/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Huawei Mate 10 review
gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10-review-1675.php

Qualcomm likely to announce the Snapdragon 845 in early December
gsmarena.com/qualcomm_likely_to_announce_the_snapdragon_845_in_early_december-news-27978.php

Deal: Sony Xperia XZ drops to $314.99
gsmarena.com/deal_sony_xperia_xz_drops_to_31499-news-27967.php

The Essential PH-1 Isn't A Success, And The $200 Price Drop Proves It
techtimes.com/articles/214739/20171024/the-essential-ph-1-isnt-a-success-and-the-200-price-drop-proves-it.htm

OnePlus 5T to arrive on November 16
gsmarena.com/oneplus_5t_might_arrive_on_november_16-news-27957.php

[MrMobile] - Pixel 2 XL Review: Burn-In Down The House
youtube.com/watch?v=f1Tv3-yDp00

[Floss] Google Pixel 2 XL Unboxing And First Impressions
youtube.com/watch?v=3pvnGC0iI-A

(Deal Alert) 64GB ZTE Axon 7 Dual SIM GSM Unlocked Smartphone (Global Model) - $ 229.99
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1017631.html

old

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14267056
youtu.be/9xGc4eO_I6k
mokeedev.com/en/
strawpoll.me/14267244
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is the best option for android on Verizon outside of samsung/pixel?

strawpoll.me/14267056

>Verizon
Hahaha
I'm still kek'ing at the 80% battery
B U Y E R S R E M O R S E hit you yet, samshills?

>$50 a month for unlimited data
>Versus my old $35 a month for 2 gb on tmobile

Ok friendo.

If you're rooting and want xposed modules you're not buying Samsung anyway. Shill poll is obvious

Tmobile has unlimited too cuck

United Yanklands of archaic 90's esque phone subscriptions

did the canadian sandal wearer's video on bixby make anyone think maybe it isn't so bad to have?

youtu.be/9xGc4eO_I6k

Cheap? Not compared to euro lands but we have a lot more land mass to cover.

Just get samsung s7 > anything else on verizon
Lg g5 vs s7

I wish windows phone didn't die

Any android ROMs out there that aren't exactly like stock at all, or LineageOS?

So like those chinese fucking ROMs, MIUI and such? Any more of those?

s7 edge vs oneplus 5 lads

>80% battery and locked bootloader
But since I'm not rooting my phone or wanting to unlock the bootloader... why should I care? Genuinely and honestly, tell me why I should care.

Nexus 5x replaced with a galaxy S8 and honestly I'm preferring touchwiz because of the integration Samsung does wth their ecosystem. Bixby is actually fantastic for voice control of your phone, for web search and Google services Google assistant is better, but for doing shit hands free with my device (opening apps, changing volume, turning off WiFi, etc) Bixby is better.

Samsung pay is also way better than Android pay in the US and you can't root for either of those anyway due to security reasons.

I personally see little reason to buy a Google phone unless you have particular preferences that dictate you to ASOP Android.

mokeedev.com/en/

Try that one.

strawpoll.me/14267244

strawpoll.me/14267244

strawpoll.me/14267244

Thanks, but that's not what I mean. I'm talking about alternatives such as FlymeOS.

I am stuck between
>lg g5 - bootloop?
>note 5 - $1k for the note 8 is too much and I just like the screen/size and stylus will be neat

both offer some cool features and both are $225 or less right now which is great budget wise

i just stream music on the way to work, watch some youtube on lunch break, text and make calls

no major app usage

Who in their right mind would buy a google pixel anything for the next 70 years

Reposting from the last thread

Ok, /spg/, since my Redmi Note 3 Pro is slowly dying on me after 1,5 years (right audio channel is out, left one is on its way + the side lock button responds only half of the time) I'm looking for some recommendations.

I'm still debating whether to go with a chinkphone, a budget phone or a flagship but I know that after a week of using the phone it will default to being an audio player/IM machine.

What I need is good battery life, good audio and build quality (given what's happening to my Note atm). Ability to flash custom stuff would be welcomed too, mostly to improve upon the audio. Xposed support semi-required (I need my YouTube in the background)

Stuff that caught my attention so far - XZ1C, V30, Redmi Note 4X, Mi A1, LG G6, Moto G5S Plus.

The main idea is to not have to worry about buying a phone for 3/4 years.

Can anyone recommend a sub-$200 phone to replace my ol moto g2

Xiaomeme or a current gen budget moto.

What about Resurrection Remix?

>The main idea is to not have to worry about buying a phone for 3/4 years.
That rules out the chinkphones.

Get the G5S+/Moto X4 and be done with it.

