The millennial generation seems to have been skipped regarding affiliation to technology...

the millennial generation seems to have been skipped regarding affiliation to technology. we grew up in a period where tech was just starting to become cool. i still remember people shitting on the nerds for enjoying computers too much.

now every kid grows up playing minecraft. they have multiple high powered computers sitting in their homes ready to do anything. meanwhile, millennials are just now entering the workforce and many are grossly underprepared to work with technology.

are millennials doomed to be surpassed by their younger counterparts? they will only be in the job market for a few years before the next generation is old enough to join the market and then it will be inundated with kids who have used computers since they were 4 and recruiters will soon realize their potato millennial 'analysts' that barely know Excel could easily be replaced by this young chap who knows C, python, Java, and can explain what "a linux" is in 2 words. meanwhile potato millennials are struggling to make lookuptables on excel, never heard of C, only cares about partying and YOLO life styles, and is always late for work.

are millennials the lost generation? we grew up in a time where computers weren't cool or hip and so maybe 75% of millennials are severely tech illiterate. most will gladly put Microsoft Office, Excel, and Powerpoint as "Skills" on their resume as if it takes a brain to double click an icon and begin word processing. are we doomed to be replaced by the next generation and then by robots? will we be forced to work at Mcdonalds after age 30?

Other urls found in this thread:

coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

where were u when millennial are kill>

>the young generation seems to have been skipped regarding affiliation to technology. we grew up in a period where tech was just starting to become cool. i still remember people shitting on the nerds for enjoying computers too much.

>now every kid grows up playing minecraft. they have multiple high powered computers sitting in their homes ready to do anything. meanwhile, young people are just now entering the workforce and many are grossly underprepared to work with technology.

>are young people doomed to be surpassed by their younger counterparts? they will only be in the job market for a few years before the next generation is old enough to join the market and then it will be inundated with kids who have used computers since they were 4 and recruiters will soon realize their potato young 'analysts' that barely know Excel could easily be replaced by this young chap who knows C, python, Java, and can explain what "a linux" is in 2 words. meanwhile potato young people are struggling to make lookuptables on excel, never heard of C, only cares about partying and YOLO life styles, and is always late for work.

>are young people the lost generation? we grew up in a time where computers weren't cool or hip and so maybe 75% of young people are severely tech illiterate. most will gladly put Microsoft Office, Excel, and Powerpoint as "Skills" on their resume as if it takes a brain to double click an icon and begin word processing. are we doomed to be replaced by the next generation and then by robots? will we be forced to work at Mcdonalds after age 30?

>THOSE ***YOUNG PEOPLE*** REEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Really, hun?

user i hope you used a hash table to replace all those instances of 'millennials'

My text editor has a search/replace function, took about 10 seconds :)

In every generation there's been a small contingent that's really interested in the new thing of the era, and is very smart and capable as a result of having technical hobbies. In decades past these would have been the kids who took apart televisions or were into amateur radio. They're still here in the modern area. (look in infosec and you'll find some) The thing that's different this time around is due to the dot.com bubble and the second tech-giant bubble that we're still in, society at large got this idea in its head that tech is what you should study to get a white-collar job with good pay and no heavy lifting. This attracts all the stupid people who previously hated nerds, still do hate tech, but who very much want a cushy upper-middle-class life. So they try to use the right buzzwords and stuff to scrape themselves into employment with their CS degrees. The smart people are still around and always will be, but the massive influx of morons means the signal-to-noise ratio has dropped by orders of magnitude.

GenZ is technologically illiterate. GUIs and """social""" networks have made them worse than boomers in this respect.

>growing up playing minecraft + having a gaming pc bought by your parents = "knows C, python, Java, and can explain what "a linux" is in 2 words"

Why doesn't this faggot share with us the name of the "reputable" electronics store?

thanks to a hash table

this is probably a bait post, but modern technology is built around tech illiterate people. juat because you used an ipad since you were 2 doesnt mean you know anything about tech.

>could easily be replaced by this young chap who knows C, python, Java, and can explain what "a linux" is in 2 words.
Why on earth would you conflate using computers with understanding computers? The best time for creating people who actually understood computers was when "millennials" grew up because everything hadn't yet been obfuscated by modern pushes for a pleasant user experience. Nothing about Spotify, Snapchat, Instagram or Facebook will ever lead you to C, Python, Linux or Java, no matter how much you use them.

understanding how a computer works is the basis of a strong future in tech. i don't know how many wide eyes i've gotten when i explained to my friends that at the lowest level of computer hardware, it's simply low and high voltages representing binary numbers at a very fast speed. they look at me like i'm jesus because I made the connection between binary and computing for them.

if you don't understand how a computer works, GL in anything besides front-end development where all you need to care about is how a browser works.

abstracting minor details is important for progress, but if you think it's an excuse to just be retarded about it, you must be a "css dev"

Truth

>are millennials doomed to be surpassed by their younger counterparts?
this happens to every generation, moron

but i thought my generation was the best?

Current year kids are given black boxes that play Minecraft straight off the Microsoft Store or App Store.
They don't care what's inside the black box.

this tbqh

you do realize millennial includes anyone born after 1982 right

you dessicated shrimp

everything was already polished and retard proof when they grew up, if they aren't interested they're as illiterate as gen Y, maybe more.
They might be better if they learn programming at school but considering how shitty most public schools are that won't change much for most of them. Once you're past the trendy image a lot of people still find programming too autistic to bear with it

Believe it or not, the upcoming generations will be the same shit as we are or even worse thanks to the fuckfaces that promoted blackboxes, like smartphones.
Don't act like the kids will be closer to technology with scratch and the retarded minecraft as we could in 90s.

