Went to learn programming on the but don't know where to start. Does user have any book, website, or tip on programming?

Went to learn programming on the but don't know where to start. Does user have any book, website, or tip on programming?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HM1Zb3xmvMc
reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq#wiki_getting_started
reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/books
reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/online
github.com/Michael0x2a/curated-programming-resources/blob/master/resources.md
github.com/ossu/computer-science
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
teachyourselfcs.com/
goodreads.com/shelf/show/programming
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
stackoverflow.com/questions/1711/what-is-the-single-most-influential-book-every-programmer-should-read
cs.cmu.edu/~15122/schedule.shtml
cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html
matt.sh/howto-c
cert.org/secure-coding/publications/books/cert-c-secure-coding-standard.cfm?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language
learnpythonthehardway.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install Gentoo

learn C and the concepts of memory management and you have the basis of what you need for functional programming knowledge

1. choose a language, any language (e.g., C)
2. find a well-regarded book or two for said language (e.g., "the C programming language" and "deep C secrets")
3. get an algorithms book (e.g., "algorithms in C" or CLRS)
4. don't listen to anyone on Sup Forums until you finish reading and doing all the exercises you can

>don't listen to anyone on Sup Forums
>listen to me instead

he's trying to say actually sit down and read instead of getting memed on

read SICP, not a meme.

It always depends on your purpose.
Tell us, what are you wanna create? Do you finding for new hobby? Or you wanna get a programmer job?

Install Gentoo
Read SICP

Read the wiki in the sticky it ain't that tricky.

the C book is not a good book as an introduction to programming you retard

K&R is a meme in general

>le read 500 books on machine code, assembly and C first or ur not a real programmer xDDD
that's what most people here will tell you. ignore them and go straight for what interests you the most. read multiple resources, search for them on github as well. you have countless free content to help you on your journey.

the wiki in the sticky is ded.

>other people are extremist so I will be an extremist from the opposite side
Dude.

CS50 from Harvard.
It's free.
It will introduce you to progamming.

You can follow it on edx, youtube, harvard website, may be Coursera etc...

And it the best advice ITT
Saddly it's a bit cringe worthy because of the reddit-tier people.

youtube.com/watch?v=HM1Zb3xmvMc

First you need to become an expert at algebra and having at least a passing knowledge of calculus. At this point, you need become well acquainted with mathematical logic. Then you need to learn about data structures and algorithms. Once you've become well versed in all of that, you can choose a language and begin programming. Try Python, it's easy.

Anyone who tells you that you don't need to learn all that is memeing, their github probably consists of Hello World and a number guessing game.

Been doing it a while when I get the time.

The memes they use in that course are so old and cringeworthy, but at least they're trying.

>63111111

nice work idiot

take some intro to programming course on coursera

Don't take any advice from me, Visual Basic .NET was my first language.

ok thanks for your advice bro

All my development is in java and javascript, but nonetheless has offered good advice.

Learning to program in C will teach you a lot of critical concepts that you need to be mindful of even if the language you're using tries to hide them from you (e.g. memory management, reference vs. value, the code-save-compile-link-run sequence of programming), and almost every modern language in widespread use today has a c-derived syntax.

Learn C# and you will be prepared for anything

Learn C or C++. What to learn?

Learn the basics of any programming language (variables, for/while loops, if's, functions, arrays, pointers, structures (objects in OOP languages), files) in any tutorial on the web, or even a page where they show you it's syntax.
Also be mindful of stuff like memory management when using pointers, what is passing by reference in functions, templates and generic functions.

Do simple programs, starting with hello world.
Then something like entering different values and displaying the biggest value, the sum of all values, how much values were entered.
After, you could do something like entering a number and display the value of the factorial.
Then you could do something like loading a file and print it's values.

After this you should start doing simple algorithms like fizzbuzz, the bubble sort, push and pop functions, single-linked lists, double-linked lists and typical functions that work with lists, like adding an element, size of the list.
Hard mode, do the horse chess algorithm (move a horse across all the squares of a chess board of any nxn size).

If you have done everything above, then you are mostly done with C and now learning any programming language (aside from probably assembler) will be like a kids game.

okay step zero before you do any of these things is to get rid of that "pls tell me what to do" attitude. You have a brain, make decisions. You have the internet, search for things on it. If you want to get anywhere in programming or any technology field asking other people what you do should be the last thing you try. The first thing you try should be picking something up and messing around with it and seeing if you can make it work or if it looks like its leading you in the right direction. Try shit instead of asking for marching orders.

Realistically, every professional programmer is on StackOverflow several times a day looking for posts telling them what to do.

