When they say GNU plus Linux or GNU slash Linux instead of just Linux

>When they say GNU plus Linux or GNU slash Linux instead of just Linux.

what about gnux?

Why mention/specify the kernel at all?

systemd + lignux

A synecdoche (/sJˈnɛkdəkiː/, si-NEK-də-kee; from Greek συνεkδοχή, synekdoche, lit. "simultaneous understanding")[1] is a figure of speech in which a term for a part of something refers to the whole of something or vice versa.[2] A synecdoche is a class of metonymy, often by means of either mentioning a part for the whole or conversely the whole for one of its parts. Examples from common English expressions include "bread and butter" (for "livelihood"), "suits" (for "businessmen"), and "boots" (for "soldiers") (pars pro toto), or conversely "America" (for "the United States of America") (totum pro parte).[3]

Because this is real life, not a slash fic.

Because you could also run GNU on top of BSD or HURD.

This. Do you refer to Android as "Linux"? Linux is just a popular open source kernel that many operating systems use, and not an OS itself.

It's proper to simply call it "GNU". Not GNU/Linux, not GNU/Linux. Just GNU.

deez gnux

>when they say gnu/linux instead of just saying gnu

FTFY

>Because you could also run GNU on top of BSD or HURD.

Exactly.

Nobody goes to "GNU" conferences or "GNU" users groups. They're not called "GNU" distributions and "GNU" mailing lists.

The botnet is strong with g. It'll follow a masturbating hobo anywhere.

What would you call it then?

Linux?
I run Android/Linux on a tablet. It's just as much Linux as your machine, but it's clearly a different OS.

GNU?
I run GNU/FreeBSD on desktop. No Linux involved but it's still GNU.

You can apply that idea to Windows 10/NT or macOS High Sierra/Mach since there's only one kernel choice for those OSes.

I don't care what anyone calls it. But if someone tells me what to call it, they're an asshole, plain and simple.

Linux, or just Ubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, etc.

>I run Android/Linux on a tablet.
Nobody calls it Android/Linux, just Android. Why? Because it stuck. The same is with Linux.

No, they call it Android because that's the name of the OS. Linux is just a kernel.

Windows+NT = Windows
MacOS+XNU = MacOS
Android+Linux = Android
iOS+XNU = iOS
GNU+Linux = ____________

>this triggers the anti-freedom faggot

What about LineageOS?
>GNU+Hurd =_________
>GNU+BSD =_________
Also

You're wrong. Linux is, by itself, an operating system.
GNU userland is just a program running on top of it. Would you call your operating system Chrome just because that's the only thing you use in it?

Meant for

No, in fact it triggers you fat, fedora tipping atheist who shill for RSM and Arch, GNU and whatnot all the time.

I'd call it Linux, just a preference since gnu is hideous as fuck (gnu not unix). Fucking cringe.

this

MUH LINUS TORVALDS

>inb4 interject

GNU is not comparible to Android in relation to Linux

I find it funny when people say 'the kernel' when they mean Linux because there's no other word left. The confusion is strong.

What is the kernel of Linux?

Do you think more people would be using GNU/Linux if it had a simpler/more agreed upon name?

>THIS mad for having no argument left
LMAO

>Reading 'Linux'
>Getting triggered and 'I'd like to interject for a moment'

Kys

>not calling it Systemd/XFree86/Linux

No non-khv says GNU/Linux.

If you really want to give GNU credit, which is a nice thing to do, the correct way to do it would be "Linux/GNU" or "Linux + GNU".
That shows the OS components in their proper order of significance. The kernel is the center and foundation of an OS. The userland is secondary and peripheral to the kernel. Calling a userland an OS is absurd, and exposes ignorance of how an OS is organized and operates. Not many people call their car "the dashboard."

Position specifies clearly how an Unix like Oscar looks like. Part of it is a kernel. Also part is the user land. Now GNU is an Oscar because people sat down to make one. Since the kernel wasn't finished, but Linux was just set free, people combined the GNU system with Linux , hence GNU/Linux. There are other variants of GNU with other kernels and Linux powers other systems, but what we run here, Debian Arch Ubuntu etc. These are GNU/Linux systems.