/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

git.z3bra.org/wendy/file/README.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#GNU.2FLinux_distributions
opensource.org/node/901
kernel.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if i want to distance from systemd if i only avoid debian and ubuntu based distros am i good

Looking for a program/daemon that can run in the background and monitor a folder and its folders and files when its executed(file) or accessed(folder). Something like having a counter for when its been accessed and a list of last date accessed in a single log file
What program would do this?

>60-70 tabs in win7 6gb memory
>60-70 tabs in gnu+linux 2gb memory
i'm glad that's over with.

what's the best choice for torrent client? i want something that lets me easily set the new location again preferably

Please come back when you can write a coherent sentence.

No, almost every distro out there uses it, even arch.

You have to find autist-distros if you want to escape the systemd botnet

Transmission is good enough for me

>25 tabs in linux 2GB memory
>10 tabs in linux 2GB memory
>5 tabs in linux 2GB memory

fucking firefox

Maybe something like this? git.z3bra.org/wendy/file/README.html

Transmission(-daemon), rtorrent, deluge...
Pretty much all of them. That's not a difficult criteria to fulfill. Believe it or not, bittorrent isn't exactly a complicated thing, nor are clients so diverse that it warrants the kind of obnoxious, ignorant discussion you see on here.

It is coherent though.
Even Slackware?

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#GNU.2FLinux_distributions

Install Gentoo, Void or Devuan.
Slackware is so retro!

slackware's an autist distro so they're probably safe

Serious question. Are there really still people around here using Slack? I never used it but I imagine hell without a proper package manager.

GNU's Not my Unix operating system
I use LINUX, just LINUX

Yes. The package manager is easily superior to anything else. Good bait.

Is Slackware a bad idea?

Linux Is Not UniX!

Discussion time. Try not to make it a shit flinging mess

What would it take for the main distros to switch off of systemd? Poettering jumping the shark on something? A slow structural unwinding from within the devs? Something better and cleaner than what we've had before, and are easier to implement for the distro managers?

Is anything like that being worked on? Sometimes I feel just forking everything is not the solution. Distros like Devuan are just going to be their own thing and Debian is never going ton implement any init scripts from them, etc. Systemd will keep momentum if solutions just stay isolated to obscure forks

Naked, bare Linux? Without any bootloader, shell, libs, programs, etc? Pretty cool, show me your ways, senpai.

How do I change settings on an AMD GPU? My old card was Nvidia which had a GUI, I can't find mucg info on AMDs drivers though. Arch btw.

Whats the problem with systemd?

If you wanted to replace systemd you'd have to completely skip the ideological issues and focus on the practical.

A systemd replacement would have to be:
Simpler
Easier to implement
Work better/faster/stronger/harder

It's complex; does too much at once and thereby makes an easy target for exploiting the linux

If you ask me, I don't see a problem with systemd. It got some popularity b/c lazy distro devs, but it also got lots of controversity.

At the point when systemd really becomes a problem, people will simply create non-systemd distros like Devuan.

people will use whats most popular
>arch doesnt switch
>debian doesnt switch
>noobuntu doesnt switch
now, where is the diversity?

adding to that, projects depend on systemd more and more and more, which results in even more and more and more work to get rid of systemd

It dosent work with subfolders

Unpopular opinion: What if systemd sucsessfully makes the system better? Why not let them try?

>manual dependency resolution
>"the best package manager"
Kek

expert yet unpopular opinion: Ubuntu rulez them all

*drops mic*
*dabs*

Best post in this thread.

thanks la xx

The goal of systemd is to remove any diversity and flexibility we had all the years and turn the system into a unified, general purpose OS like Windows and macOS which just werks.

You can think of that like you want, but the real danger is that one single entity gains simply too much power. A program should run with whatever init, mounting, privilege or whatever else setup you're using.

If systemd people really want to make a general purpose "Linux", they should simply create their own, linux-based operating system and leave us alone.

There should always, always, always be alternatives.

Monocultures are easy to wipe out once you figure out their critical flaw. Imagine if the only DE was Gnome, or the only operating system was Windows.

Look at it in the way you would evolution.

