exert control over, not because it's innovative, not because it's time for "a change", it's literally so they can spend less money making the device and make more money selling you garbage.

>Apple cut it out to reduce the cost of the device and to sell more wireless accessories for which they can charge a premium and exert control over, not because it's innovative, not because it's time for "a change", it's literally so they can spend less money making the device and make more money selling you garbage.
And that's what pisses me off. Apple is notorious for doing this, but they always came up with a alternative that was better or at least equal. The Lighting or wireless option is simply inferior to a regular TRS plug.

here's the research: chrisharrison.net/index.php/Research/Skinput

sure we could build on the standard, but it would be running into a wall that we can't just break through. frankly i think the simpler solution would have been to push for USB-C to be the new standard for all I/O and maybe get smartphones to have multiple USB-C ports for arbitrary uses, but that's me thinking pie in the sky stuff.

and i meant 50 years of seriously overloading the original functionality. of course the standard's been around for a lot longer, but we've been hacking it relatively recently.

while it's true that apple benefits from selling expensive accessories and stuff, i think the notion that they're sitting in a conference room with "how to charge more" on the whiteboard or projector or whatever is intensely over-cynical, in the same way that conspiratorial theories about apple and others planning obsolescence with each iOS launch is overly cynical; i would absolutely believe that they're told not to worry so much about people who are diehard committed to 3.5mm or people who have iPhone 5S devices and whatnot, but that's a far cry from consciously scheming under the banner of "how to charge a peremium and exert control".

it's worth avoiding conflating passive laziness with active malevolence. thinking they're actively malevolent leads you down a rabbit hole of hair-brained conspiracy theories when in reality the explanation that apple's engineers are lazy, stupid, and/or not adequately motivated to prioritize backwards compatibility is sufficient.

apply hanlon's razor, you know?

>USB-C
It's for power and digital connections
>backwards compatibility
How is it backwards compatibility when the jack is still more than usable today? Its main purpose is to send an analog signal. A simple enough duty that doesn't need any further innovation. If you want to go full digital, you're only going to make things more complicated. Instead of a simple pair of headphones connected directly to the analog source, you're gonna need a DAC built in to them in order to translate the digital signals into analogs ones.

>vita

Mfw a mostly black screen on Vita

>It's for power and digital connections
there's no reason they couldn't have said that you should just buy headphones that have integrated DACs. it would have been a breaking change from the standard 3.5mm jack, but all of the advantages they claim they needed would be there, and if they had gone with USB as the interface they could have credibly claimed that they were still trying to make it vaguely affordable for the performance and simplicity (compared to fully wireless earbuds and whatnot).

i'm not going to get into semantics regarding backwards compatibility. from the conversation we've had so far, you seem to know better. there's an obvious, intuitive reading and then there's deliberately interpreting it in a way that leads to your own confusion.