/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>General
Always consider an SSD if you can afford one and buy an HDD later.

>If you want help
Assemble a part list: pcpartpicker.com/
Remember, we're not here to build a parts list for you, we're here to help you.
If your part list has a monitor, list the monitor specs that you need.
State your budget, currency, and usage scenarios.
Learn how to build a PC: youtu.be/VhdV2wv3jQs

>CPUs
A8-9600 - Absolute bare minimum gaymen without a dedicated GPU.
G4560 - Absolute bare minimum gaymen w/ a dedicated GPU.
R5 1400 - Best with OCing & high-speed RAM.
i5-8400 - Best value for gaymen
R5 1600 - Best value for mixed uses
R7, used Xeon, Threadripper, or 8700k - Heavy multi-tasking & mixed uses

>GPUs
* Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
1060 3GB - 1080p 60fps at medium/high settings, anything below this just buy an Optiplex and put this GPU or better in.
1060 6GB or RX 580 - 1080p 60fps at ultra settings, former supports G-Sync, latter supports Freesync
1070 - 1080p 144fps / 1440p 60fps at ultra settings
1080 TI - 1440p 144fps / 4k 60fps at ultra settings

>RAM
Check your Mobo's QVL if your buying Ryzen
Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200(+)MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/nDJjm8
www3.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m92p/
duckduckgo.com/?q=lenovo thinkcentre m92p motherboard&t=hf&iax=images&ia=images
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
youtube.com/watch?v=WAbl0fLY06U
pcpartpicker.com/list/zNcGD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Y6vnPs
youtube.com/watch?v=Vh8tZ_qkY1o
pcpartpicker.com/product/z6YWGX/samsung-c27hg70-269-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-lc27hg70qqnxza
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=49wccf
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352056
youtube.com/watch?v=IWAvwpANZ7c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dead PC guy here, how is this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/nDJjm8

Mainly interested in case feedback (in functionality terms) since that was the change here other than the CPU/MoBo, Probably at the complete limit of stretching my budget at this point.

previous

Is there a catch to this i thought 580 prices were supposed to be fucked or am i being retarded and missing something?

I've made some progress but I don't understand how the green cable got under or how to get it out

>how is this?
I mean it's a 2000$ build, I'm not sure what you're expecting other than "It's strong"
maybe get a PSU with some higher wattage like 750-800

don't pay the evga psu tax. buy the psu directly from the maker(superflower) that psu is the superflower leadex 650
or buy a seasonic.

also personally I'd avoid the entire evga gpu lineup for this gen after the exploding voltage regulators.

personally I'd get a bigger case with better airflow, especially since you are using house fire lake

How hard can it be? If it doesn't work just cut it or rip it out and resolder it

reference card WRRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Why is this allowed?

never buy those. the no name psu will fuck you in the long run. also no point in buying last gen intel, either get ryzen or wait for covfefe lake to be in stock

www3.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m92p/

well it's a pretty niche product

I think the green cable was an inside job.

I overclocked using Intel's XTU and my Cinebench score went down 200 points
what the fuck is happening

>reference gpu
PANIC

oh wait no I chcked reviews
CPU: Intel core i5 7400
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B250M-A (MSI B250M bazooka is the one pictured as far as I can tell)
GPU: MSI RX 580 4GB ARMOR (pictured in ad as far as I can tell)
RAM: 2x4GB sticks of ADATA 2400
PSU: ATNG POWER CO., LTD MODEL: ATM-500FB (not specified in ad and I couldnt find any specs or reviews online)
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM
Case fans: Apevia branded
Case: Aluminum (I believe) with acrylic front and side panels. Cooler Master: Master Box lite 5

that PSU is going to fucking explode most likely

if you can replace the PSU it's probably still a steal

That's not even the same product.

excessive heat probably. did you delid?

see

>lenovo

it's the motherboard of said product

duckduckgo.com/?q=lenovo thinkcentre m92p motherboard&t=hf&iax=images&ia=images

I got it out there was some space between the fans and the heatsink

No it isn't you brainlet.

A CPU cooler or RAM stick alone is taller than that thing.

What is the difference between PCIe cards that lack some PCIe pins and the ones that have all of them?
I know that in a low end card it should make no difference but what difference is there?

Will it work at PCIe x8 instead x16?

Gee, I wonder what form factor that motherboard belongs to.

