news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2069810
cock.li/xmpp
xmpp.org/getting-started/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMPP
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMEMO
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Harmful bloat.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2069810

I use both it and IRC. It's useful for talking to people who want a ``modern'' type of chat.

>news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2069810
>2489 days ago
Yeah that's not a real source.

you are a faggot and suck my dick.
source: me, 0 days ago

Best thing since sliced bread.

Whatsapp protocol is based on XMPP, they even used a modified version of ejabberd as server.
faggots on hacker news don't know shit.

Someone explain. Is XMPP a messaging protocol like IRC where your email is your ID and it is decentralized and you can store your chats on your server? What's the difference between XMPP and IRC?

>your email is your ID
No, you have a Jabber address, which is not your email address. It's similar to email though in that both email and Jabber are decentralised, and federated.
>you can store your chats on your server
Not on any server I use. I don't know.
>What's the difference between XMPP and IRC
You can mark yourself as available/busy/offline, and more easily perform file transfers.

Based on cock.li/xmpp
So is Jabber address unique to only 1 particular server or are they unique the world over. If you and I were on different servers, would I have to create another account on that server to talk with you?

xmpp.org/getting-started/
>If you and I were on different servers, would I have to create another account on that server to talk with you?
No. Jabber is federated. People on cock.li can talk to people on jabber.at
>So is Jabber address unique to only 1 particular server or are they unique the world over
I don't understand you. [email protected] and [email protected] would be two different people, yes.

So even I can create my own server, get a domain and be a part of the XMPP network? Is XMPP id like an email address?

Someone please be my friend

>So even I can create my own server, get a domain and be a part of the XMPP network?
Yes.
>Is XMPP id like an email address?
I again, don't understand you. The answer is probably yes.

Matrix (as in riot.im) is better now.

Yes, exactly.
XMPP is a federated protocol, everyone can host his own server and be part of the network just like everyone can host an email server and send emails to every other email server.

>Electron
No thanks.

So there's only one big network as opposed to multiple independent networks like in IRC?

XMPP is exactly like email, what's so difficult to understand?
Everyone can host his own XMPP server and chat with every other existent user (JID), just like everyone can host his own email server and write email to every other user on every existing email server.
Wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMPP

Nice try CIA. Snowden already showed us that xmpp with otr is the only real secure messaging protocol.

I'd love to use it, but nobody else I know gives a shit and most don't even know there are alternatives to Whatsapp

if I had friends I would use it to chat with them

Anything with OTR is secure, not just XMPP: you can use OTR with IRC or SIP, too.

OMEMO is even better than OTR and also works with offline contacts.

Its not tho. It will be eventually, but it's buggy as fuck, ugly, and their own official server can't even into online status

OMEMO, unlike OTR, isn't end to end encryption, as it does not force a conversation to be solely between two endpoints.

From wiki: "OMEMO is an extension to the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP, "Jabber") for multi-client end-to-end encryption"
Sauce: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMEMO

Riot is also pretty useless as it's trying to be a new IRC, and no one gives a fuck. Discord has them already beat and no one except few freetards will switch. Especially since they don't even plan to integrate features like a normal nonretarded 1:1 chat and friend roster.

It's impressive. Using jitsi as client for video chat, but that is a little bit buggy.

>Especially since they don't even plan to integrate features like a normal nonretarded 1:1 chat and friend roster
t. i've never really tried riot

>1:1 chat is literally just a room with two people in it
>no online/offline friend roster except for "contacts" like in a fucking contact book
>for some reason we need groundbreaking features like room topic for 1:1 chat

>t. i've never really tried riot
using it rite now to chat one on one, werks like a motherbitch
whats a 1:1 chat on discord, if not a "room with two people in it", is it a tube between people or some sort of balloons or a digital pigeon flying on a frisbee near your mouth?

It's a room between two people that doesn't try to look like an irc channel for two. You know very well what I mean and just being retarded on purpose.
>werks
Half the time it doesn't even trigger the notification, state of the art software.
>can't even fucking handle pic related

it really looks like any god damn chat app-app software on android tablet, not a room or a hall or stadium
>pic related
what do you even mean, "ja nevim ne"?

maybe its a typo "so desu ne"

Yep, you're obviously being retarded on purpose.
Also
>0/2 active memebers
Protip: that's wrong

>Yep, you're obviously being retarded
not an argument, you're just not making much sense

Anyone wanna talk?

>muh I'll just resort to "not an argument" pretending I'm the president if my debate club
There's nothing to argue or disprove other than the fact of you being retarded

It doesn't encrypt metadata and it throws it's hands up and pushes the problem of key distribution and trust verification onto the user. It's like half a protocol.

I would use XMPP if anybody I knew had an account.

XMPP is basically what Sup Forums shutins use to communicate with each other due to lack of friends.

Why don't we just all go to the Sup Forums MUC?

Sup [email protected]

>Why don't we just all go to the Sup Forums MUC?

Says I'm not in the member's list.

We need to make a new room.

>I would use XMPP if anybody I knew had an account
You can be the first person you know to have a second account. When I did that, other people were willing to make accounts, knowing I had one.