Its been 10 years now since tv stations moved to "HD"

its been 10 years now since tv stations moved to "HD"

but when will we eventually drop these contrived labels to specific resolutions

why isnt there some type of standard met, similar to DDR memory that says you cant call it a specific generation unless it is at least this speed (resolution)

Never, cable jews want to give you the lowest quality shit possible while making people think they're paying for something good.

my cable is providing me with "1080i" but the macroblocks and banding are all over the place really

Idk what you’re asking. Is it just that they aren’t labeled as they should be? hd fhd qhd and uhh

But we have higher refresh rates now.

UHD

The labels are misleading. When 99% of people hear "HD" they think "1920x1080" resolution. But technically anything >= 1280x720 is HD. Normies don't know things like FHD/QHD and such.

go a head, tell a normie that they're not watching a TV in 1080p but 1920x1080 progressive-scan resolution and you can watch them glaze over the instant you say more than four numbers.

why can't we just go back saying the actual resolutions instead of speaking in marketing buzzwords

sure they do, 720p is HD, 1080 is FullHD 1440p is 2k and 2160p is 4k

Resolution is marketed because it's fairly simple to understand and theoretically bigger is better. Actual video quality is way too complex an issue to summarize in a marketable number/term so it doesn't get marketed.

>1080i instead of 720p
This is fucking stupid. It's just as dumb as TV shows broadcasting at 24fps when they know TVs are 60Hz.

>hd fhd qhd and uhh

those are fucking retarted

we also have higher bitrates which is the actual main culprit for video clarity

which is why a standard DVD that you rip and play back will have zero ghosting and also look better than streaming "HD"

no but the fact the contrived colored letters only start appearing half-way up the list is just rediculous

why not just fucking list the resolutions as normal

Blame the retarded directors who want a more "film-like" feel for their TV shows.

>no but the fact the contrived colored letters only start appearing half-way up the list is just rediculous
Oh, you're complaining about the colored letters there? It's because *users* are retarded. They don't care about the underlying technology but just know a few buzzwords. Youtube exploits that. TV companies exploit that. It'll never end.

>calling something full
>then having other qualities above it

thats literally broken language

Not soon since low res phones are a thing.

Marketers never think about the long term so they never think about how ridiculous their buzzwords sound in the context of possible future technologies.

"Full" was never a technical term in this context. It's all bullshit.

UDH != 4K.

its actually very easy to market

list the raw specs

the native resolution
the refresh rate
and the brightness and contrast rations

also input and response times for gaming aspects

but the first 3 are the only thing that should be needed and then you can simply narrow your choice by price and size

PS i left out more intricate issues like "full array" and other things pertaining to the back light because i would hope everything is atleast full array now and issues like view angle banding doesnt exist

get back to Sup Forums you distended anus.

I was talking about digital video, not displays.

ANUDDA SHOAH

this, i remember when i had verizon fios and multiple channels had horrendus compression artefacts around the UI for stations

especially espn or other sports games where theres always various overlays and it was OBVIOUS

i atleast respect the fact you can have native passthru

but you dont even get those compression artefts on the streaming platforms, espn itself would look very clear and its a lower bitrate

and TV stations use h264 so it wasnt an encoding codec issue

The closest you’d get to that is being knifed in the street like all the rest of the Brown Shirts.

History wasn't you strong suit, good goyim

>BUT MUH PEOPLE GET SICK FROM ANYTHING OVER 24FPS
If I have to hear that excuse one more time I will slit my cock hole open and pour maggots in there, and then I will fuck random kids and infect them all.

remember when we used to call resolutions what they actually were like 1024x768 instead of saying "HD" or whatever the fuck

HD is usually used to hide the fact that its not 1080p. Companies brag about 1080p, but if its 720p or 1080i they'll say HD.

but all the resolutions are bullshit cause when you open the performance monitor in windows and look at the actual network activity its never higher than 1Mbps which is absurd

tv meanwhile streams at 8Mbps just for comparision

and standard DVDs are like 20Mbps

>never higher than 1Mbps
probably because of DASH playback where youtube stops buffering after you've preloaded around 150s worth of video

lmao in germany most TV stations still don't have HD as a standard. You have to pay like 60€ a year to get HD. Another reason to never watch TV.

no every streaming service

every sports league streaming, every premium movie streaming

That's simply not true, I don't know wtf you're doing but it definitely doesn't work like that on my machine

>1440p is 2k
*qhd
4k is uhd
also 1440p is 2.5k,

>another retard who actually thinks 1440p is 2K
2K is 1080p. Fact.

Or 858p for cropped Cinema Scope (I guess most Hollywood movies?)

But calling 1440p 2K is retarded as fuck and I don't think even any marketer ever has said like that.

That might have something to do with contracts between device manufacturers and service providers. I've often noticed that some TVs with Youtube-app give superior iq compared to web browser in same Network.

Might differ according to location too.

UHD/4K is literally 4xHD

It's probably Newegg's fault, their 1440p are under the 2k category which is stupid.

>2017 and 720p is still marketed as "hd"
>massive premiums are put on laptops for 1920x1080p even though my 5.5 inch phone has a 2560x1440p resolution
>jews are literally breaking the english language to shill their stupid products

idgaf what justification or terminology you try to use to justify this, fuck this bullshit

>480p
>not 486p