Computer randomly shutting off

My computer has been randomly shutting down then turning back on. Could it be because my CPU has too much thermal paste on it? Pic related, it's my cpu.

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/301063/how-much-thermal-paste-should-i-apply-to-my-cpu/
pcgamer.com/how-to-properly-apply-thermal-paste-and-install-a-cpu/
tomshardware.com/forum/316695-28-thermal-paste-apply
wikihow.com/Apply-Thermal-Paste
rixstep.com/1/20060521,00.shtml
news.softpedia.com/news/Fire-of-NVIDIA-s-GTX-480-Gets-Put-Out-by-Aqua-140498.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how the fuck are you getting by with that little amout of thermal paste lmao. who did your build?

You're not supposed to use your CPU as a cumrag.

i can still see your mobo, op. you need moar paste

I built it myself. So there's too little paste?

>Sup Forums humour

thermal paste acts as a dielectric that shields cpu components from each other, reducing interference and improving performance

So do I need more or less paste, or am I good?

u need to cover the green area retard

if your computer's insides don't look like open heart surgery on the stay puft marshmallow man, then you fucked up

Yeah you need more. Try to get a sizeable covering over the metal retention plate around the edges of the cpu. Ideally you shouldn't be able to see the metal anymore, it works to transfer the heat to the heatsink better. As another user suggested it's also useful to get it on the main bits of the motherboard, but not too much because you likely dont have enough thermal paste.

post another pic when you have put enough on OP

Check the gap between your cpu and the heatsink. You need about 3mm to reduce any electronic interference.

op you are meant to use a cpu cooler too

Watch a how-to video online of someone applying thermal paste, you have WAY too much thermal paste.

Why you gotta troll a guy asking a legit question?

Thats way too much paste. You want a pea-sized drop in the middle of the CPU then install the heat sink securely.

The CPU might not be the problem causing it to shut down. Could also be memory, power supply, short in a cable, etc... Look in your event viewer under "system" and look back for the shut down events and look at the events that are "Errors" just before the shutdown time and see what it says. Could also be a driver.

stop giving OP advice that will make his computer catch on fire

You need thermal paste under the lid too

derp. a simple google search would prove I'm correct. go back to Sup Forums if you want to trollhard.

Man you should put a drop of size of pea. Not the size of your mom clitoris

I did a simple google search and it bore out my position that OP did not use enough thermal paste. Pic related is Apple's guidance.

after you came all over your CPU, did you put a fan on as well?
I ask because it looks like you are a fucking retard.

howtogeek.com/301063/how-much-thermal-paste-should-i-apply-to-my-cpu/
pcgamer.com/how-to-properly-apply-thermal-paste-and-install-a-cpu/
tomshardware.com/forum/316695-28-thermal-paste-apply
wikihow.com/Apply-Thermal-Paste

Try harder.

I think I trust the biggest single hardware manufacturer in America over the opinions of random nerds on wikipedia and hobby forums.

And if you go by apple as your information source, you shouldnt be using a computer.

I guess NASA shouldn't be using computers either?

No but what CPU is that because your VRM design is absolutely shit and your PSU may also be shit

rixstep.com/1/20060521,00.shtml

And this is just ONE of the websites I found that basically all agree this is the wrong way/amount of grease to use. Your responses and opinions in this thread to OP have been useless, flase, and plain wrong. You have been found guilty of your ignorance and you must stay offline for no less than 3 days. Any appeals must go through the supreme court. Have a good day.

I think Apple knows better than some random blogger.

Go back to Sup Forums if you want to support a thread asking for tech support.

??? This is Sup Forums, technology, helping people with tech problems and discussing techology. How the hell is Sup Forums a better place for tech questions?

God trolling nowadays is in a sad state.

PC Gamer & Toms hardware is not a random blogger.

Do they manufacture hardware? Or do they write blog posts?

this is bait.

this is faggot

I hear a faint buzzing noise, does anyone else hear that? Sounds like an extremely close minded person who should not be working on computers or helping others if he doesnt even know that more than a pea-ish sized amount of thermal paste is too much.
Must be my imagination, there is no way a human can be that retarded.

