/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/install-gentoo
forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-does-not-start-automatically/33617/5
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio
ubuntusatanic.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for GNU/Linus Torvalds.

Need an opinion on Ubuntu Budgie GNU/Linux(s) TorvaldsTallman

I want to track a folder that contains 100TB worth of media(music,videos,images) that is being shared with an apartment complex.
I need a way to find out what is popular and what is not, so i can remove the unused data and replace it with things people are requesting.
I want to have a tally of how many times the folder/file was accessed and have this be displayed in a txt file or a database or something along with the last time accessed for the parent folders and the files

Something similar to this
Folder01/ 500 Oct 31 2100
Movie.mp4 252 Oct 31 2100
Video.mp4 100 Oct 21 2000
---
Folder02/ 50 Sep 10 1800
Video2.mp4 10 Sept 1 1200
Movie2.mp4 1 Aug 2 1200

Just write something up in python to parse your apache logs

Anyone here have any hack about ways to get AMD GPUs working? I have a 980 I can't get working, but my 660ti (Nvidia) works just fine.

Alright this is fucking pissing me off.

Trying to reinstall manjaro KDE and halfway through the install, this pops up and borks the whole process.

Wat do.

It's not unique to memejaro; googling the error reveals people got it on memebuntu as well as other distros.

I'm not a programmer.

you didn't say anything about how those files are being accessed-- that is what you need to look into tracking

Opinions pertaining to what? What do you expect from a DE?

Try a dry run to see what the real problem is:

mkinitcpio -p kernel -v

dlna server for legacy devices and plex for everything else

Python is hella easy for this sort of thing, you don't have to be a programmer. You'd be using it like a slightly more powerful bash script. There doesn't appear to be a ready-made solution for this specific case.

By dry run I'm assuming you mean just from the terminal? I ctrl+alt+f2'd over to tty2 in the live USB and ran that, and got
/usr/bin/mkinitcpio: line 271: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel.preset: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Failed to load preset: '/etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel.preset'

???

You dont type "kernel" you type the kernel version you want to install that you aleady installed with pacman

kek

Does hurd work yet?

O. Yeah I'll take my 30 lashes for that. Forgive my ineptitude.

Replacing "kernel" with "linux49" (I'm pretty sure that's what comes with all manjaro builds):
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux49.preset: 'default'
-> -v -k /boot/vmlinuz-4.9-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img
[ 2433.874408] SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt
[ 2433.874479] SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x11dde6
^ (the last 2 lines repeat like 4 times, then:)
hexdump: /boot/vmlinuz-4.9-x86_64: Input/output error

And then I think it does the same thing for the fallback .img and says invalid kernel specified.

Is it just a corrupt USB problem? I swear both my machines are finicky as fuck with live USB's so that would make sense if that's the case. I used Rufus on windows to write the .iso originally.

Define "work"

Can I use it to shitpost and write email?

Reinstall the kernel then try mkinitcpio again

Yes. As long as you have the right hardware.

It's a shame that it seems like it will never be finished, I lust for a fully GNU system.

anyone who uses the terminal in linux is pretty stupid considering that most of its commands have solid stable gui equivalents these days

(not true, by the way)

Anyone who can type decently well can execute commands quicker through the terminal

How do different Operating Systems/Hard Drives/Partitions interact with eachother?

I want to get into Linux and use it as my main OS but I also want to keep a windows install on another hardrive or partition so I can use things that aren't available on Linux. Will Windows be able to read and/or write to my Linux harddrive?

GNU+Linux*

*GNU/Linux

This. I really prefer URxvt to tty1.

Yes. Read the arch wiki article.

Yes thank you, I have recently watched a lot of RMS stuff lately and I should have said that. Even if it is considered a joke by most people.

Seconded. Terminal emulators are far superior to terminals in themselves. Framebuffer elitists need to get their head out of their ass.

May the freedoms be with you, my child.

How can I have a passworded hdd and still have it accessed by windows?

It's not a joke. No one is ever joking when they say GNU/Linux. You're just projecting your expectations onto them because Microsoft puts estrogen in that water to make your penis turn feminine.

Install GuixSD

install this *unzips*

You mean encrypted? And presumably in a luks container? Yes. You could easily do this on WSL, but I suspect that there's probably a Windows-native solution to this.

I don't like your unwashed vag.

Sorry, I would but I don't have a floppy port

I don't have winzip installed, can you send me a tar.gz?

I've got another set of "tar balls" that you can unpack, bby ;)

You have 15 millenia in order to tell me why you're not using Fedora
>want to change the hostname from the default
> vim /etc/hostname
>command not found, do you want to install vim?
It's just so /comfy/

I'm sorry, you win, I'm begging you don't touch me!

but seriously a lot of people say it as a joke

cute

forgot pic

Thats not fedora specific, that's zsh, you pleb.

TTYS!!!!!!!

L-lewd!

>cucks shilling this hard
This is a bad example because I already have vim on this system, but this is my laptop when I try to use emacs.
Meanwhile on fedora, emacs results in a list of 3 packages that provide it

Did user put backdoors in this?

>using Sup Forums anything

no

Just install gentoo, anyone who is literate can do it

I'm not sure how I'd do that on a live USB. I'm a brainlet sorry.

However I did use a different USB; used the 17.0.6 build again since I was reverting to 17.0.4 to see if that was the problem; and now it seems to be safely installed but I'm encountering the same problem that prompted me to wipe & redo in the first place.

Maybe a long shot, but has anyone seen this error:
amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xffff

upon startup?

