/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

pearsonsupport.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/223/0/why-am-i-getting-a-browser-cookie-error-when-i-try-to-log-in
forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-chroot-into-an-encrypted-root-partition/10760
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_a_non-root_file_system
twitter.com/AnonBabble

newbie here. is the livecd version of xubuntu not supposed to have any sort of software center? can't find the ubuntu one or the gnome one

What the fuck are you even trying to ask? If you're going to spam your question, at least take a second to think about whether or not what you're writing is comprehensible.

you don't need a software center

s-sorry. i'm new to this. i'm talking about the place where you install programs to your computer. in xbuntu it used to be the ubuntu software center but in 16.04 i saw they switched to the gnome one and i can't find either on my livecd of it. i just want to know if this is normal or not before installing it.
i know i could use the terminal but i'd prefer not to have to.

Why would you need a software center in a live medium? Why would that even be an issue? You do realize that the software installed on your hdd via that live medium isn't a mirror of that live medium, right? God damnit, it's two fucking words in a terminal emulator, and then you don't have to think about it ever again. These are millennials, everyone. Struggles to write a coherent sentence, terrified to write a stupid one-liner in bash, writing text in general, because the education system has failed them so abominably that they're literally terrified of words.

jesus christ, take your psychosis pills. i just wanted to be sure my iso wasn't messed up in any way. i know i wouldn't need the software center in a live medium, i just want to know if it not being there in a live medium is normal.

You're too stupid to live.

t. arch linux psued

If it makes you feel better, you can believe whatever you want.

>Ask a question
>Get a good answer
>Forget the answer and get mad because somebody hurt my feelings

>ask question
>get called stupid for asking a question
sorry where's the answer here?

Everyone loses.

its right there:

guys I just found the perfect thing to put into your .bashrc

it starts a process detatched from your shell/terminal, wont pollute your terminal with any output and wont die if you close the terminal / shell.

stfu() {
( "$@" & disown -h ) &>/dev/null
}

run as "stfu cmd arg1 arg2 etc". thank me later

>You do realize that the software installed on your hdd via that live medium isn't a mirror of that live medium, right?

Zsh has a command that does this by default.

Sorry for the unfriendly people in this thread. Your question is absolutely valid and I would expect a software center as well on a live ISO. If it's not there install one via CLI. You can install the one from GNOME

You're literally just repeating answers that were already given.

what is it?

i know i could use the terminal. it's just weird there isn't an alternative where there's supposed to be. i'm assuming it's only because it's a live session but i just want to be sure
i honestly don't understand what this has to do with my question. if i'm in a live session, i'm not using my hdd at all
alright. weird. what's the command for installing it?

You fucking moron. Just because you wrap up an answer in a friendly facade doesn't mean your voice is more valid or constructive than that of other people. Do you want a good answer or a polite answer? Because while they're not mutually exclusive, you shouldn't train people to expect a hugbox when they ask something that should already know. Criticism is what encourages people to become better. If you jerk off a retard asking a pedestrian question, they're never going to find the incentive to learn.
I think it was &!. I can't remember, because I haven't used Zsh in a while, but it's really a shame that people put down Zsh because of all the retarded ricers, because Zsh is has a lot of subtle features that make it a fantastic shell to interact with, if not script with.

>alright. weird. what's the command for installing it?
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Not stupid, just lazy. Too lazy to even read a manual.

your psychotic ranting isn't constructive because you say it is

>I think it was &!
cool, but that only does the disown -h part, you still have to silence it with "&>/dev/null"
"stfu" is quicker to write :)

There's nothing wrong with Zsh. Why do you have to be such a psychopath and rail on Zsh in such an unwarranted way? Totally uncalled for. This is a FRIENDLY thread, if you weren't already aware.

user...are you dumb?

The software center is right there.

Why not just use a runner?

is that how you're supposed to do it? i read that it was officially implemented in the 16.04 documentation but i guess not

It was in the applications menu right under Pidgin, as "Software".

I used scrot to take the screenshot.

I know what you mean. I think much of the appeal of Zsh is the fact that it assimilates those features by default, allowing for a higher precedent when creating aliases. Same with the plugins, even if I don't care for oh-my-zsh. A few people might go the extra mile to add that alias to their bashrc, but what about the majority of people that don't care? And what about the machines that you aren't using your bashrc on? That's actually probably Zsh's Achilles heel, though, considering it needs to be customized and doesn't really have a viable default state. It works well when it's shipped with a live medium like SystemRescueCD--although, I suppose in that case bash could be sufficient, too, but that would take a rather thoughtful distributor to pull off.

grml uses a nicely riced zsh by default too.

oh fuck, i really am stupid. thanks.

Where do I get a Linux gf

Install Gentoo

>A few people might go the extra mile to add that alias to their bashrc
I dont know who you are, but the fact that you called my function an "alias" makes me question your competence.
it's in fact impossible to do using an alias

Er, sorry, I wasn't thinking. You know what I mean, right?

