/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
&& /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

alpinelinux.org/)
github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage)
github.com/ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
grymoire.com/Unix/
prism-break.org/
brainwreckedtech.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/easily-switch-aspect-ratios-in-mplayer/
mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2005-November/056724.html
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-4447/Truecrypt-Foundation.html
pastebin.com/m1tUKfCn
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

Reccomended Distro:
Alpine(alpinelinux.org/)
Sabotage(github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage)

Build kernel 4.12 on debian with clang
github.com/ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

>What distro should I choose?

>What are some cool programs?

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
grymoire.com/Unix/

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/

THE WILDEBEEST HAS RETURNED
I MISSED YOU OLD FRIEND

Low graphics and text interfaces

I am working on a full terminal environment and search for alternative applications that work in either text only interface, ncurses, or the framebuffer. I am not writing anything the tools are already there, is just a matter of configuration. For example the window manager replacement I use is GNU Screen but there are other alternatives like Twin or any terminal multiplexer of your linking, also fbterm to use fonts on tty and set a wallpaper.

Currently struggling with the video. I made MPlayer work! It has sound and all, the only thing left is scaling to full screen automatically.

The steps I made to make it work are:
0. Be on the framebuffer (tty)
1. Find the correct device
aplay --list-devices
if it says "card 0........device 3", then its hw=0.3
2. Add my user to the video group
usermod -a -G video
3. Edit the ~/.mplayer/config to add framebuffer by default and the correct audio output
vo=fbdev
ao=alsa:device=hw=0.3

After that I am testing by doing
mplayer -vf scale=1680 video.mkv
With scale=number scales the width only, there is an y axis method for the height but I stopped searching to look for an automatic method. The closest solution I found only tinkers with the aspect ratio
brainwreckedtech.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/easily-switch-aspect-ratios-in-mplayer/
mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2005-November/056724.html
But apparently it won't resize the screen and only shrink to certain ratio. Plus you have to do it manually.

If another user wants to join me and can solve this together I will much appreciate. I have planned a full desktop environment and this is one of the steps.

Has anyone been able to get really old versions of Linux to work with Xfree86 3.3.x under Virtualbox? I've been able to get distros with XFree 4.x going pretty well but nothing older than that. Any tips?

You mean like linux 1.0?

Is there a way to track files edited in to a list and show the last time modified and total number of edits? Its for media or i would use git

Yes

What is GNU and why should I use it?

And that would be?

I don't know sorry.

Changing the locale to Japanese doesn't fix it.

It's what people mean when they say Linux.

Your (You).

Unless of course they're referring specifically to linux, the kernel, when they say linux.

Like Red Hat 6.2, Mandrake 6.1, Slackware 7.1/8.0, Debian 2.2, Caldera 2.2/2.3, etc.

When people actually mean Linux, they just say "kernel". It's crazy.

Dont fuck of this thread,the last one was horrible
Fuck off with your shit

what am I looking at?

I blame the people who insist on calling the entire GNU plus linux operating system linux. Would it kill them to simply admit they're wrong?

What is the best lightweight WM?

This was the time when xfce emulated motif.

Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Explanation: What spooky planet is this? Planet Earth of course, on a dark and stormy night in 2013 at Hverir, a geothermally active area along the volcanic landscape in northeastern Iceland. Geomagnetic storms produced the auroral display in the starry night sky while ghostly towers of steam and gas venting from fumaroles danced against the eerie greenish light. Tonight, there is also a chance for geomagnetic storms triggered by recent solar activity, so high-latitude skygazers should beware. Ghostly shapes may dance in your neighborhood pretty soon, too.

It's none of you business what anyone calls Linux. Linux is defined first in most dictionaries as an operating system, second as the kernel. This is correct usage. Stallman is clearly wrong on this issue.

Nobody cares what you want to call it. But I've been calling it Linux for the past 20 years that I've been using it, like most other people. Go troll your n00b spam somewhere else.

