Whats the deal with face id? Isnt pin code secure enough?

Whats the deal with face id? Isnt pin code secure enough?

Seems like a useless feature that will only store peoples faces in some secret database

Other urls found in this thread:

m.wikihow.com/Fake-Fingerprints
cvl-demos.cs.nott.ac.uk/vrn/
selva3d.com/
support.apple.com/en-us/HT208108
omaha.com/money/this-phone-scam-just-needs-you-to-say-yes-hang/article_9dcd0d0e-0ed8-5701-9aa1-7c0657f1c1c0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

laziness

NSA CIA FBI love it

Same with fingerprint scanners

literal spyware.

that is one goofy ass nigga

There's nothing wrong about it, all the whining comes from mentally ill kids on Sup Forums with a persecution delusion and Sup Forumstard racist crossposters who think muh gubmint is going to put them in jail for their KANGZ shitposting

FaceID is a step in the right direction in terms of security, do not be fooled by the memer faggots in this board/website

How is facial recognition better than using a fingerprint nigga.

There are people that look similar enough (twins for one) to cheat at this. Also it's extremely easy just to use somebody's photo to get into their phone.

This is terrible security. Like what the fuck?

You can't duplicate the geometry of a face as easily as you can clone a fingerprint.

But how the fuck is it secure, in any way? There are like a thousand ways to cheat and break into somebody's phone with this.

You can't use somebody's photo dumbass, the sensor reads depth as well.

Name 3 methods that can break it

Apple will store all faces in a database and share them with intelligence agencies so they can use them with their ever expanding facial recognition systems. Soon you won't even be able to go to the countryside without being logged and identified.

You are the definition of the mentally ill individual I was describing earlier. Your entire worldview is based off speculation and malicious thinking.

It doesn't even matter if Apple would share them, the government can get that data from regular cameras in airports and other public places using photogrammetry

Your mother can have a twin. Hollywood niggers can make masks.
Also what are you doing with your fingerprint that thiefs and shit can replicate it? Sticking it in clay?

FaceId will allow FBI to unlock phones without consent by simply showing the facebook profile pic.

You really don't think the fucking FBI or police know how to make a quick 3d model of a face just from a Facebook pic?

Or any somewhat intelligent criminal? Do you understand how easy that is?

Also you can do it to people while they're sleeping, drunk, etc.

>See sleeping person
>Steal phone
>Unlock phone immediately
>Walk away
The PIN number idea was fine. this is dumb.

>your mother is going to steal her sister's phone
>a phone thief will order a $800 mask to unlock your shitty iphone

>thieves replicating fingerprints
They can pick them up straight from the phone and replicate them, you retard

m.wikihow.com/Fake-Fingerprints

It's not a process that many people would do but it is achievable

Bottom line is that both methods of security are reasonably secure from most threats, the Face thing takes security a step further than fingerprint security, which is not a bad thing

You can't make 3d models off a single picture, dumbass. Apparently you don't know how photogrammetry works.

>1 year later
>Massive apple data breach
>icloud photos and facial reignition data stolen

Does seem like its in the right direction in the terms of security right pleb?

cvl-demos.cs.nott.ac.uk/vrn/

Hollywood niggers can't make masks good enough to fool FaceID

Kill youself before the aids do it, apple shill.
Samsung said the same about their retina security.

>You really don't think the fucking FBI or police know how to make a quick 3d model of a face just from a Facebook pic?
It's actually quite simple you brainlet nigger.

selva3d.com/

Stupid idiot, FaceID doesn't even use photos, and FaceID doesn't even use cloud.

Fingerprint and facial recognition and everything biometric are already shitty security methods, everything that isn't a password is. A password can be stored only on your mind and everything else is making a physical backdoor.

If you're using biometric security against standard input methods you're doing it for laziness, and basically helping the botnet

He is not mentally ill, you on the other hand is 101% retarded.
Photogrammetry is used for surface geological mapping. Kill yourself.

Not a single one but give a Facebook album to a zbrush user and in half a hour you have a model detailed enough

>He is not mentally ill
Thanks, user. I very much agree with your suggestion to that poster.

>don't store anything on the internet like le smart people do it
Neck yourself freetard, people will continue to store data on the internet because it's practical.

It can also be used to produce 3d models out of anything you retard, not just terrain mapping.

But things seem to have progressed into this So it's even easier to get your facial data

An attacker needs a picture of you, this defeats 99% of the threats like phone thieves, muggers, and whatnot who don't have access to 3d printers OR your name/Facebook pictures

So you're telling me it's likely that phone thieves, muggers, and whatnot would hire someone to create a 3d model AND somehow find the Facebook page of the person whose phone was stolen?

>FaceID doesn't even use cloud.
Freetard schizos BTFO

What I said agreed with you you fucking pajeet. Why are you calling me a brainlet?

