>error, you require permissions from TrustedInstaller to continue
>take ownership for files
>give myself full control
>try to delete file
>error, you require permissions from to continue
>mfw Windows literally holds your files and diskspace hostage
Why is this allowed?

I never understood permissions in Windows

That means either the system is using those files or you have a virus - more likely the latter. Run a malware scan using something like MalwareBytes.

Are you really that dumb? You would rather complain than fix your issue lol

just trust the installer bro

I don't think anyone does

>delete folder with a bunch of subfolders
>you need admin permissions
>grant admin permissions
>couldn't delete files
>going deeper into the folder tree and deleting each folder or file manually works

It's not a virus nor system files.
Well actually it is system files from an extracted installation .iso on which I was running a batch job that I had to terminate so it was just left like that unfinished and I need to get rid of all that trash

Literally has never happened to me - probably never happened to anyone.

Now if you want to talk about bs

>install Lubuntu because Unity is ass
>want to install latest Intel Drivers
>Intels Official Utility only works on 17.04 and below
>Installs steam so I can stream my games from my Windows PC
>missing 32bit library
>instead of installing the missing libraries it just complains and crashes
>forgot to mention that steam wouldn't even launch when first installed because of missing libraries, wouldn't even throw error message
>spend 20 minutes looking for answers
>the guy who posted a simple STEAMRUNTIME = 0 steam command isn't chosen as answer, but instead some ass who posted a giant script
>the small command works
>mfw i forgot to mention that this issue is on every single 64 bit version of linux that steam can be installed on
>mfw you have to run "sudo apt-get update" on a fresh install just to access the "addtional drivers" page or else it's just blank
>mfw the file picker wont show thumbnails for images, have to click on each photo to see what it is
>mfw attempting to Uninstall WINE literally fucks Ubuntu/Lubuntu so bad that you need to reinstall the DE that you're using
So... this is the power of Loonix...

>probably never happened to anyone.
happened to me plenty of times, no joke

>Literally has never happened to me
This has happened to me ever since windows 7 started existing, across dozens of installations.

>started a recursive takeown 15 minutes ago
>it's still going
holy shit microsoft it's just 300k files, what the fuck is taking so long?

permissions exist in windows, and elsewhere, so things can't be executed unless they were done so very deliberately
the reason there's one, two, three layers of needing to be a more elevated user to do something is so you can't have a stupid script that executed out of your shitty image viewer when reading a compromised file wreak havoc on your system

operating systems building user account systems around "the principles of least privilege" has made things ridiculously more secure than they used to be

holy shit it's still rising, can't I just boot to linux and delete this shit?

It has a secret super user that does whatever the fuck it wants but pretends to be you. It pisses me the fuck off. I love being controlled by my computer

send help

Arch linux with the retina display does not have this issue

should I just nuke the drive, it's still fucking rising

>insert usb stick
>read only
>do it again
>permission to read/write

restart the computer

>Software being shit is Linux's fault
I TROID TO INTALL CUNDY CRASH AND GOT VEERUS PLZ HELP WINDOW VER BAD HAT VINDOW

I did, , there's just so many fucking leftover files there.
I think I had like 11 windows installations mounted and was removing shit from them when I had to cancel it , so now I'm stuck with this shit

>LXDE
>running abandonware

did you try shift+delete?

>accidentally use the wrong command line arguments in a program in Ubuntu
>wipes my 2tb external without blinking
a-at least i had complete control of my system

yes, it goes through it real quick and most of it is still owned by TrustedInstaller so it refuses to delete it
>mfw the recursive takeown is still running

install gentoo

>0 items remaining

administrators of the system can change ownership of any object or container. just because you take ownership doesn't mean you can do anything with the data, you then have to modify the acl's to allow you to.

> in elevated powershell
> $file = ( gi ).fullname

take ownership, then grant full control
takeown /f $file
icacls $file /grant $user:f

now delete with one of the following
del $file
-or-
rm $file -force

if you're trying to do this with a directory the commands will be a little different but the idea is the same, in an elevated shell (as a local administrator), takeown the directory, grant yourself full control of the directory, make sure you add allow inheritance so that your control propagates down the tree, then recursively remove the data.

google powershell, takeown, icacls, acl's, etc.
windows will lock files that it's using so it could very well be that a service is using the file, if you're trying to delete a file that's locked you're probably a moron.

I thought I was the only one. It makes no sense

as mentioned in
you have to delete recursively which means for every container you hit, enter the container, for every object you see, remove it. this is why in linux you have to use the -r option with rm. this is why with windows you have to use the -recursive option with remove-item. del is just an old as fuck, basic, and reliable example that doesn't require this option.

I have come across some directories in appdata which require removal using del because newer utilities trip on character and depth limits or some shit like that.

It's over for me, this shit is corrupted beyond belief

lol that's a different kind of problem

looks like when my flash drive bricked, try formatting or dding zeroes.

>I/O error
Yeah, your disk is fucked. If you care about the data, use ddrescue to make an image as much of the raw device as you can. You can try dd'ing /dev/zero over the whole drive and reformatting, but it's quite likely it's just dead.

It's happened to me

>boot from linux live cd
>delete literally anything with ease

Just gonna say, I've had it happen to me plenty of times in windows.

kek
Literally had this problem this week. Had to go inside each folder and delete the files inside, then magically I could delete the folder itself.

>0 items remaining
shouldn't be dead though, I'm guessing ntfs just corrupted on this part and I should reformat the whole thing
god damn and all my torrents and music are here, this is gonna take forever

lel Spatry the crackhead

once you've taken ownership, give yourself full control and then tick the replace permissions on child objects box. Once this is done start genocidicng files like it's auchwitz.

I've done it anons
Used ntfsfix on the drive from linux and ran chkdsk just in case, checked permissions one more time and it werks
it's been fun

you're probably retarded

what command was this?

I miss him

Tip: Although it doesn't solve the problem with permissions, FastCopy has a context menu option to delete things that does a fine job at that in folders with thousands of files. It skips the delete option from the Explorer process and uses a cmd command.

I don't either... I have no problem with permissions on Linux or anything else. If you are super user with full privileges in Linux then everything is fine. On Windows on the other hand it is not

I'm most definitely retarded. It was the badblocks command. -wsv wipes your drive, -sv doesn't

If you run the windows 10 linux subsystem as admin you can rm -fr anything

Maybe a fucked up compatibility feature, related to file routes.