Arch Linux Desktop Desktop environment

Im new to Linux, Which Arch Linux desktop environment would you recommend for me?

Other urls found in this thread:

archmerge.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>new to Linux
Don't start with Arch
Install some user friendly distro first yo you can make your first steps without falling into a pit full of razor blades
Install standard Mint. It comes with Cinnamon

If you are now to Linux don't install arch - use antregos or manjaro instead. I highly recommend the first one. I think that arch-based distros are great choice for someone new to Linux - AUR makes a live much easier.

Pick xfce or KDE if you come from windows, take gnome if you used macOS.

And seriously, don't install pure arch - copying and pasting from archwiki won't take you anywhere.

don't install mint, that guy is a retard. arch is easy to install. use KDE.

To read the wiki

XFCE with a Windows95 look

Dude, OP stated right above you that he's new to Linux.
Anyway, consider Linux Mint for a month and then, if you don't feel fulfilled try switching to Manjaro.

That look so fucking comfy

arch is easy to install, there's a step by step guide, and mint is terrible

i recommend uninstalling arch and installing macOS

This.

First of all, don't use Arch if you're a beginner. And don't use any of the other Arch derivatives like Antergos or Manajaro either. Start with one of the *ubuntus, then once you feel comfortable after a while you can move up to one of the more advanced distributions.

Second, you wouldn't say an "Arch Linux desktop environment", because desktop environments aren't really distro-specific. Except for some distributions like Xubuntu that come out of the box with a certain DE, but you could always change it later.

And lastly, for a desktop environment I would recommend either KDE for something heavy or XFCE for something relatively lightweight. For a beginner distro that comes with one of these out of the box so you don't have to go through the trouble of installing it, I would recommend Kubuntu and Xubuntu (for KDE and XFCE respectively).

dont do anything this guy suggests except installing KDE

Why not?

Also I forgot to mention you should test out each DE/distro in a VM and see which one looks the best to you. And remember just because a DE might look like shit out of the box, you can always change it to your liking, and that's the glory of GNU/Linux.

Arch is easy if you can read properly
t. wangblows user

oh my god dont do this just install an operating system and a DE and use it holy fuck its not a life altering decision or some sort of challenge its just an OS

install updoc

>Windows sucks I'm gonna install Linux cause it's better
>tries to makes your desktop look like Windows
Never change Sup Forums

don't install Linux, go for Windows 7, it's more user-friendly.

i have crafted an infographic

I use gnome and love it, but it's not as cutsomizable as others

started using linux 3 weeks ago with arch. yesterday i entirely dropped windows and installed arch on my desktop. a lot to learn and a lot to read, but it's worth it. especially using i3 and terminal apps. it's nice knowing i'm not part of the botnet and my software is clean

i liked mouretsu pirates

Not true, you still have BIOS and blobs to take care of. If you have nVidia drivers than good luck. Also systemD if your autistic enough that is bothers you

Honestly this is the best advice on this thread. Distrohopped, used Antergos with XFCE, hopped to Arch, hopped more and landed back on Antergos with XFCE and never moved.

even if the software is published and open source it doesn't mean there isn't a backdoor inside it. arch isn't part of a botnet even if there's ways to get inside it through the back.

Wow, mac OS looks like THAT?

>Don't start with Arch
>Install some user friendly distro first
Like Gentoo.

install gentoo

KDE

Nah, its too manual. hes bound to ruin his system with bad permissions

I love this thread
>Do this
>No no, don't do what that guy has said

Fuck everyone who says mint is bad. It is basically just a good version of Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is the pinnacle of easy-to-use Linux, but the official Ubuntu branch developers have done questionable stuff and their de is generally considered bloated and clunky. Start with mint and as you yearn to customize work backwards and uninstall and replace stuff like the de and login manager, etc

MATE or Xfce if u have a poor pc or just want to have a really quick DE
KDE or Deepin if you want to have a beautiful DE

xfce is customizable af

arch linux was my first distro and now I'm a command line pro! thanks /g

With xfce new people can have some problems, for example xfce dont automount removable devices like a usb-flashdrives or mobile phones. Also xfce dont includes printer support, you must find in aur drivers for your printer, scanner, find soft and config cups. Also xfce cant autodetect your hdd, you must "mount /dev/sd* /mnt/*" and "amount" by your hand, thats too bad for begginers.

manjaro

mounting your own hdd builds character.

just install udisks2 for automount

literally none, at that point you might as well go full autism since you installed it for that

beginner*
hdds*
And more other errors.. Sorry for my eng, i'm russian.

well I guess I know what I'm gonna do this week

Ignore all this autism just do KDE it's well supported, light weight and looks nice.

Ignore the ubuntu babby plebian in this thread who probably got stuck at the Arch installer and gave up, Arch is a great beginner distro, it will punish your mistakes and really show you the ropes.

Arch is going to ruin itself before OP can desu

>Arch
>installer
What did he mean by this?

He probably means Antergos, the best Arch installer.

Antergos gnome is literally Ubuntu except you Pacman - S instead of apt-get

They both have access to all the software OP would ever use and break if you lose power while updating debate me faggots

Antergos does a really good job of making arch feel like the distro of the future

Manjaro turns arch into distros of the past

Why would you need a DE?
t. i3 user

Do not start with beginner's choice if you're interested in getting your hands dirty eventually.
You could spend years using Ubuntu without learning what an X server is.

Start with a minimal installation of Gentoo and make it work. You will fuck everything up, but you'll learn enough to make a proper installation the second time.
I had to spend a couple of weeks and read a lot to get through this process, but I've never had any problems after that.

i3-gaps

Wait, what? Manjaro is so much better

How?

It's very comfy and minimalistic. I absolutely love it.

Try ArchMerge. You get 3 environments out of the box: xfce, openbox, i3. You can try them all and see what you like best over time.

archmerge.com/

I use i3 with xfce4-panel and thunar.
Started with a full xfce4 desktop on Arch years ago, you can do it OP.

That's cool, I have a similar build. Do you have a smartphone with the C-USB connection? Because my arch dosn't detect it, it's really strange. It's the only issue I have nowadays with arch.

liking how something looks != liking how something works

The one in your pic.

loonix DEs are just now reaching windows 7 looks but still look worse than it, why wouldnt he want it to look like windows

No I don't, but I also have never ever had any storage not being recognized by Udiskie.
It mounts my iphone fine

background pls

thanks a lot!

same here just antergos KDE

on arch for 3y (0 problems), i dd my ssd to img monthly and store it on hdd just in case if i break something and cant fix it :D

no, test first than install

its ok i understood you

i was on Arch for long time, at some point i needed to reinstall my OS so i wanted to use Manajro or Antergos (because EFI support).
Manjaro Shit (Laggy, unstable, slow )
Antergos Good (after removing antergos repos and minor bloats)

>Arch Linux Desktop Desktop environment

No such thing

all wrong

KDE

Antergos is an Arch Linux graphical installer where as Manjaro is a downstream, heavily modified, hobbyist distribution

That's what I find so strange. Udisk doesn't recognize it, neither does "lsblk".

LARBS

Install a different file manager then. You aren't limited to stock.

Try manjaro. It's Arch for new people or people who don't give a shit.

Why bother with that stupid shit when there's decent classic looking themes already for XFCE? You have clearlooks or Zukitre. Those look better without becoming any less "comfy" if that's the word.

go away luke