Why is English so one of a kind among European languages?

Why is English so one of a kind among European languages?

Other urls found in this thread:

taalunieversum.org/inhoud/feiten-en-cijfers#hoeveelwoorden
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Language_Union
spatiegebruik.nl/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_regulators
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dumbshit

even though they will not tell you england was multi-culture before and after the norman conquest, loads of different people living together means conjugations were a source of confusion and grammar became positionally relevant for clarity

A simplistic, easy to learn language is a reflection of its people.

Most european countries prefer conjugations and declensions instead of talking like cave man
>Me you like

because it's the frankenstein's monster of european languages

it's easy to learn for you because american culture is a behemoth.

taking pride in having a convoluted language is the height of autism. Like the chinese should be proud of their retarded heiroglyphs. And even then our retarded spelling should put us in the 'complicated language therefore smart' camp.

>easy to learn language is a reflection of its people
yet anglos are the most powerful people currently alive even after England lost its massive empire, mean while slovenia is doing what exactly..?

really makes you think

>All these Anglophobes

Success breeds jealousy

>taking pride in having a convoluted language is the height of autism
How is that autism? Language is how express outselves, communicate. Complex languages allow people to express themselves in complex ways, in turn influencing complex ideas. If you want to be a simpleton, you might as well ditch english and speak in binary

I learned it in kindergarten by doing exercises from this one book. No excuse will change the fact that it's easy to learn.
Taking pride in having a simple language is the height of retardation desu

Anglos are the most cucked people alive if you don't count your own ethnic dumping ground of a country.
Really makes you think.

complication of language does not come from the complexity in language per se

because england had the most colonies in the world

Because we are so one of a kind. It's why only we could make successful countries.

> Language is how express outselves, communicate.

And therefore having a byzantine, inscrutable language is a bad thing.
English has by far the most extensive vocabulary in the world, and some pretty good scientists and poets, the 'simple' language didn't hold them back.

If we were in the 18th century we'd probably say how easy french was to learn. Because french culture and language was everywhere.

I don't understand the question.

>requiring more clauses/cases/grammar etc to express the same idea 'influences complex ideas'
lol

You'd be hardpressed to find monolingual scientists and poets. All the way up until 19 century it was a usual custom for artists and men of science to gain proficiency in greek and latin, beyond their native language which at the time wasn't english

>Complex languages allow people to express themselves in complex ways,
That doesn't at all follow. As you might have noticed most scientific papers are written in English. The most prestigious universities are taught in English. English is more than capable of transmitting complex ideas.

There is virtually no correlation between the complexity of any particular language and its ability to convey complex ideas. Look at mathematics, at its core its very simplistic yet it's capable of conveying the most complex ideas ever thought up by man. Your "theory" is hogwash and noting more than a defense mechanism.

nowadays they have to concentrate on other things
being linguistically capable is no longer necessary, it is frivolous

>I am a retard so any language I don't understand (i.e. any other language) is a bad language
wew

In the Netherlands every relevant person needs to be able to speak at least German and English. Although French is a plus.

Although Dutch speakers tend to wing German. They haven't actually mastered the language. They just improvise with basic knowledge.

No baka desu gaijin

20% of our population gets Greek and/or Latin in school. But only the smart kids who go to high school in preparation for a master degree.

People who do high school in preparation for a bachelor degree or lower don't get it.

When did I ever say or imply that you bellend? I just said english isn't a simplistic language. And having a language be difficult to learn isn't something to boast about. Korean is more logical than chinese, that doesn't mean the koreans are a lesser people.

You did write
>And therefore having a byzantine, inscrutable language is a bad thing.

Golly you sure are angry.

>English has by far the most extensive vocabulary in the world
>this is what anglos actually believe

It's true

Any language that isn't English is a bad language. You clearly agree since you are speaking it now and not what ever they speak wherever your flag is from.

It's not.

If I look at Dutch we have:
a. Way more loanwords in active use. We can often say things using pure Dutch, but also using English, German, French and sometimes even Hebrew loanwords.
b. Compound words. We basically have an infinite amount of words.
And I'm sure there are other languages like ours.

I often have to write English pieces for work. And often I really feel like I'm repeating myself due to the limited number of synonyms in English.

