I am mad at you /g

Why the hell didn't you tell me about how comfy Debian + Cinnamon is? Why did you want me to waste my life with Arch and Gentoo instead having a GF?

Why did you refuse to say how amazing Debian is.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/Aptitude#Advanced_search_patterns
aptitude.alioth.debian.org/doc/en/
debian-administration.org/article/147/Installing_packages_from_source_code_with_checkinstall
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't listen to Sup Forums.
I'm sure a bunch of them just use ubuntu.

what's wrong with ubuntu? you can still customize it as you want

>Using linux
Use *BSD instead. It respects your 'real' freedom.

enjoy outdated packages and shitty font rendering

Debian is really nice. I like how customizable the experience of it is. You can do an install with a full desktop of your choice, you can go for the minimal install and set up everything from the ground up like Arch, you can have it be fully Free as in Freedom, you can optionally install proprietary stuff if your hardware won't work or something, You can keep it super stable, You can move up to testing for a mix of speedy and comfy, you can go fully bleeding-edge with sid.

Yall need to give this distro a shot if you haven't.

>He doesn't know how to move to testing

>Security for testing and unstable is not officially guaranteed, but the team tracks those distributions as well in the security tracker. A number of regular volunteers outside of the team help with triaging issues on the security tracker.
amount of retards on Sup Forums is astonishing

>88
What the fuck is wrong with Ubuntu? Because it works out of the box? Because it's actually a distro which I don't have to fix 88 times a day? You faggots complain that nobody uses Linux and when we have a distro which can be used by normal people you complain even more. I hate you sometimes so much Sup Forums.

Debian is awesome. Best OS in the world. Offers the freedom of freedom, and the freedom of taking your own rights away.

>he thinks meme distros like arch and void are better about security

Exactly. You want botnet? You can have it on Debian, but it defaults to a stallman-approved state. The only reason he doesn't outright endorse it is because they give the option of enabling nonfree.

give me some basic cool hacker 0day tips for a debian beginner

because Debian + XFCE is comfier

This

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
This will unlock all bonus themes for your Windows Managerwithout purchasing the expansion pack!

They had a botnet in and keep fumblefucking with everything (Unity! No, not Unity! Xorg! Wayland!). They're the Windows of UNIX systems

WHAT THE FUCK WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER WHAT THE FUCK

botnet is retarded meme, that's not argument
and about changing everything? well every single fucking distro does this, linux is shit but I still like it

>placing adware into your system by default is not an argument

At the risk of sounding cliche. Can't you do thst with Gentoo also?

botnet is still a meme and probably the most retarded I've ever seen on Sup Forums
>everything I don't like is a BOTNET
You faggots don't even know anymore what is a true meaning of that word.
t. Chrome user. I'll never fall for Sup Forums memes

Arch takes like 20 minutes to install you fucking retard HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>well every single fucking distro does this
Except slackware

Sup Forums and memes? Well I am shocked! How new are you dude?

Also don't forget the fact that after 10+ years they still haven't fixed the WiFi authentication bug, which I personally know a few people it actively drove away, because everyone is memeing how Ubuntu is the easiest distro and then it didn't werk.

What is that program running?

terminal

That's not terminal.

>botnet is still a meme and probably the most retarded I've ever seen on Sup Forums
How many fucking Snowdens you need to finally realise that botnet is not a meme?
Bloat is a meme, botnet is not.

Are you retarded?

>meme DE that spawned from a meme distro

oh what an interesting new program i'm gonna try it

sudo apt-get install ->not in the repo

whatever i'll find a ppa -> no ppa for debian

fuck it i'm gonna compile it from source -> program x depends on y but y has no installation candidate

whatever, gonna play Mines

Only linux noobs who consider themselves 1337 h4x0rz for partitioning their harddrives say dimwitted shit like that. These uninformed opinions should be ignored.

I used Debian stable and the X server would frequently crash. If I tried to fullscreen mpv, X would crash unless I specified the driver as an argument. Useless garbage.

sudo apt-get install neofetch

apt-get install aptitude
is an interactive, ncurses based package manager
wiki.debian.org/Aptitude#Advanced_search_patterns
aptitude.alioth.debian.org/doc/en/
If you like lean systems, disable
[_] Install recommended packages automatically

aptitude install dwww
Local web application that serves man pages and additional documentation for every installed package

aptitude install apt-file
search for files in packages that you don't have installed yet

aptitude purge $(dpkg -l |grep linux-image |awk '{ print $2 }' |head --lines=-1)
... removes all installed kernels but the latest

dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n
List installed packages sorted by size

The Linux kernel Makefile comes with
make deb
to generate proper packages

apt-get install checkinstall
generates packages for any custom 3rd party software
debian-administration.org/article/147/Installing_packages_from_source_code_with_checkinstall

Gentoo doesn't have a long-term stable release
Debian has both rolling release (unstable) and stable

>Cinnamon
Faggot. MATE is better.

>oh what an interesting new program i'm gonna try it
>sudo apt-get install ->not in the repo
You apparently didn't enable contrib, non-free, and backports in your package sources.list. N00b-level oversight. Debian has one of the largest, most comprehensive and well-maintained repos of any Linux distro.

>whatever i'll find a ppa -> no ppa for debian
Debian is well-supported in terms of availability of .deb packages from third party developers. You can also easily add other repos if you trust them, e.g. torproject repo or many others.

>fuck it i'm gonna compile it from source -> program x depends on y but y has no installation candidate
Generic dependency problem in any OS, especially for n00bs who don't read readmes or installation instructions. Actually, compilation from source works really well in most cases with Debian.

>whatever, gonna play Mines
>...
That sounds about your level. Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on the way out.

>a bunch of them just use ubuntu
I use Mint, but I'm considering making the switch to Void

Thanks for actually giving a nice answer user

Also useful:
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

= install images that include non-free firmware,
e.g. for laptops when you don't have access to Ethernet

dpkg -S file
find package that owns a file

dpkg -L package
list files belonging to package

dpkg -l