phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-opensource-10&num=1
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

never
they only release them on real OS's

>Linux drivers

it depends how much torvalds pays amd to contribute development

W A I T © ™ ®

Linux 4.15 if the patchset gets accepted.

WAAAAAIIIITTTT

>his OS doesnt even have drivers for his gpu
>he still shills it
KEK

More like AMD launched Vega with no consumer drivers period, they made the pro ones and said, "Yeah good enough." Only AMD can delay something a year and it still feels rushed.

download the free drivers and compile the kernel yourself
dont ask me how. i cant find a guide anywhere

>amd
>drivers

Apparently the open source driver outperforms the AMD driver.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=rx-vega-linux1&num=1

lmao still with the AMD (lack of) drivers in the year of our lord 2017.

AMD works better in Linux as of 2017. Stay mad Nvidtel.

better than what?

Every time I've tried ATI or AMD graphics in Linux has been a disaster.

What distro and what card?

Time release vega 20 to server.

Radeon HD 5970 on Ubuntu LTS 14.04 was my latest attempt.

Except with RX VEGA cards which don't work at all - for now.

I do believe that the current DAL/DC patches will get into kernel 4.15. This would also make some basics for earlier cards like freesync and audio over DisplayPort and HDMI work.

I am guessing few of you know this but this DAL/DC code has been around for a long time now. Not in it's current state but it's been there. A few kernel developers, specially one, deemed it to be unsuitable spaghetti code and rejected it time and time again.

That must have been a long, long time ago. I've been using AMD cards on GNU/Linux (since nvidia cards are a broken joke on that platform) for decades now with zero problems.

I'm guessing you're just lying and not even using GNU/Linux. Of course.. it has been quite a long time since there was something called ATI and I only had a few ATI card in my time.

>Radeon HD 5970
That's a nice card, it's actually the worlds fastest graphics card.

Source: Tom's hardware. tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5970,2474.html

nvidia shills BTFO, the 5970 is the worlds fastest, faster than your 1080ti. Says so right there in the headline.

>nvidia cards are a broken joke in GNU/Linux
NVIDIA has always been ahead in functionality, performance and stability on Linux. That hasn't changed.

Unless you want passthrough.

Right up until the point where it never ever wakes up from sleep. And god forbid you try to use Optimus.

>laptops
This is the state of Sup Forums in 2017.

If you're using NVIDIA or AMD graphics in a laptop you're doing it wrong.

What is stopping a bunch of weeb autists with infinite free time to develop FOSS Drivers?

Nothing except for how difficult it is. Off you go.

You must be joking.

nvidia has made it impossible for the free mesa drivers to do proper power management on their card so performance is horrible. And their closed driver lacks support for basics like gbm, nvidia insists that everyone use their garbage closed and propietary eglstreams (which nobody but nvidia supports) but very few submit to their silly demands.

no amount of shill fag-talk will change the simple fact that nvidia cards are a non-option for GNU/Linux.

You'd know all of this if you were actually using GNU/Linux and made the mistake of buying a nvidia card. Luckily my brother is a windows-using gamer so it wasn't a complete waste.

That's what AMD is doing, basically letting the community write their drivers for them for free. AMD only has to worry about making their GPU's usable for professionals.

no YOU must be joking. You won't find many people more optimistic about AMD video on Linux than Michael Larabel but even he admits the open source driver for AMD wasn't usable until 2015 and has only in 2017 begun to be competitive with NVIDIA.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-opensource-10&num=1

You girls obviously haven't paid much attention to the kernel development the last year.

AMD did put mostly working AMDGPU DAL/DC code out there a long, long time ago, even before the RX VEGA card was released.

This code wasn't up to kernel standards and it was rejected time and time again. You could use the patchset with kernel 4.9 if you wanted to. You can use it with the current kernel. It will very likely be accepted into 4.15 in it's current state.

You girls clearly haven't been paying much attention to MESA either. Both AMD and Intel have paid developers working full-time on improving the state of OpenGL and Vulcan on Linux.

I don't care about his opinion and I don't need to. I switched back when Windows 98 was popular. I know how the Voodoo 3 2000 worked with GNU/Linux and I know how ATI cards worked and I know how AMD cards have worked since then. I also know that nvidia cards with their binary blobs have been so problematic that it's not been worth using it.

(I'm not the guy you're responding to)
I used to have a GTX 970 in my desktop. It was so unpleasant I went out and bought a new whole graphics card just so I wouldn't have to put up with the NVIDIA drivers anymore. They fucked up the KDE UI in random ways, multi monitor was a horrible ordeal and if I put the machine to sleep it would never wake up again. I tried to use it for passthrough as well with another GPU, that was so awful it isn't even worth talking about. Think I had tearing issues too but I can't remember.

I now have RX 480s in both my Linux desktop and my girlfriend's one. The only problem we've encountered is that audio over DisplayPort doesn't work because DAL isn't in the kernel yet, everything else works utterly flawlessly.

