What programming language should I learn first?

What programming language should I learn first?

What is the easiest to learn and would be profitable right away?

I was thinking java or python, seeing as I have some experience with python.

I'm tired of just being helpdesk, even tho I'm between level 2/3.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_(programming_language)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Whitespace en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_(programming_language)

Java. Python is great for throwing shit together but it's not an OO language.

Python
>syntax is easy
>good documentation and tutorials
>15,000 job postings on indeed.com

Java is also very good, but the syntax is a little more difficult. 22,000 jobs on indeed, and you'll also learn more through java

>What programming language should I learn first?
It doesn't matter.

>What is the easiest to learn and would be profitable right away?
Wouldn't ease of learning be inversely proportional to profitability? Also, how easy a programming language is to learn is subjective.

>I was thinking java or python, seeing as I have some experience with python.
It doesn't matter. Pick one that is interesting to you. No one is going to hire you because you studied a language for 3 months so there is no rush. And there is no wrong choice.

>I'm tired of just being helpdesk, even tho I'm between level 2/3.
Nothing wrong with wanted to better yourself. But asking for help on an anime imageboard is silly IMO. Teach yourself a language. Take some classes (invest in your future). Do well in your classes (stand out) so you can have references. References can trump experience and competency so don't underestimate the power of impressing your professors.

Good luck.

Actually it is. But op should still learn Java.

I know this really isn't the best place to ask but certainly not the worst.

Here I can actually get some answers, while google gives me a short description of both languages and no answer.

I am a CS graduate with my course leaning towards Windows server administration and it included some programming with Pascal and Basic from teachers who had to google the commands and who were basically learning with us.

I picked up a book about python while I was in school and started learning it on my spare time but got sidetracked.
Now I want to pick things up again and so far Java sounds better for me and it certainly helps that it's used in Android.

And I know that the harder languages should pay better, but I'm looking for a start in programming that would be profitable as soon as possible and wouldn't want to make me kill myself.

Also I read that learning Java is a good way to get into C and C++ later.

OOP IN LOO

You should learn Lisp because that's what Richard Stallman suggests.

learn Java's even actually get a job and provide something to humanity that is actually of some substance.

C. most languages nowadays are inspired by or made with it and use similar syntax, and it's good for learning how a computer actually works. it's also the closest language to how ab computer actually works, and allows you to switch between high and low level programming at ease.

>And I know that the harder languages should pay better, but I'm looking for a start in programming that would be profitable as soon as possible and wouldn't want to make me kill myself.

Well, if you don't like programming to begin with, you'll going want to kill yourself no matter what.

If you're on the east coast, Java. It's by far the better language for getting a job here. And if you want to learn javascript, html, and web junk you can make an easy six-figures as a full-stack dev at any small - medium firm (corporation and enjoy a job that's stable for 1-2 years before they figure out you're an idiot, and you'll likely get great benefits. Keep in mind corporation, not business, like 200 - 3000 people companies.

Don't get lowballed by recruiters though, full-stack should be 90-120k but you'll find recruiters basically demanding fullstack for 60-70k quite often. They're vicious, like sharks, and will harass you if you make your profile public. Not your friends, but they can be useful if you really want a job and fast.

Thanks for the great advice.
I'm on the west coast, but in Canada. Originally from Europe and I have experience from many different countries and I'm no stranger to people wanting to lowball wages.

>serving people instead of serving yourself and doing what makes you happy because you're insecure on your value
kek

Vancouver? It's startup Central over there

You're never going to be anything more than a QA tester

the fking ignorance in this forum

Brainfuck, learn this

C is comfy

Learn this
>JAVA
>Basic software patterns
>SQL
>Spring + Hibernate
>Git
>Algorithms (Algorithms 4th by segedwick is enough for a start)
>HTML + CSS + JS(angular and jquery should be enough for a start)

Now apply for a trainee/inter on some worldwide company. Its better to get job at big company, because
1. they have enough money to risk and check if you are good enough or train you
2. Big company that is respectable around the world will open doors later if you have 1+ year of experience.

Later you should read book like Discrete math with applications by epp and learn some low level language in free time, so you will have the big picture of how it works behind layers of abstraction and do nto forget about networks, client server communication is important in java pajeet jobs.

Good luck

Not OP but this is what puts me off applying for some jobs, I know Java very well and am familiar with SQL etc. but these software dev jobs now have a list as long as my arm of technologies they want you to know. Which as far as I see it is fucking pointless anyway as most of that shit takes probably like 5 mins to pick up on the job.

I've got a background in web design, I'm excellent with HTML and CSS and decent in JS. Is webdev a meme, and should I continue with front end or just go full stack? I'm desperate for a job at the moment because I can't live off no income whatsoever. What's the best course of action at the moment?