Should I try FreeBSD?

So for context, I run windows for gaming (bc wine isn't there yet for DX games), and use Void Linux for just about everything else I can (fuck systemd).
I recently acquired a new system that is really just going to be a test machine. I was thinking about trying out freeBSD after watching the linked video. I really don't care about the gpl licencing shit, but other than that tell me if it's worth it. Or suggest something else for me to use. Solaris maybe?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cofKxtIO3Is
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>forgot to link video

youtube.com/watch?v=cofKxtIO3Is

i stopped using freebsd when i saw that they still dont support standby when lid closed on some laptops and have a cuck license.

Just try it out and see if you like it. For desktop use it's not much different from linux but the only thing you'll have to worry about is hardware support which is slowly getting better. The setup is also different but still pretty straight forward

My bf made that picture.

BSD is the most comfy OS that has enough support to run on hardware.

Linux is chaotic. Everyone solves the same problem 5 different ways and they all have bugs.

BSD is calm. The pieces fit in a well defined way.

To give an example, both Linux and BSD have an ifconfig command for configuring network interfaces. When Linux needed to add wireless support, someone wrote a separate tool called iwconfig for wireless interfaces. It didn't support WPA, so someone wrote a separate tool called wpa_supplicant to do that. wpa_supplicant is a awful to use by itself, so several more people invested time into still more tools to configure a wireless network.

BSD just added the capabilities to ifconfig.

Linux has 10 different programs for configuring networks. The shit pile grows until no one understands which program does what.

BSD has one program for configuring networks, and it works exactly like it says in the manual.

Still need to use wpa_supplicant to get WPA Enterprise support on BSD.

>cares about systemD
>still uses windows
Uninstall everything and use only windows

How is the BSD a cuck license? Have you actually put some thought into your commemt, or do you just mindlessness repeat the same meme over and over again?

>anyone can take your source code and steal software from you without having to contribute code back
>anyone can take your software and sell it

nothings stops anyone from selling GPL software neither

>Anyone Can Sydals your software
Ud I give it away for free tjen it's not really stealing is it? Also:

>This program is free software; you
>can redistribute it and/or modify it
>under the terms of the GNU
>General Public License as
>published by the Free Software
>Foundation; either version 2 of the
>License, or (at your option) any
>later version.
Which basicly means that FSF can chance the license whenever to whatever..

But I can't play non-faggot video games on
CuckBSD

>Linux has 10 different programs for configuring networks
unix philosophy
>BSD has one program
monolithic bloat

Any BSD will run better than Solaris will, on AMD64 hardware. But yeah, FreeBSD is useful. It's worth it. It's my usual desktop, along with lumina, a small DE.

> monolithic bloat
Linux has been devoured by SystemD, nothing more bloat than that.

Unix philosophy is "do one thing and do it well", not "do everything half-assed and hope someone will clean up your mess".

If it happens that someone wants to utilize your program through the unix pipeline that's fine, but it was never intended that the unix pipeline solve problems related to the quality and usability of a program.

>choice is bad
THIS IS WHAT BSD KEKS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

If you're looking for a desktop operating system, avoid BSD.
If you want a game console, go for a playstation. Apparently playstations contain bsd code, but there's no way to know for sure.

>Any BSD will run better than Solaris will, on AMD64 hardware.
ANYTHING will run better than Solaris on AMD64. It's a fucking garbage port done in a hurry because Sun wanted to pretend they can compete with Linux, that's why.

>Linux has been devoured by SystemD, nothing more bloat than that.
>an optional userspace component has devoured the kernel
lol ok kid

> systemd
> optional userspace component
Are you ok? You seem delusional.
The cancer that is systemd has already spread beyond boundaries and will continue to do so.

Oh right.
So I guess Slackware uses systemd, Devuan doesn't exist, no one ever heard about Void or Alpine, and Gentoo folded when systemd absorbed udev.
In reality, developers concentrated on the task of working around the forced poetteringware and that's why we have things like eudev and apulse, and alternative init systems such as openRC and runit (both of which actually pre-date systemd).
But I guess this doesn't fit your simplistic worldview "BSD good -- Linux bad".