Its still a usless feature that probably take up much space. Like what is a theive gonna do with the phone? you need level 10 security so they wont see your nude pictures?

The average nigger can't replicate your fingerprints, let alone break your password, in 2017 I'm not afraid of my phone being stolen, first thing I do is lock my imei and buy a new one.

We are talking about security against people who want your informations

jesus fucking christ

the lengths those idiots apple fags go to justify a new feature that android has it like since 2014..

i mentioned "icloud photos" since it's most likely for a breach to happen again in the future along with facial recognition, how do you know if apple isn't "secretly" uploading your face on their servers for other purposes?

Both FaceID and fingerprints are reasonably secure against the vast majority of attackers, but fingerprints are less secure than faceid because there's fingerprints all over the phone.

The existance of averages does not negate the outliers, and these security measures aren't aimed at stopping the government

>how do you know if muh schizophrenia fueled conspiracies aren't true?

>They have your data
>They have your fingerprints
>They have your face

Your biometric profile is linked to your data. You are a bundle of information in various databases, and now they want to consolidate it all to make even more profit from you.

Inb4 tinfoil intensifies

>theif steals my phone
>its turned on like 99.999% of all phones
>keep it recharging so its always stays on

what now? How is face-id gonna save me now?

>I totally can make qualified claims about source code, which I and no one outside apple has actually seen, so just trust me
You are as bad as the people who "remove the botnet from windows".

Android's face recognition was different, also, I don't buy Apple products nor am I le Apple shill, I'm just not taking the kneejerk stance that Sup Forums freetards take by default. FaceID is reasonable security.

Why not use a better finger print scanner.

By keeping the phone locked

they think people are too dumb to remember a password I guess
yeah a password tied to you you can't change, wew amazing security

>faceid doesnt work properly outside and under some forms of common artificial lighting
>thinking this is acceptable as a primary unlocking system

>release date of phone

Post proof because apple did only say that they tested faceID with their masks but results were not shown.

you can use a passcode at the same time, just like with touchid

remember when gtards said touchid was going to flop

How about when the FBI slams you down in a chair and pries open your eyes

>We are talking about security against people who want your informations
hah!
you think you can stop a first-world government from reading your e-mails and whatever else you do? please, keep dreaming

Because with facial recognition then government can force you to unlock your devices. They CAN do it with fingerprints as well, but if you don't want to unlock it you might burn your fingers or cut them off... can't cut off a face

Then press the emergency button combo or keep your eyes shut for 48 hours

tfw your girl unlocks your phone while you sleep and see all your naked photos.

You sleep with your eyes open?

>Then press the emergency button combo
they'll probably just handcuff you

>or keep your eyes shut for 48 hours

Even if you get past the fact that it's a huge security risk, you still have to accept the fact that it's objectively less secure. Anybody could take a picture of you then use that to unlock your phone. And you can't change your face. Same with the fingerprint: anybody can lift your prints then unlock your phone with them.

Now stop shilling.

Nobody here is a criminal who’s getting their door kicked down at any moment, schizo

What if you put a photo of the person in front of the camera? Do phone cameras also have depth perception?

Heard that faceID does its whole process online. Does this mean if I leave my wifi off then my phone locks I'm potentially screwed over since faceID can't connect to their "secure" process recognition?

Are you perhaps part of the CIA?

My 5 year old niece wanted to take my mother's phone while she was sleeping. It had a fingerprint lock and she figured out how to unlock it without waking her up.

Honestly fingerprint and faceID are both terrible ideas. You aren't going to get better than pin codes at this point in time.

>on Sup Forums
>not a pedo or terrorist
you must be new

The average thief has been kicked out since they invented the imei blacklist I think 15 years ago, at this point they only steal to sell bricks that looks like iphones for 50€ to other niggers
It's not only that, it's the culture of accepted mass surveillance the problem

it does it all on the device and doesn't need wifi

support.apple.com/en-us/HT208108

why is the average g user too retarded to search for things on their own

Why do you need to go to a school and listen to a teacher when you can just read a book? Obviously it's easier to ask a person like a teacher than reading around like a book. I don't know how that immediately makes a person a retard -_-.

Your PIN is more secure than Face ID. Biometrics are incredibly insecure; the US government doesn't use them.

Fuck this idea.
You think I wanna have to see my face that often every day?

I can barely look in the mirror without wanting to blow my brains out

>isn't pincode secure enough?
Yes it is.
I hope other manufacturers don't pick up face ID and keep traditonal PIN.

I have an ipad and tried out the touch ID. I stopped using it after a couple of days and sticket to pin. It's just stupid to me, and against privacy if you care about that.

>A good mask of the user
>The user is sleeping and you can just out their face up to the camera
>You're holding the user hostage and can just put their face up to the camera

And that's only 3

haha that's fine, they don't show your face on the screen :)

Old Android phones have had this shit for years. My Galaxy s3 running jellybean had a face unlock option

Fucking CIA niggers, get out of my board

lol

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Confirmed CIA nigger.

