*bloats your installation with oodles of development files you didn't need or ask for*

*bloats your installation with oodles of development files you didn't need or ask for*

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Principles
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>"""""""""""""""""""""""""bloats""""""""""""""""""""""""" your installation with anime

>Why do you use Arch
"Because every other distro is bloated af"

Every fucking time. I like it how base Debian has ~400 packages (while splitting dev, dbg and base into three packages) while Arch has +500 while combining all that shit in one package.

This is one of the features I use Arch for. I don't want to waste time in dependency hell.
If I wanted minimalism I'd use Alpine.

> Searches internet for which ppa I need to install
> Package still not available to download from package manager
> Install from source, fails even when you only need to run 2 commands because distro doesn't even come with very common libraries that you will need 99% of the time
> Install 10 different packages that somebody mentions somewhere else
> Software is unstable because package manager has very old versions of packages

I can see the competence of the creator of this image by looking at the used font...

It's comical, the correct font was chosen.

Keep trying. With a little more experience, you WILL be able to install arch. We believe in you.

>11mb

>arch is difficult to install meme
Arch was literally my first experience with linux and I didn't find it particularly difficult then, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

>base debian 400 packages
Literally not true.

Say whatever the fuck you want, Arch is still the patrician OS.

pointless wankery from package maintainers is exactly why I switched from Debian to Slackware.

i'd bloat her ass if you know what i mean

>arch difficukt to install meme
Agree, arch is fucking easy to install, just keep trying, you'll get there

>I'v totally installed it as my first distro, I'm not lying I swear!
You can lie on an anonymous internet board, but you can't lie to yourself

Not to mention their retarded fear of nonfree firmware.
Debian has unironically given me more problems during installation than Arch.

>reading instructions is hard
>reading instructions is impossible for a first time user
what
are all arch users this pretentious? there's literally 0 room for error.

Are you retarded? Why did you reply to me ()?

>are all arch users this pretentious?
Do you have to ask?

>Linux distribution made by developers for developers, packages files needed for development by default
>even discards unmaintained TUI installer, the only ever advance in being "user friendly", in favor of the underlying shell scripts to bootstrap a system
When will manchildren take the hint and stop falling for the meme? Arch is literally just the Judd & Aaron flavor of Linux From Scratch, prepackaged. What the Arch development team strifes for is not necessarily suited to you.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#Principles

If you want to go into ricing, Gentoo is right there, otherwise there's literally almost every other Linux distribution for general computing (read: slacking off on the web all day) that *does not* put a focus on shipping maximally untouched software in favor of introducing some of their own infrastructure on top.

Judd hasn't worked on Arch for ages.
Instead we have Red Hat employees like tomegun now.

But I do want dev files. It makes Arch more convenient. I don't want to waste my time looking for libxyz-dev.

How often does anyone compile anything in Arch outside of using a PKGBUILD which would automatically pull in the required dev files if they were separate?

I maintain some PKGBUILDs in arch and occasionally contribute to upstream.

I do compile software I'm testing to a "local" prefix (which in turn resembles the structure of the /usr and /usr/local trees) under my home directory all time before switching to a packaged install.
And yes, if you're actually working on upstream software like Netrunner, there's no standardized distribution-independent way of making sure you have all the needed packages for development installed – just for finding them (well known paths, pkg-config, letting CMake figure it out, etc.)
Software still comes either with a human-readable list of dependencies, or a "shopping list" of packages you need to install for the most common environments.

Gentoo is the best distro.

with that slow as fuck package manager? don't think so, kid. arch is the best power user linux distro, there are practically no downsides even for turbo autists.

It is though

BSD masterrace

NixOS is package management of the future.

I'm picking up what you're laying down, if you catch my drift.

yea but debian is shit

it was my first time to, I sucked to install it, took like 3 days without my pc, but in the end it was easy as to poo in the loo

arch is a more customizable distro for experienced user and there is nothing wrong with that

ubuntu is a less customizable but more out-of-the-box distro and there is nothing wrong with that

manjaro is a more customizable and out-of-the-box distro for general user and there is nothing wrong with that

base openbsd:
1 package

yep but it's style a beta system for betas

Dude, I've installed it as a first timer in a couple hours, just follow a video tutorial and you'll be fine.

>you just need to see for third party tuto but it's ok gonna talk about it to my mom, this is the year of the Linux deskop amiright?

arch is great t bh
have come to really appreciate it now that had to deal with debian and ubuntu

>bloat
Only autists use this word. It's not 15 years ago anymore.

I've had more problems with mint and Debian than I ever had with arch.

why are you implying it is hard to install?

Because the only problem with arch if fix the Xorg.