/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

FUCK GNOME edition

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
&& /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.proxmox.com/threads/ip_list_tot-doesnt-change.26802/
askubuntu.com/questions/491750/force-enable-hardware-acceleration-in-firefox
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there's no edition ignore this faggot

fuck GNOME

you don't make the rules, bitch

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as /flt/, is in fact, /fglt/.

>FUCK GNOME
What's your preferred DE?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as /flt/, is in fact, /flt/.

What's your prefered WM?

Anything else, gonna give KDE a proper go next I think. I already tried it and it was a bit RAM hungry but if it works better and doesn't lock up like GNOME did today, then that's okay by me.

Install GuixSD

I was gonna ask something about GNOME. I guess this isn't the best time.

how do i make my font look good for firefox and chromium? i'm i3. is there a brainlet guide i read to understand what i need to change? i don't understand font stuff

yeah thank the idiot OP for putting a shitface edition in it instead of keeping it friendly like you're SUPPOSED TO

>editions are orthogonal to friendliness
what a stupid salty fuck you are

muh salt
back to where you came from faggot

>flt
>fuck gnome
>edition

What's wrong with GNOME, OP?

>thinks we will think he's not salty because he bravely said 'muh salt'
kek pull the other one
It locked up on me today, I haven't had any distro lock up on me since Ubuntu in around 2008-9.

probably fucked something up and now blames the computer bc dindu nuffins

I've created an ipset list using
ipset create blocklist hash:net

and adding ips to it using
ipset add blocklist X.X.X.X

But when i go to add the ipset list to iptables with
iptables -I INPUT -m set --match-set blocklist src -j DROP

It says
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

Am i missing a command somewhere?

Does this keyboard run GNU/Linux?

>Ubuntu Unity has worked fine since it was released in around 2010
>17.10 comes out and I foolishly upgrade thinking this is the future so might as well get on board
>it locks up because GNOME is retarded and shit and has notoriously shit code
But yeah it's probably my fault for switching to a shit DE.

saying 'ur salty :DD' isn't an argument. at least you're not doing reddit spacing

is this the new meme

No.

stop using your custom kernel

Yeah, I've seen it before.

>FUCK GNOME
>fuck GNOME
You guys sure like GNOME. That's great and all, but don't you think it's a little extreme to want to have coitus with a desktop environment? Degenerates never cease to amaze me.

Dosent work with default kernel either

So you basically fucked up and now blame random software which happens to run on your computer.

Arch is a stepping stone

>leaves an LTS installation for a testbed
>get's mad when something breaks
It's a well known fact, non-LTS Ubuntu is always a disaster.

what's after arch?

Ascendence to the kingdom of Gods.

you realise you're a faggot so go back to ubuntu and stay there

I've been using the same hardware for about 5 years, and always used Ubuntu and it's never locked up. It's some real funny coincidence that after I switch to 17.10 that I get the first lockup on Ubuntu in all that time.

I know and I might just go back but there were reasons I left LTS, some packages weren't working properly on LTS (obscure shit that won't get updated/fixed like the exfat utils and also filezilla was fucked on LTS).

so why blame gnome, faggot?

nice desu. i am ready

GuixSD

Is there any benefit in using newer ntfs-3g package when formatting to NTFS?

Read the changelog and find out

because Unity was fine and when everything got switched to GNOME3, it fucked up. doesn't bode well. probably a good time to find out how KDE is getting along.

>/flt/
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

G-Guys I was trying to install Debian on my pc and now my windows isn't bootable anymore. I think it happened when I was trying to make a new partition (on windows manager) and it was rendered unusable according to the Debian installer. My files are still OK, right? What will happen to that unusable part?

i hope you made backups user

that doesn't answer the question
>computer problem after update
there is like literally millions of different things that could have fucked up
why not blame ubuntu for fucking up?
why not blame $random program, window system, compositor, systemd, gnu, kernel, whatever else for fucking up?
why gnome?
>inb4 i-it worked with unity
you dense retard, why if you fucked up something in your package manager, what if ubuntu fucked up packaging gnome, holy shit, what if $random program actually broke your system and gnome if is perfectly fine?
you're just a fucking retard who fucked up and now blames the computer, and because you want that everyone knows that you're retarded, you start a "fuck this program" thread editon
fucking people blaming random programs while knowing nothing
fuck this shit and fuck you

its easier to blame gnome so fuck you

Another bit of info: I could not format the unusable partition on windows because it was GPT or something like that.
Some of my stuff is on my second drive, but everything I installed was on C.

I have so many hotkeys, I forgot which does what.
What do?

Remake them.
If you forget them you don't use them enough.
If you delete everything and add one each time you need it you will end up with a quality hotkey list that you do remember

delete everything
use dmenu

How are you trying to boot into windows? Have you tried mounting the partition in Debian?

Doesn't GNOME Debs like removing stuff from the DE because use cases other than theirs aren't worth considering? Like they tried to remove the systray once. Doesn't seem like they respect their users much.

i have thinkpad x230 and today I updated my manjaro i3, for some reason I have no sound.. what can i do ?

hey /fglt/, I installed Opensuse Tumbleweed yesterday and today, here is my mini-review:

Pros:
- rolling release
- ability to call it Openpepe
- nice KDE Plasma integration if you need it
- not Redhat

Cons:
- yast
- language settings don't work
- need to configure audio settings including devices (still doesn't work)
- systemd

6/10 wouldn't recommend over Fedora

this is the /flt/ you dingus

Man, the thing wasn't even opening the bios,. I had to clean it to be able to reach it. Now I made a logical partition for Debian and used the windows' recovery partition for Debian's swap partition.