Do you work for Tom's Hardware? Do you get kickbacks from tech companies for giving people bad advice, forcing them to buy new hardware?

bzzzzzzzzz
that god damn buzzing again. Wont go away.

I did some google searches and the overwhelming amount of information agrees that this is too much thermal paste. Thank you for your help, and thank you for helping me not follow bad advise from what seems like maybe an apple fanboy?

No problem OP. You'll always want to do some research before taking random people's advice. Glad I could help, ignore the trolls. Working in IT for over 20 years and building PC's since the Pentium era this is one of the topics where the majority all agrees on things like this.

Don't blame me when your house catches on fire tonight. You could have prevented it if you'd only used enough thermal paste.

BAM, just showed your true knowledge and proved troll. If you think an overheating CPU can set a house on fire....yea....go back to Sup Forums.

Any modern CPU will shut off before it gets too hot, and the temp will be WAY lower than needed to start a fire. Unless you use insulation or kindling as a heat sink.

>he doesn't remember the GTX480
go back to preschool, underage&

lulz. because a CPU and a GTX480 are the same thing.

I read this thread just to see if anyone realised that OP is implying that he's not using a heatsink.

it demonstrates the principle. OP desperately needs as much thermal paste as possible to prevent history from recurring

Just stop, you're making yourself look like a fool.

I know you probably dont mean it, but even though you're talking sense and trying to help, its still feeding this troll. Just let him be and he will go away back to his sad life.

The markings on the paste looks like there was a heatsink installed at some point. But good catch

The fool is the person sitting next to a firebomb because they didn't put enough thermal paste on their CPU.

Thermal paste is a meme, I've been out for at least 5 years and my PC has been running just fine.

news.softpedia.com/news/Fire-of-NVIDIA-s-GTX-480-Gets-Put-Out-by-Aqua-140498.shtml

Yes the 480 got hot, but there have been no reports of an actual "fire" caused by the Fermi chips.

ooooooo Helmans! The good stuff. Better than arctic silver.

/s

Once the computer melts you can't trace the fire's source. We don't know how many Nvidia fires went unreported.

????? You're saying fire marshalls cannot ever tell you the source of a fire? What 3rd world country / isolated island in the sticks are you living in?

I like in America, dumbass.

So in america, firemen cannot find the source of fires? Every post you make is dumber than the last. Im actually impressed. Shouldnt you be in school? Dont want to get grounded and have your internet taken away.

Not if the source of the fire was obliterated. This is basic science.

I've also started experiencing random shutdowns on W10.
R7 1700 @4GHz, RX 580

No such problems on Linux

>fuck I came on my CPU but I forget why I wanted to post this on Sup Forums, what's the most bullshit reason I can come up with?

incorrect
there is a board specifcally for asking for help
install gentoo

>@4GHz
I like how you specified that like anyone cares.

he's trying to show he's special
I have one that made it there too, it's not that crazy

What can I say? I'm a lucky guy

>lucky
>look guise my cpu gets 10 more points than ones that only can do 3.9ghz

I see your problem, you need a CPU fan. it should sit on top of the thermal paste(which you need more of btw).

Someone's jealous?

Use a tiny amount in comparison to what you've already used, a SMALL pea is best

Sorry not an amd fag, I need my core clocks way higher than that.

Never said AMD was the only build in my house.
Cry harder please, your tears are delicious seeing you pedaling so fast.

>you havent switched over to winter thermal paste yet

Same specs on W10. No problems here

uhhh ok dude you keep living in your weird little fantasy.

:^) someone is going elsewhere.

Might be a problem with the installation then.
Or my DualShock 3 drivers. Again.
Motherboard is ASUS Prime X370-pro btw

filename

You need to delid your CPU. It's dark in there and some of them just fall asleep. Especially when you tuck them in so well.

>Randomly
I bet you didn't even check any logs at all. Fuck off kiddo.

go back to r*ddit

This one always gets my sides flowing.

Don t listen to the retards . You need only 1 drop in the middle of the cpu , like a rice dot . Then don t spread it just put the heatsink back on , the heatsink will spread it . Also don t use trash paste .