Is a USB 3.0 drive (and even 2.0) fast enough for us to run a simple KDE distro from? As long as we don't play vidya?

The one I'm using

fluxbox

XFCE was basically a knock-off CDE.

>. But I've been calling it Linux for the past 20 years that I've been using it, like most other people.
Appeal to popularity, one of the great fallacies.
Argumentum ad populum.

The popularity of an error doesn't make it the truth.

whats the correct directory for personal shell scripts

~/bin

There's no 'correct' way, just put them wherever you want and put the PATH there.

A default in Debian at least is ~/.local/bin
I use ~/.config/scripts

create your own and add it to PATH

>"correct way"
~/bin is the standard

~/.bin

The one I'm using.

>.bin

actual gay person

Is systemd a botnet? If yes, how to remove?

There is literally nothing wrong with liking dick.

no u

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best distribution for listening to russian pop music and occasional programming in LUA? It should also have a wallpaper that I like by default, too.

Is Arch reliable enough to be used as a work environment?

I am thinking about switching to Arch at work.

yeah if you're a chick.

Yes, use openrc instead

Yes.
Run a weekly update and read what is being changed, in case manual intervention is required

>hobby distro developed by 5-6 weebs
>reliable

anime website

gentoo

hello /fglt/s, how does one automatically close a terminal after launching an application? i have a program that needs to be run from a terminal, but would like the "source" terminal to close after the program starts. i've tried adding exit to the command, but the terminal still hangs around... any ideas?

Your work must not be very important to you if you are considering Arch. That's all I'm going to say.

echo 'Hello world' >> hello.txt && logout

just add && logout at the end of your command. The command above just shows you it works

>babbee couldnt install arch

There are a million of ways, but I have the feel you're making things too complicated. Whats exactly are you trying to do?

You could:

>spend the time and energy required in learning how to maintain a highly unstable distribution that is basically a hobby and that is not at all user-centric, in which the user's opinion holds no sway, basically becoming the bitchboy of how the Arch devs want you to do things, and losing valuable worktime because you fucked something up and now you have to unfuck it
>not do that and use that time to work and be productive instead of spending it in a hobby while you're at work

By all means use Arch at home, but goddamn you'd have to be retarded to use it on a work environment. That's almost as stupid as running Debian Sid on a production server.

>highly unstable
stopped reading here

I know you Archfags have a short attention span

>highly unstable distribution
Arch uses vanilla packages directly from upstream.After upstreams own inhouse development and testing cycle arch then puts the package in its own testing repo for arch development.
There is nothing unstable about it.

>babbee couldntg install arch linux

>being proud of copy pasting 10 terminal commands
cringe

it's funny that you would nitpick something instead of looking at the greater picture
it makes no sense to risk wasting time AT WORK instead of using what you already know and stop fucking around during work hours. but you're most likely NEET's, so you wouldn't understand that

Systems dont just magicall stop working. You had to have changed something for it to stop working.
Dont make changes during your work time.
Do one upgrade at the end of the work week.

I update once a week and beyond new syntax shit just works flawlessly unless something needs manual intervention in which case you read the damn website telling you what needs to be done.

You really never tried arch

If (You) actually had a job, you'd know that an up-to-date, rolling release distro is great for developers. One that ships packages as they are is even better.

Note that you're assuming he meant "work" as "server/enterprise", which of course would imply stability as a major priority. A developer, on the other hand, will simply prefer rolling-release, a large package database, and sane defaults.

>You had to have changed something for it to stop working
This is what archfags seriously believe

I'm sorry, I should have never put into question the perfection in the AUR packages or that bugs never slip through the cracks and appear when you least expect them during your workflow.

this closes the terminal window after the launched program closes, which is good. thanks bro.
i'm trying to launch a program with a GUI from an openbox menu. the program needs to be launched with a terminal, so the openbox Execute line looks like
x-terminal-emulator -e /path/to/gui/program && exit

the terminal window hangs around the whole time the program's GUI is running. the terminal closes when you close the program via the GUI. in an ideal world, you wouldn't need to see the terminal window at all. any hints you might have about how to do this would be cool

So on your shitty *buntu distro you have a random program going around and changing shit 24/7? Arch dosent, if something breaks its because you didnt change something that needed to be changed. AKA something YOU CHANGED.