>CS50
You better not be memeing here Im going to look into cs50

He is getting memed on though. Learn anything but programming OP.

reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq#wiki_getting_started
reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/books
reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/online
github.com/Michael0x2a/curated-programming-resources/blob/master/resources.md
github.com/ossu/computer-science
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
teachyourselfcs.com/
goodreads.com/shelf/show/programming
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
stackoverflow.com/questions/1711/what-is-the-single-most-influential-book-every-programmer-should-read

udacity's "computer science 101" course.

find something that bothers you in your life and can be improved using technology to the point where you'd invest a significant portion of your free time to improve and and really dig into.

If you can't find such a problem it's simply not for you. Sorry.

>tip on programming?

>learn a language actually relevant to what you want to achieve, instead of trying to become the perfect programmer from the get go
>extremist advice

>Anyone who tells you that you don't need to learn all that is memeing
Many people learnt all the math you mentioned in high school, and picking up some basic data structures and algorithms knowledge while programming, and then learning about them in detail later is better than doing it the other way around.

>have no idea what to choose
>learn "your desired" language
>have zero idea how a computer works
>perfect programmer
>segmentation fault! What the fuck is this shit?
>why is my program so slow?
>I finally wrote my code. It only has 23 chained if's and only 3 for loops.

If you go directly to pajeet language without at least learning the very basics of how your machine works, you will have a hard time learning and fixing bugs plus writing shit code because you don't know how to make maintanable code.

For that, there are already too much pajeets. If you want to learn how to code, you should do it the right way and it takes time.

not that guy, I agree with you. First I was learning C# and some random courses but I didn't really like it, then I tried Harvard's CS50 and I enjoyed it much more because C gives you a better understanding on how a computer works, which was more fun to me than just writing some code and everything else being magic. I also recommend lower level stuff first

trash.

Step 1: Read K&R, realize the style of declarations used in it won't be used today but it still is the definitive resource on how to read a declaration/bracket order operations ect.

Step 2: Read these lecture notes, slides/additional resources cs.cmu.edu/~15122/schedule.shtml

Step 3: Watch these lectures, read the course book (click on 'old lectures') cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html

Step 4: Read this modern C guide matt.sh/howto-c

Final step: Read this and use for reference cert.org/secure-coding/publications/books/cert-c-secure-coding-standard.cfm?

That's all you need. K&R will teach you what is undefined behavior. 15-122 will teach you to write safe programs and how to analyze existing programs. 15-213 will teach you what C looks like at the assembly level, stack frames, two's complement representation, floating point ect. That 'How to C in 2016' guide will teach you how modern C is written to avoid classic C problems like throwing around char's and ints. The CERT guide is a good desktop book to have around to make sure the shit you are writing cannot under any circumstances lead to undefined behavior. Whatever project you decide to contribute to after doing all this to obtain base competence in modern C programming, they will have a contributor's style guide which you must read like the kernel.org style guide or OpenBSD man style

=====

Or you could try your luck doing Chili's C++ course (the new series), more info at planetchili.net
It's a decently complete C++ course for windows that teaches you a lot of useful stuff and it doesn't hold your hand that much, a good thing I noticed is that this course introduces concepts from OOP at a really early stage (hell, you learn how to properly use classes before learning how to use loops)
Give it a shot if you don't like the most orthodox path mentioned above.

Good luck.

This is laughably false

Everybody learns algerbra in high school, why even mention that?

google sololearn

Why the fuck is this the first commend in every FUCKING THREAD, I'm so done with faggots like you who thinks that Gentoo is the answer to everything.

Start with java, javascript, python, or C# if you want to learn languages that are actually useful and will get you a job.

Learn C only if you want autist cred on Sup Forums. It is only used for shit like embedded systems and drivers.

Newfag

Missing the point of learning C m8.

What is K and R ?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

>have no idea what to choose
>learn "your desired" language
Most people have a general idea of what they want to create (desktop software, mobile apps, websites), and they can choose a language based on that.
>have zero idea how a computer works
Not knowing assembly or C is not the same as not knowing anything about computers.
>segmentation fault! What the fuck is this shit?
Do you honestly believe that you need any kind of computer science knowledge to understand why it doesn't work when you try to address something outside of an array?
>why is my program so slow?
Yeah, because people who go straight into C or assembly write efficient code from the get go, it's not like they can use the same inefficient algorithms in any language. Besides, almost every book warns you when something shouldn't be used X way because it's inefficient.
>I finally wrote my code. It only has 23 chained if's and only 3 for loops
Beginners tend to write shitty code, who would have guessed? Oh, but only if they had spent months learning CS concepts without any actual programming experience, then they would surely be able to put their knowledge to use from the first second.

learnpythonthehardway.org

Install Gentoo.

Thanks.

You will eventually need to go to a college or uni if you want to go into true CS and begin the academic quest of understanding how this this works.

This is the weirdest webm I've ever seen

Even if you wanted to understand low level stuff to be better at debugging or whatever their is still zero reason to learn C over C++. It's install gentoo tier autism.

>It is only used for shit like embedded systems and drivers.
>only
Congratulations on being the biggest retard of the thread.

Everything else that it's still used for is equally obscure.