Is there a fucking version of linux that is somewhat stable?

> be me
> hey let's leave botnet 10
> try to install ubuntu
> It doesn't work because muh microcode
> try to install solus
> It doesn't work because I don't know some weird login and password ¿wtf?
> try mint
> it didn't work out of the box just like w10 because apparently nvidia hates linux
> oh ok, let's fix it
> 4 hours latter....
> Having a lot of fun downloading free software in my flaming new os
> Decides to finally go to sleep
> Its taking to long to shutdown
> meh whatever
> procede to disconect the battery on my laptop just like I always do on w10 when it takes too much time to shutdown
> the fucking os bricked itself

Tell me Sup Forums is there a trivial fix to this (already tried the live usb command: sudo fsck /dev/sda1 "fix" and it didn't worked)

Because if the answer is to reinstall the fucking os again then Im better using another distro that is more estable (if such a thing exist) or better yet just fucking using botnet 10 again...

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=245082
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shit this was not the right picture!

sorry this is the real picture

Install gentoo

is that for real or just another "install gentoo" meme?

Would I user ever lie to u

We never joke about installing gentoo

you shouldn't do a hard shutdown like that. its not safe on any OS.

>acer

Ok. I will stop doing that but is there a way to fix this without having to wipe the hard drive again?

Try PureOS

>Install Ubuntu
>It works
>Install Fedora
>It works
>Install openSUSE
>it works - Leap and Tumbleweed both

*shrug*
>nvidia GPU in my laptop btw

>meme
what meme?
would recommend gentoo or arch if newcomer had problem with ubuntu

>Gentoo Linux is a source-based Linux distribution. It has a stigma for being a difficult distribution to use, and is often recommended as a solution to any problem on Sup Forums. After all, if the person asking the question could install Gentoo, they could probably figure out whatever problem they're having in the first place.

It's never just a meme, user.

chromium os
chrome os

are the most stable linux distros

well, did you try running fsck manually like it told you.
also its not an OS error, its probably a drive error. Get a new hard drive

>procede to disconect the battery on my laptop
The fuck is wrong with you, just hold the power button, holy shit.

the more normie-friendly the distro you choose, the less stable it will be. use Debian, Ubuntu is based on it and it's known for its stability.

more like you bricked it

Ubuntu is a botnet holy shit do some research
lookup Canonical

literally install debian but purge systemd

Arch. Not even memeing. I ran a mumble server on arch for my buddies for 3 years, unpatched, no reboots and constantly available 24/7 on a $200 Acer shitbox. Can't beat it if you know what you're doing.

>tfw (((Upgraded))) to mint and I have to reboot it biweekly

Fsck

Sorry but Sup Forums doesn't have an easy fix for being retarded. Show that you accept yourself being retarded by using Arch.

No gentoo is pretty god for newcomers and comes with everything a linux distribution should have, it is pretty easy to setup and you won't be wasting your time setting up and fixing stuff.

If you don't have hardware that is well supported you want to use a distro with non-free drivers. If you decide to install Debian make sure you get the ISO with non-free drivers included. Manjaro is also pretty good and usualky has a lot newer packages so compatibility issues might have been fixed in it already. I think Linux Mint should already come with non-free drivers but if you have problems with Nvidia then maybe it didn't. Don't use Nouveau but the Nvidia's own driver. Bad drivers might make the whole system very unstable.

Literal retard here. He's a retard, ignore him.

>waiting for the computer to shut down

Just walk away, wtf.

>the more normie-friendly the distro you choose, the less stable it will be.
This is incorrect.

Debian or CentOS are stable as a rock. Enjoy your old packages.

disk io problem = failing hdd. not a linux problem. user hardware problem.

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=245082

You should be shot dead in the face and your asshole should be nailed on your mother's forehead with a text on it "my autistic son cant read"

Gentoo is nice but I'd personally recommend netBSD.

