I wanna become linux sysadmin, I wanna know how things work in the deep

I wanna become linux sysadmin, I wanna know how things work in the deep.

Should I really try Arch or it will show me more thing related to customization (fonts, themes) rather then the depth of Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCvA_wgsX6eFAOXI8Rbg_WiQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Maybe you should actually try LFS or Gentoo, but Arch is fine too.

Instala el Gentoo

This, except Arch isn't fine
LFS, Slackware or Gentoo
Arch is baby tier

Something has smells like linuxmshint

is Gentoo harder than Arch? I found Arch easy to set up due to huge documentation (wiki)

Take whatever OS you want, just search for good books/tutorials and you will be in the right path

Gentoo also has the wiki and the internet 'cause upstream docs almost always just apply directly.

Gentoo isn't hard anyhow, it's just configured by you in a lot of detail.

Arch being hard to install is a stupid meme. You make a bootable arch drive, boot it, make an ext4 partition, net-install arch onto it and you're done. You can literally come out of the install process and not even know what a kernel is.

Networking Linux guy here.
Said Gentoo and LFS even more so teach you even more of the underlying principles.

However as I see it using Linux day by day is even more important and what I also recommend is grabbing an old pc or laptop and installing Ubuntu 16.04 on it and learn making servers inside LXD containers. Ubuntu 16.04 comes with everything you need to run LXD containers so just install the server version set up ssh and you're ready to roll.

Make sure to use Linux daily on your day to day systems and set up a goal to make around 2 different servers in a container and learn to manage them. This will learn you a ton more then just installing Gentoo and shitposting all day. Also be sure to read a lot of documentation.

>is Gentoo harder than Arch?
No, not even slightly. The only thing that'll probably trip you up is the shit with whatever kernel and use flags you wanna use. Tbh, I don't even think it's worth the effort.It's not a bad distro, by any means, but it's just kind of alien in a few ways. Arch has a lot of the same features if you want them, they just aren't advertised very much.

I dont know why but I fear Gentoo, I would rather try LFS

I recommand to use FreeBSD before gentoo while it's not linux distro. Arch is a baby distro, and then I think it's too hard to migrate from Arch to Gentoo. FreeBSD's ports is the origin of Gentoo's portage, and FreeBSD is almost linux.

No distro is gonna teach you how to be a system admin. this channel is a good place to start though youtube.com/channel/UCvA_wgsX6eFAOXI8Rbg_WiQ

>making servers inside LXD containers
LXD is a Canonical project, it'll go the way of upstart and unity and such if you ask me.

Better learn docker or rkt or something.

Even with that you still probably need to understand how to sysadmin an actual Linux system, or everything is going to be harder.

>However as I see it using Linux day by day is even more important and what I also recommend is grabbing an old pc or laptop and installing Ubuntu 16.04 on it
Best advice. Ubuntu server is fucking great! Cannonical get's a lot of shit for their desktop, but they really know how to do servers. 16.04 is the most stable Linux I've encountered in the 15 years I've been using Linux.

That is pretty silly. Gentoo will lend you far more help with documented and pretty well-tested ebuilds that give you dependencies, build instructions, the most important configurables... on a silver platter.

But feel free to try LFS, you'll learn a lot either way.

My experience with Ubuntu server is that I needed to upgrade to artful and then bionic to get the server packages I wanted and that the method for applying patches to source code is basically as extremely retarded as it ever was on Debian.

It's nothing I can praise, though it's somehow workable.

>I would rather try LFS
LFS is literal autism, son. It's something you only do if you're snowed in for a week or something.

only if you get overly excited about CFLAGS

It's not about learning LXD to use and implement it in every company you're joining. It's about having a lot of low overhead servers.

By using LXD containers you get a lot of small servers you can set up from scratch. Like for example. Make a dns server, make a webserver, make a mailserver, make a vpn server etc etc. There's a lot you can do and the system requirements are really low. It's a great way to get some experience in your own free time.

Maintaining your system over time with is is probably severe autism.

But doing it once to learn how things actually work? Relatively useful.

>I needed to upgrade to artful and then bionic to get the server packages I wanted
Huh. I'm assuming you do this professionally, then? I'm no more than a hobbyist who enjoys playing around with things on my personal network.Was this simply a matter of wanting newer packages? Or was it more related to kernel features or something?

Thanks dudes, these 2 posts just decided how Im going to spend the next 40 years of my life

>ubuntu LXD
hey this is pretty cool
i don't want to run ubuntu though, what's the problem with plain lxc?

No problem at all. It's just the easiest and quickest way to setup a server with LXD containers since it's the only distro with ootb support. You can also use Debian with the snap package if you prefer or some other distro. I'm mostly suggesting it since it's only the host and it's about the containers.

Also you can deploy a Gentoo machine within a minute if you want to.

you don't sysadmin anymore. run up at least 3vms + management vm and learn how to deploy and patch and handle outages using ansible or salt or some other automation tool

Newer package because the one in 16.04 was like 1 year (and significant improvements) behind upstream on one package.

And then just a patch for a trivial fix to a server issue with nontrivial consequences (one daemon stays down if it's not applied).

> since it's the only distro with ootb support
There are other distros with OOTB support for docker and rkt

Ubuntu is merely the only distro with LXD OOTB support because this is their toy. It's certainly not a walled garden as such (they made the technology reasonably portable this time), it's just nothing anyone else wanted because frankly, rkt and docker have sleeker and more containers so far & kvm and vmware have fat VMs "full system containers" covered pretty adequately for those that need those instead.

Honestly, arch experience gave me a lot of knowledge about Linux, since I was a Debian user where most of the basic and important tasks are ready made. A and yeah I'm a pro network engineer since few years, probably I would have not gotten my job without arch which is cli centristic unlike Debian based distros.

Do not run a server on arch.
D o n o t r u n a s e r v e r o n a r c h
D O N O T R U N A S E R V E R O N A R C H

Do whatever you want be it Docker, collecting a shitton of old laptops or a hypervisor server. It's about getting experience with lot's of different servers and maintaining them.

I was merely sugesting LXD since it's simple, I can vouch for it and the rescource overhead is so low you can grab an old 2gb craptop and still probably be able to get more then 10 containers up and running.

You're free to do whatever you want.

You actually can on you own server if you're up to keeping up with maintaining it. However I'd also advice against doing it.

>Doesn't know about Arch LTS.

'nstall ghhannooo