Hi Sup Forums I've just updated my PC after 5 years

Hi Sup Forums I've just updated my PC after 5 years.

Are these normal temperatures for an i7 8700k at 5ghz with a Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator ?
I have never seen this kinda of temperatures before, the stress test was doing in Aida64.

Ok this is weird, even at these temperatures the Noctua heatsink is barely hot.
I've re-checked the cooler and seems like it's sitting properly on the CPU.

Any ideas ?

Yes. 8700K gets very hot even with liquid cooling

you're a brave man OP

The chips use a thermal paste layer between the die and the heat spreader. This isn't as effective as previous solder thermal transfer materials.

The problem you're seeing is that these chips have added 50% thermal load over the quad core variants without having improved the thermal solution.

I don't know that those temperatures are normal, but I am unsurprised by them. Might need Google here.

I just checked the voltage, 1.424 seems to be very high.
I have Asus TUF Z370 PRO MB and I just enabled the ultra OC profile for the CPU as a test so I think it raised the voltage too god damn high.

Yeah, definitely don't do that.

The boards will put up the voltage as high as it needs to + error rate in order to keep it running. It inevitably puts it too high. Look up an overclocking guide for the chip you have, they'll give indicative voltages and give you an idea of where to start.

Never use the built in tools for serious overclocks.

Thank you, will look into this.

Any time mate.

Also, 100c on a core is BAD. That's thermal shutdown range. Rule of thumb on previous gen silicon was 80c for overclocks with 90c being the point at which you can expect degraded life from the chip. I'm sure Tomshardware will be able to tell you the new thresholds for these chips.

5Ghz at 1.424 is very high. Good ones can do it under 1.3v Really good ones do it around 1.25v.

Bro you should increase voltage over 1.35v unless you want your shit to have a short life cycle

>Intelfags
I use a comfy amd r5 1600 with stock cooler and my temperature never goes over 55 degree.

DELID THIS

Just a quick update on this as the threat is still opened.

After many tests I was able to get stable 5GHZ at 1.360V, no crashes during an one hour stress test.
Temperatures fluctuated between 70-85, staying mostly under 80.
Quite impressed with this Noctua cooler.

Didn't win the silicon lottery I guess but I'm happy with this.

>air cooling
>not delided
>overclocking
>no avx off-set

holy shit 1.42 is overkill for 5ghz I think.
mine hits 5.2 on less

slow cores

You expect us to believe that you're running 5.2GHZ at 0.695V ?

the software is reading half the correct voltage for what ever reason, so that .696 is actually 1.392v

>Reads half voltage
>Expects it.to be "accurate"
Kek

doesn't need to be accurate so long as its precise should be fixed either in a bios update or monitoring software update