Linux is comfy, bros.

is way land good?

only way to use gnome on gentoo now is with way land

I'm gonna peruse all the links in the OP in bits, in the meantime:
1) How do I access my C: drive while booted via Live USB?
2) I want to install Linux (Mint) to replace windows, which is on one of two partitions on my HD, and preserve the second part. Will selecting "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" be the right option, or will that wipe the whole disk?

its not even the terminal though, just use synaptic if you want a gui for packages

>How do I access my C: drive while booted via Live USB?
if the live USB has the appropriate drivers you can jsut mount.
#mount /dev/sdxy /path/to/mountpoint
assuming your drive is sda1 and you want to mount it in /mnt/c-drive:
#mkdir -p /mnt/c-drive
#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/c-drive

>Will selecting "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" be the right option, or will that wipe the whole disk?
it will wipe the whole disk

how do I highlight commands?

#mount /dev/sda /mnt/sda

read the sticky

thanks!

here is my favorite command

sed -i "s/\[code\]/\[\code]/"

get a girlfriend that doesn't play games and convert her.
Much easier

Can I somehow remap the screen brightness curve in KDE? Only about the first 1/3 of the scale is usable, the brightness barely changes in the remaining 2/3.

> is way land good?
Not enough for me to switch.

> only way to use gnome on gentoo now is with way land
Doesn't sound true to me.

Guys, I fucked up really bad. I deleted my Debian partition on Windows and merged most of it with the rest of my HDD, leaving enough room for Arch. Now the Grub is fucked beyond repair and the only thing I have is Arch (terminal) in my USB stick. What should I do?

Grub can usually be repaired though, grub-install and grub-mkconfig is usually enough.

And why not just install Arch if that's what you planned to do?

The partition I left for Arch isn't showing up when I type fdisk -l, I suspect the reason is that it's still unformatted. I don't want to lose all my files so I'm not sure how to proceed.

>update-grub

Then you add it with fdisk or cfdisk or whatever you like, and format it with mkfs.ext4 or xfs or btrfs whatever you like there.

PS: Of course you can also put LVM on the partition before you make a filesystem. It's really your choice. That said you might want to open a web page for that one at least, unlike fdisk / cfdisk you'd not already understand the terminology of the LVM utilities from just knowing computers.

>cfdisk
Sweet, worked like a charm, I'll continue from here. Thanks, user.

can anybody help? This pops up every time I try to access a Pearson's website through Firefox. I'm using Xubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Could it be this?
pearsonsupport.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/223/0/why-am-i-getting-a-browser-cookie-error-when-i-try-to-log-in

Either way, its related to the website, not to Linux.

> related to website
yes that's also what I've thought, especially because this issue only happens on two computers out of 20 in my school. BTW thank you very much for providing that link, I'll check it out and see if it works.

I finally got my internet back after 40-something days of outage thanks to hurricane Maria. I updated my Arch install, and now it won't boot. All it says is [Firmware Bug]: TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errate; please update microcode to version: 0x22 (or later) I checked the wiki and the error seems to be solved by a microcode update, but all of the instances of the error seem to not cause problems with booting. How the fuck do I fix this?

Wait, this actually stops it from booting on Arch? Strange.

> How the fuck do I fix this?
My guess is by just mounting it in a live cd's chroot and installing all updates including kernel and the package containing that microcode.

Thanks

>How do I access my C: drive while booted via Live USB?
I have 5 HDs connected & accessible, including the other partition (D:) on the drive with C:. I can't seem to mount my old C: partition. Hell I can't evenseem to mkdir, nothing gets mked.

usually # means you need some form of root privileges (sudo, su, root account) to run the command. if you actually type the # it gets interpreted as a comment and wont do anything

Oh lawd thank yous. Thank you for the freebie, latter user.

>Thank you for the freebie, latter user.

What's the difference between

/home

and

$HOME?

/home is directory
$HOME is a variable

I'm trying to mount the luks partition, but when I use sudo mount -t fstype /dev/mapper/name /mnt/home i get mount: /dev/mapper/root is already mounted or /mnt busy. I try to chroot, but I get an error that it can't find /bin/boot/. Am I just going to have to nuke it all?

And I tried using arch-chroot /mnt and I get mount: mount point /mnt/proc does not exist

Your shit is already mounted.

Follow the arch wiki to know what mount points you need to mount for a working system in your chroot.

Not supposed to literally type fstype, you replace it with the actual type of the filesystem you have on it (ext4, etc)

So where is it mounting to? The arch wiki and everywhere I've looked says it needs to be manually mounted to /mnt. Yet when I use umount on /mnt it says there is nothing there

/mnt isnt a mounted filesystem...its where you mount file systems at

Reboot and unfuck your system and then come back having followed the archwiki with the mount points needed to successfully use arch-chroot

SO the wiki says the mounting proceedure for luks works for everyhting except root. So how the fuck do I mount a luks root partition to chmod with?

