Winfag here. I want into Linux. Ubuntu seems like the way to go for non-autists. Problem is...

Winfag here. I want into Linux. Ubuntu seems like the way to go for non-autists. Problem is, I heard it has dodgy shit like the Amazon "spyware" shit.

Is there any guide to disable all of the shit that comes with Ubuntu that may be anti privacy? I just want to run my bitcoin wallet on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint.com/download.php
infoworld.com/article/3182824/linux/is-linux-mint-a-secure-distribution.html
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
distrowatch.com/
virtualbox.org/
c1.staticflickr.com/9/8611/16457479519_71367787fa_o.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>non-autists
>linux

>he fell for the loonix meme

Install openSUSE Tumbleweed

Thank me later

there's no "spyware" on 16.04 and newer. Ubuntu spyware consisted of dash searches being sent to online sources (including Amazon), which has been off by default since 16.04. You can check it out in System Settings > Privacy.

The Amazon icon on the launcher is just that, a launcher, you can remove it, it does nothing.

Install Solus

why? everyone recommends ubuntu as the easiest, straight forward winfag to linux step

no, that'd be Mint, which is basically Ubuntu with its own DE and better GUI software.

They don't have the spyware anymore in new versions but it's still kind of dodgy that they had it on the first place

I would suggest just using one of the other *buntus like Xubuntu or Kubuntu anyway so you don't have to deal with GNOME trash

well that gives me a peace of mind then

any recommendations of things to do right after installing it?

do i need an antivirus or firewall or something? i thought the point of linux is you dont need any of that shit and you are safe as long as you only install programs that are listed in the synaptic package manager and don't visit dodgy websites etc?

I would eat her ass

1. stop being so vulgar, you fucking pleb

2. Mint 64 XFCE is the most "works out of the box"

3. Last but not least, kys because you're using windows

You don't need antivirus or firewall, correct. I think ubuntu has an "additional drivers" program that detects any extra drivers and helps install them. I'd say do that first.

what's DE?

what one and why? are they still updated frequently?

what gives me peace of mind with ubuntu is that since they are funded with billions they have a ton of people updating it and checking for exploits and errors fixing things etc

so im scared to install something by some poorfags that don't keep things up to date

Yeah you won't need an antivirus
If something's not on Synaptic you'll just have to build it, but it should still be safe enough.
>Mint 64 XFCE
Why not just use Xubuntu?
>kys because you're using windows
Bro what did you even read the OP
He's switching to gnu/linux...

>Problem is, I heard it has dodgy shit like the Amazon "spyware" shit.
That rumor is outdated. Ubuntu may as well be your first GNU/Linux distribution. If you want to be truly 'non-autist', you might want to check out Elementary. It's based on ubuntu and tries to be even more ez, goes a bit
towards macOS.

Don't listen to anyone who tries to sell you Mint. These are either so out of the loop they couldn't help you anyway or outright malicious and try to drag you down with them.

>antivirus or firewall
The point is that you can take REAL control over your system. If you spend zero minutes on studying security you will be fine, but only because no one bothers to write malware targeted at you. But default settings are reasonable most of the time.

>DE
Don't bother about that for now. You get a full working system. If you want to learn more, google "Desktop Environment linux".

And again, DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO RECOMMEND MINT. IGNORE THEM.

>Mint 64 XFCE
holy shit

not only there are MILLIONS of distros, but distros itselves have millions of versions

so what version of mint 64 specifically? last one is:

>Download Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya

apparently

linuxmint.com/download.php

what do you think of linux mint

whats easier to install in comparation?

i need more pros and cons of both to decide

A DE is a desktop environment. You know how Windows has its specific UI, and MacOS has its own UI? Well on Linux, there are a whole bunch of options that allow you to select what you want your whole desktop experience to be like. If you are going to use ubuntu, you will be using either Unity, or GNOME if you're on 17.10.

What he means by other *buntus is that there are other spinoffs of ubuntu that come with the other DEs preinstalled, and preconfigured. They are well-known projects, and connected with the main one, so they're not some dodgy shit.

Linux Mint is a distro that is based on Ubuntu. Some people like it because all of its versions try to feel somewhat Windows-like in their configuration (start button at bottom left, time and systray at bottom right, etc). It's another newbie-friendly OS.

>tells OP to ignore people who recommend Mint
>doesn't tell OP why Mint is so bad other than an ad hominehominem

Yeah, latest is best in case of Mint (usually). Keep in mind though, if you have a hell of a toaster of a PC, you need 32 bit, but thats unlikely, and I personally think the Cinnamon edition is way better, if slower.

Mint is based on Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is little more than Debian on another release schedule and a more friendly overall package.

