What does Sup Forums think of the new wooden tower trend...

What does Sup Forums think of the new wooden tower trend? An 18-story wooden dormitory was just built in the communist nation of British Columbia and enviro-fags are pushing for taller and taller wooden buildings because they are more "sustainable" than steel and concrete.

sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/would-you-live-wooden-skyscraper

Me personally? Hell no I'm not living in a giant swaying tinderbox.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2017/05/wood-skyscrapers/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

More sustainable, right.

Also fire and storm resistant :^)

Just start purging brainlets or neutering brainlets who don't reach 100+ IQ at age 20. Problem solved.

wood is a good building material, especially in places with large temperature ranges

Who knew that cyberpunk was wrong and we’d all be living in sustainable wooden skyscrapers?

wired.com/2017/05/wood-skyscrapers/

Nobody said it wasn’t, brainlet, we’re talking about using wood to build skyscrapers.

Christ.

I work as an electrician on building sites. While this might be aesthetically pleasing it's a terrible idea and I would not want to be involved with construction.

Then again people pay 2.6 million for the horrific, ugly units we are building in Australia. Maybe people are just Dumbo.

I grew up doing occasional logging with my father so I approve. As long as it's sound engineering wise I don't see the problem.

is that what we're talking about?
need two people for a discussion, and i don't see anyone talking about the first yet, manlet

>not just genetically engineering trees to grow into buildings with large open pockets, self healing membrane "windows" and stairways suitable for humans

smhtbhfam

doesn't wood burn really well unless you pump it full with carcinogenic chemicals to make it "fire proof" and then you're worse off than living in a clean steel/concrete building?

> Today, on a site along the Chicago River, architects are exploring a new kind of high-rise structure built entirely from timber. The River Beech Tower is a spindly, beechwood building whose 80 stories cut a blonde silhouette against Chicago’s dark, glassy horizon.

Allahu Akbar! Absolutely halal. Yes do this Western pigs.

buildings in general are very susceptible to dumping lighter fluid on the carpeting inside and then lighting a match, but you don't always need to plan so that the failure condition occurs when designing something

noice 3/5 would abide

Getting triggered by people building wood houses.

How do they keep it from swaying until you puke? Even if it was structurally sound I feel like it would sway a ton in the wind just like the tops of trees.

I live in a wood house. It's 3 stories like god intended, not 30 stories like these satanic structures being proposed.

Hah, they built a dormitory as the first one because only students are poor enough to not have a choice in the matter.

>How do they keep it from swaying
steel and concrete buildings already sway
>I feel like it would sway a ton in the wind just like the tops of trees
now you're just retarded

Wood houses are fine, just about everyone in America who has a house has a wooden one.
This is completely different.

Wood houses are trash in every conceivable way.

Concrete is infinitely more durable and comfy.
Stays cooler in summer, stays warmer in winter, no constant fucking creaking as the house shifts at night due to temperature changes, sound proofing between walls, I could go on but you get the point.

enjoy your concrete house

i know you want to be nationalist over everything and automatically assume you have the best of everything because of where you were born, but seriously, stop

concrete is not a better insulator, it is not going to stay warmer in winter

This. I am envious of people with houses like this. If I could build a house from scratch, it'd have no organic material: no wood, no paper. Nothing to rot.

>no constant fucking creaking as the house shifts at night due to temperature changes
where is this house located at that this happens?
i live in the midwest, which has pretty decent temperature swings and I've never heard my house creak (it's about 40 years old)

Nobody gets the point because it's not feasible or how concretworks

My wooden house is 100 years old, I get 30 degree temp swings at night, rarely creaks at all.

And no concrete houses are NOT warmer in the winter. My parents-in-law have one, it loses heat much faster than my wooden house.

Can jet fuel melt wood beams?

Central Canada and I'm listening to mine creak and shift as I write this

wood has its place, it's just those particle board monstrosities which should all burn down.