It just hangs there displaying that and won't get to the DE at all. Google says mostly memebuntu users get it, but only for a second before it boots to the DE normally, so seemingly harmless.

Not for me. It's not letting me past this and happens 9/10 times I try to boot into the OS (the last 10% of the time, it doesn't happen and everything boots fine). Wtf m8s. Not a hardware problem with my graphics card is it?

Try adding nomodeset to your kernel command line. Do you know how to do that?

Lol nope. Does that help solve the former problem or the invalid PCI ROM header signature problem?

Do you need the AMD drivers for any reason?
If not just use the open source variant.

The pci rom problem. If you're using grub, instead of pressing enter to boot, press e. It will bring up a simple editor to edit your kernel command line. Add nomodeset and continue booting. If that fixes it, you can add it permanently later. There a good number of tutorials on how to do this, just look up "grub edit kernel command line"

Gotcha. Thanks man, I'm looking into it now - buuuuuut I just booted with nomodeset and instead now got:
[drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.

I swear this shit makes me want to go back to fucking windows and not even bother anymore. Seriously why.

Manjaro comes out of the box with the free drivers. Actually AMDGPU-PRO drivers aren't even supported in Arch at all.

Gentoo is a meme.
>Install Gentoo is a phrase used on Sup Forums’s Sup Forums board much like delete system 32. When one asks a question about windows or has computer related problems people will respond with “Install Gentoo.”, telling the troubled user this will solve all their problems. (Ex. How do I keep my iphone from running out of battery so quickly? A: Install Gentoo) knowyourmeme.com/memes/install-gentoo

Linux*

>Actually AMDGPU-PRO drivers aren't even supported in Arch at all
GPU manufacturers don't really support rolling releases.

nice meme

I'm going to build a pc for a friend and to save money I'm going to install some flavor of ubuntu. What version doesn't have the amazon nonsense?

Yeah my bad, I forgot proprietary amd drivers automatically enable nomodeset. Try adding amdgpu to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
See forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-does-not-start-automatically/33617/5 for the problem and wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio for more info on adding hooks

Any version which isn't vanilla Ubuntu (which comes with Unity).

What is the best terminal font?

What is the best desktop wallpaper?

comic sans

What is the best GNU distribution?

everytime I open any graphic program I get this black background

can I fix it? or it's one of those famous linux features™?

I can't tell if you are baiting or if you're actually that new. If your baiting then you are a master troll. If you are new, then you need to realize that Gentoo is an actual distro and is really good.

Never seen that before. i3?

I'm a bash user, but I see a lot of people use zsh. What exactly is the difference between the two?

what is the most kvlt distro for NBBMN?

>zsh
kill yourselves, retards

Is Pure OS a good entry level distro to someone wanting to leave w10?

i5 2500k
970 gtx
8gb ram

Please give reasons

>"""powerline"""
catapult yourself into the sun

why don't you try it and find out

No, it's a downstream distro and there's no reason to use it over more established distros.

>Less support
>Fewer maintainers
>Smaller repos (assuming they have their own repos at all)
>Small tweaks that may make troubleshooting advice not applicable

Choose one: Debian, Fedora, Arch, Gentoo.

ubuntusatanic.org

>downstream distro
?

Means it's based off a preexisting distro and simply applies their own changes. There are very few downstream distros worth using, maybe Antergos if you want an installer for Arch but that's about it. They are a bad idea for the reasons above

That's a Linux feature.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

Which distro is it based off?

CRUX

PureOS is based off Debian.

I wouldn't use PureOS since it's not really a well established distro
this is probably the second time I heard of it, the first being also this year

if you want freedom, try trisquel (ubuntu without nonfree software)

>Antergos
>worth using
Arch itself is garbage, not to mention it's forks

PureOS is from the Purism people.

Trisquel & co. supports like 5 hardware models, all of which are old as dirt. No normie will be able to get them to work.

And please, do elaborate on exactly how Arch is garbage. What would you recommend, glorious user of the Correct Distro?

What is currently the best distro?
Which do you recommend?

Ubuntu.

Why?

>werks
>meme can be a good thing = lots of support
>werks

GNU GuixSD GNU/GNU Linux-libre

>werks
Please leave this board forever.

>Trisquel & co. supports like 5 hardware models, all of which are old as dirt
it supports whatever the deblobbed kernel inside it supports
I don't know how recent it is, but if his hardware is not too new, it should be supported

>And please, do elaborate on exactly how Arch is garbage.
Arch is one example of an upstream distro that's as pointless as any other downstream distro, even more so
it was almost fine before it adopted shitstemd and completely defeated it's purpose
Void is where it's at now, if you want a "minimal" binary distro
Devuan is also fine if you don't mind apt
Arch users may as well use Fedora netinst (which may be even less bloated, since the devs probably split packages and don't include countless useless development libraries)

>What would you recommend, glorious user of the Correct Distro?
gentoo, of course

Unironically Gentoo. Allows maximum customization and let's you have a truly systemd-free experience.

Nope, there is practically zero modern hardware that works with a deblobbed kernel. It's a pain in the ass even for a veteran, forget about convincing normies.

And whatever you think Arch's purpose is such that it was destroyed by systemd, you're wrong. Arch is the strongest distro with all of:
>rolling release
>binary packages
>simple depends-on required-by package management scheme, with optional dependencies

All of which has nothing to do with systemd. Not to mention you are still welcome to use any init system you so desire, there are quite a few available in the AUR.