IMPORTANT when using Mint though, select the third option to install all updates when you first open the updater for security purposes. I personally never encountered it break.

DE is a desktop environment, like KDE, XFCE, Gnome, etc. Some distros ship with a specific desktop environment (most of the beginner ones do) and some of the more advanced ones let you choose your own. Right now I think Ubuntu still uses their own Unity desktop but they're switching to Gnome soon. KDE is my favorite, it's a bit on the heavy side though. XFCE is also good and it's relatively lightweight. Basically they each have different UI's but they're still all very configurable. Another user already mentioned this but I recommended the other *buntus because they are pretty much the same as Ubuntu but with a different DE. Kubuntu uses KDE, Xubuntu uses Xfce, and Mint uses Cinnamon, which is closer to the Windows desktop. Though I wouldn't recommend Mint as it strays a little further from Ubuntu than the others.

I'd suggest testing out each of these in a VM (virtual machine) before installing anything to get a feel for them and see which you like the best.

Install Gentoo thank me later don't listen to this nOObs

To clarify what this user said:
Yes, you want the latest version of Mint, which as you said is 18.2. Since mint makes everything feel windows-like, the different DE options on Mint don't really matter in terms of how they feel. The main noticeable difference is that some feel nicer and more polished, while others are better on system resources, with XFCE being the lightest, and KDE being the heaviest.

What he said about Debian can get kinda confusing. basically Debian is the top level, the original, although it's not exactly user-friendly, Ubuntu is based on it, and tries to make it more user-friendly. Mint is based on Ubuntu, and does its own thing with it.

>testing out each of these in a VM
PLEASE listen to this user. All of this is probably very confusing for you, but testing shit out in a virtual machine and actually feeling what each one is like will help it make more sense to you.

Don't listen to this user. Gentoo isn't bad, but it should not be your first experience with Linux.

Why are you doing this?

infoworld.com/article/3182824/linux/is-linux-mint-a-secure-distribution.html
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

1 minute in google. If you try to suggest mint in /fglt/ you either get laughed at or flamed. This happens with reason. But since you feel confident about suggesting distros to newbies in detail like this I'm pretty sure you know about these allegations, issues and past issues. So why are you doing this?

debian for beginners.

Can u stop posting disgusting 3d shit?

Use fedora. It's braindead simple to setup, and it just werks

why do you hate Linux Mint and why would you recommend Ubuntu over linux Mint?

This , if you want to start with something start with something that's useful switching to something that's constantly outdated is just going to annoy you or clutter the system; mint is Ubuntu with outdated packages , Ubuntu is Debian with bloat. Debian is stable with outdated packages(unless you use unstable or testing) fedora you are redhats bitch.

This thread has some top tier patrician level females in it.

I have a Q6600 CPU so it's 64 bit, 8GB RAM.

Why would I want to choose 32 bit? with 32 bit you can use less RAM.

You guys are making me really confused between Ubuntu and Mint right now desu

See this

>techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>Security vulnerabilities at the Linux Mint project highlight substantial issues with the popular Linux distribution, and the difficulty of maintaining a Linux distribution as a hobbyist project.

This is what i meant here:

Ubuntu may be seen as pleb tier but at least they got millions and isnt some hobby

i just wanted to be sure to stay away from anti privacy bullshit like the amazon shit

if you can guarantee i will be safe, then im OK with ubuntu

I just dont see why would i need to change distro to change graphical interface, i can just change my desktop theme?

Just buy an apple, babbys first unix

Please just listen to this user
And try these things out in a VM. You'll understand some of this stuff once you actually see each version, and feel what it's like to use them.

I wonder how it feels to fondle these buttocks

>And try these things out in a VM
VMs are for pussies. What you need to do is accidentally nuke the family computer's hard drive and install Slackware. This will force you to learn Linux quickly.

>fedora you are redhats bitch.
Explain further

Read this Ubuntu is always more secure. Mint doesn't offer you anything you wouldn't get on Ubuntu either. Ubuntu is user-friendly enough. But I don't mean that you should definitely go for Ubuntu. Just please don't use Mint. I don't hate Mint in particular. It's a bad distro maintained by incompetent people, and that's it. Usually "mint is shit" is all that's needed to say. I just can't stand people who give bad advice to newbies on purpose.

Make it a habit to check out Sup Forums's /fglt/ from time to time. If anything bad happens to a distro, countless friendly neckbeards will scream at the top of their lungs over it.

literally flawless

so the 3 proponents are:

ubuntu

mint

tumbleweed (what is this based on? its openSUSE but this is based on what? and what is tumbleweed? its just the auto update thing? but ubuntu also got auto updates? eeh this is so fucking confusing, too many distros fuck)

OpenSUSE is not based on anything. It is its own thing. Tumbleweed is a rolling-release version of OpenSUSE, which you really don't need to worry about right now.
Please take my advice and try these distros out in Virtualbox. This will all make a bit more sense to you once you actually see them in action.

