/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html
unix.stackexchange.com/a/23294
fsfe.org/campaigns/android/liberate.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

GNU/Spooky edition

Please no. I don't need any more spookers in my life. Too scary.

This is a fucking mess.
Can anyone tell me which drivers are the latest version proprietary ones? Auto detect does jack shit.

You know, for the time it took for you to post this on two (2) threads, you could have probably done the research yourself.

I am a lazy piece of shit brainlet abusing waiting for replies to not do his linear algebra homework.

What font do I install if I just want Asiatic (e.g. nipponese) to look like something that isn't blocks? And how would I make this applicable to Firefox? Is there a distinction? Do I need to restart X or the whole operating system in order for the fonts to go into effect?

So far i only used ubuntu on my my server and on my main pc in a virtual box but now i installed it on windows 10 with that direct support thing.
When i ssh from windows ubuntu to my server ubuntu is it possible to open some ports on windows?

Up until now i used putty to do it where i redirected the port 9800 and then i could connect to it on my windows pc via localhost:9800 (which would allow me to communicate with the server at that prt)
So, can i do it on Windows ubuntu?

>which fonts
Depends on your likes, if you don't know, just install the whole google noto package.
>do i need to restart
No, just update the font cache, this is usually done automatically when you install a font with your package manager.

Perhaps not the right place to ask, but has anyone used plan9 before?
Is there something like select to tell you if a file is ready?

You should remove Windows completly since it's malware (and install Ubuntu on bare metal).

>Is there something like select to tell you if a file is ready?
What do you mean?

Actually, it may be in better taste just to install the official X11 fonts for each respective language that you need.

Yeah thats not going to happen, i have tons of games and other windows only software
Please just answer the question, this is friendly linux thread, not toxic elitist linux thread

sorry i mean select(2), synchronous I/O multiplexing. like epoll, poll etc just wondering what the equivalent on plan9 is

GNU/Linux thread*

Friends don't let friends use Windows.

Hi, is there a way on linux to resize your partitions on your diks on runtime? Like on Windows.
Gparted doesn't allow me to do this.

Here is what a friend of mine does.
Dual boot:
>one os for actual computing, surfing, anything
>one os for gaming and nothing else
How about that?

you can expand your partitions live. If gparted doesn't let you do it, you can do it from the terminal.
You cannot shrink partitions currently in use. You have to umount the partition in question or if you want to shrink your root partition you need to do it from a live system.

Struggling with linalg, congrats you are a brainlet!

Real friends mind their own damn business, because they don't understand the overarching circumstances that might force a friend to use proprietary software, and in using a free solution, you're forcing said friend to become dependent on you if said friend doesn't have the time or know how or *willingness* to learn how to subvert hurdles that free software may present by themselves. Real friends don't impose themselves on other people at the expense of their independence in order to inflate their egos. Real friends appreciate that their peers have other ways of living life that might not parallel their own, and that, in spite of that, we can all learn to appreciate each other in spite of our differences, because life is fleeting, and it would be in everyone's interest to spend more time cherishing each other rather than putting each other down over small things that they don't have control over.

That's what bothers me, if you can do it in Windows, why not in Linux?

GNU/Linux*

Thank you.

There are several overarching reasons why this is possible, and you haven't given us a good enough description of your circumstances to explain why. One possible issue is that in order to add space to a partition, unallocated space must be available immediately adjacent to the partition. Although none of this would be relevant if you were using a modern filesystem like ZFS. Then again, you wouldn't be asking this question if you had the know-how to use ZFS.

Would you let your friend use Windows after reading this gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html ?

>As this page shows, if you do want to clean your computer of malware, the first software to delete is Windows.

Yes.

What are some spooky terminal commands?

95% of everything i do i do on windows, dualboot would be a waste of space for me, i only want linux to run some utilities and doing remote ssh stuff, but while i am doing it i also do windows stuff alongside it so dualboot isn't an option anyway and mc pc is too old to support gpu passthrough

ls /etc/skel

I like ttf-sazanami

stat -c %a /dev/null
awk --copyright | wc -c
cat /dev/urandom | espeak -s 60 --stdout | ffplay -loglevel 0 -nodisp - -af aformat=channel_layouts=1c,asetrate=10000,aecho=0.8:0.9:666

>trying to install libmpdclient
>can't get this meson shit to work

please help I already know im retarded

Is there something wrong with your package manager?

>This is pretty cool, but I spotted a UUOC which triggered my autism.
espeak -s 60 --stdout < /dev/urandom | ffplay -loglevel 0 -nodisp - -af aformat=channel_layouts=1c,asetrate=10000,aecho=0.8:0.9:666 2>/dev/null

no why?

How can I install it through the package manager? I'm just following the instructions on the git

Should never have to deal with building from git. What distro are you on? It's in official repos for Arch.

Debian

libmpdclient2 in sid and jessie. libmpdclient-dev for headers if you're trying to write a client yourself.

yeah I literally just got everything working right now.

Thanks though.

>think im smart enough
>install arch linux
>doesnt boot
>install it again
>doesnt boot
>install it again
>doesnt boot

at least i tried. I dont even know if my motherboard is UEFI or BIOS but I partitioned both ways so I dont know whats wrong

Linux is a kernel. The operating system is called GNU, mostly used as a variant with the kernel Linux, hence GNU/Linux.

How far does it get in the boot process? Does it get to the bootloader? Does it get to the kernel? Any error messages?

Only 1% of the population is smart enough to install the arch, and only a quarter of them are intelligent enough to actually use it and update it

What is the best distro for transgenders?

why should I use mpd over cmus dudes

>too stupid to use mpd
git gut denpai

cowsay -f skeleton.cow boo

>cmus
meh, just use mocp.

