/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Previous thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kostya/benchmarks
reddit.com/r/rust/comments/5y3cxb/how_many_security_exploits_would_rust_prevent/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck opengl, though

And On The 7th Day, God Made Haskell, And It Was Good

>there are retards ITT who can't make the distinction between symbols and names.

Scheme is the best dynamically typechecked language.

>trapshit general

How would I get the most frequent word in a trie? Coding preferably in C

>doubles are a subset of integers
the power of Sup Forums

>tfw you will never be smart enough for dynamic programming
at least I can bully the nerds in my office to do it for me

>"You do have a starred github profile, right? Because in this company we value passion."

>wake up
>turn 360 degrees
>walk away

>tfw our lead programmer is a code formatting autist

He didnt even seen and understand my very efficient 10/10 function yet he insist renaming all of my variables and methods

gib idea for mobile application

Just a reminder that Go is a meme language and Rust is objectively the only FORTRAN replacement

>Scheme is better than JavaScript and Python
IMPRESSIVE

a interracial dating app

Rust can only be an adequate FORTRAN replacement if it has restrict

daily reminder that this is what average rust core team member looks like

so?

better than c neckbeards of the past if you ask me

how hard is it to use c11 on windows

>He fell for the identity politics meme

what are mexican programmers like?
t. euro that doesn't have to look at those goblins

unironically a million dollar idea

>better than c neckbeards of the past if you ask me
Nobody did ask you. You gotta go back.

Good programmers have symmetric hair

CL > Scheme

but senpai /dpt/ is like me home ;_;

now i know to avoid this language at all costs thanks

>Good programmers have symmetric hair
Good programmers have no hair.

dumb scala/go poster

there is literally nothing wrong with go

Pike you need go, nobody likes you.

>there is literally nothing wrong with go
It doesn't have zero-cost safe abstractions like Rust, so it's literally worthless. Threadly reminder that all Rust programs are correct by definition.

>What are you working on, Sup Forums?
Tinkering around my ESP8266-01, i wrote a little firmware for using it as a relay.
There are tons of ways to program this baby, lua, micropython, even BASIC, but nothing can beat the glorious RTOS-SDK

There are enough to fill several threads with gophers' butthurt.

Rust is a memelang used only by pink haired commies. It has worse syntax than C++ compiler error messages.

What language do you suggest in place of Rust?

>in place of rust
rust doesn't fit into any use case so use what ever you have always used.

Monad
Cabal

All haskell needs now is a reference to monad as demigurge and some sort of obsession with twoness (dyad) to officially be confirmed as a programming language inspired by gnosticism.

>t. 5 buffer overflows per line

just wrote 1000 lines of C that compiled on first try, passed tests and is valgrind clean.
You rustfags don't even program anything.

>Rust is a memelang used only by pink haired commies
Rust is the system programming language of the future. If it compiles, it works, unlike C++, javascript and others like it. I know that writing CORRECT programs is too difficult for mediocre programmers like you, because it requires a minimal IQ of 130, but that's no reason to shill against it. All Rust haters in this thread are literally one poster who couldn't even write a fizzbuzz in Rust.

Something that's higher than C, in the same level of C++. Idiomatic C++ is a bit higher than C.
If the performance ballpark is divided into 3 categories: fast - faster - fastest, I would like the fastest tier but at the same time I don't want shitty build system like C or C++.

What language should replace Rust?

>posting rigged benchmark

github.com/kostya/benchmarks

Now answer my question, please

Rust does work quite well in places where I'd normally use c or c++. It's easier to be able to just write code without having to think about some of the bullshit (Memory, vtables, etc).

Though I do admit if you're trying make anything highly generic the function signatures are worse than c++ templates.

No language can replace Rust. Rust is the only language that makes it possible to write efficient and correct programs with zero cost abstractions. And I don't mean "correct" as in "it passes your shitty unit tests". I mean correct as in "it's actually verified by the Rust compiler and compiles without errors".

>To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rust.

>What language should replace Rust?
Go, especially when generic support is added.

show us what you used vs what he suggested

This poster gets it. You can use Rust without even thinking about vtables, unlike C++.

