Finally fall for the Linux mene

>Finally fall for the Linux mene
>install Ubuntu on a test machine
>fucking thing sucks, can't use any of the programs I rely for daily use aside from Firefox
>no drivers for some of my hardware
>have to spend so much time on the fucking terminal to do the simplest of tasks
>uninstall

What's the appeal of Linux when even "user friendly" variants like Gentoo and Linux are such a fucking pain in the ass to use? I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

coreboot.org/
libreboot.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

desu it doesn't actually sound like you used linux at all

this is just a stale and boring bait thread

can you try and make it more interesting next time?

Ok, so what do you use Linux for?

ok

Running my supercomputer.

It's a CIAnigger.
He currently has two threads on here, including this one.

/tinfoil

Even if "le CIA/NSA has a backdoor on Windows" meme is true, Linux is still useless to hide your degenerate cp since they still have backdoors at hardware level.

>Things that never happened: the post
Amazing how wincucks get so insecure over Linux lmao

Which is why Libreboot and Coreboot+ME_Cleaner exits

No seriously, enlighten me. If Linux is so amazing, can you tell me any uses where it BTFOs Winblows/Mac?

For laptops, desktops, phone, tablet, watch, router, TV, fridge, printer and the fucking dishwasher.
One OS to rule them all, one OS to run them.

>Which is why Libreboot and Coreboot+ME_Cleaner exits

Interesting, tell me more.

Software development. Especially if you are working with systems programming with C/C++.

As someone who has had experience with all three OSes, I'd be happy to.
Linux is WAY faster than Winblows. On any winblows install, even a fresh one, there are moments where I feel like I'm waiting for fucking ever for it to do something that shouldn't take that long, like download/install updates, or format an external hard drive. The UI navigation also feels sluggish in general. On GNU/Linux, things feel very fast, updates happen in a fraction of the time it takes Winblows to do it and don't require a fucking reboot every time, and formatting disks is a speedier process. General usability has always been far better for me on GNU/Linux than on Winblows.
As far as specific uses, aside from it being the #1 OS for server use hands down, I find that it is also nice for giving some new purpose to older hardware. You got an old PC or lappy that is getting more than a little slow with windows these days? Install a GNU/Linux distro and slap an SSD in that bitch and it'll be snappy once again.

Holy shit! I literally had the same experience with Windows! What are the odds?

This too. It's a great platform for programmers.

I would love to! The main, most concerning hardware-level backdoor that exists right now is the Intel Management Engine. This is something that exists for pretty much all Intel processors, and is a huge backdoor into the system. AMD has this sort of thing too, with its Platform Security Processor. Using Libreboot, this backdoor can be fully removed on some old Intel boards, and some slightly less old AMD boards. Coreboot+ME_Cleaner doesn't get rid of it entirely, but from what I understand, it gets rid of most of the networking components of the ME, so it shouldn't be able to phone home to (((them)))

>You got an old PC or lappy that is getting more than a little slow with windows these days? Install a GNU/Linux distro and slap an SSD in that bitch and it'll be snappy once again.

Thanks for the honest answer user, looks like if I'm going to install Linux again it will be for a HTPC, NAS or something.

>I would love to! The main, most concerning hardware-level backdoor that exists right now is the Intel Management Engine. This is something that exists for pretty much all Intel processors, and is a huge backdoor into the system. AMD has this sort of thing too, with its Platform Security Processor. Using Libreboot, this backdoor can be fully removed on some old Intel boards, and some slightly less old AMD boards. Coreboot+ME_Cleaner doesn't get rid of it entirely, but from what I understand, it gets rid of most of the networking components of the ME, so it shouldn't be able to phone home to (((them)))

Or this, that's actually impressive. I'll look more into this.

Here's some sites for that
coreboot.org/
libreboot.org/

All Microsoft telemarketers should be fired.

Hopefully AMD opens up their PSP shit

>install Ubuntu
>"user friendly" variants like
>Gentoo
>Linux
> I'm not trolling
Yes (you) are.
Mods please kill this thread.

>implying Sup Forums encourages buying overpriced software that makes the leftist JEWS of (((Microsoft))) even richer.

Look it's the daily a negro tries Linux and fails
Fuck of you negroid piece of shit, subhumans don't belong here.

There was actually a petition a while back some people made for the PSP to be open-sourced. After a while, someone from AMD said that they'd seen it, and it had actually reached the upper management of the company. However, I think they ended up either saying no, or never mentioning it again.

They probably will do it when their zen platform hype reduces a bit.

I hope so

How to fight undercover telemarketing?

this. love programming in linux and could never go back to the window's way of doing it. almost everything you need is one terminal command away and you can get a development environment up and running in minutes. I miss that VS debugger though, but not nearly enough to crawl back to windows.