>aur packages
You mean the ones who you can review the entire packages and what it is doing and alter at your convenience? Those packages?

>Fix yer own damn bugs in yer installed packages in yer work hours dude
wew

>what is the last hour of the work week.
>Create a snapshot
>pacman -Syyu
>reboot
>login
>go home

>You mean the ones who you can review the entire packages and what it is doing

I'd rather a package maintainer take care of that while I actually work on my projects, but that's just me. This is not unique to Arch btw, every distro shows the source.

>I'd rather a package maintainer take care
So you blindly install packages from third party repos?
>This is not unique to Arch btw, every distro shows the source.
Aur isnt some shitty third party repo you added out of the blue that provides you a binary package

I 'blindly' install directly from Debian's main repos (I eye apt-listbugs before updating and that's that). I trust them way more than random-ass AUR devs that can leave you hanging any time.

I never said AUR provided you with binary packages only, what are you even saying? I said showing you the package's source isn't unique to Arch, that's it.

$ head -n 1 /var/log/pacman.log | grep -Po '\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}'
2015-12-22

Is there a simple way to automatically mount all of my TC partitions at once on demand without using the TC/VC application? I'm talking about cryptsetup and /etc/crypttab. I'm not using keyfiles, btw...

sh /path/to/gui/program

guys my sound is fucked up
speaker-test works fine,
aplay/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
works fine, etc. but nothing plays in my browser, music player, mpv, etc.

i tried cat/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
and it just prints "closed"

everything in alsamixer looks fine and unmuted

could it be from an update?

decided to

pacman -Su

ikr, I am a MADMAN!

>TC
You should migrate to veracrypt immediately, there are exploits in the TC code that will never be fixed because that source code is abandoned

>head | grep
You don't use the terminal much, right?

*GNU/Linux

Post your .asoundrc

I am using VC since its release... My partitions are still using TC headers and still secure. The TC application has security issues under Windows, nothing more...

*GNULinux

Is PureOS a good os for someone wanting to leave windows 10?

Never used Linux before

Did it blow up your Xorg.conf?
Did you have to have your mom cancel your meetings?

No.

Just use Ubuntu like a normal newbie, don't get meme'd. You'll go through your distrohopping phase later.

t. former noob who got meme'd

can't say Yet!

fingers crossed!

*GNU+Linux, the dynamic duo

>Systems dont just magicall stop working.
it does if you use arch

*GNU/Linux

I want that autocomplete-box of haxornews so bad in regular bash. OMFG

>what are commands meant for simplicity
>friendly gnu/linux thread
>friendly
nothing wrong with piping one line into grep

>under Windows, nothing more
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-4447/Truecrypt-Foundation.html
Wrong

i dont have one
I hooked up my laptop to my tv via hdmi then updated and turned it off. now turning it back on, the sound doesn't work. should I test if the hdmi sound still works?

You need an asoundrc
Grab the one from the arch wiki

I was referring to grep's -m flag.

thanks, but this still leaves the terminal window open for as long as the program is alive :-(

never used openbox, no idea how it works, but try "exec" for the lulz

If you're buying Purism hardware, then yes. It's a fork of Fedora and thus has good documentation, support, and is generally accessible.

this list only contains ancient versions... I've already said that I'm not using it, so what you're on exactly here?

Can you explain why please? It's respect for Freedomâ„¢ intrigues me.

Can you play League of Legends on Linux? I just started playing last month and it's been a bit fun when I'm free and not working on my yard or car.

What?

is it this?

pastebin.com/m1tUKfCn