The android version is literal shit, it can be unlocked by printing out a picture of them.

Your face is public, anyone on the subway/public place can photograph you and do a quick IR blast of your face.

Your fingerprint is only left on things you directly touch, and none if you wear gloves.

apple takes photos of your ugly face->innovation
android takes photos of your ugly face->thats different

I take it you haven't see face off starring john travolta and nicholas cage?

Why didn't they add the finger print scanner to the home button on the side like BASED razer?

>FaceID doesn't even use cloud.
>Freetard schizos BTFO
BTFO without providing a single source for that? Sure thing.

It maps your face

If it doesn't detect you but you unlock via pin it saves that data, if that new added data isn't used in 24hours to match your face again it gets deleted.

it's constantly learning.

GS8 has IR blaster but not that many dots, its like 1 IR to see your eye better

>that will only store peoples faces in some secret database
Seems like the point.

that looks like that kinect part of paranormal activity

not knowning what IR waves do to the skin and eyes even on seconds from exposure
still think that apple "maps" your face

really some people need to get their shit together and start question idiotic stuff
i could go on and on for hours
also S8 DOESNT have any ir blaster whatsoever

It will be stored locally you paranoid virgin loser

Exactly what does the IR waves from the phone do, that going outside in the sun doesn’t?

Nigger you don't touch anything

No interest in Face ID. I use a 25 digit pin to unlock my phone, and my fingerprint to log into apps faster. There is no way that holding the phone level to my face and swinging my head around will be faster/more convenient than touching a button with my thumb, and I'm never going to have anything but a long code for the actual unlock.

lets realise that there are 3 stages A/B/C the sun emits type a BUT it has to pass via the ozone layer so its kinda moot saying that it will cause any serious harm

ir waka waka on phone due to the inherit problems of the idiotic FLIR aka their ir lens being very low resolution due to the fact that they cost A fortune they need to emit type c
but between you and the phone i doubt that there is any form of protective layer around..

0/10

>maps face
>notices and learns changes
>eyes must be open
>phone doesn't have to be facing your face straight on
>works through most sunglasses

yeah let's see all this praise when samsung does it on the s9 and it supposedly does like 1 tiny shit different and you all act like that's the game changer

But really you know they gonna sell the face recognition DB to malls to offer you shit on the street or at the entrance

>tfw fell for the 2part authentication memes
>now I get calls from time from random companies asking for surveys
>"your phone number is randomly generated we swear, i'll delete it from the db right now"
Use 2parts authentication for shit that already has your phone number, like your fiat currency bank

I just have all my shit set to silent by default, and then add ring/text tones to my contacts and voice mail.

If someone from a number I don't recognize calls, I won't hear them. If they don't leave a voice mail, there is a 0% chance of me calling them back. I also use the generic VM, so as to not give away my voice.

Regardless of how different strangers wind up with your number, its the smart route to take, because of that new meme scam where they ask if you are [insert your name], record you saying yes, and then hang up to use your voice as authentication.

>People think the face recognition data is being stored online in the cloud or some shit
>Too dumb to realize that the Iphone (and most Android phones) have a separate security module that stores all biometric data locally and isn't part of the phone itself

The module is used only for verifying your fingerprint/face, takes that data and sends the authentication key to the phone that says "this is the right fingeprint, please unlock".
No hacker can steal your fingerprint or face mapping data off of Apples/Googles servers. Or at least, not the data that the phone uses to unlock your phone.

I own an Android phone with a fingerprint reader, and was worried about this exact thing, but it's a non-issue for most people. FaceID is flawed though for a lot of reasons, some of which are mentioned in this thread. I wish Apple had put a fingerprint reader on the side of the phone and made it so that you could choose between PIN/TouchID/FaceID

yeah because clearly apple isn't capable of sending your face into their servers, like seriously I want to delve into the mind of a retard: why do you trust proprietary software? you have no control over them.

>because of that new meme scam where they ask if you are [insert your name],
>record you saying yes, and then hang up to use your voice as authentication.
what company would ever take a voice snippet of you saying yes as lawful binding to literally anything?

You haven't heard about this?

omaha.com/money/this-phone-scam-just-needs-you-to-say-yes-hang/article_9dcd0d0e-0ed8-5701-9aa1-7c0657f1c1c0.html

No reason for it being Omaha, it was just the first result.

Because the module (at least on Android) works in such a way that you can't take the data off of it. It's not possible as the OS has no access to it at all.
I'm sure they can send data from pictures you take, but the face mapping data shouldn't be possible to send from the security module. I don't know how Apple does it on the Iphones, but at least on Android this is how it works. This also means that you can't take that module and put it in another phone.

First they got everyone's fingerprints, now they get everyone's faces.

Next year : introducing new DNAid