Note 5 is great hardware and still fairly smooth especially since it has official 7.0 update. However it's a year older than the LG G5, but the G5s hardware is a lottery so it's hit or miss if it'll bootloop or not.

I'd probably get the Note5 for the stylus and to avoid LG build quality.

Redmi Note 4.

I'll get the G5 plus, waiting for it to arrive. Motorola small details won me over, I come from a Moto x play that lasted me since launch (still works, Ill use it as a pmp). So, get a Motorola one,.

here's the deal. batteries in phone last between 500 and 1000 recharge cycles. and towards the end you will notice it. if you use your phone a lot you will need to get that battery replaced before the 3-4 years is up. get one you can replace the battery yourself and immediately by one from the manufacturer. charge it to 75% and store that spare. for a year recharging it to 75% annually.

LG G4 died this morning, wont bother repairing it because I was considering a replacement due to screen burn in, I'll also avoid LG phones for a while.
The only reason I'm posting here is because I was looking at the 1+5 but it has gone out of stock on their website since I last checked 3 days ago (just my fucking luck)
What do I get? I see a lot of refurbished s7 edges for cheap on ebay.

Do you think it's worth it to import the Canadian Keyone black edition for the extra GB of ram?

>touchwiz

>Cheap? Not compared to euro lands but we have a lot more land mass to cover.
The reason why your prices are so high is because of regional monopolies.

Looking to replace my Sony z2 in next 6months. After being spoiled with battery life from the z2 I need a phone that's similar. Xz1 compact looks great, any1 have it here?

Thanks for the tips, anons.

Any G5S Plus/x4 owner? How's the audio?

>this Samshit shill tries to convince /spg/ that TouchJizz is better than AOSP

The last time I see delusion this bad is when Liverpool fans thought that they're going to win the title in the '13/14 season.

i just got one today and some guy around here has a silver one,

so far it's a good phone and really tiny, just a shame it's still got a 720p screen, would be perfect if it had a 1080p screen, and it's pretty much the only phone to rival the non-plus iphone 7/8,

even though the back and sides are plastic, it's glassfibre reinforced plastic, which is tough enough for power tools, it's more than tough enough for a phone, and it feels really nice in the hand, much like the old lumia's and HTC one X,

i already like it more than my honor 9.

So been a long while since I got a new phone. And I can't remember how to update when you have TWRP. Assuming I need to find the download the update onto an SD card and flash it with TWRP or am I going to have to go through the pain of getting stock recovery back, updating, then redoing everything?

I went with the korean version of the G6. So far no complains, the DAC is god tier and I love it.

Reboot to recovery.

Flash the update.

Wipe dalvik/cache.

Reboot.

Device?

Are you trying to flash something, or is it an OTA?

I just don't get the blind devotion to TouchWiz when it's by far the worst Android skin along with LG crap.

Thank you. Was thinking so, but I was worried since its an odd situation as its the amazon version of a phone. Wouldn't happen to know where I could snag the flash file for such a phone do you?

Meant to reply to

Oh sorry. Amazon Moto G4
Its trying to OTA to 7.0, but TWRP causes that to fail and I have a game that is a bit buggy on the 6.0 release. So I'm trying to get it up to date so it will leave me alone.

Hmm Amazon versions might be a bit on the difficult side.

Have you checked on XDA?

You're going to run into so many issues doing a major system update. Just nuke it and start fresh. OTA os upgrades always fuck something up, even on stock. It gets more complicated when you are rooted.

Looking for a smartphone for use on AT&T in the U.S.

deal breakers:
>rooting voids the warranty
>difficult or impossible teardown / low iFixit score
>doesn't have a headphone jack
>fragile / poor performance in drop tests

preferences:
>extremely durable
>multi-day battery life with light usage, full day with heavy usage
>easily removable/replaceable battery
>high quality DAC
>good camera
>fast GPS lock in "hardware only" mode

Recommendations? For all I know Oneplus is the only manufacturer that doesn't void your warranty for rooting your phone, in which case there is no other choice. I don't know whether or not that's the case, though.

Just get the newest stock ROM, someone on XDA has a mirror.
Nevermind it's an Amazon model, the chipset's the same?

I'm not the person you're replying to, but what I can say is that the standard 3GB edition is more than enough for my needs. I've just updated the software and the RAM usage is even lower than before (1.5 GB now compared to 1.9 GB before).

Last I looked XDA says you can't unlock the bootloader to root. But you can and I did.

I've never had to remove TWRP before so I've honestly no idea how.

I'm a special kind of stupid. Figured out a way to root a phone on my own, but not update it.