Is a joke but basically it's about synonyms
English has more conversational synonyms in practical usage than most but the amount of vocabulary is not really the point

>60% latin rootwords
That doesn't count, baka

Kept getting invaded and the invaders would bring their language along.

Cow meat is called beef because the poor english farmer would raise the cow but the rich French nobel would eat it.

English have over 1 million words, Dutch has 400,000

>in active use

Not really, I'm pretty chill. I speak several languages, I can use my language around foreigners and they don't understand me,... All in all, I like the situation.

>Het aantal Nederlandse woorden is onbeperkt, want je kunt met de bestaande grondwoorden steeds nieuwe samenstellingen en afleidingen maken.
The amount of words in Dutch is unlimited, because you can make new words from base words.

>Cornelis Kruyskamp, hoofdredacteur van de dikke Van Dale van 1950 tot 1976, schreef in het voorwoord tot de tiende druk dat er volgens hem in alle tijden 2 tot 5 miljoen Nederlandstalige woorden gebruikt zijn.
According to the chief editor of the Dutch dictionary Dutch has 2 to 5 million words in common use at all times.

>De Taaldatabank van het INL is een computer waarin alle woorden en woordvormen (lezen: lees, leest, las, lazen...) worden opgeslagen van de 12de tot en met de 21ste eeuw. Die bevat al meer dan 60 miljoen woorden.
In the language databank with all words used in history and variants has 60 million words so far.

taalunieversum.org/inhoud/feiten-en-cijfers#hoeveelwoorden

>because you can make new words from base words.
The base words are the information and all that count. Combining words doesn't make a new word, bigstrong doesn't give new information compared to 'big and strong'.

>60 million words so far.
bullshit, artificially inflated by 'bigstrong' words.

That's the website of the Dutch language union that regulates the language.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Language_Union

As long as you post your shitpost in English you know I am right.

You're a bit of a bitch if you don't insult them to their face 2bh.

>implying I don't
An old trick was to walk up to a foreigners, point at your wrist like you're asking for the time, but actually cursing at him. It gets a bit harder with other Slavs, though.

You have no idea how compound words work, do you. We invent new words on the fly. Examples of new words from the last few years are:

Tastebalance. Ghostinvoice. Wildpicking. Flexisalary. Zikafever. Mangementobesity. Burglarrisk. Gatejumper.

Those words have real meaning. And everyone understands what they mean.

*managementobesity

America won a cultural victory in like 1960.

you do know that shit like @, A1, A2, A3 etc counts as words in new oxford dicitonary right? disregard that, international terms and different made up shit, voila, english has about as many words as other major languages

>Those words have real meaning.

so does bigstrong m8,

'wedding crasher' - get rid of the space and now we have a new word! english has 10 billion words now!

There is a difference is meaning. For example:

wildpicking = you are picking in the wild
wild picking = you are picking in a wild fashion or you are picking wild (animals)

For an English speaker:
Picking wildly, picking wild and picking in the wild (you'd need four words).

>his poor vocabulary and inability to inflect impede his English capabilities.

>literally does the linguistic equivalent of MUH DICK
We've been over this, user, language vocabulary size has real no bearing on its complexity since nobody can possibly know and use all of them. You can expect a genius writer to edge on 100 000 words, majority of people can recognize up for 10 000 and actually use only 10% of that in their everyday lives

You sure told me.

lol, a new word in 2015:

migrantenhinder = migrant nuisance / nuisance you experience from migrants

Neat, Swedish works exactly the same. Do you have a word for when people mistakenly put a space between two words where there should be one? We call it 'särskrivning' (sär(a) (to part) + skrivning (writing)) and it's a fairly common mistake which sometimes have rather comical outcomes lite writing "brunhårig sjuksköterska" as "brun hårig sjuk sköterska" turns it from a brown haired nurse to a brown hairy sick nurse. Or ironic outcomes like writing "rökfritt" as "rök fritt" turning it from "no smoking" to "smoke freely", the exact opposite.

I keep seeing zero articles in front of singular countable nouns and the article "a" in front of uncountable ones. Too lazy to look for examples, but I've been reading Dune a while ago and that shit popped at me on every page. Somebody explain it to me. Was Frank Herbert illiterate?

Isn't a bachelor required to do a master in holland?

