Is Void Linux the meme distro I've been looking for?

Is Void Linux the meme distro I've been looking for?
>non systemd
>decent package management
>not from source
>don't have to configure whole system from scratch

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
unetbootin.github.io/
sourcemage.org/About
crux(dot)nu/Main/About
sourcemage.org/Comparison with Gentoo
lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yea it's pretty nice.

Just use Devuan you fucking faggot

it sucks
>take the worst linux distro
>make it worse
lol no

How is it the worst?
What is an alternative
inb4 *BSD

It has the most interesting set of design choices of all Linux distros in my opinion?

But how is the execution?

Been using it for a few months, it's pretty good and really comfy. Would recommend.

List of non-systemd distros:
Sup Forumsentoo
Funtoo
Void
Devuan
GuixSD
Some Arch forks
and Slackware I think

Install Gentoo

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

WHY THE FUCK ISNT THIS RETARDED SHIT WORKING? I USED RUFUS TO PUT THE ISO ON A FLASH DRIVE AND IT JUST KEEPS FUCKING BOOTING TO WINDOWS WHAT THAT FUCK DO I USE IF NOT RUFUS? ITS THE ONLY TOOL THERE IS FOR WINDOWS WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS RETARDED SHIT?

bloated coreutils and starting packages.
install alpine

Should've specified that this was a list of GOOD non-systemd distros

user are you angry

>not mentioning CRUX or Source Mage
I am disappoint

>void
>failed to install grub in VM
>devuan
>failed to install grub in VM

any of these that let me use something other than grub? they clearly dont work with it

yes i want to install these but the method i use for all OSes doesnt seem to work and no one will tell me what else to use i dont have access to DD in windows at least not a sane version

unetbootin.github.io/
Don't know much about those.
redpill me

>failed to install grub
Worked for me

dd

everytime i have ever used unetbootin its never worked properly i have thrown it in the reject pile like im about to do with shitty rufus YOU GET ONE FUCK UP WITH ME AND IM DONE WITH YOU FOREVER

Didn't know winblows could use that

neither worked for me and your statement is not helpful

the windows version is total SHIT

Install CloverOS

NixOS

last time i tried cloverOS was a complete nightmare the installer didnt work properly and then when i went to try it recently i couldnt find the site again for an updated iso

But user, I already put GuixSD in there!
Also, doesn't nixos have systemd?

NixOS uses systemd.

cygwin or smth

cloveros.ga or something like that

that sucks user. never tried void but I also use rufus. never had a problem with the other dozens distros I've installed, devuan most recently

source based distros, both very nice
Source Mage has a nice package management system written in bash that is very user friendly, you get the same level of customization as with Gentoo
they use their own implementation of a dependency based sysv like init
sourcemage.org/About
CRUX is more minimal, the package management system is basically BSD ports, but much simpler
it has a BSD style init
crux(dot)nu/Main/About

hmm if cloverOS flunks in VM i might just try devuan on metal anyway

Select "dd mode". This mode is the whole point of using rufus on windows.

I don't really see the point of using Crux or Source Mage over Gentoo. Gentoo has a ports-like package manager that allows tons of customization and it has BSD style init on steroids.

Slackware doesn't get enough love from Sup Forums.

sorry, i thought it didnt :/
both NixOS and GuixSD sound good though

>Source Mage
maybe you prefer the user friendlynes of sorcery
>CRUX
maybe you prefer a much simpler package management system

also, sorcery does things differently than portage, you can read all about that here
sourcemage.org/Comparison with Gentoo

>not using parabola with openrc
pathetic

>going through the painful process of setting that up and maintaining it

>hating systemd
it's time to grow up

you really think you're smarter than init system/kernel developers and distro maintainers? because you read some shitpost on Sup Forums about it being a botnet?

It's a great distro. The only problem is that the repos are still relatively small compared to Arch, but that is slowly improving.
xbps is a fantastic package manager.

unetbootin retard

Not him, but I'll say this:
systemd does have some legitimate issues that are worth pointing out. However, I can't deny that having a more centralized way to control my services has made my life easier overall.
The "botnet" compaints are ridiculous however. It's free software. If you don't like it as it is, you have the power to change it.
Most autists however don't have enough knowledge to do it.

There are plenty of kernel devs who dislike systemd: lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459

what's wrong with systemd? I never subscribed to this circle jerk in the past and I don't have enough interest to read everything on it.

tell me what to think.

Void is the perfect distro.

it is kind of an actual Sup Forums meme that some people on Sup Forums shill unironically

gentoo is unironically good though

systemd is far too large and does way more than it should do. An init systems job is to start up necessary applications at boot and clean up at shutdown, but systemd ties into a ton of things like dbus and udev, and they keep adding more and more addon daemons to it like systemd-logind, systemd-networkd, systemd-resolved and so on. Basically the problem is feature creap and the fact that the devs are assholes who have a "my way or the highway" attitude.

why have so many distributions adopted it?

>gentoo is unironically good though
This. I switched to Gentoo because of the whole systemd thing, at first just on my laptop to try it but now all my machines are running Gentoo. It is really a fantastic distro that's a little underrated because of the Sup Forums meme and because it's a little hard to install for noobs.

Mostly because other applications, especially red hat (company behind systemd) projects have started depending on systemd stuff. A major one is the gnome desktop which depends on systemd-logind which forced a lot of gnome distros to change.

That's because Sup Forums is full of lazy faggots. If they're not spoonfed the commands to manually install their distro, AND given a package manager that does all the work for them, it's shit.

Think about it. Arch and gentoo are popular here, but derivatives that include an actual installer gets you called a brainlet. They'll say slackware is shit because "dependency hell" but in reality anyone with a little common sense would know to create a "full installer" that has all of the optional packages and either select everything during the install process, or grab the deps from the install image as needed if they don't want to install "bloat" (libs that don't do anything unless they're a dep for something are apparently "too much storage bloat" in a time where 1TB costs less than $50)

UEFI? => gpt
BIOS? => mbr

Rufus is pretty much the best tool for windows.

Try legacy mode in bios as last resort

I was under the impression that the openrc variant wasn't stable yet yes? I would like to give it a shot at some point...

It's easier if you have another machine already running a gnu/linux distro.

If you do have access to another machine run:

dd bs=4M if=~/path/to/your.iso of=/dev/sdx