Is all Japanese typesetting as bad as Wikipedia? This isn't a shitpost; I'm genuinely curious

Is all Japanese typesetting as bad as Wikipedia? This isn't a shitpost; I'm genuinely curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_(typefaces)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_gothic_typeface
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

アメリカ死ね

what do you mean by that
this isnt a shitpost just explain the detail of "typesetting as bad as"

>bad
it's common for us. as for me English pages look cool however boring just like visiting rural areas where only same scene lasting forever. it's painful to read them.

So, in other words, yes?

Yes

It's incredibly difficult to make out the strokes in the bold characters, which to me as someone unused to reading them look like black or blue squares. The text also appears to be very crammed together (though I think that's just because I'm used to spaces as an English native).

Mostly, I just imagine that there are ways to present this writing more aesthetically pleasing; how does writing normally look in Japan? What do books' pages look like?

>it's common for us. as for me English pages look cool however boring just like visiting rural areas where only same scene lasting forever. it's painful to read them.
I love Japanese posts; they're like poetry.

>gify2.gif

thats the problem of your font size, isnt it? the bold fonts on the screenshot are certainly squashed but still its not so hard to read.
anyway typeset or typeface on japanese books in general doesnt have such a problem. shit like this is pretty much a matter of the internet/PC/font.

and same goes for english for instance when you read/write an i and l connected word like illiterate

is this why they all squint?

I-I'm so very sorry!

Ill morn mom.

I've configured Chinese font rendering on my machine, but not Japanese. Firefox seems to identify the difference. The default Asian font rendering is super aliased and blurry looking. It's in part because people think that lots of smoothing looks good, but it points to laziness on the programmers' part.

You can do an unscientific test for this yourself. If you take a screenshot of some text and zoom in with ms paint or gimp, you should not see any colour around black text. That means your computer is sending a signal to your monitor that's badly configured, but if you check and the font's still barfing rainbows despite good colour calibration for your monitor, your fonts are badly configured somewhere else. Next, when you zoom in on a font by holding ctrl and hitting + or scrolling with the mouse wheel, the fonts should not change their weight, only their size. Bad font rendering will jump between heavy characters that look almost bold and regular characters. Lastly, when you zoom in on fonts, there should only be aliasing to smooth characters at the moment their strokes bend or cross. Bad aliasing makes characters look blurry. I've configured my chinese sans-serif font to do away with aliasing at normal font sizes because it makes traditional characters a pain to read, and since I'm literally not even HSK1, I really don't need to make reading chinese any harder than it already is.

Objectively speaking, what's the best writting system from a typographical perspective?

I'd say maybe something like Georgian. Absolutely no ambiguity with Arabic numerals or between different letters, not a billion details which become impossible to read if the font is too small and/or bold, and while 33 letters is more than the Latin alphabet, they artificially reduce letter count by not distinguishing between upper-case letters and lower-case letters. Not to mention it looks aesthetic as fuck.

>The default Asian font

>1443697369257.gif

Yo, what're the best Chinese and Japanese fonts for web veiwing?

I'd say Korean as long as they don't use that stupid calligraphy font where the letters are bigger or smaller depending on how easy it'd be for the reader to read it or whatever.

thats hard to read. i mean, it only looks like lll mom mom

Meanwhile, in Japanese:
土は士ないです。

MESS WITH MY FILE NAMES AND YOU MESS WITH THE BEAST REEEE

I hate that. Occasionally I use kanji.sljfaq.org/mr-old.html to translate Japanese text and I often get stuck because some symbols look exactly the same to my untrained eye.

>inazuma.jpg
See, was it so hard to pick a good file name?

in other words or a nutshell, thats about the difference gothic typeface and mintyou tai one, i think.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_(typefaces)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_gothic_typeface

japanese use both in each situation. generally gothic ones arent used for something long to read. its for more of ad and typography. op uses a gothic one for it.

Well shit; you win this round. So here's another file I couldn't be bothered to name yet close to my heart.

>kolor_szary_3.jpg
What in the world makes you think that isn't a good name?

Gothic is like the helvetica of Japanese fonts - looks cool but not exactly what people want when they read long stuff, and yet many web browsers adopt it as default one because 1) looks vivid 2) you need a high-dpi display like Mac's Retina if you want to render Minchotai font (pic) with a decent quality on a small display.

>get played by a fucking American
It tells me I should stop posting but you're alright all the same.

>william_s__burroughs_gun.jpg
>__

It's so you can catch a break from the break before getting shot :^)

Fair enough. Good game, by the way.