/wt/

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/YB6B4z4PqdA

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.ebay.com/itm/Exellent-LUCH-ultra-slim-USSR-wristwatch-23-Jewels-Gilded-Mechanism-2209-SU/282696918857?_mwBanner=1
youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4ElboiuA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for one handed watches.

How do these things work?

Just like a regular watch but only with the hour hand.

I have some 2209 and they arent this cute. Is the brass/2609 a special edition?

SECOND FOR SOVIET TRASH

its a 2809 "precision" movement. Not sure if its an actual precision movement or just a standard 2809

anyone else see this patrick star post on r/watches?

each hash between the arabic hour markings represents 5 minutes.

>dat pitting on the holder bar
do they use metal cast parts for watches???

Amazing, I got one for $599 second hand.

That may be camera defect my mistake

Are vintage Sea-Gulls any good?

What the hell are you doing on r/watches?

Reposting on this thread

I was wondering if any expert out there can help me figure out how much this is worth.

I retook the picture on the left so the text would be more legible. If you still cant read it it says,
top: ARTHUR LEMMAN SWISS
bottom: THREE 3 ADJUSTMENTS FIFTEEN 15 JEWELS

Very underrated. I'd get this railroad model if I had space.

/wt/ isnt here for the money or identifying watches for their worth.

m.ebay.com/itm/Exellent-LUCH-ultra-slim-USSR-wristwatch-23-Jewels-Gilded-Mechanism-2209-SU/282696918857?_mwBanner=1

Thinking of pulling the trigger lads, should I?

Sorry for the misplacement of my post, disregard it then

Are there any good sellers I could buy from?

Show me your jap quartz shitters!
I know we all have them

>-23-Jewels
can anyone explain to a noob what those "jewels" stand for?

If I had to be honest about it, if it says 14K and it really is 14K gold, it might be worth at least the weight of gold parts in gold. If the movement is salvable, then a collector would prolly pay a lot more, its just hard to conclude on the basis of photos. Take it to a trustworthy jeweller or post it on ebay if you already didnt.

Jewels are used on those certain parts of a mechanical movement that quite literally move all of the time. Jewels are used (nowadays they are synthetic) because of their ability to take abuse beyond lets say, metals. The number of jewels often tells you whether a movement is a wind up or automatic, day and date or not, because the more complications the movement has, the more jewels are used to keep it moving.
That being said get a digital quartz

Jewels are bearings. They are the little rubies in the movement that friction points like gears sit inside. They really don't wear down and hold lubrication for longer. The red circles in this photo are the jewels. A think a fully jeweled standard hand wind is 19 and automatic is 23 but don't quote me.

thanks
>get a digital quartz
already have g shock g-lide that even tells me when the tide and full moon are coming

I will never understand golden looking watches, they all look like dogshit.

cop or not?

Yeah, from Taobao using an agent.

they are cheap but at the same time no matter how much i shit on nip shit watches i would rather have an orient than a swatch.

Most of them look like dogshit, but thats just the majority comprised of disgusting Invictas and Rollies for new money and niggers, while gold ultra thin dress watches look pretty good IMO

this

I hate 90 percent of golden watches and own 0 but all my grails are solid gold

I would say yes, but they can fuck right off with the proprietary bands.
The bezel is also sort of fugly.

No the hands aren't the right length and it triggers me.

Are you people aware of the Fieldmaster's existence?

I was not. I like the hands and the numerals, but hate the dried piss lume. Also not a fan of the Tuna-style case, feels unnecessarily bulky. And while I'm whining, I can't stand having both 1-12 AND 13-24 numerals on the dial.
I wish Seiko still had a

Yes.

why would i ever buy that?

*still had a nice, higher end field watch. The SARG011 was the shit.

>SARG011
40 + mm
>field watch
400+ dollars
6r15

in what universe would this be a good purchase decision?

You pos i was literally in the middle of buying that.

Love mine.
But I paid under $300

The Seiko SARG007 is ~$350 with the same movement if you can find one and is certainly a better value than a Khaki in this price range. What else would you suggest considering for $400 or less?

at that price that is the best option

The gpm
is a similar price range however and i think it is an infinitely cooler field watch.

Don't Marathon's field watches have serious issues with water and condensation?

You should be thanking him. That thing was most definitely a shitty franken being peddled by some gypsy.

Where can you get a SARG007

Field watches are not water proof they are water resistant and dust proof

Dive watches are water proof.