>problematic
Problematically stable, performant, and feature rich, I guess, since your personal goal is to shill for AMD.

I've been running NVIDIA on Ubuntu LTS since 8.04 (8800 GT back then). GTX 780 today and I have encountered zero issues.

>Shilling this hard
Wanna try?
>Install Nvidia proprietary drivers
>Configure Xorg
>Update Xorg without updating the drivers (this is common because of slow repo updates or things like AUR)
>???
>Profit
This is the thing that made people say that Arch breaks with every update.

> girlfriends linux desktop
Not sure if true or just me being too envious to accept that.

>audio over DisplayPort doesn't work because DAL
I'm honestly a but puzzled as to exactly why this is and why those AMD developers keep pointing to DAL/DC code when I've asked about this.

Audio over HDMI and DisplayPort works just fine with the kernel radeon driver. It's flawless on the 7850 with that one, no problem. It's a GCN card so it's also supported by AMDGPU and there's no audio with that kernel driver. My RX 470 isn't supported by that one so amdgpu is the only choice - and there's no HDMI audio (I'm still using an old surround receiver over SPDIF with ALSA's AC3 plugin because why buy a new one unless I can use HDMI?).

I am guessing there's some reason why they put it in with the DAL/DC code but I strongly suspect they could have given us HDMI/DisplayPort more than a year ago.

I actually read that article. Yes, he does point out that the AMDGPU driver got pretty good in 2015. That's the driver for the latest generation cards and this obviously doesn't say anything about the r600, radeonsi and earlier drivers. You'd have known this if you had actually used GNU/Linux with various graphics cards for years. You obviously haven't since you're grasping at straws with your shilly fag-talk.

>configuring xorg in the year of our lord 2017
What are you even configuring? I haven't had to deal with Xorg at all for probably 3-4 years.

Ok this is just bait now

My girlfriend uses Linux too, she's the Michiru that used to insult pedo-Sup Forums in desktop threads

Welcome in the world of Nvidia drivers. Thanks god I have a 480 now

It's true but I configured it, she doesn't know a great deal, can probably clone a git repo and just about open, edit and save a file with vim.

have you tried using Xorg with nvidias binary blob those last 3-4 years? try and you'll see why he's talking about. good luck.

Yes I primarily use NVIDIA proprietary. Are you guys talking about laptops or some shit?

I've certainly had to configure Xorg on desktop as recently as early-mid 2016 (when using NVIDIA's blob).

Laptops aren't even worth talking about. I've literally lost days to that crap.

What on Earth are you people even going on about? I have a GTX 960 and you literally just type sudo nvidia-xconfig and everything just werks. The worst thing that can happen is screen tearing which is usually one line of code. the only other time I've really needed to edit Xorg is to edit the EDID values of my monitor to manually overclock it.

What are you talking about? I type sudo service lightdm stop, then sudo ./NVIDIA-385.13.run.sh or whatever the latest driver is, follow the prompts, then sudo service lightdm start and that's it. I never do anything to configure xorg.

I don't configure Xorg, you can just set up a basic one automatically with the nvidia-settings package.

I'm aware you can do that, but it's dumb and totally unnecessary for 99% of users. I literally have no xorg.conf file.

Interesting note on the MESA back-end drivers for this card,

> get RX 560 for HTPC
> can't play 10-bit HEVC with MESA's vdpau backend because it doesn't support 10-bit and nvidia's abandoned vdpau so it'll never work
> playing 10-bit HEVC with vaapi and the MESA backend works but there's a massive memory leak since Intel kept on changing the API and the code for where memory should be cleared
> playing 20 minutes of 10-bit HEVC fills 16 GB of system memory with current vaapi drivers
> CPU on the system is too weak to play 4k HEVC

This is just silly. I could.. like re-encode every 10-bit HEVC to 8-bit .... or wait(tm) until vaapi 2.0 and packages linked with it are ready and updated .. or just buy a new motherboard and new CPU and DDR4 RAM.

>That must have been a long, long time ago. I've been using AMD cards on GNU/Linux (since nvidia cards are a broken joke on that platform) for decades now with zero problems.

>decades now with zero problems
>decades now
back to /r/amd you lying sack of shit

I still have a motherboard with on-board r600 graphics and 128 MB RAM in the basement. If you pay me 0.1 BTC then I'll go get it and prove it with a picture. I'll even connect it to a PSU and a HDD and show you a screenfetch if you pay me 0.2 BTC. The choice is yours, pay me to prove it or pretend I'l lying for some reason.

Of course these days the r600's use the gallium driver and that's not the one I was using at the time.

Here's a suggestion.Have you considered killing yourself?It'd be beneficial to your mental health.

>RX 560
>NVIDIA's abandoned....
what?

First VDPAU works fine under linux on NVIDIA. RX 560 isn't NVIDIA though, so I don't know what you're trying to say.

