What is the point even of having a high-paying tech job if at the end of the day you still have to go to work at a...

What is the point even of having a high-paying tech job if at the end of the day you still have to go to work at a cubicle/open office or be on call 24 hours to fix some problem?

At this rate you are just a high-tier slave.

You are just a rabbit chasing the ever-increasing number. 50k, 60k, 100k, 120k+options. 1m networth, a nice house etc etc.

Even richfucks still go to work every day because they are addicted to the attention.

is NEETism truly the only escape of this modern age slavery of the mind and body?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_retirement_account
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What is the point indeed. I a network admin. Said fuck that. Became a gardner, its super comfy

I agree. I moved from working in tech to becoming janitor because it's much less stressful. Cleaning toilets and picking up poop is way better than fixing other people's computer problems on call.

if you know how to program there's no reason to be a wage slave, just do your own thing that generates an income. game/app/website plenty of options

that way you can live the neet life and make money

>What is the point even of having a high-paying tech job if at the end of the day you still have to go to work at a cubicle/open office or be on call 24 hours to fix some problem?
Generally you're not on call 24/7. Anywhere sane you'll take on call in portions. I'm only on call for a week at a time for primary, then another for backup with a month in between each time. I get woken up rarely because most of our stuff is stable.

I also live next door to work so my commute is basically a walk into the elevator. Not having to drive at all does wonders for your sanity.

>You are just a rabbit chasing the ever-increasing number. 50k, 60k, 100k, 120k+options. 1m networth, a nice house etc etc.
I'm pretty happy with my salary as a Junior, if I can make about ~10-15k more as a regular or eventually senior that should be good enough in my opinion. I just want enough that I could basically afford double my rent in case I need to, failing that, put that extra money into savings or contribute to a IRA instead of my company's 401k plan atm.

>is NEETism truly the only escape of this modern age slavery of the mind and body?
Lol no. Find a hobby. I did that shit when I was out of work and not in school either while looking for a job. It's awful, you get bored in a couple weeks and not being financially secure just eats away at your mental health.

>implying all high-paying tech jobs are the same

i work from home while making six figures. haven't seen my boss in-person for almost a year now. true i'm on pager duty but i haven't paged in like 2 years. and if i do i get compensated for my time. shit is so cash

at some point you need to realize that more money won't make you happier, I'd say 60k to 100k is the golden spot.

>contribute to a IRA
Fuck off, we really don't need more shitty countries in Europe. I'll be fucking first to go to Ireland and fuck your ass with a tank.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_retirement_account

oh, now I feel stupid. Well then continue doing what you're doing. Have a nice day.

>It's awful, you get bored in a couple weeks
this is the thing I've never understood. Most people will apparently do work just so they aren't doing nothing. Why do you find boredom so onerous? I wouldn't call it fun, but it beats working.

Because I enjoy the work I'm doing and I like socializing with my coworkers. I can only sit and play videogames for so long, it gets boring fast. Work gets me out of the house, gets me talking to people and gives me ideas on what I might be interested in working on next.

Not to mention when I finish writing, integrating or implementing something and it works (mostly) flawlessly I get a great sense of accomplishment when I see other people using it knowing it makes their job a bit easier.

Also I can't seriously imagine being bored without work.
>wake up
>go for a run
>relax in hot bath, because why not you're not in hurry
>eat breakfast
>go to gym
>make dinner
>watch films/play games/have fun time with you gf/whatever else you like
>go to sleep

>Not contributing to your employers 401k

Nigga if your employer will match theres no reason not to unless you plan not to stick around long enough to get fully vested. But since you say you already live next door sounds like you're pretty committed to stick around.

That's money you're literally losing out on. At least think about putting in enough to get full contribution from your employer.

>I enjoy the work I'm doing
So it doesn't become unenjoyable just by virtue of being work, and being a task that you have to complete by X deadline, like it or not? That was always my experience. I ruined some interests and hobbies I had by studying them in college. Once it was about a grade and due dates and homework then learning things stopped being fun and started being a chore.

This. I'm a wagecuck myself, but I don't understand how people can be bored. There's so much shit to do (that doesn't much/anything). And even than, a little bit of boredom is still better than working

I meant in addition to. I'm already contributing 12% on top of the default 6% my employer provides (regardless if you pay into it). If I can get a 5-10k pay bump with the promotion to regular engineer I'll definitely be bumping my contribution up a bit since it's so little off my monthly check to up the percentage.

>At this rate you are just a high-tier slave.
only if your'e doing work you don't want to do
if you like technology, you can probably find a job doing something you like doing

I don't have deadlines for any of the work I'm doing since we're not a customer facing thing. At best we have tentative deadlines e.g. "We'll get it done this year" or "we'll get it done in the next couple months". That's what's great about my management, directors etc, they understand there's no betting on deadlines, we just say we'll have it done and get it done eventually.

For me it was the complete opposite. Most of the classes I took for CS/IT I was interested in, but if they were for a grade and they didn't let me program or do something interactive I was pretty apathetic in doing it. I enjoyed the lecture/theory of a lot of it, but hated getting tested over it. However, some of the most difficult courses I took were all programming, e.g. AI and my research capstone project were a ton of fun, albeit difficult.

Most programming projects I'd first do the bare minimum to get an A, then do my own thing that would be more fun that was more involved anyhow. I learned quite a bit just tinkering on my own, it's partly why I have the job I have now.

Sure, not everything is enjoyable, but nothing is ever 100% pain/toil free. That's part of the fun though. At work in transitioning a bunch of legacy stuff I've automated practically all portions of the manual stuff that kept bogging us down on a daily basis. Gives us more time to relax and finish up other things.

the point is to retire as early as possible so you can do hobbies that you actually enjoy whatever they may be

Think longer than a single lifetime, the more you earn, the more you can save, the more you can leave for children. Teach them to do the same and eventually your family might be able to free yourselves from slavery.

that's only true while being a wageslave. A LOT of money makes you happier again, say several millions, so you have the option of never working again.

Is it really how it is in the US? I mostly work in europe, over here the norm is a dedicated floor for engineering with individual offices, and calling your employees outside of business hours is illegal.

I live in the EU too, but I have a support contract for one of my clients so that they can call me 24/7. Without telling them I wrote automated tests for about 90% of the features, so the only times they call me is when the server is down, then I just have to open a critical ticket on the provider's website and confirm that the application is up and running. I get paid on a daily basis, and every simple call like that gives me about an extra $500.

This is why I quit my high paying tech job for low-wage cryptocurrency mining.

I wouldn't say that, I spent a few months as a NEET and to be fair I got extremely depressed, I did nothing but fap and play video games all the time, but when I program and do actual work? Feels really great, like you're not a useless piece of shit.

Anecdotal, but means a lot to me.

Because you can retire after 5 years.

>eat breakfast
>go to gym
>make dinner
Here's your problem, you skipped the ENTIRE FUCKING DAY

holy shit

>wake up
>laze about in bed because there's nothing to get up for
>almost lunch time, get up finally
>forget to brush teeth or shower again, will do it later i guess
>eat anything just to get me by
>sit at my computer
>...
>oops it's already 3AM and I did a whole lot of nothing, guess I'm going to sleep
>repeat

Kill me