Based on your screen, type:
fsck /dev/mapper/mint--vg-root -y

it might not even be the distro, op. what desktop environment are you using? you are probably using a buggy shitty desktop environment like xfce or cinnamon
try fedora(with gnome) or solus with gnome. anything else is buggy shit

try fedora. it's a pretty good distro for beginners and it works on any laptop (unlike these other distros like arch linux, ubuntu, debian, etc which wouldn't boot on my laptop)

I haven't used Linux and so long, I guarantee that it cannot even do 4K 60 frames per second HDR. And that's totally a guess based on the fact that Linux can't do anything correctly in regards to video

> procede to disconect the battery on my laptop just like I always do
Well consider being less of a faggot

I/O errors means the laptop disk is going bad.

What are the specs of the laptop?

If it's a SATA disk I can recommend replacing with an SSD, will improve load times greatly.
If IDE I recommend buying a new laptop, anything that can do SATA.

>be me
>be retarded

Arch or any fork, try parabola.

>picture of laptop
>nvidia hates linux
fucking retard, didn't you check to see if Optimus graphics work with linux?
They don't, and probably never will
you could use the open source drivers, but they are as bad as just using the intel graphics
you could try bumblebee, but it is still as bad as the intel graphics
you could try the proprietary drivers, but you need to configure Nvidia Prime Sync, which doesn't go above 30 fps, and the drivers don't dynamically switch with the intel graphics, so your laptop will quickly become a space heater
just go back to the botnet 10, or, if you really want to split the baby, go back to botnet 7

This is the literal state of neo-Sup Forums in year 2017. Those are the kind of people I """discuss""" technology with.

Lmao, are you for real?

Install Slackware.

Gentoo is the only distro nowadays that's been stable for me. It's a pain to install it but after that it's pretty much smooth sailing. I would recommend going with clover since it has a binhost setup, meaning you need to compile less stuff. I haven't used clover myself though, I typically install from funtoo and then set the repos to just gentoo (I also found that funtoo tools are shit and unstable; but the community was infinitely better than gentoo's as well as being very knowledgeable about the topics they respond to unlike the gentoo folks).

>never lets his computer shut down properly

>complains that the hard disk is failing

Tech illiterates like yourself belong on >>>/reddit/

>Have double digit iq
>Try to use linux anyway
>Destroy drive by pulling out the battery during shutdown repeatedly
>Blame linux

>It doesn't work because muh microcode
what does that mean?

Try something with XFCE. Solid as a rock

>phoneposter fucks up simple task

Who else isn't surprised?

I'm not surprised.

> Doesn't let the computer shut down correctly, instead pulls battery
> Start up computer next day
> Surprise! Something is wrong with the filesystem because you didn't let it shut down correctly
> Tells you TWICE in the error message to run fsck to fix it
> Hurr durr linux is unstable

No the only thing unstable here is you and the way you manhandle your electronics like a fucking gorilla.
Just buy a fucking Macbook or something instead. At least then you can't rip out the battery like a monkey, and can go ask Apple geniuses instead of us if you manage to fuck it up still.

>because apparently nvidia hates linux
Linux Mint has an easy way to install nvidia drivers

run linux on hardware that works out of the box, you can't buy a Windows 10 machine and be guaranteed that it is also compatible with Linux

>you can't buy a Windows 10 machine and be guaranteed that it is also compatible with Linux
yes you can... Linux has better hardware compatibility than Windows 10

Linux-libre-4.14 is pretty stable

>there are people who think xfeces solve all their problems

Literally this. LOL

>Is there a fucking version of linux that is somewhat stable?

No.

>wipe everything
>reinstall windows 10
>everything just magically werks
your choice

>windows 10
>anything working, ever
>even just a little bit
lmao

drive is dead user, no matter what OS, you were set to fail.

>never heard of unofficial repositories

Then how come Windows never bothers me about this shit? Look, I know Windows has its problems, but it generally keeps them to itself. At most all you need to worry about is running defrag every now and then, which can be setup to run automatically every night while you sleep, so you literally never need to worry about it or not enough disk space at all either. With Lunix I can't even figure out how to defrag it, because apparently no one thought to include a program to do it like MS does.

because wangblows would rather show you a corrupted file than tell you that you might want to take a look at your harddrive.

