/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4RpFQV
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=w6vK8d
pcpartpicker.com/list/Yz2B2R
ebay.com/itm/263179603748
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sFrWNN
amazon.com/Maximus-Hero-Wi-Fi-AC-Motherboard/dp/B075RJ944T
pcpartpicker.com/list/GCjLzM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reminder never to buy AMD garbage.

A good PC for gaming for like 700-800 euros without screen, mouse and keyboard ?

>G4560/G4600
epic meme

Sure is

Case Corsair Carbide Spec 02
MOBO MSI B350M Pro-VDH
CPU AMD R5 1600
GPU Zotac GTX 1060 AMP Edition
PSU EVGA 550 B3
RAM 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
HDD Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

is this good for 800 ?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4RpFQV

Rate my build, about to purchase

I don't understand why this pic is spammed so often. have any of you ever used a low end CPU? The Windows experience isn't great. That plus they do these benchmarks on clean Windows installs, if you have bloatware running in the background you're going to have a bad time. If you're a poorfag or normie than the Pentium is fine, but I'd say 8100 or 1200 is the bare minimum for someone who's going to be doing a lot of AAA gaming.

>have any of you ever used a low end CPU?

Yes. I bought a G4560 earlier this year to play around with whilst waiting for Ryzen. There was quite literally no difference from the 1700X I'm using now for general Windows usage. Two Hyperthreaded Skylake cores is straight overkill for desktop use. Hell, it even did okay in Cemu (50-60fps in Mario Kart 8).

Hello friends from Sup Forums

I need a new PC and the since i never really understood how to build one i figured out id just order parts from pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=w6vK8d and try to put it together myself

Are any parts of my future purchase outdated/inefficient?

Sorry. Would it be ok if /pcbg/ could help me with a problem. See, I need an ultrabook that could also handle some light gaming. Are there any you guys recommend for a budget of $1500 or under?

Are we going to see Volta before custom Vega 56?

$390 Vega 56 or $400 1070?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Yz2B2R
PC for music prod. Any good?

reminder that this monitor is on sale for $500, same spec as massdrop vast

ebay.com/itm/263179603748

Have you even tried reading the OP?

Nothing wrong with Ryzen

Not bad but could get faster RAM

The 570 is worth $200 or less

Vega 56 unless the reference cooler bothers you

Bad, swap to R5 1600 unless you absolutely have to have Intel in which case get the i5 8400 or i7 8700

Will we ever see custom Vega?

That's not a PC, just a CPU and a few other things. Obviously it's outside of his budget

AMD has some great products

How is the Logitech G710 Plus in comparison to the Corsair K70?
I don't care that much for RGB, I just want backlight for using my computer in the dark, Cherry MX Brown switches and I don't want to fork over $250 for a K70.

Romer-G is a better brown-like, imo. Check;
>G810, G413 (Romer-G)
>G610 (Cherry Brown)
>G213 (Rubberdome)
But G710+ is fine if you need those extra keys, same as 910 Spectrum (Spark is shit).

AMD is superior. Lower prices, higher performance. It's really that simple.

t. Lisa Su

Name one thing Intel does better than AMD. Just one, I'll wait

Not OP, but Intel processors do have better single core speeds and overclockability. I'm on the AMD hype train as much as you are, but saying otherwise would be lying.

>bought everything for my new pc
>the motherboard is too big for the tower
>monitor has the wrong hookup for the graphics card
>have a sinking feeling that one of the parts is probably dead

kill me
I am too low IQ for building a pc

>that narcissistic jackass who replies to every post with his important hot takes

Just return them then.

How big of a difference is there in temps between a mid tower and a micro atx case? I'm looking to downsize, but don't want things to overheat. I have a 7700k with a 240mm AIO so that should be ok, but then I have an evga 1080 sc. Would temps go through the roof in a smaller case?

>>monitor has the wrong hookup for the graphics card
I-is this something I'm going to have to worry about?

Not unless you bought your monitor in 1863 like that guy.

Does anyone here have experience with hybrid gpus? I'm thinking of getting the evga kit for my 1080. It's about $100 but my card gets so loud during gaming, and I've heard hybrids sitting in the 50s under load which would be amazing

You can just buy a converter. His monitor is probably 10 years old or something.

whoops wrong picture, hybrid kit looks like this

For another option, you could replace the thermal paste in your GPU with liquid metal for better temperatures. It'll save you about $90.
The GPU manufacturers won't void your warranty if you replace the paste as long as you don't utterly demolish your card.

If you buy AMD, you are helping them get more market share. This is good, because it means Intel will have to compete, which means better products in the future.

Even if it performs a bit worse, you should buy a Ryzen.

I have user. The second I installed it I realized I should have just built a custom loop. Unless you have a reference card, don't bother.

unless you actually want something better, and don't give out your money based on sympathy points

Ya but I don't think it's fair to compare a $100 hybrid kit to what it would cost for a custom loop, those are in completely different ballparks

>Can't tell the difference between sympathy and getting a better product from both sides in the future.

Or, maybe instead of asking people to artificially inflate AMD's market share by buying something that won't work for them as well as what the competitor offers, AMD could get their shit together and actually release competitive products, like Ryzen, and stop being inept at handling potentially competitive products, like Vega.

Not talking about VEGA, I don't blame you for not buying that.

Just Waitâ„¢

>Being this retarded

says the one pissing money away on prayers that amd will get better, I bet you hand out money on kickstarter too.

>praying that AMD will git gud
when they already are git gudding

Will the 8700K ever be in stock?

they come into stock everyday or so, but are bought up immediately/ given to back-orders

I will buy when they are better, and only when I'm due for an upgrade

Is there anything worth upgrading from a i5 4690K and R9 290?