It's the current kids who are fucked.
coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

This.

They are more used to tech, but it doesnt make them "literate".

My 8 year old cousin can work a tablet/smartphone better than i can, but he cant fix something that went wrong.

Its just like cars.
When they were first becoming ubiquitous, the 20-30 year old generation were okay with using them, but it still kinda confused them. While the 0-10 year olds would find them comfortable and take to driving like second nature.
Doesnt mean all those 0-10 year olds could fix it when it broke down.

>coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
that guy has a major chip on his shoulder. i'm surprised he didn't liken that woman to one of his ex girlfriends, assuming he has ever had one before

mfw i bang hot girls and also troubleshoot their tech needs while they suck my cock

He's right you know.

so how do you like atom?

Gen Z kids have difficulty using windows after getting so used to touchscreens, so we're good.

>by this young chap who knows C, python, Java, and can explain what "a linux" is in 2 words. meanwhile
HAHAHAH

>a gaming PC + minecraft = leet hacker

I too have taken a CS course in my life.

DUDE IS WAY TOO HEATED.

HE CALLED HIS OWN FAMILY TECH ILLITERATE.

but I worked in school IT. I once had a guy with so many things saved to his desktop that the icons were overlapping 5 times each.

He would hid a file under 3 others and it would never be found again.

>what is the difference between internet, www, web browser, and search engine.

I cant actually awnser this without google. I only have a vague Idea of the difference between www and internet, but I hate networking and actually refuse to learn anything about it.

Can some one give me a quick run down?

wait never mind.

www is just the adress book for the internet so you can actually find something.

Many gen z-ers do most of their computing on tablets and phones, which provide less computer literacy, since they are more locked down.

I would say that the younger generations have less knowledge or desire for computing than Millennials. Millennials grew up where computers were just becoming main stream enough where enough people used them, but things weren't abstracted to just an "app" like modern generation, so you could learn what was going on behind the scenes. A lot of the time you had to figure out why something wasn't work by yourself. Nowadays technology has been reduced to the lowest common denominator where kids only know how to open the facebook app or instagram app and browse the app store.

I thought the same but then discovered how young brazil script kiddies do all their cracking on phones

Kids who are naturally interested in tech will always develop computer skills, no matter the platform. The problem is that the majority of kids, who aren't particularly interested in tech, won't be forced to develop computer skills, because smartphones are so locked down.

the vast majority of kids aren't interested in anything in particular, technological or not. They don't change when they become adults.

But it teaches you about UI design patterns.

How does using a a fucking tablet from a young age magically make you good at python and java?

And who even qualifies as a millennial? I was born in the late 90s and technology has been a pretty big deal for as long as I can remember. I've been using real computers since I was 4

I was born in 1983. So I'm 34. I grew up in a time where ibm computers,dos and windows 3.x were all the rage. The simple WEP games were considered cool and later on if you didn't have a Voodoo 2/3 chip something was wrong with you. Win95 and Tomb Raider was the shit. Dial-up was as good as it got for NET access. Now kids don't got a clue what a CMD prompt is or even used Win95 or earlier.

>TFW I miss plugging my svga card through my Voodoo2

It's probably just Fry's or Microcenter. It's not their fault.

This

Only a select few of the younger generation are capable of genuine technological skill, maybe even fewer exist currently than with millennials.

If you give a 12 year old a cell phone, most likely they'll be able to do what they want to do on that device, such as play a game or browse social media. Nothing less, but definitely nothing more.

I think they can operate it to a higher degree of effectiveness as say their parents, but they push no boundaries and rarely try to look at what the technology they use can be pushed to do.

>open up inspect element
>people notice and literally ask if i'm a hacker
People in general are shit a pootahs desu. Generation doesn't matter, only a handfull of people will ever be"tech literate" or whatever the fuck you wanna call it. Don't particularly feel like rehashing the other replies but they give you the jist of the other shit I would've said.

>le epic complaining about status of current gen society is all le wrong generation meme and its always been this way
This, GenZ grew up on tablet and smartphones, sure they're more used to using them but everything they've been exposed to is limited to the app store.

>www is just the adress book for the internet so you can actually find something.

the world wide web is the software part, the internet is the hardware.

The world wide web is the stuff on the internet you can access using a browser, while the internet itself is used for other stuff, such as SSHing, online multiplayer gaming, or torrenting.

*also used for other stuff

>a kernel

Your thoughts, they reek of retarded. Get raped.

Won't happen in my country.

>Private sector pays at least 2x more than teaching.
>Schools that change their curriculum for the 'digital age' have had to deal with angry techno-phobic parents who withdraw their children.
>Teachers quitting because they don't know how to charge an ipad and feel left behind.

I really want to see that video of a little kid cracking on phone

>teaching
Teach yourself then.

>"partying and YOLO life styles"

How 2013 of you. Might as well complain about Jazz music too. What are you doing on 4chin, gramps?

the millennial generation was subject to marxist theory being put into practice in public schools.

Man that motherfucker has fucking issues, why does he think people think so badly of him or give a shit to think so much about him?

Is this what people call projection? holy fuck what a dumb article.

As such millennials are the only generation that is truly WOKE.

That's why everyone wants to exterminate us so bad. We dared to question tradition and had this terrible habit of critically thinking. Once it became apparent we weren't gonna tow the line and swallow the ideology of the boomers that's when millennial bashing became a thing.