Bullshit, really. Libreboot doesn't support new cpu at all, and old ones didn't have hardware botnet in the first place. Basically, you are stuck with 10 years old hardware if you want to use libreboot.

Actually, the gdb cli is pretty comfy once you get used to it. Not even kidding.
You can use a frontend with Clion, Qt Creator, Netbeans, VS Code and eclipse too.

>debugger
get an IDE

Sadly, yes. GNU/Linux makes it a little easier, as it performs pretty damn well on old hardware as I previously mentioned, but that is indeed the state of things right now. At least until more work is done to be able to liberate newer computers, or until things such as RISC-V take off.

I use code::blocks+valgrind and it works pretty good most of the time. except when CB shits it's self(seems to happen more often with my bigger projects). so I may give some of those other ides a shot.

never really used gdb cli, just once or twice for doing some quick backtraces. is there any benefit using it directly?

>The OS I have used for years and know my way around works better than an OS I never used and don't know my way around
hmmm......

IDEs are for codelets

Doesn't sound like you have an actual use for linux

Don't bother installing it unless you want to learn computer shit or have an actual reason to use it.

The 'user friendly' distros are great for IT professionals who need a running linux box with little to no setup, but not really for non-tech people

There was an interview a while back, where some AMD employes said that this won't happen.
I hope that they at least offer a way to disable it, but I guess this won't happen either.

If you don't want to risk bricking your hardware, you should take a look at Purism Librem Notebooks.
They're designed to actually work well with linux, get shipped with Coreboot and the newer charges are coming with disabled Management Engine aswell, so you don't need to brick your hardware.
Negative point: They're pretty expensive as they dont have a real market beside privacy-interested people, which are really few people.

And to OP and every other Linux hater here: I work with linux since a couple years now, and beside of some really special cases, I don't see a reason to move back to windows.
These cases are:
Gaming (I solved this with Dual Booting with Windows 7 on a seperate SSD. I also plug the other OS SSD off when working, so they don't see each other, I'm using some cheap 5,25" hot-swap frames for that).
Other cases are really special software, like Adobe stuff, AutoCAD, Sony Vegas Pro etc.

For daily use like E-Mail, Office, Surfing, listen to music / watching movies, developing and all kind of other shit, linux works great.

If you have problems with never hardware, try Fedora. It's RedHad shit, but they always have a up2date kernel with all drivers and its still pretty good for desktop using.

>inpliying that the CIA / NSA scan for cp trough hardware backdoors

Bullshit. The only hard thing for non-tech people is installing Linux.
Ubuntu and Mint are fucking easy to deal with, best example are the fucking grandparents of a friend. They're 85 or something, and have no fucking clue from anything, but with a bit of help and time to get used to it, they're doing fine.
The problem is that people are fucking mad, like "OH NO, LINUX, I HEARD ITS SO COMPLICATED, I'M SURE I CAN'T DEAL WITH IT, I DON'T WANT IT, GIVE ME BACK MY WINGBLOWS"
Srsly, go fuck yourself with that attitude.
Either you really try it or keep getting fucked my microsoft, but don't blame linux for beeing a lazy piece of shit

>Implying that they don't

I never said anything about 'user friendly distros' being too hard for non-tech people

Im just saying that non tech people don't get any of the tangible befits of using GNU/Linux provides for IT professionals, and with the lack of software they use on the daily (games, word, other normie shit..), it is way easier for them to just use windows or macOS

This is reality.

Maybe one day linux will make sense for the average non-tech person to use but we aren't there yet

Except for Games, there's no reason to not use linux. Seriously.
Office -> Libreoffice, which runs great under linux (unlike on windows, sadly). The menu also actually makes sense, not like the new office which is pure garbage
Updating software is a lot easier and faster, it doesn't FORCE you to update your software, it doesn't install a new version of the OS which breaks your software without asking you, it needs a lot less resources and with XFCE you have a good, simple desktop to work with.
When friends/family ask me for help on their old hardware, I ALWAYS install them linux (of course I back up their data, look what software they had installed and install it / alternatives on linux then).
Never mad anyone who was mad about it.

keep installing linux on normie's computers, its a good thing.

but it doesn't mean that the people who don't want to use linux or have problems with it don't have legitimate reasons.

Being this clueless about what users want is only going to hold back the adoption of GNU/Linux in the desktop market

ME cleaner neutralizes the botnet even on modern kiketel chips by making it crash, the network code is removed just to be sure

It'd be better if you didn't have to use a giant hack to not have a vulnerable system, and it's not Stallman approved but it's the best thing we've got if you don't want to use 10 year old doritoes

>"user friendly" variants like Gentoo
Do you know how I know this is a paid shill post?

Ubuntu has a graphical settings menu specifically for installing drivers. Also what programs do you need? A lot of then have replacements.

By getting mods to care.