(Not the guy you're replying to)
I'm all for paying you to do awkward things, but 600 Euro to dig something out of your basement and 1200 Euro to turn it on? That's a bit much.

>decades
KYS illiterate pajeet

Fine, here's another (You)

>thrice
that takes me back

>20+ years
now kys

So, you were using RAGE cards on Linux?

I have one so I can switch my host GPU back and forth on login for GPU passthrough and to fix some screen tearing issues with xfce on intel iGPU.

It's built right into the mainline 4.14

um, sweetie, the open source driver is an AMD driver as in written by AMD employees on behalf of AMD.

nope.

>as of 2017
>HD5970
Lol

explain jewvidia blocking KVM then?

AMD already has their own free driver and Nvidia keeps gimping nouveau with shit like signed firmware so even if you had infinite weebs trying to reverse engineer that shit they wouldn't get far.

So laptops should come with no actual graphics?
The absolute state of basement dwellers

Except when you try to use Wayland, but why would you want to be progressive right?

>Gayming on Linux
Unless you're mining, but might aswell do it on the botnet of Windows

>nvidiots pretending that nvidia has better drivers for their hardware on linux
Lmao

More than just amd, but mostly AMD developers.

Why do they even do that? It's obvious they are not trying to gimp performance. Performance would be always lower on free drivers because of lack of driver optimizations (tm). So the reason is probably to prevent linux gaming using their marketshare. Are they afraid of linux gaming becoming a thing? Do they think it will lead to consumers moving to amd?

>Nvidia has one click install proprietary drivers, but shit FOSS drivers
>AMD has no drivers at all unless you heavily patch a custom kernel, something literally no newb to Linux is going to bother with
Wow, almost looks like you're fucked either way. Linux has no support for Vega at all yet, sure X will start but that's it. There's the proprietary AMDGPU-PRO package, but it's written for ancient kernels unlike Nvidia which is kept up to date.

no, it's because IP and internal bureaucracy slows everything down. For example, AMD has no official F/OS Vulkan Linux driver, because they *have* a vulkan driver in AMDGPU-PRO but they (at least) recognize the time it takes to publish that through lawyers making it IP-law proof, would take eons. So they're just paying some of their employees to work on it as a "side project" that is "not endorsed by AMD", which I guess clears patent and IP law, so they can go with it

Jokes on you, tried both and most of the times the nvidia prop drivers (because the foss ones are the definition of trash) break at the smallest kernel update.
People who expect vega to have the same reliable drivers on Linux as nvidia are delusional, considering how new their platform is, it's still pretty decent.

>break at the smallest kernel update.
That's what DKMS is for.

Why do they tamper with free drivers though?

Which i remember having it set up properly.
I just ended up using a Debian based Distro because i couldn't have dealt with that shit at the moment

no, I don't think you get it.
Every "-board" days is actually several computers put together. There's a computer inside CPU's literally dedicated to regulating the CPU's and making sure the CPU doesn't go batshit crazy and break. There's a CPU on the motherboard to make sure the voltage regulators for each and every bus, capacitor, and transistor is correct. There's a CPU for modern software boosts, such as hardware codecs.

All these need firmware, which is what NVidia releases in those "signed blobs". Low level assembly or C code, written into the hardware as embedded software. Writing this firmware requires expert and insider knowledge about the hardware, that basically only those at the company have. So, theoretically, one *could* reverse engineer the intended firmware architecture for main thinking unit controlling the bus regulators and capacitors, but you'd have to be insanely brilliant. Linus-level quality programmer.

So, long story short, NVidia is the only company that can put out this firmware, simply because, not out of evil or anything. AMD does the samething. AMDGPU is the firmware, and everything else is userspace.

On top of that, they release a signature on the firmware, because my guess is the free firmware they release is actually the proprietary firmware, but you can't just give IP like that away. Any one and everyone could use that against Nvidia, in so many ways im not going to explain - patent and IP law are an entire career for many lawyers.

Thus, when one engineer says "hey can we release this firmware blob" they're going through a month long chain of command.

Nvidia isnt fucking with their F/OS driver, its just simply how slow proprietary code changes move. It's not fast bimonthly updates like amdgpu, because proprietary code is shitty for a million reasons.

How can you shill something that is free?

i know this belongs on /sqt/ but why can't 3rd party devs make drivers? i suppose you need some kind of schematics to make them? also can't one just reverse engineer them? but then they would be illegal i suppose.

3rd party devs can make drivers but as I explained here that's simply not a sustainable option. One way or another, you need to be able to reference anything hardware related in that code, as if you had a handbook of the hardware, or it was a map, and you knew the map by heart.

But this is silicon refined to the nanometer now. You just....you can't. The "F/OS" driver for Linux from amd is just AMD keeping the hardware schematics private and providing that to employees who are coincidentally paid to work on side projects related to Linux drivers all day.

The most successful modern 3rd party F/OS driver is probably Freedreno, and that's a fucking ARM driver. Nowhere near as complicated as the desktop GPU's