Ok now I can boot my PC and decrypt ssd but after that nothing happens and my back case fan does not work

I don't understand, you linked the lenovo m92p motherboard. I linked the mp92p and called it a niche product. why are you even an autistic sperg out? go take your pills before you pull an ed kemper and kill your family

Fake news.

>don't pay the evga psu tax. buy the psu directly from the maker(superflower) that psu is the superflower leadex 650
>or buy a seasonic.
Will keep in mind, thanks.

>also personally I'd avoid the entire evga gpu lineup for this gen after the exploding voltage regulators.
I already have the GPU (and monitor and SSD) so bit late for that, but can you tell me what you're referring to?

>I'd get a bigger case with better airflow
This case has bad airflow? It seemed like a big case for a mid tower, certainly has a lot of space from what I'm seeing on the specs and i supposed to have good airflow while being pretty quiet.

Is this better? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003

>superflower leadex 650

Nigga where are you gonna buy one of these?

>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

EVGA decided not to cool the VRMs on their GPUs

youtube.com/watch?v=WAbl0fLY06U

>CPUs
i3 8100 is significantly better at gaming than the R5 1400 for cheaper.

>GPUs
1050Ti is a great, appropriately priced, budget graphics card.

>just buy an Optiplex and put this GPU or better in.
Can't; the Optiplexs do not have 6+2 pin power connectors from the PSU. >inb4 replace PSU; Can't, proprietary connection between mobo and PSU. Best graphics card an Optiplex can accept is a 1050Ti, which for ideological reasons you are too stupid to include in the OP.

>1060 3GB - 1080p 60fps at medium/high settings
>1060 6GB or RX 580 - 1080p 60fps at ultra settings
Oh wow, you're telling me that 10% difference in performance enough to bump up my PC from Medium to ULTRA???? OMG yes I've been looking for a silver bullet like this

my friend told me to install OS into the SSD for fast boot times
is this true?

it's running 64C at full load and 24 idle
pretty sure heat is not an issue here

It's probably throttling, you forgot to delid.

yes

Yes. You don't need to store everything on an SSD, but installing your OS will make a large difference. General desktop usage will be faster too.

>i3 8100 is significantly better at gaming than the R5 1400 for cheaper.
????

pcpartpicker.com/list/zNcGD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Y6vnPs

This is not an issue on any of their other GPUs

>i3 8100
>have to pair it with a board as expensive as the CPU
>only a bit faster than an overclocked 1200/1300X
It's shit. No one should be buying the 8100 or 8400 until next year.

>tfw the jews won

youtube.com/watch?v=Vh8tZ_qkY1o

What's a great but cheap ATX case?

This monitor is better
pcpartpicker.com/product/z6YWGX/samsung-c27hg70-269-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-lc27hg70qqnxza
Drop to the i5 8400 unless you know you need the i7 for streaming or rendering

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=49wccf
This build is better for cheaper if you drop to 8GB RAM and remove the SSD

OS + programs incl. games

Add in fast RAM for both and the difference evaporates. Wow, 5 - 10% more for significantly better performance.

>No one should be buying the 8100 or 8400 until next year.
"No"
Anyway the topic of discussion is R5 1400 vs. i3 8100

The think the main issue with the G4560/4600 now is that it no longer has a solid upgrade path. the 7700K is no longer the King Shit of Gaming, and 4 cores are rapidly becoming obsolete. By the time you upgrade in two years or whatever, the value of the 7600K/7700K for gaming will be greatly diminished, although at least that means you can upgrade for cheap. Coffee Lake Pentiums will be a much better value once they're out next year, although they may be outclassed by Raven Ridge desktop CPU's.

I thought you guys are above jewery.
Why do you recommend intels anymore?
Intel scumbags with their mobo scamming every time. What, Z boards now? Fuck you.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352056
or
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003
?

Don't have much more left in the budget so that's the price point, have 8700k and 1080

How the fuck

>vega 56 has good price/performance where I live just above the 1070
>freesync saves me money
>would like to try something different having only owned intel/nvidia
>I really like the look of the card for what its worth
>reviews say it runs really hot and loud
>know this is true of most recent gpus
>also know as a reference card it would be true
>sound videos don't help because I have no point of reference

You're going to regret it.

>G4560/4600 no longer has a solid upgrade path
No, the i5 7500 or i7 7700 will both be great upgrades from the Pentium. The 8 threads of the 7700 won't be obsolete for the foreseeable future, and the i5 will be dirt cheap by the time the G4600 actually NEEDS to be replaced if the user wants a small upgrade.

