Use dvorak for 2 months

>use dvorak for 2 months
>type at 40 wpm
>starting to touch type
why havent you switched to the superior keyboard layout?

I basically got were you are, but discovered that shortcuts like Ctrl+C and :wq was completely different muscle memory.

Didn't want to relearn all shortcuts in everything so fuck it

Because my keyboard will be the only one that has this meme layout, and if I ever have to use someone else's QWERTY keeb, then I wanna be familiar with it.

School systems should force people to use dvorak from the start.

this but 100 percent unironic

What are the benefits?
I feel like being a hipster faggot and trying it.

>be me
>be 13 years old
>be installing windows xp on my athlon PC
>*Select keyboard layout*
>*accidentally select dvorak and click continue*
>wtf? wtf is wrong with my keyboard
>format and reinstall again

Because I can type ~90-100WPM on old QWERTY

That's probably as fast as I can type anyway.

Tchaikovsky is objectively superior

>studying classical
>ouuuuuuuuuuuut

>studying
u wot?
I have nothing to do with studying since years, let alone studying classical. I just listen to classical for as long as I remember.

I actually learned dvorak just to be able to force myself to learn how to touch type, since I couldn't ever force myself to not "cheat" when I could see the key legends.

In retrospect, I could have just found some blank keycaps or even some fucking paint and stuck with qwerty, but whatever.

because I can already hit ~130 wpm on 10fastfingers with a qwerty keyboard and don't feel like starting from scratch again

I switched to dvorak when I was 13 or 14. Like several other anons I couldn't touch type with qwerty, so I made myself memorize the layout when I started using dvorak. I'm 20 now and I can type around 105 wpm. Overall it was a good decision. It's easy to change the layout on every OS

There is literally no significant difference in typing speed between dvorak and qwerty layouts.

Dvorak is only good for English.

>40 wpm is good
How does it feel being beaten out by a blackberry?

I have mild autism, its taken me 10 years to get to the point where i am now

This

Dvorak is easier to learn than qwerty but it isn't really faster to type in - for humans at least - iirc.

>type at 100wpm in qwerty but using 2 fingers like a retard
>want to learn to type using all 8 fingers
>day 1 20-30wpm
>day 2 40-60wpm
>day 3 60-70wpm
>...
>day 7 80-90wpm
>day 10-14 100wpm again
I spent maybe 2 weeks trying to learn dvorak over a decade ago, and maybe a full month lazily trying to learn colemak a couple of years ago, why would I subject myself to sub 50wpm for months while spending hours a day doing nothing but practising touch-typing in dvorak/colemak when I'm probably not going to type faster as a result and I'm going to lose a shit ton of productivity on literally everything else due to qwerty shortcuts being a severe and daily problem?

coincidentally, everyone I know that has tried shilling dvorak/colemak to me used to type like a retard in qwerty at 30wpm hunt and peck type speeds at best and they still barely manage 60-80wpm after retraining themselves for years to type 'properly' in dvorak, and while 60-80wpm is a decent enough speed in professional settings it's incredibly rare for someone to type moderately fast (>80wpm) or even type really fast (>120wpm) to make the switch and get a faster wpm than when they started

colemak is better for hotkeys on windows (you keep zxcv and a bunch of other somewhat relevant key positions) but vim requires qwerty key positions due to the design of the hotkeys, the general advice is to rebind hotkeys in every program so they keep their physical location but you change the mapping, or you write a hacky script so you can dynamically change your layout back to qwerty for your hotkeys, either way both solutions are shit

you don't forget qwerty you just end up losing 10-25% of your total wpm pre switching the first time you use it again

My school didn't even teach me touch typing, that's a higher priority than some meme keyboard layout

no, but dvorak (colemak especially) are far nicer to type on and you end up making less errors as you rarely leave the home row and don't have to use weak fingers as often, and both dvorak/colemak are far better for hand alteration than qwerty and don't rely on the left hand nearly as much, all of these things contribute to being able to type faster more accurately even if the peak typing speed is only within a few % of each other

colemak has this problem too but it's not like qwerty is ideal either given all of the train-wreck abortion european layouts (pic related), if they're not fucking with the a-z layout or placing international letters in retarded positions they absolutely annihilate the keys used for programming, uk iso is the closest to ansi and even that has some retarded design decisions
if you thought pic related was bad check out the japanese keyboard layout

Try COLEMAK if you're into alternative keyboard layouts

40 wpm on a rickety laptop keyboard that I'm trying to get used to.
You should be faster than that with 2 months on dvorak.

