/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

Official /tpg/ Pisscord Server:
discord.gg/cWZ8MgZ

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/dUfK2AS
aliexpress.com/item/New-Laptop-LCD-Screen-AU-Optronics-B140HAN01-1-B140HAN01-B140HAN01-2-B140HAN01-3-Full-HD-LCD/32800537382.html
eff.org/deeplinks/2017/05/intels-management-engine-security-hazard-and-users-need-way-disable-it
coreboot.org/Intel_Management_Engine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Never owned one before but will be getting this one I found on Ebay when I get paid, seems pretty good.

Is it worth it to replace the LCD panel on this fellow?

My X220 is rotting away like an old tablet. I lost the only place I go to where I would ever need a computer outside of home. But I don't want to just get rid of it either.

Are there any good resellers in britbongland? I'm spending three weeks here and need to replace the display lid on my x220

Modern quad core business laptop with TB3?

question from last thread

Thinkpad W520
i7 2760QM - 2.4GHz
24gb ram
Nvidia Quadro 2000 2gb vram
160gb ssd with fresh install
1080p screen
few minor scratches on the screen. Includes optical drive and caddy for second hard drive

350 good or bad price? It's local, so no shipping or tax.

Used for misc browsing, mobile computing, light gaymens, videos, possible living room computer

What are the options?

you will not regret it.

Fix it, or sell it busted I guess.

Anyone has a dockstation with a bluray writer? I'd like to know optic drive models and dock models that are compatible with each other. I'll be using it with an x220.

Oh, I thought you were talking about some other resolution or somehing.. The Core Duo isn't all that fun to use, I got a C2D for my X60s and now it's quite comfy. I'd say it's worth it

Sounds good

Oh yeah I should've worded it better sorry.
I'm not going to use it at all. I own a computer repair shop in chicago. I'm going to sell it, but I'm not sure if I would make the money back if I put a new LCD in it rather than just selling it busted.

Is it a bad move to swap my T420 for an X220 for that extra portability ?

How much should I sell it for if it has an SSD ?

Thinkpad with 1080p IPS and 7+ battery?

>when i get paid
you don't have savings? you don't work a STEM job? WHy are you on Sup Forums lad?

They're dirt cheap even when fully working, so probably not worth it..

Gotcha, thanks my man

If you wanna take the small hit on power, then no, not at all.

I'll give you $100 USD for it.

Im in europe friend.

Could´ve sworn the CPU´s where the same, but that screen quality is better no ?
Or is the 1600 x 900 screen upgrade an IPS screen ?

What could cause a trackpoint and trackpad to both stop working? It worked after a fresh install of Win 10, but then seemed to stop after I installed Lenovo software.

Does it work if you boot linux?

Guys, should I buy a X60, T60 or X200 for comfy browsing and watching video?
I know that X60/T60 is easier to libreboot but whatever.
Other than that how do they compare?

What Thinkpad should I buy?

I want the best possible screen these things have. Something that I can upgrade easily, I can buy my own RAM, and CPU, so a bare laptop would be great.

DISCORD HERE discord.gg/dUfK2AS

PUT THE LINK IN THE OP NEXT TIME, FUCK

I DID NOT READ THE OP, I APOLOGIZE

Nope no savings, I started a job with HM government last month and had to work a month in hand so my first payday is at the end of this month. The past month and a half has been hell.

Also I doubt most anons here have STEM jobs judging from their battle stations, fondness of anime and traps

Had an x200, it has a 1280x800 16:10 screen, so 720p videos map 1:1 on it. The core2duo is enough to decode whatever you throw at it.

I have a T60 with a 1.6 CD, 14", and it's fine for 720p (off the drive) but can struggle quite a bit with things in the browser. Plus it's a right lump so if you want something mobile I'd go with either of the X range ones.

I want to do the software bios flash on my X301 to remove the PCI whitelist and unlock the additional core frequency settings (since my laptop already runs very cool.) Does anyone have any experience with software bios flashes? Is it safe? I do not want to lose my laptop since it is my only internet device.

Soon tm

>discord
Cool thread killer.

I must buy a new clitoris for my x220. Can't use the trackpad.

Are you using gnu/linux?
Have you tried watching youtube videos in mpv?

What is the best thinkpad for greymin?