No. But we have a website where you report people and places who do it wrong. The Platform (for) Signaling Incorrect Spaceusage.

spatiegebruik.nl/

That's really beta insulting someone in a language they can't understand.

could be technojargon, need examples

>(you'd need four words).

four words that exist and can explain the phenomenon. So english can contain complexities in meaning. We just don't arbitrarily jam words together and call it a new thing.

If you finish high school you can get a degree to study at a university, a university of applied sciences or to follow up with some vocational education.

University = Theoretical = Bachelor + master in 4 years
University for applied sciences = Practical use of theoretical information = Bachelor
Vocational education = working with your hands = no title

>english speaker calling other language arbitrary

Yeah, yeah. You don't need new words because you can explain it all while waving your hands wildly and pointing at the object.

English speaker: ooga booga house where you can ooh ooh aah aah buy fruit to eat eek eek

Dutch speaker: Do you mean a supermarket?

It's just a silly prank. When the foreigners are dark however...

kek literally half of my experiences with english tourists while working at the shop
>standing behind the bread counter sellimg muh bread
>english person comes up
>says "4 please" while repeatedly poking the window and pointing at the bread
and also
>they ask me where I can find a particular item
>I don't know the particular item they're looking for because fucking hell I can't know everything in existence
>"I'm sorry I don't know what that is"
>they keep repeating the name of the thing louder each time

>do you like my new hat? it's redblue
>oh you mean purple?
>no it's much more complex than that, because we combined two words, you anglos couldn't possibly understand! we have red, and blue and purple and redblue! so we have 4 words for your 1!!

enjoy your caveman speak with 400,000 gutteral phlem barks.
We'll enjoy our cool million quite nicely, and smashups like 'brexit' and 'brangelina' will be relegated to the gutter press where they belong.

We have that as well. The only unique feature of English is it's lack of unique features.

You're not exactly proving me wrong.

I've never had any problems speaking English or writing in it.

Also the fact that it has the largest vocabulary, that's pretty unique. Or in the dutch style- prettyunique, it's a new word because it means sort of unique, not beautiful and unique as you might expect. It doesn't explore any new ideas, it just lazily combines two words for no real reason, but it's a new word sort of and I'll add it to the list.

>vocabulary size has real no bearing

>he still doesn't understand the difference between adjectives and compound words
No wonder English speakers have such trouble understanding languages, including their own.

The sun never sets on the British Empire.

How much of an advantage does a native English speaker here on Sup Forums even have? Even offline, I'm sure there are many native speakers that would be far behind in terms of vocabulary.

probably not much, but your accent probably sounds very shitty in person

you're pretty retarded for ignoring context

I won't claim I sound like a native speaker but I don't have a strong accent.

what you lads talking about english is simple and easy and we don't have weird accents and stuff

feels good that I can go anywhere and have atleast a few people know my language

>talks about languages, gives up
>attacks user directly instead

what's the point your argument was baseless in the first place

Are you his brother-in-law?

Maybe you shouldn't have replied to me, then.

brotherinlaw in dutch fashion, new word, add it to the list.

>not having an actual word for brother-in-law
wew

English speakers were chosen by God to lead humanity. We, and consequently our language, are simply genetically superior.

>mocking english for having compound words

lol, full circle

We use compound words as well but that's just lazy.

schoonbroer

Its a translation of the French beau-frère.

Everyone is speaking MY language.

>His language has a regulatory language academy
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_regulators

>The Académie française (French pronunciation: [akademi fʁɑ̃ˈsɛz]), known in English as the French Academy, is the pre-eminent French council for matters pertaining to the French language.

>40 members known as les immortels (the immortals)

>the immortals

You can't make this shit up.

>his doesn't
but ey nugga, if you dont give a fuck that your language gon be spoken and written like dis in a couple years i dont give a heck, aint mah problem

Most likely because English retains simple roots and constructs that are easier to grasp than say Spanishs' 18 verb tenses (versus Englishes 7 tenses) while also retaining the characteristics of the languages that helped form it, such as French and their descriptive vocabulary.
English is the perfect German-Roman hybrid language

>being such illiterate children that you need pompous old men to tell you how to speak
Not surprising coming from a proto-favelado

are you stupid nigger? those comittees exist so shit like "ebonics" doesn't become part of the official language

>his country is only 63% white(including hispanics and north africans)

It's the world's lingua franca.
But I don't understand the question. Yellow monkey.