It just says there is no bootable media

not an argument

how true is thisq
>have problem, ask for help, nobody helps
>have problem, act like "LOL KEKS LOONIX EVEN CANT DO and suddenly 20 people show up, proofing me wrong (helping)

Depends on the problem, honestly. If it's an unusual problem, no amount of reverse psychology will make people more willing to help.

Why would you ask why you should use random software instead of random software? Feel free to use what you want!

nerd sniping is 100% effective

a better way is "wow doing X is so fucking easy, you just do " then every one jumps in to call you you a retard and tell you how it's done

You can enter that BIOS and check if it does UEFI, you know.

You might have to because UEFI with enabled Secureboot crap will NOT boot anything that it doens't have a valid key for.

why does /fglt/ at first glance look like /fgt/

wget -qO- sprunge.us/KWEQ

Because you're bi-curious and focus such things faster.

Sounds like you didn't mark the partition bootable? Remount it and try that.

Hypothesis: This is intentional.

where in ubuntu linux can i place a key which i was given by a server neckbeard to use for ssh auth when connecting to his server waifu?

Anywhere you want, most people will put it in ~/.ssh but anywhere works, just pass it when you run ssh with ssh -i /path/to/key user@server

A big reason is that mpd clients can be more customizable than cmus. Otherwise, they're roughly the same, feature-wise, and it's just a matter of taste as to what you want to use.

DO i use the public one or the private one?

Because CIA niggers put estrogen in the water, and you're thinking with your feminine penis.

public. The private is private for a good dam reason.

is it just me or did they change the look of the Sup Forums front page a little bit? the text that says Sup Forums-technology is black for some reason.

also what OS should I put on my new home server (more of a repurposed workstation)?

I can't wait for the day that a public/private key standard replaces social security, and all the polish grandmothers will immediately show everyone their private key, because they can't grasp the significance of two arbitrary, magic numbers. It'll be like natural selection.

Pretty sure this would need to be the private one since it is an identity file, assuming you have it in ~/.ssh/id_rsa

See here unix.stackexchange.com/a/23294

Who is they?

But why is it more private than the public key? If you don't keep pub key private then anyone can use it to log in, giving away pub key is like givigng away your password

Hiromoot and his interns?

Which irc client do you use? weechat or irssi? Also where can I find you guys?

Is there a server where I can fuck around in order to learn ssh?

weechat is kickass esp with mouse support, user list, and tmux

check out bitcoinshell.mooo.com and donate if you can!

anyone got some lowkey cyberpunk inspo rice

I'm a complete pleb when it comes to phones, especially Android, but I got the old Android phone from a friend and I'm wondering how all this "flashing" or "replacing the rom" etc works and what I should use. All I want is a phone with as much botnet removed as possible. If anyone can help, point me to good reads or anything, I say thanks.

I just logged on to Sup Forums from my laptop (phoneposting is underrated) and they definitely changed the look of Sup Forums

>irc client
None, because i actually have sex with girls.

Who is they?

Classics use irssi, millenials use weechat.
That said, I'm a classic and I use weechat. :^)

look at this faggot right here

kys normalfag

i'm not a granny and i don't get it either, why do you need to keep one secrect but not the other?

anime website
fsfe.org/campaigns/android/liberate.html

Think about it from an asymmetric encryption perspective. Alice wants to send Bob a message that only Bob can read. Alice encrypts her message with Bob's public key. The message can only be decrypted with Bob's private key. Thus only Bob can read the message. Now Bob wants to send a reply to Alice, so he encrypts his message with her public key. The message can only be decrypted with her private key. Thus Alice & Bob can communicate securely.

Alternatively, if Bob wants to release a statement and prove that it was him who said it, he can "sign" it with his private key. The message can only be decrypted with his public key, thus there is proof that he wrote it.

You can see how this is a problem if a private key gets compromised for any scenario. You can also see why it's necessary that public keys are, well, public.

I see, so if i encrypt something with private key only pub key can decrypt it and vice versa, thats pretty smart, i wish i came up with that

it will be the easiest social hacking ever
>umm sorry miss but you sent me the wrong key, you need to send me that other one
>"oh golly i'm so sorry mr user, here it is, i'm not good with computers, please forgive me"
>ok bitch now suck my cock or i will steal your identity and ruin your life
>"ok... you didn't have to blackmail me for THAT tho"

Actually other way around, you encrypt with the public key and decrypt with your private key, but yeah.

Think of it like this:
>I just send a packages with an attached lock (i got the instructions how to make the lock by that persons public key), and only that persons private key can open the lock.
when you send an email, a file or something

or
>I give everyone my public key, so anyone can use my instructions to create a lock which only myself is able to open, in case anyone wants to send something to me, only myself should read
when you upload your key to a keyserver

Really, I hate xkcd. It's a mirror of meme'd half knowlege.

>dpkg, apt-get, aptitude, apt-cache, debsums, deporphan, apt-file no end
When will Debian fix this clusterfuck?

What the fuck.

Latest Pango has a bug with word word wrapping. Has anyone noticed the bug in their file managers where it doesn't show

>long file...
but shows
>long file name that should actually be shortened.png

Why care? It's just default aliases to access single package manager apt, which is basically network-aware front-end for dpkg.
There's still a single pm in debian. Far from gentoo clusterfuck.

It's being worked on upstream. See:
reddit/r/archlinux/comments/79byox/
gnome bug 789625

Also those aliases required for backwards compatibility with old scripts. Its rather sign of debian superiority imo.