These looks cool, what is it?

post memepads

>Have you tried watching youtube videos in mpv?

Only after youtube-dl, because the web here isn't fast enough to stream.

Flashing is always risky. You can do it with a full battery, in a place with a good power grid and research thoroughly the update steps and compatibility. Still if anything goes wrong you can have a brick, until you manage to get a eeprom writer at least. If its your only computer and you depend on it, maybe you should wait until you have a spare computer and can afford to have it down for a while.

Look at this shit
Who the FUCK thought it would be a goog idea to put all the fucking usb ports on one side

>3.5mm jacks on the FRONT

Do you guys have any suggestions for mini pcie ac WLAN cards? I am using modded bios so that won't be issue.

So far I have found following cards:
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Killer Wireless-AC NIC 1420/ Qualcomm Atheros QCA9862
Broadcom BCM94352HMB/ Broadcom BCM4352
AzureWave AW-CB161H/ Azurewave Realtek RTL8821AE

It's not like they're worth anything
You can see him using a dac, probably because the built in audio on those things are complete garbage

P series thinkpads

A sticker

To the person in the last thread:

aliexpress.com/item/New-Laptop-LCD-Screen-AU-Optronics-B140HAN01-1-B140HAN01-B140HAN01-2-B140HAN01-3-Full-HD-LCD/32800537382.html

Here is the 1080p screen I used for my T440s.
You have to specify in seller messages that you want B140HAN01.3.

Beyond that the colors look really nice but there is light bleed on the bottom of the screen.
For the price it is satisfactory, but could be better. 20 days from order to the Pittsburgh area.

this photo didnt come out as nice as i thought it did

I think thinkpads look unprofesional

If you have the desk space why not build a desktop? Why limit yourself to shitty laptop hardware?

biosimage.booru.org/index.php

>tfw keep forgetting to add this to the OP

>Built specifically for the business professional
OK dumbass

those monitors are attached to my desktop pc not the laptop

I'm looking into selling my Elitebook 2170p and buying
a x220 tablet model.

I know i would take a slight hit on performance when
it comes to the integrated GPU but I intend on using
an eGPU with it so that doesn't matter much.

My only concern is that i'll buy one and the display will
be messed up. I can't find replacement displays anywhere
for the tablet models.

Does anyone know where I might find one?

i broke my x220 screen like a month ago and found tonnes of x220 screens on ebay, bought one within a few minutes and fitted it the following week

does anyone have any experience from buying used from new egg?

looking to get a x230 but it says its grade c and im worried it will be too damaged for the 140 im going to pay for it

Why does China hate us? The Retro thinkpad is a joke.
I thought David was gonna make everything great again, what happened?

It was never meant to be a serious product.

awesome picture. that's what I want my setup to look like.

David was hinting a modern x30x laptop and I was so excited. They could have released the x30x chassis with a good screen and I would've paid 2k for it. I've been waiting 2 years for this shit god dammit.

whats /tpg/'s opinion on the X1 Carbon?

Its priced competitively with the X240-250, which is what I'm looking for (Decent power, lightweight).

I don't see the Carbon talked about much on here so I assume its shit for some reason? Also would be interested in buying something where I can use libreboot (not really necessary though) or at least avoid Intel's Managment Engine.

Also looking at Dell Latitude E7240 and possibly a HP Elitebook. Looking to spend 300-400, no more than 500 in burgerbux.

dell generally has the best screens and are cheaper for better specs

thanks man

Carbon had battery life problems until a certain gen. Depends on the gen

Interesting. I'll look into it, thanks.

What about Intel's ME? How worried do I have to be that it some exploitable backdoor?

Any idea on the announcement of new models?

X1 - Too old
X1C - Too old
X1C2 - lulzy keyboard & TrackPad, finally IPS 1080p & 4K
X1C3 - What the X1C2 should of been
X1C4 - Better
X1C5 - Current, redesigned, expensive, smaller bezels

My gripes about the X1C3 is that it felt too flimsy, I compared it to a T420s and Pixel and didn't care for it. Performance sucked for hard stuff but dat 9 hour battery life in linux.

Dell Exx40's and later finally brought mSATA support

Exactly, it was too hyped.
He had stepped down in June.