I'm apprehensive about Fuschia for example, but yet another alternative kernel for people to pick and choose from isn't a bad thing.

You're missing out. I just feel bad for you.

EMBRACE
EXTEND
EXTINGUISH

Microsoft being a premium donor to the Linux foundation should raise eyebrows. Systemd creating a singular point of failure should raise eyebrows.

Microsoft recently joined the OSI too and funds them now: opensource.org/node/901

yeah, but systemd isn't microsoft
systemd even went so far to use the gpl

To all anti-systemd guys: Does it trigger you that a single entiy called Linux rules over you?

You say that like Freetards and Anti-systemd nuts are one in the same. Stallman doesn't even like the Unix model, he says that it's sufficient but overrated.

what else is there though? everything is unix or windows or shit

Okay, what's the sum of 2+2? And don't give me that 4 bullshit, give me a real answer.

>you will never have thumbnails in your filepicker unless you install kde
why even stay alive

The whole filepicker meme forced me to organize my shit better. Based GNOME.

>filepicker
you don't use terminal for file management? dumb frog poster

What's wrong with KDE?

My thinkpad won't stay powered on without charger plugged on and it has orange blinking light. How do I check condition of my battery?

Wh-
what?

You implied there were non unix options
the only ones i know are windows and templeos

When money trumps ideology

So where do we go when Linux becomes compromised as it is becoming?

I posted last night about thunar screwing up how files with long names are displayed, I rebooted twice today and now it works. Pic related is dolphin, but this is exactly how thunar displayed them the entire time I've been using it across all distros, and how it displays it now. Still have no idea what caused it but if anyone experiences a similar problem just try waiting a day and rebooting a bunch of times.

>tfw used EXWM + Spacemacs on my work computer today
I am become GNU, destroyer of Winbuttholes.

Wow, you're more ignorant than I thought.

You aren't a real Emacs user if you're using evil mode. Especially not if you're using a starter kit like spacemacs.

Have you tried Artix yet? It's Arch/Manjaro OpenRC done right

Non Evil mode causes RSI. I've written my own private layers for Spacemacs and use a bunch of non-managed packages too. Spacemacs just handles the grunt work.

tlp-stat
If your chinkpad is librebooted then you need to flash the original BIOS and install tp-smapi

I know. I'm sorry, user. I was being elitist for no reason, other than to inflate my ego. Can you forgive me? Also, what web browser do you use? I use EXWM, too, and I use firefox with vimperator and a bunch of tweaked keybinds, but I encountered an issue today when I rebound other-window to M-o for ease of use. Obviously you wouldn't have this issue specifically with Spacemacs, but do you ever encounter issues like that?

I use Firefox, although I'm considering moving to Qutebrowser once it gets proper ad blocking.

Yeah, I'm in a similar position with Dooble, except that Dooble will never improve since it's basically almost abandonware at this point, and the way Dooble handles exceptions for things like javascript and XHR will never hold a match to Icecat with uMatrix and vimperator and a good user.js. It's kind of sad that there's not a browser on the market that values both ergonomics and security. There are hardly any browsers in the market that care about just ergonomics, and that's pretty depressing.

is emacs really getting a CoC?

Literally everything

Choice and Consequence?

M-x expand-dong

CODE OF CONDUCT ;___;

RIP

linux can be used without any g nu

Linux cant be used without any t hing,

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Linux is an OS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*GNU/Linux

It's just a kernel. kernel.org/
Thst's cool, but that's it.

>normie opinions
>using reee
surely reddit is in here

Why doesn't Linus fix the linux filepicker in linux? Windows has thumbnails since the 90s lmao. Linus and his OS fucking sucks.

Yeah. Somebody better put Linus in his place and tell him to get on with getting thumbnails in his OS.

+1

Almost all the major distros use systemd now unfortantely. Gentoo and Slackware are the only major distros that don't.

Access time or atime is recorder by default in Linux, unless you mounted your drive with no atime. So you should be able to find the last accessed time through your file manager.

I think it will take either some sort of major crisis relating to systemd that affects all the distros, something like a big remote hole or systemd breaking every distro. Also we already have cleaner alternatives to systemd like OpenRC, it's just OpenRC didn't have the piles of advertising money that systemd did.

