Apple asks Verizon, Sprint to accelerate CDMA shutdown

in the latest move in its squabble with Qualcomm

Recap:
- Apple cooperated with U.S./EU/S. Korea/Japan investigation about Qualcomm's anticompetitive practices
- Qualcomm very displeased, stops paying Apple rebate it was paying to make them not use competitor modem (the rebate was one of the targets of the government investigations)
- Apple says Qualcomm is overcharging for essential communication standard patent licenses, which Qualcomm is obligated to license at fair market rate because due to the agreements with the international telecom standards bodies
- Qualcomm threatens to sue
- Apple and Apple's suppliers stop laying loyalties to Qualcomm
- Apple starts using Intel LTE modems in addition to Qualcomm's
- Qualcomm withholds design tools for new LTE modem parts, locking Apple out of access to new parts
- Apple can't drop Qualcomm modems entirely because only Qualcomm modems have CDMA
- Apple is now asking Verizon and Sprint to drop CDMA and go full LTE-Voice or risk not being able to get next year's iPhone on time

i've never understood why qualcomm has such a huge monopoly. why doesn't intel have CDMA?

>CDMA kill
>LTE Voice-only mode enabled
Does this mean Verizon and Sprint won't be able to force people to buy phones from their stores anymore?

CDMA is a standard wholly owned by Qualcomm while LTE is a mix of patents owned by Nokia, Samsung, Ericsson, former Nortel, NTT, Qualcomm, Intel, and others.

Qualcomm can charge whatever the fuck it wants to CDMA licensees (since it's not held to FRAND clause by a standardization body), making it extremely expensive and completely uneconomical for licensees to manufacture CDMA modems.

Yeah just drop CDMA for next years iPhone, doesn't matter your entire customer base will now have useless bricks. Still, Verizon and friends are outliers and should move away from CDMA anyway.

meant to reply to

Apple is just threatening Qualcomm for withholding design and test tools.

>we can't get new iPhone CDMA models ready because no test tools from Qualcomm
>Verizon pls enable LTE-Voice only mode now

iToddlers BTFO

>Qualcomm withholds design tools for new LTE modem parts, locking Apple out of access to new parts
Lel qualcomm out "apples" apple, so apple decided to "apple" verizon, and sprint.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. Standards bodies that promulgate patent-restricted standards that prohibit free software typically have a policy of obtaining patent licenses that require a fixed fee per copy of a conforming program. They often refer to such licenses by the term “RAND,” which stands for “reasonable and non-discriminatory.”

That term whitewashes a class of patent licenses that are normally neither reasonable nor nondiscriminatory. It is true that these licenses do not discriminate against any specific person, but they do discriminate against the free software community, and that makes them unreasonable. Thus, half of the term “RAND” is deceptive and the other half is prejudiced.

Standards bodies should recognize that these licenses are discriminatory, and drop the use of the term “reasonable and non-discriminatory” or “RAND” to describe them. Until they do so, writers who do not wish to join in the whitewashing would do well to reject that term. To accept and use it merely because patent-wielding companies have made it widespread is to let those companies dictate the views you express.

We suggest the term “uniform fee only,” or “UFO” for short, as a replacement. It is accurate because the only condition in these licenses is a uniform royalty fee.

Do you remember everything Stallman ever wrote?

patents

Good. Fuck CDMA, Verizon, and Sprint.

This is no less true now than the day it was written. "RAND" is really poorly defined by these standards bodies, hence Qualcomm.

>tfw the greed of apple is doing a favor not only to his customers but to every customer

CDMA is cancer

PRAISE THE INVISIBLE HAND

Good, fuck Qualcomm.
>mfw both the FCC and Apple hate them
>mfw Apple can literally control whether a carrier keeps a huge chunk of its users if they support Qualcomm by having all the iPhone users switch to a different carrier

Verizon and Sprint are still using CDMA beyond legacy support for dumbphones? Why?

>Apple
>actually good news
Holy shit. What timeline am I living in?

Because it gives them a technical reason to deny service to BYOD phones, forcing people to purchase locked phones from their stores at inflates prices.

But you can still BYOD so long as its CDMA. Which is why shit like Page Plus Cellular exists.

Reminder that Steve Jobs would not approve of this.

He would just buy out Qualcomm instead.

Why would he buy out antiquated tech that should have been regulated out of existence (and was, everywhere but the US) over a decade ago?

wtf i love apple now

Apple wouldn't have been forced into doing something positive for consumers had Qualcomm not gone full retard and deactivated modem design verification tools installed at Apple labs.

Americans should support the death of CDMA2000, it shouldn't have been allowed to become a standard in the first place.

There's good reason why nobody else fell for that scam.

This is also a US thing. I never bought a phone from a carrier and I never will, why would I?

I'm American, and have been waiting for CDMA to die since the Razr flip phone.

>USA fell for CDMA meme lmeo

Kinda surprise with this, my country already shutdown cdma, some get a new simcard (lte and 3g/4g) to switch for a new com provider.

I can't say I blame Qualcomm.

They are a company holding patents that generates them income and they don't want to lose that income. No company would want to lose the money they get from patents.

Every single company, including Apple, will fight tooth and nail over patents they hold.

US of A should adopt GSM
and metric units

T-Mobile USA and AT&T both already use GSM stack (GSM->GPRS->EDGE->UMTS->HSPA->LTE).

>and metric units
>says someone from a country that doesn't have their flag on the moon

because the alternative is intel modems
which they are known to be like nvidia tegra chips
absolutely dog shit tier
cdma has literally no competition and probably they wont even touch cdma considering that the majority of the market place has cdma on android

> the technology used to get on the moon uses metric system

Intel modems are fine.

Qualcomm will be hit very badly when FTC rules on the subject of whether Qualcomm can continue to use 25-year old agreement that covered flip-phone chips to ban Samsung from selling LTE modems to other companies (China, Taiwan, Japan, and E.U. have all ruled Qualcomm can't do this and U.S. FTC is expected to be the same).

No you can't. I purchased a 100% compatible unlocked Sprint phone. Sprint refused to activate it, and lied to the FCC in my informal FCC complaint.

fine
intel goes up to 450mbps and in reality it tanks at 380 due to thermal throttling
quallcomm goes up to 600 and tanks at 550

intel chips are notoriously hot everyone knows that thats why i compared them with tegra shit

Anything earlier than UMTS needs to be phased out too since their “security” is a fucking joke.

Apple is overestimating it's power. iphone x = last iphone.