I've been wanting to make a digital clock using straight up logic gates and relays and using nixie tubes for the display all from scratch because kits are for pussies. The problem with that is it will probably increase my electric bill by like %200 and get hot and catch fire.

>water proof
lol, wut??

also, that Marathon is only water resistant to 3atm. Trash.

those are obscenely expensive and very beautiful.

youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4ElboiuA

Field watches as specified by every western government most other governments and NATO are not water proof you fucking buffoon.

Yeah but your watch shouldn't develop condensation on the inside of the crystal when it's humid out.

It doesn't. I have never even heard of this happening?

no watches are water *proof* sweetie.

30m water resistance is garbage, and with marathon's cheap case design and known quality control issues; that 30m is even suspect.

I use my watches "in the field" and regularly exceed the comfortable water exposure of a 3atm rated watch.

Sup /wt/, need some advice.
My brothers and I are pooling some money to buy our father a retirement watch.
Since he is retiring, we're thinking of getting him a diver because he likes outdoor activities.
So far we have narrowed down the choices to either a tudor blackbay or a seamaster professional 300m (the basic kind).
I have seen both watches in person and I'm leaning towards the latter.
Thougths on seamaster? Is the movement better than the tudor since it has co-axial escapement?
Originally I wanted to get him a nice used sub or a 36mm explorer 1 but my brother thought a used watch wouldn't make a nice gift.

it does, i have.

Tudor Black Bay 36. Co-Axials a shit. Hell, modern Omega a shit. If he's into divers, he might like the "normal" Black Bay better, but it's bigger, heavier and less versatile, all things I don't personally like.

Didn't expect a luxury timepiece for around 40$ lmao. I just bought another one though, so it's ok.

I don't give a fuck about your bullshit. A field watch is an actual object it has a definition. Militaries and larger scale military organizations have specifications for actual field watches. The marathon watch is a real field watch that meets us government and nato specifications for a field watch. Are there far better watches to wear in combat? OF FUCKING COURSE. Do you not realize that some people may find the modern iteration of a historical watch style issued by the military interesting? You think i would rather by a g-shock for no reason over a field watch? What are any of you fucking idiots even arguing about? No watch is water proof yeah no shit buddy we all know about that distinction made by our legal system but many people still use water proof as a term to describe something that is very water resistant.

Get him microbrand like Obris and be done with it.
If he is outdoors man he wont give a shit about the watch.

>what the fuck did you just...
holy shit. new pasta?

Lighting in this room is shitty but does grey perlon look alright on this?

Yes it looks alright on it, if you want to complete the pedo uncle look

I like it

Thanks user, I'm glad the vibe I was going for rings true.

looks gud

>Paying $520 for an 3ATM water resistant, dogshit machined case, ETA 2801 Standard equipped shitter

>Being this mad your $500+ shitter got called out

Fug... *jap* quartz.
No reed good.

Someday

I do not own it and am only upset because so many times on this board people start insane arguments. Its just a fucking field watch. That is what a field watch is. And now you are responding to that saying am ass-blasted and my shitter got called out? I was just trying to fucking explain what a field watch is. Also your samefagging is too obvious. Both posted around the same time, same reaction image folder apparently. and same content.

You sound upset user

whats that thing on the left?

Looks like a Seiko spirit scve007

>Magnetic Resist

Ugh, why on the dial? Almost as bad as Orient putting "Water Resist" in cursive on the Esteem.

What chink shitter is this? I would like to know at least the brand if possible.

Thats a WatchUSeek brand watch. Like the forum. Edition commissioned by WUS members.

They also made a moonphase.

I suppose it was a complete ripoff right?

Underrated.

No love for Sporks anymore.

THICCCC

Well, considering you got your name engraved on the back, Sapphire on both sides, and its an automatic with moonphase for less than 150 USD total I'd say no it wasn't a ripoff. You just have to have their logo on it which is a downside.

I see. Nice to know.

>this disgusting Vostok

Judging by the thiccness, it's probably a rebadged Parnis/Seagull with an ST25.

LOL this is fucking beautiful. thank you for this. Honestly the dumbest shit ive read in a while.
Im sad i missed this happening.

My SARG still makes my rotation at least twice a week.

The second Cosmotron arrived from Animeistan, and it's fucking amazing. I think out of the three I ordered this one will be the keeper.

Also it came with the original signed buckle with the Cosmotron logo.

30m water resistant is water resistant to 30 meters. That is exactly adequate for swimming and light diving. This is how ISO defines watch ratings in modern times.

can you explain why its so dumb?

oh my.

Is this bait? This has got to be bait, right?