Why is battery optimization on Android so aggressive?

Some apps will literally stop syncing unless you add them to the exclusions list through some obscure menu.
Don't even get me started on "doze" mode, which is completely out of your control unless you root the phone.

Are pajeets really so bad at programming that they have to gimp your phone just so that it can compete with Apple?

Other urls found in this thread:

expertreviews.co.uk/samsung/1405984/samsung-galaxy-s9-and-s9-uk-price-release-date-and-specs-rumours-a-new-samsung-ai
developer.android.com/training/monitoring-device-state/doze-standby.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But it cannot compete with Apple

឴ ឴

not a issue on my s6

because the shitty doze """feature""" is the only way they could make android battery life less abysmal

THANK YOU BASED SAMSUNG

"According to @UniverseIce on Twitter, the upcoming Exynos9810 processor will utilise the Exynos-M3 architecture, making it the "most powerful CPU architecture ever". We can't wait to see how the upcoming flagship phone will compare to the S8 and S8+."

expertreviews.co.uk/samsung/1405984/samsung-galaxy-s9-and-s9-uk-price-release-date-and-specs-rumours-a-new-samsung-ai

Its all well and good having a powerful architecture.

The problem is when the software you run on it is fragmented unoptimised garbage.

the 810 was pretty fast too

But also a fucking housefire.

>Some apps will literally stop syncing unless you add them to the exclusions list through some obscure menu.
I can do it in the task switcher. 3 motions, task switcher -> pull down app -> lock. Either way, it's obviously supposed to suspend apps in the background. What else?

> "doze" mode
I bet that's something ingenious for people who use the stock ROM of a shitty vendor?

> Are pajeets really so bad at programming that they have to gimp your phone just so that it can compete with Apple?
Can Apple's IOS trash even multitask now? When I last checked it literally couldn't except for apps written against a special cooperative API that would allow certain functionality only to run in the background.

I don't have an iPhone because iOS is way too restricted for my taste, but yeah, looking at tests it seems iPhones do better with the same capacity battery.

It's an issue on every device, it's literally how it works by design.
You might not notice it because you're using some botnet services or OEM modifications, but any 3rd party service will suffer from it, see pic related for example.

>it's obviously supposed to suspend apps in the background. What else?
It's annoying, because it's not obvious that Android will just kill background processes like that WITHOUT ANY WARNING OR NOTIFICATION.
So then people blame 3rd party apps and 3rd party apps then have to resort to pic related if they want to work normally.

>I bet that's something ingenious for people who use the stock ROM of a shitty vendor?
Doze is part of stock Android by default since at least 6.x. Manufacturers and people with root access can tweak it or turn it off.
If not you have to suffer delayed notifications and that's that. Adding an app to the exceptions doesn't even work mostly, the only way to get notifications delivered instantly then is through a Google messaging service (which is what IM apps like Whatsapp use). But that's only allowed for IM apps, otherwise Google will remove your app from the store.

Dude this is literally how Apple does it. I've had three different iPhones and not syncing when the app is at the background is how they've got a battery life.
I perfectly remember seeing the notification for a telegram or WhatsApp message and then, when i touched the notification, have to wait until the app syncs.

Everyone wants a wafer-thin phablet with a +6" screen now...any decent application dev will try to minimze the battery-hit when they have to compete with stock Google's apps, the phone vendor's apps, Facebook, etc.,..

The only irritating application on my phone is my newsfeed app, and it's fairly trivial to just stop it on the rare occasions that I re-start my phone. What poorly-designed apps are you using that would make you complain about savibg battery life on a Nepalese children's moving-picture forum?

Works on my machine

IM apps are not the problem on Android either.
Try email or Caldav sync (Davdroid). With those you literally cannot avoid delays once you enter doze mode. And after a few days sync might just stop completely, even if you're using the phone.

I'm not complaining about apps using too much battery, I'm complaining about Android killing apps that dindu nuffin. See Davdroid just gets killed completely and syncing stops.

Android dev here. It is all true. In Oreo it is even worse, it is now like doze on steroids.

Lithium batteries are crap. The biggest battery killer are the screen and the sensors. Background processing is not that demanding except for when you need to send data, but I guess nowadays a few more hours of battery makes a terminal more marketable.

>Are pajeets so bad
Clients are to blame, not devs. They want their app to be the most important one in the device, and historically that meant abusing BG processing to track users, send irrelevant info, fingerprint the device, show notifications, etc.

Davdroid needs an an absurd amount of ON_WAKE permissions to function properly (great app, though). It's not even intended for use with non-rooted phones. The only thing in Apple's ecosystem that works as you would wish is iCloud.

yes.
android itself is an abomination. just the fact it's all in java alone means that

Android should have native caldav sync, but I guess that would compete with google's botnet stuff.

>All in Java
It is not, but go ahead. I'm curious about why do you think this is a bad thing.

Exactly. They have business-intended Google Drive pakages for this sort of thing. I like being able to grab media from my homeserver on-the-go, but I have to put up with the sync-delay on my non-rooted phone. I'm O.K. with that.
There are a few concessions we have to make to stay out of the walled garden, user.

It's not "all in java", and there's nothing wrong with java itself. But, android is a shitty OS. Too bad only good mobile operating systems (Sailfish and Plasma) have sub-0.01% market share.
iOS and windows mobile are worse than android, so you're stuck with it for now.

>why is shitty software shitty

Android kills apps in the background so they don't use as much battery. For notifications Google says apps should use GCM or request the user to ignore battery optimizations

>or request the user to ignore battery optimizations
Except that doesn't really ignore them either
developer.android.com/training/monitoring-device-state/doze-standby.html

>An app that is whitelisted can use the network and hold partial wake locks during Doze and App Standby. However, other restrictions still apply to the whitelisted app, just as they do to other apps. For example, the whitelisted app’s jobs and syncs are deferred (on API level 23 and below), and its regular AlarmManager alarms do not fire.

why do you need to run syncs during doze?

Because I don't want to wait hours for email notifications.

> It's annoying, because it's not obvious that Android will just kill background processes like that WITHOUT ANY WARNING OR NOTIFICATION.
It will not kill them, merely suspend them. If it kills them, you ran out of RAM or have a ROM that just does this.

> So then people blame 3rd party apps
If it was not in the foreground and constantly doing stuff it deserves t o be suspended. Else every numale social network app that people would e terribly upset to not have will use 50% of CPU in the background and people will cry over how poor their battery life is.

This way, they cry over how bad the app is, which is correct. It has terribly helped making most apps sane, on my phone I only need to set specific long running heavy ones like TitaniumBackup to be excluded from suspension and it just werks. 30 apps + more system processes and stuff "open" in RAM and it's still not causing a lot of load, exactly as it should be.

> Doze is part of stock Android by default since at least 6.x
Guess I don't have it or it was tweaked. Isn't the simple explanation for what you're seeing "on a shitty stock ROM"? Also, why even discuss root - not having root is to protect plebs from rm /*/f* or whatever. Obviously you have root on your phone and computers.

>It will not kill them, merely suspend them

It blatantly does kill them. And I've got 6 geebees of RAM power so it's not that