Why? The developers themselves aren't even for sure if it's a dead project or not. Open or FreeBSD are your real options as far as the BSDs go.

> procede to disconect the battery on my laptop just like I always do on w10 when it takes too much time to shutdown

Fedora is great if you just want to use free software. If you need proprietary software for whatever reason, Fedora makes using it as difficult as possible to get setup for.

>microcode
It works fine without proprietary drivers for microcode.

t. Someone who's been using Ubuntu with that driver missing since January.

Use the real botnet 10. Not some fake not botnet Linux and co.

People may say that it doesn't have any line or packet going out of it. But this shows that it's the best botnet ever made. People are unaware of it.

/thread

You ruined your computer drive, and now you're mad Linux shows you an error instead of dying quietly one morning with all your files like Windows.

Throw your laptop away, and sterilize yourself.

If you just want to be a cool fella in your college, then go back to your Win10. Linux is not for everyone.

lol no, that isn't true at all
hybrid graphics are not compatible with linux at all, and most distros don't have the wireless drivers for macbooks in the installer.

but it does

you piece of shit troll
versus what? you can't get a day out of windows without it failing

idiot

linux doesn't need defragging
ext4 is full of workarounds to prevent fragmented files, unlike ntfs

fucking brainlets, when will they learn?

>procede to disconnect the battery on my laptop just like I always do on w10 when it takes too much time to shutdown
and you wonder how your disk became like this

Clean reinstall of ubuntu, and then use OS prober (google it) to detect windows? Make sure you choose the right partitions.

Try manjaro :)

If you're used to windows, kubuntu 17.10 is a good option.

You sound retarded, this is the cream on the top

I think we're heading for a new kind of incompetence, the people who grew up with smartphones. As if the GUI generation wasn't bad enough.

It's the logical conclusion of "turn it off and on again to fix it" becoming the go-to method of solving problems.

friendly reminder to op, that if he's too much of a retard to install Mint or Ubuntu, he should probably sell his computer and start a manual job.

stupid imbecile. if you don't know what you're talking about, stfu.
of course linux works with hybrid graphics, subhuman

doing a hard shutdown like that can be really bad for your hdd. this doesn't look like a problem with linux

>install ubuntu
>disconect the battery on my laptop
where else did you fuck up?
>¿being spanish?

fake news tyvm

>gentoo is pretty god for newcomers
>pretty easy to setup
>won't be wasting your time setting up and fixing stuff

Cool blog faggot.

I hate it when people keep telling this ridiculously ignorant statement.
Linux Hardware support is completely shit.

If you don't have ancient hardware then you can be absolutely sure that something is not going to work as expected out of the box. There is ALWAYS something broken under Linux

>> Its taking to long to shutdown
try using a distro without systemd

i think his point was that linux has better compatibility with old hardware

Sure, but who actually uses old hardware? Only the minority

>> be me
>> hey let's leave botnet 10
>> try to install ubuntu
>> It doesn't work because muh microcode
>> try to install solus
>> It doesn't work because I don't know some weird login and password ¿wtf?
>> try mint
>> it didn't work out of the box just like w10 because apparently nvidia hates linux
>> oh ok, let's fix it
>> 4 hours latter....
>> Having a lot of fun downloading free software in my flaming new os
>> Decides to finally go to sleep
>> Its taking to long to shutdown
>> meh whatever
>> procede to disconect the battery on my laptop just like I always do on w10 when it takes too much time to shutdown
>> the fucking os bricked itself
>Tell me Sup Forums is there a trivial fix to this (already tried the live usb command: sudo fsck /dev/sda1 "fix" and it didn't worked)
>Because if the answer is to reinstall the fucking os again then Im better using another distro that is more estable (if such a thing exist) or better yet just fucking using botnet 10 again...
Ignore the shitposts. The Boot param nomodeset fixes it, Google it