>removed the universal menu, the best thing about unity
>runs like a dry turd in the latest VM Ware
>GNOME is a cluster fuck of niggers

need I go on?

I loved unity...

yes, please continue i care so much about your opinion

>VM Ware
lol, faggot detected

I'm going to stick with 16.04 for as long as I can. I might go full autism and try to create a comfy setup with Arch and some window manager after this if no comfy distro shows up.

>using ubuntu

>what is a development snapshot

But Arch got systemd

10/10 fast as fuck boi

Just use Xubuntu or Kubuntu or other Linux Mint DEs.

Well I'm already using it anyway, but I guess I could look into shit like Void or maybe some BSD.

or you could do the exact same thing with ubuntu

not really worth it, arch has the AUR too

do they have filepicker thumbnails yet?

fuck no, and fuck you for asking

t. gnome developer

why do people feel the need to change their OS because one flavor of one distro has one specific default configuration they don't like?

>gnome developer
Are you a diversity hire?

Because they don't know what they're doing, so they don't know how to change things in a distro. They have to rely on a distro being perfect for their special snowflake personality.

You should have ditched Ubuntu and embraced Xubuntu long ago

Use Artix

This

just use openbox session wtf are you smokin

gnome >>>>>>>unity your only flaw is trying to make unity out of gnome, nautilus sucks tho perf wise

Gnome devs don't know how to do it

This is because all of you faggots kept trashing on Unity like it was the worst DE in existance. That thing performed better than Gnome, it had all features it could need for a DE except fucking ricing and it could have been a lot more than it was, by properly supporting it.

Now we have GNOME which is no less of a pain in the ass to customize (how come I can easily change the fonts for the top panel on Unity and not GNOME? How do you arbitrarily decide to give the user the option to change some fonts but not others?) and requiring a stupid browser plugin to install addons, of which some are quite buggy. Not to mention how these people dislike options and settings, they think they are too confusing for the general public or something and they release software that barely let you change a single thing.

Hell the 30fps animation there while switching desktops remains. How consistent is that?

Really it was a poor decision. They should have given Unity a better life, more support and more features. Now I have to use buggy shit like KDE or ancient desktops like XFCE.

So we can all agree the Ubuntu users are basically children, right?

I regret shitting on unity now. I was only trying to impress nerds on Sup Forums. Because if I talk shit about something then it looks like I know what I am talking about and that I would do better if I developed it myself. But unity was good. The second best choice is KDE, but it's buggy.

Unity was mainly thrashed for the Amazon BS they pulled.

just use nix as your package manager instead of apt.
all your problems will be gone.

I have been using kde since they made the switch from gnome to unity.
It is really good right now.
There are not a lot of bugs that stops you from doing your thing.
The workflow is different if you are used to the hud though.
In KDE applications, you open the "configure hotkey" and then search for the function.
If there is no hotkey, you make one and if there is one, either change it or remember it.
It works really well.

Someone actually made the HUD for kde but it was never merged into the main branch, and I think the project is dead now.

unity was trashed because it was a solution to a non-existing problem, that no one cared about but mark shuttleworth, and it originally came bundled with amazon, which also was unwanted by the community.

but in the end, it didn't matter as the community just created different flavors according to their own preferences and it's linux; you can change every aspect of your setup. no doubt that some disgruntled unity fanboys will pick up the development of unity and create a flavor in the same way the gnome2 fanboys created ubuntu mate

I love KDE, but it's too buggy to use on my work computer. Unfortunately... Ubuntu should have chosen KDE and fixed it up. KDE can be tweaked to look and function pretty much like unity as well so they could have kept the look and function without much hassle.

test

Unity was the only UI that I could tolerate. RIP.

they just couldn't stop themselves from butchering gnome into this pseudo unity theme and shitty breaking extensions. Its early unity all over again but this time they just fuck shit up for no reason.

Hello newfag

You can tweak KDE to function and look pretty much the same

16.04 plus decent DE like xfce is how it werks

I'd prefer to just have the shit work out of the box.

Plus everything sucks at DPI scaling but unity.

Unity was the closest Linux got to becoming mainstream.

I never talked shit on unity!

gnome is the worst DE
prove me wrong

I literally can't

GNOME is not a DE though

Great. Don't use it then.

u win dis time user

"ubuntu has encountered an error" dialog, every time you log in......

Go Debian testing

BSD is great if you love no or out of date software. Arch is comfy AF and AUR is really useful.

I just use ubuntu m8

Everyone should settle on KDE.

Just some OC I made just now, some oldfags might get the reference.
Have fun!