Can someone ELI5 what exactly systemd is, why it became a thing, and why I should hate it too?

>best answer gets gold!! :333 :DDDDD

ThinkPad with 16GB RAM and SSD. Do I need swap or not? Can I suspend without hibernating if no swap?

It doesn't make the system better and it's probably not going to. Most anti-systemd people don't care if they try making their own thing, the problem is all of these forced dependencies on systemd which makes it harder to run a system the way you want it. For example, logind and udev which are both required for many desktop environments are tied into systemd, even though they don't have to be as shown by elogind and eudev.

Microsoft just started trying to embrace open source, they aren't ready for extending and extinguishing just yet, and they probably won't be able to as no one trusts them. Red Hat are the ones doing what MS wishes they could do, red hat is trusted due to its history of contributing back so they had the perfect position to force systemd on everyone.

systemd is an init system, service manager, and set of daemons and libraries for doing "low level stuff", or if you want the official description it's "a suite of basic building blocks for a Linux system". An init system is a piece of software that does the initialization of your computer, basically it starts up a series of programs called daemons or services that provide essential functionality, typically this includes things like a logging daemon, a desktop manager (provides your login screen), a network connection manager, a device manager, the ssh daemon, and it mounts your file systems. A service manager is a program that manages the above mentioned services and sometimes starts them itself (for example in OpenRC the init system just starts OpenRC then OpenRC starts the services) basically it keeps track of running services and lets you start, stop and view their current status. systemd integrates both init and service management into one binary as well as some other functionality like networking, a device manager, dbus (a userspace application communication backend) and some other shit. A large chunk of this runs in the main systemd binary which runs as PID 1. In Linux PID 1 is a special process that not only becomes the parent to all orphaned processes, but also will cause a kernel panic if it crashes. A lot of the hate with systemd is due to the fact that it is a huge mass that can take down your whole system if it crashes, and it connects to so many other programs leaving potential for more crashes and for security vulnerability.

Wow. Alright thanks user.

So basically why aren't we bickering over calling it GNU/Linux/systemd :~)

Why is it that Linux sucks donkey dick for gaming?
How does a game's source code change to need such hardware?

Wrong requirements.

It's the case for many other games as well; look at gameplay videos as well.

It's almost like games written for a non-Unix operating system are less efficient when ported.

What's the actual difference between drawing a pixel on windows and on linux? It can't be that fucking hard.

GPU vendors put more effort into their windows drivers, so they typically work better.
Mesa (Linux's open-source OpenGL driver) does not perform game-specific optimisations, while the Windows drivers do, so larger games will run a bit better.

Linux GPU drivers have come a long way in the past couple of years, though, and are perfectly fine for gaming. Even using the open-source drivers (AMD specifically, not so much on modern Nvidia), the gaming performance is perfectly acceptable.

Other than that, there is no reason a game would run slower. In fact, if I recall correctly, a lot of Valve games actually run better on Linux.

No way, I couldnt even load the map on nouveau and got glitches and half the fps on proprietary nvidia in csgo. Proprietary drivers are outdated as well and for some reason everyone recommends not getting them off the nvidia website.

Because nvidia has a literally Steve Balmer-tier hate boner for free software.

Nvidia is fucking garbage, especially with modern cards.
I've heard that older cards work well, but since they're starting signing their card's firmware, you're basically fucked.

You should have bought AMD.

> difference between drawing a pixel on windows and on linux?
Graphical libraries.
E.g.
Vulkan works on Linux much better than opengl on Windows, but opengl Linux < opengl Windos, etc.
I hope that generation of wayland will bring to our much more new features.

Wayland has nothing to do with graphics libraries like OpenGL/Vulkan.
It's just a windowing system.

I'm using Irfanview as my picture viewer in windows. What's the linux equivalent for Irfanview? I want a picture viewer that I can operate mostly with just the keyboard.

> Will bring us
Fix. Sry for my broken eng.

I know, but I think that with new windowing system, developers will change all Linux mainstream utils. For example alsa/pulseaudio must be replaced by something completely new.

but then your thoughts are wrong, alsa/pulseaudio is not going to be replaced because of wayland.