>4 cores are rapidly becoming obsolete
No, this is some fan fiction

>By the time you upgrade in two years or whatever, the value of the 7600K/7700K for gaming will be greatly diminished
No

>Coffee Lake Pentiums will be a much better value
Depends on pricing, i.e. whether they're actually available for $60. Some slightly faster clocks but still 2c/4t

>although they may be outclassed by Raven Ridge desktop CPU's
The benefit to Raven Ridge _APUs_ is the integrated graphics. They'll be way more expensive than the basic Pentiums, and no one who's getting a d. graphics card will buy one.

>know this is true of most recent gpus
No. Most of them are cool and quiet.
Nothing wrong with Vega if you can get it for the right price

>Add in fast RAM for both and the difference evaporates. Wow, 5 - 10% more for significantly better performance.
yeah I forgot about that 2-7$ difference
it's not fucking fair

so eventually the i3 costs 10% more, has worse ram, has a worse cooler, has SIGNIFICANTLY worse multi thread, has basically the same single core performance, performance and ~15% better quad core performance

now if you turn the tables and compare the 1600 to the 8100, what you get for 10% of the cost is better ram, a better cooler, the same single and quad core performance and more than DOUBLE the multi-core performance
>b-but we're not comparing the 1600 and 8100 that doesn't count

it does count to show what an example 10% makes in that case compared to what you get for 10% with the 8100 in comparison to the 1400

I wouldn't even recommend anyone to get the 1400 instead of 1200 or 1600 but you're still fucking retarded

What's funny is that people used to always jump on anyone who accidentally paired a Z170 or Z270 with a locked Intel chip, or vice-versa. Now you have people openly recommending the 8100 and 8400 as "budget options" despite the fact that only Z370 boards are available, really makes you think.

It only makes me think why is the main focus on gaming rigs here on Sup Forums ? Take that shit to Sup Forums or whatever, its pathetic. Rise above the corporations trickery. Doesnt anyone love computers for the sake of computers anymore?
What happened...

well I just dropped my r5 1600 as soon as I got it out the box and bent about 20 pins. Fuck.

also I bought it on amazon so I have no idea if I can get the money back

It's possible to straighten the pins on PGA.

It doesn't matter that Intel is doing a rushed paper launch of Coffee lake to stop AMD from gaining too much marketshare.
It doesn't matter that people are forced to pair Z370 with locked processors.
It doesn't matter that Z370 is only a refreshed Kaby Lake chipset, and the REAL Coffee Lake mobos with the Cannonlake chipset aren't out until next year.
It doesn't matter that Coffee Lake is a one gen platform, not compatible with either Kaby Lake or Ice Lake.
It doesn't matter that delidding your CPU's is mandatory if you want to overclock because Intel uses TIM instead of solder.

All that matters is Intel is slightly better at gaming. (Even though it's almost impossible to notice unless you're using an overclocked CPU with a 1080Ti at 1080p)

youtube.com/watch?v=IWAvwpANZ7c

>>reviews say it runs really hot and loud
>>know this is true of most recent gpus
no, my old AMD 290 would noticably heat the room up uncomfortably, my 980ti doesn't

its really sad

Also helpful to use a razor along the rows, so you know it's in line with the rest.

>play
>BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Thanks for your help but I broke one of the pins. I'm going to send this back to Amazon and say that its' faulty.

I have a Ryzen 1600 & friends and RX 580 in my shopping cart yet I'm struggling to see a reason to actually buy this shit. I don't do anything productive or important on my machine and all the modern AAA games are honestly dog shit.

It's so surreal; for the first time in my miserable life I have money to spend on nice PC components, but now I don't want to buy any of them.

WHEN WILL ETHERIUM MAKE THE SWITCH?

FUCK THESE PRICES.

>PGA
>2017

ayymd

Etherum just increased, Bitcoin too, XMR is a mild rollercoaster.

>yeah I forgot about that 2-7$ difference
You're missing the point, retard. I'm talking about total platform cost, since you want to include mobo cost. Buy the same 8 or 16GB of 3000MHz RAM for both and the total platform cost difference is tiny, while the i3 has significantly better gaming performance.

>1600 to the 8100
Why would anyone do that when the i5 8400 exists (if the 1600 was at MSRP)?