Don't use Tumbleweed. It's what they call rolling release version of OpenSuse. It's the equivalent of getting Windows Insider builds minus the spying. Just use stable.

>three
>too many distros fuck
Haha, you know nothing. Here, check this out.

distrowatch.com/

But seriously, stay away from mint. Try any popular Ubuntu deviate or Ubuntu itself.

Tumbleweed is extremely stable while still having rolling releases its actually the only distro that actually manages to pull that off extremely well AFAIK.

good advice depending on what kind of person OP is. i couldn't get into linux through ubuntu because it's boring as shit. ended up starting with arch and got hooked on all the customization.
i'd recommend debian (pick your own DE). it'll be more work up front than ubuntu but it gives you more room to grow. you'll probably end up sticking with debian or fedora if you're looking for a somewhat advanced distro that still just werks.... or you could fall down the gentoo/arch/slackware/void/etc. rabbit hole.

The fedora distro is a feature testing bed for redhat they use it to test new features before implementing it to redhat you are redhats bitch who does testing and bug reporting ( this happens in background even if you disable it ) to fedora creators.

>OpenSUSE
Is based off of Slackware

The reason why I keep telling you to test these in virtualbox VMs is because sitting here and watching us autistic people argue about our favorite distros is only going to make you more confused.
Download this
virtualbox.org/
Download the .iso files of whatever distros you want to try.
Try each one.
Form your own opinions.

Fake news

If you do happen to use openSUSE, though I'd just recommend getting one of the *ubuntus, definitely use KDE with it as it has a great KDE implementation.

thanks mate, i just feel like im being trolled by everyone here

i guess i will just use ubuntu which was my original idea since it is a tested one with bitcoin core and the most recommended one for newbies, i just got scared since stallman said it had spyware but apparently it has now been fixed

i doubt they are stupid enough to try to get away with it again

Op do as follows
Have pc with two hdds
Install windows on one
Ubuntu latest lts on other
change boot order depending on what you want to do
Windows for gaming
Ubuntu for all else
Never open a browser in windows
I even downloaded my steam client in Ubuntu and xfer it over
Imo best set up
Never had any issues since

And after you install ubuntu google things to do after installing ubuntu
Read some guides
Dont listen to these elitefags

>company used to distribute Slackware
>"based off Slackware"
Stop spreading made up shit.

yeah, i understand there are millions, i just said the 3 most mentioned here so far are these 3

i know how to use an VM

the problem with your method is... what can i really assess by trying them myself? im not a programer. im just going to see a desktop, different guis... so what?

i just want to know what one is easy to use and safe, that get updates, then run the bitcoin core wallet there. it will no be my main system anyway so i dont need it to be perfect GUi wise

also im sure any of these have all kinds of options to change the desktop theme, re allocate how the taskbar looks etc so i dont see why worry about that, and that is the only thing that a non programmer like me could discern between them

i have delibered therefore that i just will install ubuntu, dont visit stupid websites, and dont install anything that isnt listed in the synaptic manager thing

Glad you're finding your answer. Ubuntu is a great way to start using Linux.

Oh, well. I don't give a shit if I'm doing bug reporting for that.

Try Ubuntu you'll get mad and end up switching to opensuse when you notice the bloat and the constant breaking.

yeah i will do that once i buy a new computer with SSD so switching between OS isnt a pain in the ass

for now i will need 2 partitions and the bitcoin blockchain files will need to be on the "data" partition which is shared with windows because otherwise i will run out of space

but i dont see that as a relevant risk. the client, wallet files etc will be on the ubuntu partition

the blockchain files arent relevant afaik, they are just encrypted blocks afaik

That was really the main thing I was suggesting, since you seemed confused about the different Desktop Environments, and I thought trying them in a VM would let you actually see what each one looks like.
Although it doesn't really matter. You've decided on Ubuntu, and I think you made a good choice there.

>the bloat
Unlikely, but maybe yes.

>the constant breaking
HOW would you ever break Ubuntu?

MINT
I
N
T

XFCE
F
C
E

just install this and stop wasting our time.
it's as close to where your winshit urges will push you

>windows 10 of linux distros
>still tries to defend it.

Get Kubuntu. It doesn't have any Amazon shit

He won't notice the bloat. I don't think he's autistic enough for that. If it does break for him (which I highly doubt), then he can always try out some other distro then, but if Ubuntu will work for him let him use the thing

Ubuntu doesn't have it either. we've already covered this.

picking a distro basically comes down to choosing a package manager. that's the most important choice. if i were you, i'd use something with aptitude because you'll still be able to install proprietary software binaries like you're used to with windows (e.g. steam).