Last time a device fit all those was the Note 2 lol

You aren't getting anywhere near that with current generation or previous generation hardware

XT1625 Model is different. Parts are the same. People have bricked them trying to cross over firmware.

Replacing recovery is piss easy

Get the stock recovery img from the tar or update file via 7zip
Enter fastboot
Fadtboot flash recovery recovery.img
Robot and done

Also flashfire might work for your device.

Yeah, Oneplus is the only where rooting doesn't void. Also, don't worry about the camera, jelly-effect, etc.
It's not the best camera ever, and yeah they sacrifoced some screen quality for battery and performance, bit it's not that bad and it's battery life and performance are amazing desu
Also this. Your expectations are too high.
Sell it.

It's really sad how autistic you are posting that gif literally every single thread

I don't know why i keep messing up replies
Meant for

Why does that seemingly harmless post bother you pajeet?

Can you post a size comparison to your hand or a paperback or something?

if I replace the battery in my phone with another battery that's not specified for the phone but it works, can I still use fast charging safely?

What's the best 7inch tablet right now?
Already own a Nexus 7 but it feels sluggish, don't know if it's the hardware wearing down.

My first smartphone was a Nokia N8. I waited to jump on the smartphone bandwagon until I could buy a device that was good enough to serve as my only camera, GPS navigation system, and portable media player. It met all of those except that the DAC was less than spectacular and "rooting" was not a thing that you could do in Symbian 3 AFAIK. The battery was held in by a couple of torx screws, but not glued in or anything, so better than most but not as good as some.

I replaced it with a Oneplus One, which is easy to root by design, easy to tear down except for its really stupid battery, pretty durable for a phone its size (nowhere near the N8, and unlike the N8 it broke before it was completely obsolete). It has excellent battery life, a decent DAC (good, but not great), and a decent camera, but its battery is glued in and its GPS performance is shit.

So, between two phones I've had all of those things except a toolless battery (which plenty of phones have had) replacement and a really good DAC.

I don't think I'm expecting too much, I think the industry is intentionally producing garbage.

Anyway, thanks for the input. It'll be a Oneplus 5 for me, since I will not buy a computer that I don't get to control.

I got memed into that maemo shit with the cssu too

Just get a pixel 2. Some compromises, but ultimately it's the best.

Is the 5s still smooth in 2017? I need a compact phone, i would only use it to browse Sup Forums while i use spotify, plus i am a little bit of a hipster faggot so i want a classic design

Try /csg/

Get a SE, same design but much more up to date hardware.

Will 3GB of RAM be enough for future proof? I'm currently thorn between Redmi 4 Pro and Redmi Note 4 4GB, only because I really want that 5" inch screen. For some retarded reason they are at the same price on AliExpress, even though the RN4 has 4/64. Five inches display are a luxury now, I guess.

get an SE it's a newer version
on a T420 keyboard, don't really have anything to hand to show it's size.

I mean sure. Btw, don't get the Pixel. It's shit. I got the OP5, rooted it, sent it to repair because a nigger slamdunked it, they replaced it in less than a month which is decent for Oneplus.
I haven't seen jelly on either, and coming from a Nexus 5 after exclusively using Nexus devices since i replaced my HTC Dream with a Nexus One, it's one of the more comfy phones out there. OOS is super nice with xposed once you remove the datamining, and the performance really is good.

I feel cucked about the screen and camera though. Also the 5t will ship soon because Oneplus hates it's customers.
I'll gladly be the third to back that up with a "get an SE".
Yeah, if you don't intend to keep up with the latest android. You'll need 4 - 6 to be future proof imho.

i had an N8, there was a forum dedicated to modding symbian, but it's long dead, as i had mine running leaked versions of symbian belle, which drastically improved it from the first version of symbian^3 and anna,

i still miss the hardware wake toggle switch.

Anyone else eyeing the Essential Phone at the new price? I handled one in Best Buy yesterday and loved everything about it except for the screen stutter issue, started making me feel queasy after just a few minutes of text scrolling. Apparently that issue will be fixed in the next update so I'm just waiting for that to roll out before grabbing the sexy white version.
Would appreciate any comments from current owners that could sway my decision.

Wouldn't get the R4P, iirc it's still on android 6.0 while the RN4P is on 7.0. Custom ROM support is worse too

>I'm currently thorn between Redmi 4 Pro
I have the R4P and it seems like it's not getting an update to android 7, while the Note 4 with the same fucking soc and specs does.

Unless you really want a smol phone, get the Note 4.

Custom rom support is garbage. You can get Mokee 7.x that kinda works but not well enough for most people or a lot of android 6.0 variants that all suck in different ways. Note also has an official LOS release while the 4P is pretty much ignored.