However I'll add in a 1600 build for 1080p in the my pcpartpicker now that the 1600 is at $190

>forced to pair Z370 with locked processors.
Not really that bad. You get fast RAM and you can get an unlocked CPU later if youwant

>It doesn't matter that Z370 is only a refreshed Kaby Lake chipset,
No

I'm sure you can find something you want to play. Get a "VR" HMD and fool around

same here with my 3k setup I've planned for months. I can actually buy it next week but there are so few games worthwhile I'm having second thoughts

I have 2 bitcoins

whats the most butt-fucking powerful GPU out there right now.
Or should I wait for volta.
What can I do now until volta comes out in that case(i have a 7900x workstation rig rn)

with 2 BTC just build a fucking datacenter-grade server with dual-EPYC chips and 1TB of ram with Quadros or Radeon Pros.

>Why would anyone do that when the i5 8400 exists
except the 8400 doesn't exist

Okay so I got my 8700k
If I set everything to 47x multiplier in BIOS everything runs fine
But if I go above it the system starts getting unstable while CPU-Z reports I'm still running at 4.7
Any idea why this happens? Voltage is fixed to 1.25 with no offset.

isnt 8700k the thign you have to delid?

I wouldn't say getting 50C for all 6 cores at 4.7GHz for 10 mins requires delidding

8100 is totally a great value guys!

is it reporting 4.7 under load or just idle?

>i have a 7900x workstation rig rn
Wow I didn't think anyone actually fell for the Skylake-X meme.

Is the Fractal Design Define R5 still the best case?

under load, I have turbo/speedstep/whateverelse turned on

should have bought it before the price hikes

I have it enable too, but it doesn't stop me from overclocking.

I had problems overclocking manually with my board too until I updated my bios, I would try that if you havent already

why is it a meme
something-something "doesn't let overwatch run at 5000 fps" something-something "avx-512 makes it use 50000 watts of power" or some other bullshit right?

No software out there uses avx512 more than 0.5% of the time.

I use it for video work and it's absolutely fine and smooth.

what chip? also xtu doesn't have voltage controls so you may have some instability, or if you are set to auto it might over apply voltage and thermal throttle which would tank your performance, further if you have a board that applys the max turbo frequency to all cores and then set a manual clock below that you will lose points

I haven't bought an Intel product since my Core2Duo laptop for school, once the Athlon 64 OEM scandal broke out I refused to purchase any more of their products. Its' just hilarious how people are shilling the 8100 and 8400 so hard despite being a kneejerk paper launch by Intel and locked to more expensive mobos.

I bought a 1070 earlier this year, thinking it's somewhat future proof and good value, considering I got it for effectively 330 bucks. I thought a 1070 was easily good for 1440p or 144 Hz gaming, turns out it can barely handle 60 Hz @ 1080p in demanding AAA titles with maxed out settings.

Should I get rid of it and buy a 1080ti or get a 2nd 1070? The investment would be roughly the same.

>I refused to purchase any more of their products
then why do you care about how much it costs?

I'm looking for a monitor that's at least 24" and 1080 for under $200. Any suggestions?

Because it was absolutely destroyed by Threadrpper in terms of price/performance and was a compete housefire too? The 7900X makes the FX 9590 look like a joke. Skylake-X isn't even good at gaming, the new mesh uarch and cache changes make it closer to Ryzen in gaming performance, even clocked higher. It's an absolute joke of a platform which was mocked by every single tech reviewer out there.

>why do you have an opinion on something you don't own?
Kill you are self.

wait for volta (coming in 4~6 months)

Interested in ultrawide? If so, wait for the LG 29UM60-P or one of its variants to go on sale again. It's hit $200 a couple times. IPS, 2560x1080, 75Hz, and Freesync

You're better off with a damn good single card than with Sli'd regular good cards. What are you playing, anyway?

>>why do you have an opinion on something you don't own?
>Kill you are self.
if that's all you heard then I'm sorry that I'm not sorry

have you set anything up in bios before hand, or have you just gone straight to xtu?
>have you delided?

I tried OC with bios but it's weird
refer to

Now that the dust has well and truly settled, what is the best value AM4 board? The B350s seem to have some VRM issues after watching buildzoid's videos, but the Taichi is kinda expensive in my country.

I almost responded with shitflinging and memes, but decided against it last second. I don't bring this up a lot because why would anyone care, but I'm very seriously ill and I could very well be dead in 6 months. So, this waitfaggotry is especially retarded to me.

Mass Effect Andromeda and Ghost Recon Wildlands were the two games that ran worse than I had hoped, The Witcher 2 runs at ~45fps @ 1080p on ultra, yes Assassins of Kings, the one that came out in 2011.