>north american houses are literally built out of matchsticks and paper mache
I remember watching a video where some American needs to run cable into his house. His solution? Just measure and drill straight through the wall and out the drywall on the other side.

what would you do with concrete?

wooden or concrete.. if you have shit insulation and shit windows your house will lose heat ridiculously fast

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper

Come on man, this is engineering 101.

While I don't mind building good wooden houses, I don't care about them being wooden.

Just build a good, beautiful low energy house that will last 100+ years with some renovations every 25 years or so.

>Stays warmer in the winter
Confirmed to have never lived outside a tropical paradise. Enjoy spending a fortune heating the place once winter hits.

Do they not know where that wood comes from?

I live in China and the buildings are all amde with concrete
they don't stay cool in the summer, they don't say warm in the winter, I can hear people a floor above and one unit to the right of me open and close doors
you're full of shit

Why don't we build skyscrapers out of bismuth?

What's the problem here? If the house was made of brick or concrete he would have drilled straight throw it too.

>And no concrete houses are NOT warmer in the winter.
It's mostly the modern insulation and insulated windows that matter.

You can use concrete or wood just fine, but they're not the main insulating thing in a modern or renovated house.

its actually not a paradox if you knew where construction lumber comes from. its not the amazon jungles.

Softwood is a renewable resource, imbecile. Canada has a huge industry.

Trees can be replanted. Cut a tree down, gather the seeds/reproductive thing, plant several new trees from the one you cut down, rinse and repeat. Sustainable.

Iron does not grow on its own so when it's all used up it's gone. Proper recycling will help alleviate this problem. It's also possible iron can be created through neutron bombardment of heavier atoms and nuclear decay though it's not possible to do this on a scale viable for mass production currently and there's probably not enough of the source element to every make this feasible anyway. If you wanna get technical iron is sort of renewable as some iron does come from meteorites but it constitutes trace amounts over a human life scale and is therefore negligible.

Concrete isn't renewable either but there's so much fucking rock on Earth that we probably can't realistically use it all so it's not really worth considering it a non-renewable resources. .

I've been in wooden Chalets from the 18th century and they didn't creak in stormy wind. I think there were old creaky floor boards somewhere, but that'd have been easy to fix.

>Iron does not grow on its own so when it's all used up it's gone
user, earth is about 35% iron. We probably can't ever make as much trees by mass.

It also generally won't escape earth and we can only "use" so much, most of it can be reclaimed in one or another way.

>using wood
>first world

lol meikunts please kys

Most of Western Australia and a large part of Brazil is made of iron ore.
We're not running out for a while yet.
Also, iron is recyclable. Always has been. Part of the iron production process depends on a supply of scrap iron.

Most of that iron is molten and is in the core of the planet. The easily accessible iron represents only a small portion of the total iron on Earth. Also even if we developed the technology to be able to gather iron from the core we probably shoudln't at the risk of fucking up the Earth's magnetic field so just assume that all the iron down there should stay down there if we all want to live.

>Also, iron is recyclable.
what about muh carbon footprint?

what sovereign nation do you reside?

drill. then be fucked when hitting a rebar.
it's like I have an uncanny talent to hit those fuckers and destroy expensive drills.

and then it rains and falls apart

great fucking idea

>Me personally? Hell no I'm not living in a giant swaying tinderbox
you're already living in a swaying fuel soaked tinderbox

>CTRL+F
>Housefires: 0/0 matches

You're getting lazy Sup Forums

Based Macedonia is reporting in.

I'm glad only brown people died there.

very nice

>Implying every building designed in the past 15 years doesn't use the same cheap chinkshit cladding because the architect thinks it looks aesthetic and the builder is worried about his shekles

Iron is all over the upper layers of earth, too.

And long before we could extract enough to mess with the magnetic field of earth, tying up a similar mass in wood would surely fuck with the other plant life on earth.

Sound proofing? With concrete?
What the fuck mate, you couldn't be any wronger.

That would actually be pretty cool. Elf LARP life when?

