When was the last time that scientific calculators were actually used by scientists/engineers for their work...

When was the last time that scientific calculators were actually used by scientists/engineers for their work? Was it the 70s, before everyone had a workstation or PC on their desk?

Other urls found in this thread:

iexpert9.com/scientific-calculators/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I use one at work. I find it's much faster to do quick calculations with a dedicated interface

All my college professors use them. One was even surprised when he saw a classmate's graphing calc.

They are used all the time today

>that display
Legitimately triggered me and reminded of all the moments I've spent typing messages into this piece of shit in shitty weather.

How to obey the laws of physics while defying the laws of economics.

Casio techs you higher.

>HP 35 retailed for $300-400
>go to look for a used one
>sell at auction for $300-400 30 years later

kek

I wish advertising went back to being this terrible

now it's so good it's got half the population brainwashed

The calculator app on your smartphone and on your desktop PC has a "dedicated interface."

I was an industrial high school student.

it is significantly easier to do fast calculations on your calculator I still use mine occasionally, even if I have something like Matlab open.

I love that shit.
Where can you get tiny nixies like that nowadays?

At uni you're pretty much required to have a calculator for many exams, but it might be forbidden to use a graphic calculator. I don't know later on, I'm still a student.

they're not tiny nixie tubes, it's a VFD (vacuum flourescent display)

Looks like small individual tubes, with every digit being on its own layer.
Aren't VFDs a single segmented layer?

looked it up, the HP-35 used an LED segment display

looks smoother than a modern seven seg
what the hell

having device designed specifically to do certain task is almost always better than using alternatives. you can have your matlab or whatever, but it'll still be easier to just type stuff in your pocket math thingie with interface made just for one of those couple things you can do

yea, it's an interesting design
the reason it sort of looks like nixie tubes is probably due to the convex plastic on the top to magnify each segment

>hexidecimal
found a typo :^)

El Psy Congroo

>calculate with the speed of light - and twelve other commonly used physical constraints
Class A marketing right there

i don't know what that means

>All those options
can't do modulus
Scientific calculators not even once.

They still use them every day!

They never stopped!

iexpert9.com/scientific-calculators/

Still expensive but
>what is inflation

Stop saying silly things.

>TTI-84 numbah on-

TRASH

I find myself using maxima these days but I still have a voyage lying around.

Don't know if it's just habit at this point, but I often find it quicker to just type out operations on a calculator than using a laptop or a phone.

I still have one of those. If an EMP hits earth I hope there are some left.

>No Sharp-ELW516X
>TI-84 Plus at Number #1

>touch screen calculator

absolutely haram

I use my graphing calculator with muscle memory for doing any basic calculations, and Mathematica for rigorous stuff.

Matlab is for fags btw

Ti calculators are still retardedly overpriced because they got basically a monopoly inside textbooks.

Why isn't there tiny handheld (with proper keys) that runs Mathematica?
Shit's still somewhat useful on a small ARM SoC like the Pi.