Turn computer off for the night or put it to sleep?

Turn computer off for the night or put it to sleep?

Hibernate

>having a computer

Off.
KDE can save my session (relaunch applications I had running) and booting is fast.

unplug it from the wall

sleep is much faster to wake up from
why would you turn it off

i boot from an SSD so i just turn it off.

Poorfags

but sleep doesn't really use much energy does it?
otherwise you would just leave it on, and not asleep

Before I go to bed I hit the breaker switches and you should too. You never know what data the NSA/Microsoft/Big3 sends around the room. And then people wonder why facebook is so popular... they CONTROL you to make you use them

>hit the breaker switches
>or just unplug your ethernet cable
difficult decision
but doing this to prevent data leakage is just silly, as they could just send the data when the power is eventually turned back on

leave it on and seed. I checked it's as much as leaving a 100watt bulb on.

Good guy seeder.

>Not buying burner laptops every day off of Craigslist and throwing them out before you go to bed

ive gotten in the habit of turning it off and flipping the switch on the power source when im "done" for the night. started using my consoles for watching shit as im going to bed due to a more reliable sleep/shut down timer

shut down monitors and leave it running

I turn it off because it's in my sleeping room and, as muffled as mine is, hard drives aren't exactly silent.
Definitely thinking about doing a build with only digital storage because of this.

I use my computers as heaters in winter, so they are on 24/7 when temperatures drop running BOINC or mining depending on their hardware
Otherwise my main computers are on 24/7, I find no point in shutting them down and they're efficient enough that idling won't matter at all electricity wise
Also off/on cycles would shorten their lifespan, not that it actually matters at all, they will be way obsolete when any cycling effect matters

If I've booted into Debian I use suspend.
If I've booted into Windows 10 I use sleep but it doesn't matter because it wakes up constantly.
I wish I got my gaymes to work in Debian so I can wipe Windows 10 out for good. Mostly Overwatch, it opens but movement lags or twitches or something. Also the gun was invisible the last time I tried. I can't play like that.

I shut it down and switch off my wifi controlled wall-outlet

same here

i have to make these touch in order to turn my computer on, so i never bother to turn it off in the first place. i hibernate/sleep it and wake it up with my mouse.

Just leave it on.

I'm usually using the computer at night.
When I sleep however I put it to sleep.

I seed on my home server that runs 24/7 however.
Torrenting on your main workstation is kind of overkill.

It probably gets woken up random mouse movements, unplug your mouse.

>everyone has a main workstation and a home server

Probably just a shitty motherboard.
Even the most sensitive mice don't wake up a computer like that.

>not having a main workstation and a home server
What are you doing on Sup Forums then?

I was talking from personal experience, I had my PC wake up randomly in the past, but once I started removing the batteries from my mouse after putting my PC to sleep, it stopped happening.

I just have a gayming laptop with debian that I use as a workstation and for seeding. I used to have a raspberry pi server, but my ISP blocked all my ports after I ran a tor relay and a webserver for a couple months.

>cucked by your ISP
Get a better ISP, unless you live in some backward country like "land of the muh free" where ISPs cucking their consumers is normal.

I never shut down my computer, put it to sleep, or even log out. When I'm done I just get up and walk away.

turn it off because I have my computers/monitors hooked up to a master slave power strip, so turning off the computers also turns off the monitors

Why would you turn it off just to turn it on again later

Shut down, flip the switch on my PSU, cutting the power from it.

I never turn mine off, or suspend it or whatever, there's just no point.

dissassemble-it