>youtube in the background
Just use Newpipe dude, via F-Droid

3 to 4 years is pushing it in this day and age. I'm say the Soney XZ1C has the best chance out of those picks if you take good care of it.

Just do it, and write a review for us.

>Just get a pixel 2
I carried around an MP3 player for all of high school because the feature phones I had, which came with software that could play music, required a proprietary dongle for headphone connectivity that was more expensive than a cheap MP3 player. In those days your Nokia phone was tougher than you were, and buying a phone that broke when you dropped it seemed pretty dumb. The 3.5 mm jack was the single largest factor in my eventual decision to buy a smartphone, and I would guess that upwards of 95% of the time I've spent using my smartphones has been spent using them to listen to music. The idea of building a smartphone without a headphone jack is so inconceivably stupid that it fills me with a burning rage, and if I could meet the knuckle dragging retard who made the decision to start doing that I would punch him in the throat.

i would have gotten it, if they would ship to the UK, as that that price it's great, but i wouldn't expect any support for it, as it's pretty much DOA.

Thanks.

Yeah I saw how bad it is on XDA. Guess I'll have to live with a bigger screen then. Not that it will make much of a difference compared to my Zenfone 5.

Z5 or a5 2017??

Pixel 1 also works. But i just leave the dongle on my headphones. No biggie. I wouldn't get the op5 personally. Seen it irl and it looked weird, like the fps was consistently under 60fps or something.

The 5t is coming out soon if you haven't heard. They're finally upgrading it to qhd and maybe this time they won't reverse the screen.

What? It's the fastest performing phone on the market?

I'm starting to feel like certain regions get OP5 with shitty displays. Not a single OP5 I've seen in Denmark has jelly and lag issues, but a lot of American and Indian models seem to experience this. Maybe it depends on factory or build date?
Also, don't believe the QHD rumour, if they do, they'll need to build a completely new phone, or it'd kill one of the biggest factors of the phone, namely battery life.
Also, heard the 5t will be bezelless. That is a gimmick, and you know Oneplus will find a way to screw the device.

The 5t seems perfect except for the lack of a microsd slot

I wouldn't be surprised if google had a secret clause in the android license agreement that every phone manufacture has to include one thing that's shit in every design they produce.

Stop saying 5t it fucken triggers me

They all have the jelly screen, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

It's got the typical standard flagship specs. I'm not really into smartphone performance tests because how a phone performs is decided by the kernel, which you can easily modify if the phone has an unlockable bootloader like op or pixel. You can set the performance to as conservative as you want or all out balls to the walls no lag.

I also believe the low res battery saving thing is a meme because the gpus are powerful enough now that they don't change performance states on 1080p bs 1440p.

Anyone have any good starter guides for /spg/ to understand phones on a more technical level?

Convince me to buy a new phone, I have a Nexus 4 for 4 years now and I just don't give a fuck about performance.

>i just leave the dongle on my headphones
I have earbuds that I carry with me everywhere and over-ear headphones that I use at home (on a daily basis) and when I travel, so I'd either have to switch it back and forth a lot or buy two. Just two days ago I was camping and listening to music in my tent while my phone charged from a spare battery. Simultaneous charging and listening is not something that I do a lot, but I do it enough that I would need the larger and more expensive dongle, which is currently more expensive than a Sandisk MP3 player, and about the same size. Since the Sandisk will sound noticeably better, that would be the way to go for me.

I will probably wait for the 5T. I don't give a shit about screen resolution beyond 1080P (and in fact I'd rather not have it if it decreases battery life), but if nothing else maybe its release will make the 5 a bit cheaper.

You'll get more than 40 mins of battery life

>xposed

name some reason you need xposed.

Check the Flyme website, they have it for my Zuk Z2, I'm sure they'll have it for your phone too.

Meizu M6 note will get you 13 hours SoT battery life and has a much better camera than your Nexus. If those don't matter then do you really need to upgrade?

but I get 2 days of battery life

Well you probably don't need a new phone because you obviously don't use it much

Why do you feel compelled to post that gif every single time faggot?

Notice the absence of Samsung shilling.

I'm a Verizon employee, I have to order a phone to start on their employees only super discounted plan, I want something that's inexpensive, but is still a good smartphone. I was looking at the Moto Z2 Play because there's a promo going on where you can get it for 7 dollars per month. Anyone know of anything particularly good for ~450 USD retail?

I'm planning to get a custom ROM for my Xperia Z3 (Android 6.0.1) in December. So far, MIUI 7 seem like a good choice. Can Sup Forums recommend anything else?

just get what ever, as you'll probably be able to upgrade every 6 months.

Flyme, Mokee, or Lineage should work well too.