Say something good and bad about Python

snake lol.

python -m http.server
is pretty useful.

>__

Good: readability
Bad: while this is more of a preference thing for me, the fact that its a scripting language

good: prototyping
bad: just "okay" for most things

Good: its good for teaching retards
Bad: it makes retards think they can program

pretty easy to learn, great introduction to new programmers

32-bit processes only

Good: metaclasses, general readability, conciseness of list/dict comprehensions and similar constructs.
Bad: lack of even the option of static typing.
Also single-threaded. Async is not a substitute for multithreading no matter how much some nodejs hipster says it is.

autism

Good - Easy to learn
Bad - FUCKING WHITESPACE JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

It exists

it's pretty cute :3

Why do people complain about the whitespace? There are a lot of things to complain about in python, and I don't feel like that is a good one to pick. What kind of insane code style were you planning on using where python's significant whitepsace would be detrimental?

>kind of insane code style were you planning on using where python's significant whitepsace would be detrimental?

I can't copy and paste someones code and call it my own without having to rewrite it

Whitespace sensitive. It's plain retarded

Get with the times gramps, you can use multiprocessing to avoid GIL while multithreading.

>Can parallelize a map operation
Still not proper multithreading support.

> Good
syntax
> Bad
syntax

> 32-bit processes only
?????

Good: whatIWantToDo.howIWantToDoIt()
Bad: the 2.x/3.x shitshow

Good: everything about it is superior to othrr languages
Bad: Nothing

Good: Easy to learn
Bad: I want to use more than 1 fucking core.

but python has real os threads :^)

Good: I use it protyping and small scale scripts. Wouldn't use it for anything big.

Performance is meh

use a better editor

>Why do people complain about the whitespace?
they failed cs101 for not correctly indenting their code, and now they are butthurt about indentation and proper formatting

good: python3
bad: python2

Easy as fuck

No private variables and slow as fuck

Good: learn fast, and get results fast
Bad: crippels you forever when it comes to learning other languages once you started with python

Quick to learn
Disgusting syntactic whitespace

Good: Easy to learn, easy to develop, massive std library, easy to get more libs

Bad: Performance, compat breakage between 2 and 3

>Also single-threaded. Async is not a substitute for multithreading no matter how much some nodejs hipster says it is.

The Python devs even state that it is only useful where there's lots of I/O

>Good
Powerful and simple std libs.

>Bad
Syntax

>Good
interpreted
established, can fulfill many usecases
numeric computing libraries
ipython notebook for literal programming

>Bad
v2 v3 split
redundant colons
weird project management, hard to pack project for distribution
performance hacks like cython, pypy, ...

>good

It's a decent scripting language.

>bad

It's too slow and there are better alternatives.

>no shared memory
>serializing objects
how is it different from multiprocessing?

it's not JavaScript.
it's Python.

my favorite tool for prototyping
and since I run my prototypes in production
it saves me lot of time

What makes a language a scripting language?

>phython
>readable
Kek
It's worse than asm

Ok edge lord

> Good
OpenCV Python bindings make it incredibly fast to prototype vision systems

>Bad
Default mutable args behaviour is very surprising compared to the rest of the language

It's easy to get the hang of it very soon. I never programmed/scripted in my life before and after learning Python for a few weeks I managed to create a simple program for my job which saves about 10 minutes of manual work every day for every colleague.

Good: it was easy to learn as my first programming language
Bad: it really fucked up my knowledge of programming and started me off with the worst possible knowledge base. Had to learn 3 other fucking languages before any of this crap started to make sense

such as?

more people ITT have said the same thing
what do you mean by this exactly?

t. noob who is learning python but also wants to learn other languages in the coming years

Good:
Piss easy
Dynamic typing
Angers people who think they're better than the others but really aren't, especially on Sup Forums
Bad:
Dynamic typing
Kind of slow

You barely need types and data structures, so if you have to migrate to a different language there's a learning curve. It is easier to learn C then go to python than go from python to C.

it's really the same for most higher level languages. they automate everything and make you develop lazy programing habits. all you know is that language's standard API way of doing things and that information 9/10 times will not transfer over to other languages. if you go down a level, you'll be lost trying to figure out memory management, programing structure design and actually having to learn how algorithms work without a solid foundation to build off of.

as said, it's easier to go up then down. after learning C, every other language is just about learning syntax and APIs.

good: looks like pseudo code
bad: messed up a few PLT concepts

Good: it can do anything, albeit slowly
Bad: NOT FREE FORM!!!!

Good: great "glue", if I want I can utilize a web app that cound find and extract text from send images, all of it without that much of a sweat.
Bad: pure CPython (that is no libraries using its C API, like Numpy) is slow as hell, also fucking GIL.

It's good for people like me who just use programming to get shit done and loathe the process.

It's bad because i sometimes have to write certain parts of the code in C++ because computation time is a thing.

Metaclasses are poor man's HKTs.

good: easy to learn
bad: shit line terminators

+Easy
-Indentation

re

ddit

spa

cing
>inb4 I get banned for spam again

Good: easy to read AND to write, flexible dynamic native data structures, good libraries, actively suppprted.
Bad: you need a proper linter to catch syntax errors.

Good: flexible and introspective enough that you can expose a module's API essentially any way you like
Bad: anything that you need to be fast, you have to write in C

very rich standard lib that implements most of the basic features needed to do a lot of things without having to touch any os code, syscalls, etc. that's why ansible is so useful.

the big problem though is the language is just hacky retarded crap that got a little better post python 2 but the 2->3 autism really fucked shit up for years.

perl6

nice pleb filter, if you suggest python you should not work here tomorrow

in every domain there is a better suited toolchain/language

>good
automatic pep8 makes my eyes not bleed when other people send me crs

>bad
people trying to write Java code in Python because MUH OBJECTS