>GnU pLuS LiNuX

Seriously, it's just Linux. Full stop.

Why do you care? Do you have autism?

Linux is just the kernel.

nice twitter meme, you fucking piece of shit redditor normie

>Windows plus NT
Seriously, it's just NT

*GNU/Linux

yeah. i mean, it's been shown a few times on Sup Forums that you can build a system without any gnushit and still have a fully functioning system.

What's up with the normie memes?

Actually, it's NT+Explorer+Windows+sys32.

The shell is Explorer, the kernel is NT and the userland is called Windows.

a Clusterfuck then

Thats exactly what GNU-Tards believe.

The take home point here is that the userland is called Windows, therefore the entire OS is also called Windows.

MacOS/Darwin = MacOS
Windows/NT = Windows
iOS/Darwin = iOS
Android/Linux = Android
GNU/Linux = _____

Linux is just the kernel. It's only a few megabytes in size and a tiny fraction of a complete operating system.

The name GNU/Linux refers to an operating system with Linux as the kernel and a shit load of GNU tools to actually do anything with said kernel.

> GNU/Kucks SEETHING

STOP LYING:
Now you are just making shit up. None of the operating systems you listed use the userland/kernel scheme. In most cases this doesn't make sense because the kernel and userland wasn't independently developed and later brought together.

Unlike GNU/Linux distros.

>MacOS/Darwin
Darwin is the userland, XNU is the kernel.

There is/was an OS called OpenDarwin which is basically a macOS stripped down to only the essentials.

It is gnu+Linux, without gnu there would be no Linux and vice versa

Guys, while a lot of this might be complete autism, I personally think that in this day and age, calling it GNU/Linux actually has some real meaning. There is this little thing called Android, and it uses the Linux kernel, but the rest of the components are non-GNU. Some are even proprietary! However, I have seen normies make the dangerously misleading claim that "Android is Linux!" It technically is, as it uses the Linux Kernel, but it shares nothing else with GNU/Linux distros, particularly their respect for your freedoms.
Because of this, we should say GNU/Linux, so as not to confuse it with the botnet that is Android, or other such projects. By saying GNU/Linux, we make it clear that yes, we are using Linux, but we are also using Free Software.

it takes some real autism to call linux distributions anything but linux, or alternatively + linux

>call android/linux just android
>nobody complains

>call gnu/linux just gnu
>OMG U WANNA STEEL CREDEET FROM LINUS TECHTIPS, OMG THAT GUY ATE FROM HIS FEET!

NT is associated with Windows NT operating system, same with explorer and system 32

>all these replies
Seriously, It's just bait. Full stop

more like:
>GNU

>NT is associated with Windows NT operating system
Well, the current Windows version is NT version 10 though (Windows 8.1 was NT version 6.3). XP was NT version 5.0

Yes, but most of the time it's easier to say "have you installed 7 yet?"
than: "Have you installed Windows NT 6.1)" Which can be easily confused with vista

Freetards are autistics by nature.

But OP is not a freetard, he implies that the GNU is irrelevant.

How do you do reverse greentext arrows?

This. It's just GNU, not Linux and definitely not GNU/Linux.

It is though. It's not related to Linux as such.
GNU-less Linux exists you know.

A word from Linus, the actual creator of the Linux operating system.

I thought you GNU(knew) that it's called gnu/linux

It's GNU plus Linux. By saying GNU slash Linux you are telling me that GNU is equal to Linux, but that is not true. It's GNU plus the Linux kernel. So next time, please say: GNU plus Linux

You mean systemd plus GNU plus linux

userland tools need not be mentioned.

>GNU-less Linux exists you know.
And to the user these are fundamentally different than GNU/Linux distros.

Face it, Linux is nothing but a kernel. GNU is the OS. Strip away the GNU and you have a completely different system.

Then why is it called Windows and not NT?

or as I've recently taken to calling it, LiGnux.

>bootloader is gnu
>libc is gnu
>the only compiler the kernel can compile with is gnu (llvmlinux hasn't been updated in a while)
>coreutils is gnu
>shell is gnu
>make is gnu
>autotools is gnu
>gnome is gnu

We all know Linus is wrong on this one, that NO, Linux is not a OS, but a kernel. It's a huge part in importance, but still, not an OS. But what the fuck, Linux sounds good and Gnu sucks. nobody will ever call it Gnu/Linux or Gnu+Linux. Better call by the name.
>Hey, I'm running Debian.
Sounds better.

It's ironic that you use Debian as an example, as Debian is one of the few distros that actually insist that you use the full name, namely "Debian GNU/Linux" rather than other distros that usually go by a shortname ("Ubuntu", "Centos", "Fedora") or their name + Linux ("Arch Linux", "Slackware Linux")

Petty arguments like this are one of the reasons Linux will never have mainstream acceptance.

So instead of 'GNU+Linux' it's 'GNU+Linux.'?
Not a big change, not sure why you insist on it.

