Answer me quick: is it safe to download this

answer me quick: is it safe to download this thepiratebay.org/torrent/17681691/Matlab_2017a_Linux_x86-64
i'm afraid of backdoors and botnet

Other urls found in this thread:

ixirc.com/?q=matlab
pdl.perl.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Gnu Octave
Same but foss

why not these, probably safer:
ixirc.com/?q=matlab

GNU Octave

Why use closed source garbage software when you don't need to?

I'd be weary of downloading anything from TPB desu

Why Matlab? Why ever Matlab? Use the free alternative that Linux has. It's so much better than Matlab.

Yeah I'm done with TPB. I just got fucked bad by some malware and Trojans.

Linux can't get malware.

Everyone I've met said Octave is slightly worse than MATLAB, but I've never used either. Why do you like Octave more?

I always keep a QEMU instance of a minimal debian (with LXDE) around to go to shady sites and test software. You should do the same if possible.

>downloading anything without a skull

prob the people you've met like `muh GUI` and as with almost all FOSS things, GUI is not a strong point of Octave.
I don't like GUI though, and the CLI uses readline (the same as bash) so it fits perfectly for me

They're completely arbitrary ratings. Tons of "trusted" torrents on the TPB are filled with malware, junk and backdoors that go undetected all the time in AV software. I honestly wouldn't touch any software from TPB with a 10 foot pole unless someone held me at gunpoint. You're basically gambling your computer's security by willingly downloading software bundled together by slavs that have financial incentives to compromise your computer.

Just use R

I used pirated matlab fine during my studies.

can't do everything that matlab can tho.

Octvae can only do like 20% of what matlab can. You are bound to experience stuff that octave can't handle.

I don't like GUI either. I'm a little impartial to octave though, because I couldn't figure out how to do high order derivatives with it. I don't think it can. Maybe MATLAB can't either though.

>t. never programmed anything more than a for loop in matlab

What is octave equivalent for dsp toolbox? or image processing toolbox?
there is a reason companies pay tens of thousands of dollars for matlab

I've used Octave as an alternative for Matlab and you're going to run in some differences when you start programming.
The majority of programs I produced at a school on Matlab wouldn't work on Octave so I had to tweak it to work on Octave and then tweak it back at school to turn it in.

Intro level Matlab isn't an issue, it's just when actually programming shit it gets bad.

Yes, but the toolboxes and simulink are separate from core MATLAB installation

if OP needed to use something with those chances are he would have used matlab quite a bit already, in which case he wouldn't be asking this question

OP is most likely taking a class which introduces MATLAB and won't use anything inside those, for which case Octave is better than MATLAB alone imo

Does anyone know if cracked matlab phones home?
I know that Solidworks literally call people and demand to buy a license if they detect that you are using illegitimate version. Never heard Mathworks do that but still.

>is it safe to download this
No.

>Does anyone know if cracked matlab phones home?
Its closed source. Literally no ones knows.

>what is a firewall
for fuck's sake

You can also do a lot of linear algebra stuff with python and numpy.

>what is rootkit

I am just leaving this here pdl.perl.org/

I'm seeding right now that very same torrent. I got it a month ago. I see nothing weird right now.

>what is a good AV
>what is virustotal
fucking dumbasses

>what is rkhunter

It most probably is safe, user. Have fun downloading ^-^

>trusting an antivirus
user it's almost as if you don't know how they work

>Using propietary software or sixteenth (half octave)
>Not using a beautiful, multipurpose, easy to read and learn, widely avalible, free as in beer and as in freedom python+scipy
>2017

Anyone using MATLAB is likely doing it because they have to for school or work

any sensible person would use scipy / numpy instead, learning Julia would even be better

>web interface crap
no thanks

Have your main OS be linux and run windows shit in a VM. Then when you install shady shit, bam, restore from snapshot.

Safe? nope
But if you need to use it drop an email here and ill share with you my credentials, it's the student version which basically has all the features you need, as long as you use it in only 1 device im ok with it.

Octave forge packages.

Do NOT download software from public torrent trackers, best way to pick up trojans and such.

I've seeded several terrabytes of a windows version of matlab. If there were a virus, somebody would have posted about it already.

>get matlab for free from my uni
>still pirate it because matlab makes you jump through a million hoops to register it
even malware is better than this shit

its easy to check... just run MatLab, run traffic capture the whole time and check for "abnormal" traffic

>backdoors and botnet

Like anyone even gives two shits of a shitty shingle if you fap to the shit you download and watch every day, unless if you're in China that is.

Yes China can force teenagers into an internet addiction camp for using the internet "too much".

run it in a vm with no internet access you moron
the chances someone has baked in a vm escaping exploit into it is very low

The "official" Sup Forums torrents are on TPB

What's the worst that can happen if you don't run it as root?

what are you talking about?

>what are VMS
>what are containers