Don't know about concrete but bricks are fucking horrible. I'm so tired of stupid dogs barking 2 floors below me at 5 a.m. And you wouldn't even figure out if they are actually below or above you, I just know it.
Limestone is the best.

depends on the bricks. these pearlite-filled bricks are dead quiet.

>you were born too early
>you will never be an elf

That includes you too.

Lol, Same!

>concrete and steel are easily recycled
>wood either rots or turns into paper
it's decent for single-family homes but large buildings should be built out of steel and concrete

>I live in China

>he thinks that's real concrete he's living in

lmao

>but wood rots
>enjoy your matchstick house

If you actually read the article you'd know that they arent using 2x4's to build these. They're using engineered timbers like CLT, glulam parralel strand lumber. These are much stronger than normal timber, can be made into large beams and columns and are much more fire resistant than you might think. They char at a constant rate instead of just going up and don't loose strength while doing so, unlike steel. As for the rotting, the structure isn't exposed to the elements, there will be damp proof membranes and cladding protecting them from the elements.

>matchsticks wrapped in plastic bags

>Brits rave about their strong stone buildings
>Cover it in extremely flammable cladding
>Tell all residents to stay in place rather than leave a burning building

>Sup Forums knowing anything about construction
Modern wood construction is very different from traditional practices. They've figured out ways to greatly strengthen the beams using various techniques like cross-lamination. They also satisfy fire codes as well as any other material with proper treatment. Wood is also cheaper and better for the environment than concrete/steel structures while also being much lighter, they have wood designs pushing 40 stories now. It's just a matter waiting for regulation to catch up and you will see wood structures popping up everywhere.

>living in a house that's 20% glue by weight

4 years later dad told me to build wooden outhouse for bricklayers crew. Chainsaw, hammer, nails, meter, marker and 5h later my first outhouse was completed. Survived like 2 100km + storms so far. Btw I build it from my head.

>4 years later
Engrish am I right. I'm so fucking retarded.

All I can think is: TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES TERMITES

yeah going to go the sterilization route rather than purge route

>doesn't wood burn really well unless you pump it full with carcinogenic chemicals to make it "fire proof"

nope

holy fuck that's more A E S T H E T I C than anything here in America
at least we aren't nordic housing where EVERYTHING LOOKS FUCKING THE SAME

> just about everyone in America who has a house has a wooden one.

These are cardboard houses with a thin wooden frame and everybody knows they are shit

>This is completely different.

Exactly, like 100000 times better quality than your usual overpriced cardboard boxes

>he doesn't want to live in a building of pure steel with a thin gold layer on top of it
bet you don't even emperor

>mfw americans keep building their houses out of wood when they live in hurricane and flood territories

You keep pointing out your geology textbook but somehow missed the point completely in all 3 replies

I guarantee that's an iron structure with some Home Depot panels on it

>ctrl+f
>no earthquake

Wood is superior to steel and whatnot. A reinforced core, reinforced concrete basements and whatnot are not in discussion for taller buildings. Wood will provide a better thermal insulation albeit it may come with a poorer sound insulation. No, it won't catch fire.

>>Sup Forums knowing anything about construction

This actually. I don't understand how people who obviously know nothing about the topic can be so opinionated.

Those can only do so much. I’ve been to the top of skyscrapers with them and you can still feel the sway.

>macedonia

So a fake country?

>user, earth is about 35% iron

To bad it doesn't grow out of the ground on its own, lel

>I don't understand how people who obviously know nothing about the topic can be so opinionated.
You don't get out much, do you?

No. Also I don't expect to meet the same idiots I'd meet outside on chans.

>No, it won't catch fire.
citation needed

They ought to burn really well. Enjoy your fiery death trap.

Yeah I'd live in one for a couple semesters to try it out

Been to Skoplje it's a fucking circus, what the Fuck were you guys thinking with all those gaudy monuments and buildings.

enjoy your termites and other pests, i'm fine here in my conrete box.

Buy a decent hammer drill and proper SDS bits then