That's not true. Look at ubuntu, look at mint, look at void.
See any difference ?
Right. There's the package manager of course.
But for a total noob, there's also the "will he give up after two hours" factor.
And vanilla ubuntu has a real shit interface.

That is about the most retarded thing I've ever heard, and I've seen some major retardation on this board over the years. Fedora is not a testbed for red hat you dumb mong. It's totally community driven, and the only thing the red hat developers contribute to it is the shit they contribute upstream.

The two distributions have totally different target use cases. CentOS is the gratis, non-enterprise red hat. Not Fedora. And neither are a testbed for RHEL. Red hat uses actual real QA/QC and paid testers for that.

Choke on your fucking ramen, weeb faggot.

Yeah everyone just posts whatever distro they use instead of what's actually the best for a beginner.
Still, at least try out some of the Ubuntu variants in a VM before installing one of them.

ubuntu, mint, and void all use different package managers. what is your point? mine is that the package manager should be the first consideration, before you even begin looking at things like default DEs.

Just install Ubuntu Gnome 16.04
Thank me later

>winfag
Try ZorinOS Lite then install compton.

>spewing nonsense to defend shitty os instead of looking at source code.

Its a test bed you Mongoloid it has always been since release that's what the purpose was. Red hat used to be open source they took the then open source redhat made it closed source and caused many to switch to different oses ( at the time gentoo became a viable alternative) many were mad, since it went closed source. Since going closed source there was always crashes and major problems with new features in redhat especially around internet connectivity , redhat decided to solve this by create an open source testing environment where they can test the new features before going live on redhat.

too bad it's so outdated

yeah now you just have to go and 'diff whatever.conf whatever.conf.pacnew' for every fucking config file it would have replaced

ot sage
i actually really like arch

What's this?

Looks like GitKracken. I personally prefer SourceTree.

Gitkraken it a git ui based off electron great when you have different git accounts I.e gitlab , bitbucket and github only downside is you need to pay to compare code I.e fixmerge issues

You'd probably enjoy Mint more, especially since Ubuntu uses Gnome now, which is completely unintuitive for a Windows user. Mint looks and works pretty much like Windows.

I dislike gnome but that looks really cozy wallpaper please ?

Just use Debian. Or stay on Windows.

If he wants deprecated packages with ease of use use zorin. There is flat out no reason to touch mint.its just a shittier Ubuntu older packages more bloat.

But with MUCH better DE. Unity sucked ass, but Gnome is even worse.
Though I guess he could go with kubuntu or xubuntu.

>Never open a browser in windows
Explain further. Is it worth the hassle?

>implying unity and gnome are only options.

This is like saying you don't want to buy a house since you didn't like the color of the bed sheets so you settle for a tiny shitty cabin that's falling apart since it had nicer bed sheets

>Winfag here. I want into Linux.
Answer honestly, what will you do on it.

GitKraken yeah.

c1.staticflickr.com/9/8611/16457479519_71367787fa_o.jpg

Here you go senpai.

>hey guys, I don't know a single thing about Linux
>I want to install it anyways
>instead of reading the archive on this exact fucking topic, which we have every single day, or reading online for this stuff, I'm going to make a thread about it because it definitely won't pit Linux users against each other as each supporter of each distribution explains why theirs is the best

I don't feel like nothing has changed.
>manjaro masterrace

Don't be a sad cunt, he's offering sexy pics, which is more than this board has ever given.

I'm all for the pics, but people like him should learn to use the archive.

Everything you just said is completely wrong. Red Hat is, and always has been, open source.

sudo apt install cinnamon.

Linux Mints is your best option.

it's based on Ubuntu, withouth the amazon Shit, and It comes with preinstalled codecs and other shit.

It's ready to use out of the box.

When you get more experience using loonix, try another distros.

Get linux mint mate or cinnamon, it's like windows.

First of all the only 100% stable DE is Xfce period. Don't bother with any other, they are still (and will ever be) in """""""development""""""". Ignore faggots that will tell you "MY DE LOOKS GREAT! WHO CARES IF IT'S A BIT UNSTABLE!" or "Duh, this DE is super stable as long as you don't touch anything and use it only with my cherrypicked distro".

Noob proof
>Manjaro, Xubuntu.

NOT noob proof
>CentOS, Debian.

Sort of in between
>OpenSUSE Xfce.

That's it. don't waste a second with other shit. LXDE is also 100% stable BUT it's in active development, which means it may not be 100% stable in the future. Xfce development has more of a "if it's not broken don't mess with it" policy.