>SO the wiki says the mounting proceedure for luks works for everyhting except root
The fuck are you even reading?
>So how the fuck do I mount a luks root partition
Read the luks wiki page
>to chmod with
chmod has nothing to do with this

Anyone else having issues exporting their proxies to wine or playonlinux with the latest update?

Also, the following guide forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-chroot-into-an-encrypted-root-partition/10760 is for exactly the thing I'm doing, yet it fails on mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt with the message mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'.

Actually playonlinux works fine. It's just steam not using my proxy anymore.

This is what I'm reading. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_a_non-root_file_system
When I use # cryptsetup --type luks open device name
# mount -t fstype /dev/mapper/name /mnt/home it says that it's already mounted or that /mnt is busy. I'm trying to mount it so I can chroot and repair my broken install because the arch retards broke everything for the upteenth time.

>manjaro
Theres your problem
>lvm
You need to setup the lvm before you can mount it.

Did you create /mnt/home so you can mount to it?

So how the fuck can I mount a root partition from luks? The arch wiki procedure says its not for root. I'm starting to think reinstalling everything from scratch will be easier.

i hate how the userland is such a mess, the kernel is great and works very well for servers, but GNOME, and most of the basic apps are somewhat of an unstable mess, GTK2, GTK3, Qt toolkits are creating a UI interface that is inconsistent and often buggy.

It's pretty obvious why: the kernel is sponsored by many companies, and has the funding and organization to be developed and maintained.

The userland on the other hand, and for the most part, applications, are mostly developed by small groups of people who only seem to develop in their free time and do so to expand their resume to work, this means that skilled developers will leave and use their time and skills to make money working for money rather than nothing.

If I mkfs on the opened luks device, will it nuke my data? The lvm wiki article says I should makefs to mount an lvm

>The arch wiki procedure says its not for root
You mount shit the same way bruh.
Its the same commands i dont know why you are so hold up on "for root" and "not for root". Its literally the same commands.

>reinstall
Dont fucking use manjaro and have it do shit you dont understand how to do. This is what happens when you use downstream distros, when shit hits the fan, you have no clue how to fix it because you were hand held the entire time

Are you seriously this stupid?
Like fucking seriously?
Read the wiki page RELEVANT to what you are doing. If you're setting up a new filesystem then yes, but is that what you are doing now? No. Find the commands you need to use from the wiki and fix it

Is reading a wiki really that hard?

The comands the wiki says I should yous are not fucking working. The section the wiki says for manually mounting luks partitions isn't fucking working.

Then you're retarded and should install windows.

So much for friendly. How the fuck am I supposed to learn if the faggots I ask are unhelpful pieces of shit? I've been without power for 40 fucking days, is it so terrible I'm fucking lost because shitty arch installed like 500 updates?

Neat. Thank you!

>How the fuck am I supposed to learn if the faggots I ask are unhelpful pieces of shit?
By reading. I'm assuming reading comprehension is massive skill you never learned. You also arent entitled to tech support on this board, this board wasn't created for tech support.

Your problem can be solved by following the wiki properly and not skipping steps or typing shit incorrectly.

I'm reading the entire luks wiki for mounting, following every step religiously. I get errors every time I try to mount.

Then you're missing something

Here's the entire section on mounting a luks partition. Where am I fucking up exactly?
Manual mounting and unmounting
To mount the partition:

# cryptsetup --type luks open device name
# mount -t fstype /dev/mapper/name /mnt/home
To unmount it:

# umount /mnt/home
# cryptsetup close name

Please ignore the neckbears telling you to install Windows. If you're not getting helpful answers about Arch you might want to go somewhere else for advice on this or try a different distro whose community is so infamous for being pedantic about very simple things

*isn't so

>How the fuck am I supposed to learn
You start by researching what all those commands you just blindly copy actually do.
Then you ask yourself why you'd need to do that.
Also, learn how to trouble-shoot.

You mean /home/user instead of /home, right?

The difference is that $HOME works regardless of who the user is (hence it's more portable in a script). It's also less finnicky and less prone to weird issues than ~, although $HOME is more typing. Whether you use $HOME or ~, you have to be careful not to use single quotes or else the shell will interpret them literally.

>being pedantic about very simple things
I've spent over half an hour with this dude and have gotten no where because the dude cant read and cant type commands properly

How can I troubleshoot when there are only 2 lines being displayed on my boot-screen, and the fucking microcode error isn't supposed to interfere with boot? I can't boot into non-graphical mode, which I have been able to use before to fix shit. This is the first time I actually have to use a livecd to be able to fix shit.

My custom Devuan iso is using zsh with OMZ by default when i install.