>install ubuntu 17.10
>expecting the year of the linux laptop
>can't do 60fps youtube because of stutter
>can't smoothly scroll webpages, despite having opengl force enabled
>computer hangs if I reboot while connected to the WiFi
>nvidia drivers don't switch between igpu and dgpu, so the laptop gets scalding hot while browsing the web
>bumblebee and nouveau just as bad as intel graphics
>xserver doesn't support vsync between igpu and dgpu, so nvidia prime sync is required, which only works at 30 fps
This kind of shit is the reason that arch linux, xfce and i3 are all as popular as they are

Move on. Arch is best for developers. You will never have to hunt for shitty ppa.

>bumblebee and nouveau just as bad as intel graphics
so they work better on arch linux?

Wait, did they really removed the universal menu? It was one of the few things I liked of Unity Ubuntu

arch with xfce is the tits to be honest.

arch linux works better because it doesn't hang on reboot
xfce and i3 are better than gnome because they don't stutter on intel graphics, and they don't need an nvidia video card to run a web browser smoothly

*and running a web browser with bumblebee is still stuttery

>install ubuntu
>change nothing from stock
>hard lock ups multiple times a day
>can't use mouse or Alt+F2 out of it
>5 minutes pass, error msg eventually pops up
>"sorry, Ubuntu has experienced internal errors"
>real fucking helpful
>try to solve it, try to check forums
>it's insisted I've fucked something up despite being a fresh clean install
>eventually pony up and install Arch
>no issues ever again
Ubuntu is a joke.

same. What were they thinking dropping it?

you realize you can run xfce and i3 with ubuntu and hanging on reboot has nothing to do with ubuntu. I know because mine doesn't hang.

Go opensuse with KDE or Xfce

xubuntu sucks

>ubuntu
>doesn't hang on reboot
dumbass, it does

nvidia doesn't support xwayland

think I'm going with user error on this one

Gnome is actually pretty great. Typing in the first letters of the program you want to run will always be faster than an application menu. The workspace overview is top notch with the natural window placement extensions. Add in workspaces and what you have is a damn efficient desktop with zero bullshit. It's simplicity is its main asset, calling it a clusterfuck is ridiculous

>ubuntu 17.10
>fresh install
>don't connect to WiFi
>reboot just fine
>decide to connect to WiFi
>reboot
>laptop will not turn off, even after minutes pass
at least arch had an update to fix this in a week, canonical is taking their sweet time fixing this bug

Same with Kubuntu. KDE is bug ridden and it's actually usable in Arch. Although an ubuntu flavor is not the worst case, Fedora kept crashing for me every 20 seconds. I kept getting notifications for that, how do they manage?

To be fair Ubuntu used to absolutely shit trying to manage dependencies if you installed any other gnome derivative alongside Unity. A lot of distros just don't play well with a DE other than the one that they ship with; the only reasonable option is to be using arch and even then personally I wouldn't be keen on maintaining multiple derivatives of the same parent DE.

well you can easily do a netinstall and install only stuff you want like on arch

>using Ubuntu as desktop
>one day apt-get says 'you have held broken packages'
>refuses to install software because of held packages
>refuses to drop broken packages
>only advice internet has to offer is manually checking every installed package for dependency errors

Nuked it and jumped ship to Antergos. How the fuck are people comfortable with a package manager that just fucking breaks your OS and calls it quits if you don't have the time to individually diagnose every single program you've ever updated or installed?

I started to use 16.04 LTS for work, & I hate it.

I've been using the same arch installation since 2010 on my current laptop. what the fuck is even the point of this shit distro if you're not paying for canonical's support?

the existence of apt-get install -f & the associated refusal to do anything else until you do run that command... it's gotta be a joke.

>fucking breaks your OS
ya a pacman -Syu has definitely never broken anything, ever

>BSD is great if you love no or out of date software.
Just need something to hoard anime, save text, watch youtube, back up the storage. Good to go.

I don't get why people miss the universal menu? Isn't the gnome menu the same thing?
How did you used to use the Unity menu that you miss it?

If fix-broken had actually worked do you think really think I would have written the post you are replying to?
Never in my entire life. I've never seen a broken arch installation apart from having lost power mid-upgrade

Fix broken is garbage and in the cases where it's incapable of helping, your only option is to use dpkg to remove all your packages until apt starts working again, otherwise you are left with an entirely broken package system and operating system on account of a single error

Not at all. The gnome "menu" is actually a tiny taskbar that only shows one task.

The universal menu in unity shows the context menus of each program on the top, same as macOS.

Y-you got me. ;_;

Then why would you care about DE? You barely need GUI at all.

It's unfortunate that the gnome team doesn't just adopt that, but the fact is that since the menu itself is only an optional extension, they're never going to remove essential features from anywhere else just to move them there. They really seem to not like having any two buttons that do the same thing, it's like their baseline and they almost seem willing to compromise any aspect of their design to make it a reality