>not using CHOPIN in 2017

At least it's not like those faggot kids who listen to fur elise or moonlight sonata aka >classical for babbys, and think they are smart and deep.

I get 80 wpm with qwerty, no need to look for keys too
Also qwerty is pretty much standard layout.

>2 months
>40wpm
>beginning to touch type
that's why. I have ~120-130wpm on regular qwerty keyboard, plus it's the standard pretty much everywhere you go.

Length of the post validates his typing speed

But I have.

what are you doing that requires writing beyond 100wpm anyways?

>Type max of 120wpm on a good day

Why should I change my keyboard layout after using QWERTY for 20 years?

>superior keyboard layout
Maximum autism.

>use dvorak for 2 months
>still no gf
ftfy

Smetana shits on both

whats the name of that?

I wanted to try it some years ago but along with the fact that the promised benefits don't really seem that great made me feel it wasn't worth the investment.

>listening to classical and romantic music in the current year of our lord
Baroque is where it's at.

Colemak > DVORAK

Advantages of both QWERTY and DVORAK -- you get to keep most keyboard shortcuts while also getting the better layout.

>typed 100 wpm in qwerty
>fall for the dvorak meme
>couldn't type 100 wpm for 6 months
>can now type at 100wpm in dvorak
>now I can't use any other keyboards but my own without looking like a retard chicken pecking
don't do it. It won't make you faster, and there aren't any benefits. I think I'm going to switch back to qwerty next year.

I type 140wpm with qwerty and have been typing since I was around 5-6. I'm 21 now. Dvorak feels very unnatural to me.

I tried typeracer today and I got 57wpm.
And that's not very good I think (first try though. also i won).
qwertz keyboard.
40wpm is shit.

>40wpm
I hope this is a joke

>all these fucking plebs

I've used QWERTY all my life, typing nearly 150 WPM.

any real computer enthusiast has this in his /etc/default/keyboard
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT="colemak"

what exactly makes colemak better?

I don't use Dvorak. I use Qwerty and default keybindings wherever possible so my hand muscle memory should work whenever I need to use a computer that I don't control.

But what if the computer you don't control uses DVORAK? Huh? Have you thought about that?

I would want to but it's hard to work with other people while having different standards
for example
having to switch from metric to imperial all the time.
also laptops

>40wpm

>why havent you switched to the superior keyboard layout?

Because I already type at 120+ WPM with QWERTY, and spending 2 months to get down to 1/3 of my current speed does not seem like a valuable investment.

Thinking of switching? Listen up, here's my story

>get 1st software job
>show up and sit in front of PC with boss giving instructions
>"alright so type in `git clone [email protected]:...`
>start tying it
>looking at keys, fucking up the typing (even though I've been tying on a computer since 4 years old)
>"pay attention when you type"
>get local env set up and start working on codebases
>using Atom + mouse to work the computer and codebase
>three months in, lying on bed
>feel tingly sensation on the top of my right palm
>realize it's from tying and handling the mouse
>realize that both my boss and the lead dev at work use Dvorak
>notice the lead dev has a Kinesis Advantage
>notice the lead dev uses Vim
>look at my hand
>at that moment I made a decision to switch to Vim full time, Dvorak full time, and get a Kinesis Advantage
>follow through with all of it
>present moment: one year later
>developer at another company
>work all the fucking time
>never notice hand pain
>never look at the keys when I type
>80wpm
>use Vim so I have access to macros, split panes, ex mode, and all the other nice features
>hardly touch the mouse, which saves a lot of hand strain
>the kinesis advantage has macro programmability, so I put it to work in Vim:
>macros to write `console.log()` on the line below from normal mode in vim, and then move cursor inside the brackets - one key stroke on the right thumb pad on the Advantage
>macros to search for appearances of `conso` in file, leading Vim to appearances of `console.log()`
>macros to type out my email address
>can manipulate large text files with ease by writing smart Vim macros and repeating them thousands of times

Finally, I'm using Gvim and git bash on either Ubuntu (vanilla) or Windows 10

this post is horrible opsec

My nigger. If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.