What does Sup Forums think of Always On displays?

What does Sup Forums think of Always On displays?

Neat feature or battery draining gimmick?

A M O L E D
M
O
L
E
D

turned off instantly.
If I can't, I return it

neat use of an OLED
i don't use it myself, though

Incredibly useful. Good to see Samsung and others finally figuring that out.

i think the features "ambient display" (shows clock/notifications for a few seconds on pocket removal/other action) and "screensaver" (shows clock/notifications while docked/charging) make more sense than simply on all the time

I like it. Minimum brightness, though. Love it specially as a clock at night. During the day I turn it off. In any case, is not a useless gimmick.

the brave new face of autism

It's neat, but I turned it off on my S8. It drains about 1% battery an hour, so by the end of the day that adds up. I'd rather have the extra battery life than the always on display, especially since my phone is generally either being used or in my pocket.

>What does Sup Forums think of Always On displays?
Nokia did it first.
I don't know why no one copied that. Utterly brilliant feature.

Wife's phone uses the proximity sensor to show it only when you take or pass you hand over the phone. In this case, neat, if always on and not optional, bloat.

>It drains about 1% battery an hour,
WTF!
On my N9 it's literally unnoticable.

Pretty sure the sensor drains the battery faster than the pitch black oled display with a few white pixels

Can't do that on an iPhone, or you'll bend it.

It does not.

My S8 is right around 1%/hr drain for the AOD, and from what I've read that's pretty average for the S8/+. Granted that's with it sitting on a desk all day. If my phone was in my pocket most the of the the AOD would turn off and the drain would likely be minimal overall then.

I want to like the AOD, but losing 10-20% of my battery life each day just for it isn't worth it.

My S5 has AMOLED. Can I turn it on on my phone?

I want a little e-ink sliver specifically for the purpose of being always on, doesn't need to be big.
That would be ideal for me.
Could be on the rear of the phone handset or even part of the case.

it's not a built in feature of the phone but you can download an app from the playstore that does the same thing

My V20 takes care of that just by having it's secondary screen. At first I thought the 2nd screen was a gimmick. Now I don't know what I'd do without it really.

neat feature but only for indoors. black amoled screen + outside sunlight = bad time

Cool

Neat. For my S7 it's not actually always on though, turns off when I put it in my pocket (I assume they combine proximity sensors with light sensors to detect that).

Even when it's always on it won't add more than a couple percent of drain a day at the brightness I have my phone.

having it always on is stupid. makes more sense if you tap the screen then it shows up briefly then turns off.

If you run a FOSS ROM then you can (if implemented).
If you don't run a FOSS ROM you install that first.
If your phone isn't supported by a FOSS ROM you return it.

always on botnet

Sounds like a recipe for burn-in

neat feature if done right.

the on screen elements move periodically so no chance of burn in

It does drain battery but my S7 edge usually only uses like 50% a day max, so I don't mind the extra 10-20% or so.

> permanently active screen
> battery full charge lasts 2 hours SoT
> 700 $/€
it sounds great

Yeah, if you have lcd

I miss the way it was on my OG moto x where you could read notifications and it only turned on when you waved a hand over or bumped the device. The one on my s8 now is nicer than turning your phone on all the time but still not very useful.

And even if, Nokia had that one figured out too.
They had the option for it on their early LCD windows phones and did some weird magic and it used almost as little energy as OLED.

remember when an 'always on' display was the default?

Put your phone face down on your desk then.

with an OLED, only lit (non-black) pixels actually use power, so this doesn't use nearly as much power as you'd think

have it on my s7. S7 spends 75% of it's life on a wireless charger on my desk at work or home. It's nice. I glance at it a fair amount.
It doesn't have much of an affect on battery life, but it's not negligible.

it still is like that on moto phones

Remember it only is on when the proximity sensor doesn't detect anything. So if it's in your pocket all day it's not draining anything. It's 1% an hour if you have it sitting out for an hour.

stupid.
I'm literally never too far from a clock to need this, and it takes just as long to pull the phone out of my pocket and click the power button as to pull the phone out of my pocket and not press the power button.

This is Sup Forums, what do you want?

>calls someone else stupid
>can't even quote a post number