Yes, they're called that way because the developers/creators gave it a name. This even happens with Android and ChromeOS: only idiots call them "Linux" and everyone else calls them by the mame their makers gave them.
RMS made a Unix-like operating system and called it GNU, so it's name is GNU.
>b-b-b-but Alpine doesn't use GNU Coreutils!!!!!
Then it's another operating system. By the same token one could point to GNU/kFreeBSD, GNU/HURD or GNU/NT and point out that GNU doesn't need Linux to function.

no it's not. Linux is a kernel. Linux is not a userland unto itself. GNU is not the only userland. stop with this bullshit.

3/10 bait, got a reply

It's also a colloquialism for operating systems that use said kernel.

Not only that, the way Android and GNU function is completely different. The / tree is differently laid out, userland is different, the way everything works is different, hell; GNU Bash scripts may not run at all because Toybox doesn't come with all the shit Coreutils does.
The same thing can be said about any other operating system using Linux, but not GNU; or GNU without Linux.

>What is metonymy
You fags should just learn to go with the flow.

The kernel is the only common denominator when it comes to binary compatibility. GNU has nothing to do with it. You can replace GNU utils with BusyBox and/or other software and still maintain binary compatibility. However, if you swap the kernel for Hurd, kFreeBSD, Darwin, etc... you lose binary compatibility.

>normie
Wow, the irony. Middleschooler please leave.

>There is this little thing called Android, and it uses the Linux kerne
It uses a modified version of the Linux kernel which does not maintain binary compatibility with versions of the Linux kernel found in Linux desktop operating systems. That is what makes Android a different operating system.

>You can replace GNU utils with BusyBox and/or other software
And it would become an entirely different OS (see for example Android).

See

>still maintain binary compatibility
Not necessarily.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about, clearly.

Oh, so I can run binaries compiled with musl on my glibc system now? Someone should tell the folks at void that they are wasting a lot of time.

No, (you) don't know what you're talking about. Android cannot run programs used in GNU operating systems, even older ones that used the regular Linux kernel such as Android 2.1.
Chrome OS also can't despite not using a custom kernel. GNU with the HURD or kFreeBSD kernel can run programs written for GNU/Linux without needing any recompile or rewrite at all.
Hell, *BSD will run most GNU programs as long as they're POSIX compliant.
The only programs that cannot run are those that (obviously) depend on the kernel such as SELinux, Apparmor, systemd and other programs that depend on them.

Question for GnU pLuS LiNuX tards: what happens if I replace a small number of gnu components with alternatives?

Let's say I used musl and mksh; what do you call it now? gnu/2 + musl/4 + mksh/4 + linux? What if I throw in BSD coreutils, leaving only the bootloader as gnu? Which components of an OS need to be included in the name, and which ones can be left out?

Android has a modified kernel which does not maintain backwards compatibility. It's not the same kernel you retard.

>GNU with the HURD or kFreeBSD kernel can run programs written for GNU/Linux without needing any recompile or rewrite at all.
But that's wrong you retard

As long as the program isn't dependant on something linux-specific, it'll run fine.

>even older ones that used the regular Linux kernel such as Android 2.1

>As long as the program isn't dependant on something linux-specific, it'll run fine.
Pics or it didn't happen

Nigga, a basic bitch "Hello, World" in C isn't going to fail just because you're using BSD instead of Linux.

Again, pics or it didn't happen

>wasting my time installing BSD because some guy on Sup Forums can't into standard C libraries

You would have to recompile the binary in order for it to run.

Not if both systems are using GNU coreutils.

That's wrong, retard.

You're wrong retard.

Israel/Palestine

Then prove it you ignoramus.

Prove you're right first.

Burden of evidence doesn't work that way. The person maintaining the position of skepticism does not have to prove anything. You are asking me to prove a negative. When I show you that it doesn't work you can just make up any number of bullshit excuses as to why it didn't work and blame the failure on me. You are the one who asserts that it can be done. If you are such an expert on how to get this working then you must be the one to demonstrate it.

Hah, I'd knew you'd pull this bullshit. The original claim was made by >You can replace GNU utils with BusyBox and/or other software and still maintain binary compatibility.
This is where the burden of proof lies and also is not proving a negative statement. So prove it faggot.

Fuck off out of the thread RMS.

>larping as linus techtips

No, you get out.

you're all fucking gay

>what is POSIX?
(You.)

t. 12 y/o that thinks the LTT meme is "dank"
Just end yourself, kid. You are the cumshot your mother should have swallowed.

Drink bleach.
Put yourself out of our misery.

>emporer
And you're the cumshot your mother should have gotten mixed with shit on her bowels.

The kernel IS the entire OS

prove me wrong

What is an OS?

A miserable pile of code.

Doesn't BSD run an emulation layer?

*BSD isn't like Linux where it's a bunch of different configurations of the same programs, each is its own OS with its own kernel and userland. Some have compat layers, some don't.