>He had stepped down in June.
Sounds like Lenovo is dialing up the cuckholdery now. Well damn after this I may as well starting buying Macs. High end Thinkpads doesn't seem to be coming back anymore. I really miss the x301, it was such a great little laptop to use in college.

From what it looks like, I wouldn't doubt you can buy a palmrest and keyboard to transform a T470 into a T25.

But yeah, T25 is for the hardcore enthusiast, still less expensive than what the ThinkPad Reserve Edition was. Again there was crazy conceptual art for it, and it ended up just being another ThinkPad they had made.

x240/t440(s)?

I sold my X200 and bought a Surface Book, feels so good to finally have a nice screen and metal build. Only thing I really miss is the trackpoint and keyboard.

What's the size of these?

>Sup Forums
fug

Fucking better be

It's stylized you tard

shill begone

guys, what are the average temperatures of the t420? While browsing the internet, and those lightweight activities, my temperatures hits up to 80 degrees celsius. Is that normal?

Take it apart, clean out the HSF venting, redo the thermal paste with something like AS5 (still works just fucking fine) and put it all back together again.

The CPU you have is guaranteed to work up to 100C so, 80C is meaningless in the big picture. Shit, my i7-2640m hits 98C regularly when doing x264 encoding, never been a problem for me going on 2+ years.

I heard the x60 doesn't have the Intel Management Engine. Is this true?
But the x200/x201 do come with it, correct?

Literally does fucking nothing
Don't fall for the autism
>The CPU you have is guaranteed to work up to 100C so, 80C is meaningless in the big picture.
That's not really how it works user
Excessive heat kills components

Well, the Dell I got is a piece of shit and the hinge is literally splitting it in 2 after a year of use. The t420 is a good word processor/Sup Forums machine for college, right?

Taking a poo in loo with an X200 on your lap is the most comfortable computing experience possible lads.

eff.org/deeplinks/2017/05/intels-management-engine-security-hazard-and-users-need-way-disable-it

the utter shit tn screen will crash your eyes with no survivors

you could still use a windows 95/dos machine for word processing, and only slightly newer (1999+) for Sup Forums, so yes

I already changed the thermal paste and cleaned the computer, but the temperatures is still high. If i put a load (aka video) the temperatures rises up to 96 degrees celsius. Is this a defect of this specific machine? It's my second week with this machine.

found out myself after a bit of searching:
IME installed in x200 can be removed with no effect on operation, unlike the x201, which freezes 30 minutes after boot should IME be uninstalled.
coreboot.org/Intel_Management_Engine

Dude even in summer in Australia I don't get temps that high with my T420. I'm about 60 degrees at it's hottest and I have no aircon.

Neat. Does the x220 screens work with the tablet variant?
I cant find anything online when looking for a tablet specific
screen. So maybe they just use the same one. I also wonder
how much a glass/digitizer replacement is. I can't find them
anywhere.

What's the best CPU you can drop in a W520? I have a W530 but I'm just asking out of interest, I prefer this machine to the Txxx machines for the 1080p display and I'm not bothered for any mods.

I think the new creators update on windows 10 just fucking halved my battery life. I'm using an x220 with a 9-cell battery, I used to get about 9 hours of battery life doing light browsing and writing documents, but now I get about 5 hours doing the same shit with the lowest brightness all power saving options available on this piece of shit OS turned on.

Anyone else experienced this and knows how to fix this or should I install LTSB like a normal human being? Also please no install linux replies, I would if I could but can't due to my current work environment.

can anybody tell me what that red thing in the middle of the kb is?

Oh shit, I'm ready to not get any again. P-please don't put them up at 4 in the morning again.

dunno i just use ltsb and everything werks fine

i don't want """"""feature"""""" updates anyway

where should i get a replacement battery for a T530? UK btw

I don't care about the features I never use either, but I do care about my battery life. Although at this point the battery life loss triggers me enough to pirate LTSB.

any idea whether it's possible to replace the screen cover on the W520 to one without the lenovo logo on it?

IPS is better than 1600x900

>Sup Forums
confirmed reddit sticker

Well done you idiot. It's slow enough here yet you want us to turn away from /tpg/ and join a shity discord.

thinkpads nowadays are overpriced for what they are

lenovo is killing this brand, and after the thinkpad 25 i lost all hope for the brand

even the company i work with moved to dell

nonredeemable

It would look weird if that was the only thing in lowercase