It appears that you missed the part where I said "If the performance ballpark is divided into 3 categories: fast - faster - fastest, I would like the fastest tier"

You literally can't. Rust is the fastest. The benchmark proves it, you fucking brainlet. You can't do better than Rust.

rust is worse than java, lol

that chart is a design nightmare

I see the rust-hating eurotrash is working overtime false-flagging and baiting.

C is slower than Java lol

are they actually working on that?
I cant wait for the most common argument against Go to be nullified, leaving only GC and error handling.

that chart is so badly designed i don't trust it at all

well it's clear that these retarded rustfags making these benchmarks can't write C. Otherwise they wouldn't be crying about it so much.

well it's clear that these retarded cniles making these benchmarks can't write Rust. Otherwise they wouldn't be crying about it so much.

>retarded rustfags making these benchmarks can't write C
>this is what the average trump voter actually believes

What did they mean by this?

>>this is what the average trump voter actually believes
you rust posters should go to

Can anyone else answer ?

Denial
Anger
Fight
Acceptance
Depression
>Samefagging

How many layers of false-flagging and counter-false-flagging are we on right now, /dpt/? This Rust cancer has really got to stop.

>GC
If someone uses that as an argument against Go he shouldn't take part in the discussion.

What would these Rust types be in C?
(&'a Arc, &mut *mut i16)

(*const Result, &'a mut Result)

*const Option>>::Output>

&'a mut RefCell

([*mut Rc; 19], *mut *const ::Output)

*mut Rc

*const &Result

about this much

>know that gc will never be removed from go
>try to pretend it doesn't matter

You're not entitled to an opinion tho.

void**

1.78 times the memory usage for a .08 gain in speed.

Not to mention the strangeness in that benchmark (Numpy and the c implementation should be doing the exact same thing.. After all Numpy is pretty much a c library with python bindings)

>(&'a Arc, &mut *mut i16)
void*
>(*const Result, &'a mut Result)
void*
>*const Option>>::Output>
void*
>&'a mut RefCell
void*
>([*mut Rc; 19], *mut *const ::Output)
void*
>*mut Rc
void*
>*const &Result
void*

>my 50 buffer overflows per lines tell me it's not important!!

It's basically just one "unsafe rust" eurotrash hater derailing thread after thread.

Ignore it, it's just Julia shills lying again.

>my 50 buffer overflows
you shouldn't be programming

Actually, void* would not be able to express many of these types

Does rust change the underlying hardware somehow and make it magically immune to buffer overflows? What does it do that cant be accomplished by C/C++ and proper unit testing?

Thanks I now got eye cancer in both retina.

Why? Because my language doesn't allow "infosec experts" to make a living off my code due to the lack of overflows? Sorry it's so unethical.

>It's basically just one "unsafe rust" eurotrash hater
Kinda hard to believe at this point, but it's cute that you keep insisting on it while helping him/them derail the thread.

>go programmers think actual c programmers are as bad as go programmers would be if they used c

A Rust program with errors simply doesn't compile. Hence no program written in Rust can contain such an error.

>our lead
you mean better than you in every way?

I'm sure the other implementations should be done with parallel computation in order for this benchmark to actually be a valid comparison.

>both retina
It's retinas or retinae.

>A Rust program with errors simply doesn't compile.
That's right, folks. If your Rust program compiles, it is 100% error-free.

reddit.com/r/rust/comments/5y3cxb/how_many_security_exploits_would_rust_prevent/

Actual C programmers? Like the ones who lead to the billion of security issues in "high quality" C projects such as the Linux kernel or wide-spread SSL implementations?
>C toddlers are this retarded

>my language
>my code
>pretending
fuck off

>high quality
>linux kernel
>ssl
bwahahahahahahaha

>go users think everybody is as bad at programming as they are

Can anyone else answer (You)?

golang's FAQ mentions its not a priority but they may eventually add some kind of generic support.

redpill me on safety and rust

>expert C hackers are unable to come with any proper rebuttal
At last I truly see.