>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4RpFQV
>$600 i7
dont

Fewer cores + threads
Higher TDP
More sockets

I think both companies produce competitive products

Not for 1080p

Yuck

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sFrWNN

here is something that isnt a completely autistic waste of money

Now that coffee lake is out it can be argued an 8700k would be a very solid upgrade

oy vey

no

no

t. everthing intel does wrong is just a user error ur dumb

>closed loop
cancer, dumb gaymur babby

romer g is shit and so are browns

d-dont b-buy amd g-goy

>coffee lake
>an upgrade in anything
an upgrade in the JUST WAIT plan

>t. everthing intel does wrong is just a user error ur dumb
nice non sequitur

>>coffee lake
>>an upgrade in anything
>an upgrade in the JUST WAIT plan
near 8 core ryzen in multithreading
vastly faster per thread performance

how is that not a up grade over a 3 gen old i5

>vastly faster per thread performance
in shit console ports and because its at 5.5 ghz while needing a nuclear power plant to power the thing and mandatory watercooling

What an upgrade!!!

wow you really roasted me with that Randum© image

>in shit console ports
do you know how frame-calls even work? and ryzen is closer to a console chip than coffeelake, after all the ps4 and xbone use an amd 8 core, and at worst coffeelake will only match ryzen and at best it will stomp it in games that are cpu bound.

>let me just use some mental gymnastics to deny reality for a moment

My HD just died, as I never have more than 140GB of data... I'm going for SSD this time.
Bought it at a local store, so I still have warranty and I'm allowed to replace it for another product for some extra cash. There are not many 240-250GB options just PNY CS1311($12), Kingston UV400($12), Sandisk Plus ($9) and SK Hynix SL308($15).
Apparently they do not work with Samsung products, for whatever reason.

I've done some research, seems like UV400 is more reliable (100 rated TBW) than Hynix (75TBW, which is faster) and PNY/Sandisk are DRAMless.
Which one is the "not so shit"?

what are my chances of success if i order a 1070ti and swap it with my current 1070 of the same model and brand, and return it to get a 1070 ti for free?

better than it should be

Can someone just tell me honestly whether Intel or AMD is better? Enough of the memes and shitposting, I just want to know what to buy.

First time building. Do I just plug the 6+2 pin from my PSU to my GPU?

My 1080 has a 6 pin and an 8 pin

Damn what a good idea
Thanks for the tip bud

no you plug your gpu directly into the wall

my only issue is the side of the gpu has "evga gtx 1070" written on it. do you think the amazon slaveworkers will check?

they likely will check for a big ticket item like that, but its up to whether or not the slaveworker knows the 1070 vs 1070 Ti differentiation.

is the i3-8100 worth the extra shekels or is the intern still cumming on the processors

Does this look normal? Looks a bit bent to me

i just realized the box shows the graphics card and the "evga 1070 ti" logo written on the side which will make it easy for them to see they've been scammed.

luckily the acx 3.0 cooler can be easily removed and the pcb of the Ti variant shouldn't be that much different to the base 1070 right? i can just swap the cooler and they'll never know. only issue is it will be hard to convince someone that it's a 1070 ti if i want to resell it later on.

what is supposed to be in focus in this picture.

I regret building a PC, it's loud stupid and useless.

there's a focus button on your phone, racim.

>1200mhz ram
>1050ti
>paired with a 7700k

boost clock will put you in 1080 performance zones

>intel has the intern's cum as thermal paste
>amd has cheap but shit processors
pick your poison

Go for Intel if you want gaming or general use, and go for AMD if you want a workstation or do other CPU-intensive tasks.

i have a 1080 what games should I actually play?

Intel always wins baby
But you should buy AMD so intel has a reason to make better products

Only VR will test your power level with modern high end graphics cards.
So you should buy a vive and crank up dat supersampling.

Should I buy the 32/64-bit version of Windows 10 Home, or just the 64-bit version?

32/64, more applications able to run

I have around 500-600$ to buy my pc a brand new cpu any recommendations
Preferably Intel
Thanks ahead

hmmm dont have money for a vive right now fuck.

my motherboard only came with 4 standoffs, is this normal?

This does not seem right

this mobo btw amazon.com/Maximus-Hero-Wi-Fi-AC-Motherboard/dp/B075RJ944T

nvm I guess the standoffs come with the case

but I did get these 4 little weird tiny standoffs with the mobo and idk what theyre for

>1700x master race because i'm a game dev and multithreading is kind of the best thing ever
>bought a r9 290x off ebay for 150$ to crossfire the one i bought two years ago instead of spending insane cash on vega
>600W but overall still cheaper with PSU and power than paying for a fucking modern GPU
>3200MHz DDR4 without spending too much

first pc build for me since 2011, shit today is a bit misleading but still comfy

your mom said that to me last night

>1700x
-x series chips are a meme. Either buy a 1600 or a 1700, or give up your last shread of dignity and buy Intel processors.

Okay I have spent day trying to OC my 8700k
If I set multiplier to 47x-50x in BIOS it actually runs at 47x no matter what I set
Anything above 50x in BIOS sets the cores to 46x for some strange reason
Trying to OC in XTU gives more strange results
What the hell is happening

100$ difference for better silicon lottery is essentially a non-factor considering system longevity (resulting in around 20$/year difference, holy shit not having lunch for one day a year buys me a better mean processor wow)

its an overpriced, inefficient build that is outperformed by ryzen. this is better:
pcpartpicker.com/list/GCjLzM

ryzen is superior to anything intel right now. better overall and less expensive.

1600 > 8400
>6 more threads
>less expensive mobos
>significantly better stock cooler
>unlocked
>can actually buy it right now

1700 > 8700K
>2 more cores
>4 more threads
>less expensive mobos
>stock cooler
>doesn't start housefires