The first windows partition (the one with 100MB) is the one that boot it, right?

I choose to ignore that fact. But if you insist, what does the f stand for again, you dingus?

dingus isnt an insult
frickin dingus

>2017
>Microsoft still can't do a good font renderer
lmao score 10000-0 to linux

Hey guys, I started using Linux a few weeks ago.

I am currently using CentOS 7 because that is what I used for the first time at my internship and was a little confortable with.

Some ppl told me that there are better distros for my use case (light programming, office suite and general usage), like Debian or Mint.

I'm going to try Debian but was wondering about the desktop enviroments, I only used GNOME only so far, are there any other recommendations you guys might have?

nigga you use centos on a workstation
wew lad
install virtualbox or something and try out a llthe DEs you like
MATE and LXDE are good

I know... but that is what i had in hand when i needed it. I had a small project to deliver and windows as being a bitch and someone told me that on linux I could do the same thing in 10 minutes. so I left it formating while i was working and finished my project in literal 10 minutes before the class i was supposed to deliver it to.

how do i do good font render on linux? tell me sensei

you load the font module

>want even opening the bios
What? If both OSs are on different partitions on the same drive then the bios doesn't come into it, there is only one bootloader involved. If it is booting into Linux then then us grub and you need to add windows to the grub menu.

how do I fix this?

chromium is super smooth while firefox looks like my computer is lagging

I don't understand how OP here: forum.proxmox.com/threads/ip_list_tot-doesnt-change.26802/ was able to change the ip_list_tot value of the recent module, since it does indeed seem to be read-only on proxmox servers, can some user help?

Debian is a good choice.
As far as desktop environments go, I would recommend either GNOME or XFCE. You can install both and try them out to figure out which one you prefer.
Personally, I like xfce more.

do this askubuntu.com/questions/491750/force-enable-hardware-acceleration-in-firefox and reboot

Linux wasn't even installed when all that happened.
Anyway, I managed to install it and now both Windows and Debian are bootable.
Apparently you can't make more than 4 partitions, and Windows already had 3 + the D partition, and I tried to make a partition out of this one, making a 5th, hence the unusable thing. I deleted the D partition, losing not so important stuff there, and used it for Debian.

Now I'll fool around with it, install AMD drivers and stuff like that.

>3 years ago
these options don't even exist anymore

With absolute horror i noticed that my home folder is set to read permission for world by default.
WHY THE FUCK IS THIS ALLOWED?
the things i have saved there... jesus christ, if any of the family memebers using that htpc looked in there, or if any of the media applications automatically crawled it for photos and videos and displayed it as thumbnails in the list when the family was using that app..
jesus christ... i pray to god hoping i noticed it in time

If i set the home folder to 700 will that cut off any access to that folder to everyone who isn't me, eve if all files and folder in my home folder are whatever (like 777 or stuff)?

Please answer fast, this could literally destroy my relationships with all my family members

the literal retard apeared

your file manager should give you a permissions tab if you right click on the directory and select properties?

I am not at home and ssh into the htpc via command line only, also i don't see how using GUI for the permissions answers my question
I don't what to use recursive chmod because i have loads of shit with custom perms set

have you tried not being a little shit?

If the directory is 700, then regular users won't be able to access anything, even if a file lower down is technically readable and even if they know/guess a filename.

And yes, you are correct to NOT use chmod recursively. Just do chmod 700 on the directory, without using -R, and you should be fine.

wait, you let other people use your machine?
LMAO

What is the best distro for daily use?

ubuntu or one of its varients

The one I'm using.

is there anyway to run android apps in linux?

Use go-rwx so that you don't blindly set the execute bit on everything.

go= would be simpler.

I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

how about using a search engine?

I'm having trouble to disable the touchpad with debian+lxde

:(

Do you like this font?

>FUCK GNOME edition
lolwut, why

Whats a good fontface for japanese, fellow mome?

How do I create a live-usb that mimics my desktop and everything?

stop fapping to illegal shit

How can I make vim less laggy? What could cause lags anyways?

plugins

so uninstall your plugins I guess

try installing neovim instead, it comes with plugins out of the box, but runs faster

as a guy who hopes to toss gnome for something qt based - if you hope it wont lock up you are gonna have a bad time.
ubuntu 17.10 is an example of how shitty cannonical can make everything. Remove default extensions, clone some existing ones and butcher them, shit breaks when you try fiddling with it. Not to mention that autologin is broken, and the default shell theme is fucked up, i bet its impossible to get vanilla gnome from this.

Yes. There are a couple projects that try to do that (andbox?) they install the silly android kernel modules via dkms.
Or install chromeos

Having the current line highlighted caused huge lag for me. I can't believe something as simple as vim was that slow.

Just a reminder that this exists.
>Arch based with packages from Debian testing
>OpenRC (nosystemd)
>GNU/Linux-Libre kernel (FSF Approved)
>Long Term Support (LTS) model

Install Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre