If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g...

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440-14-Intel-i5-4300U-8GB-1-9GHZ/382272512617
amazon.com/gp/product/B074W3TR48/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
biosimage.booru.org/
amazon.es/nuevo-portátil-teclado-Trackpoint-Toshiba/dp/B01LZAM0HT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509821646&sr=8-1&keywords=trackpoint
twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/926942016990208000
lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1225&key=TGVuZw==
phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/sys/d/lenovo-core-i5-vpro-x240-8gb/6373293905.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

God dammit I forgot the title. I'm a fuckup.

2nd for gookovo

Does anyone know where i can find Thinkpads for cheap in Holland?

is x220t 2.5ghz 8gb RAM 128gb SSD IPS for 160€ worth it?

I'm looking for a x220/30(t) with IPS screen

Wow 2 trips in a row

Who here /oldpad/

May never give my T60 up

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

all tablets have IPS screens

this fucking captcha! am i supposed to also select the pole?

Right, but I have no problems buying the non-tablet version too as long as it has the IPS screen.

I think you're not supposed to select the pole but it might let you pass all the same.

Albert Heijn

>not using legacy captcha

Who here /depressed_thiccpad_user/

tfw joined T420 + Debian w/ GNOME masterrace

It's comfy as hell!

Not you again

Konbanwa /tpg/
Just got myself a T420 4236ac - i5-2540, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000/Nvidia NVS4200m and 256GB SSD.
Thoughts?
Also that aside, I'm a fucking pleb when it comes to computer savviness, but, planning to install Ubuntu, should I fully format it or only dual-boot (W10 is installed)? I don't want to bring the botnet aspect of W10 into this laptop, but if W10 "won't know anything" about what I do in Ubuntu, I could keep it around.
Appreciate any help.

Oh yeah meant to say got it for 200€.

I'm seeing that the tablet version is not recommended because it drains battery faster.
Also now there is the nitrocaster FHD mod which I'd eventually like to switch so at the end I don't really care for an IPS screen anymore.

is buying the X230 worth spending 50€ more than the X220 for the xx20 keyboard?

my friend got one like you except i5-2520M and an extra 500GB HDD for 250€

I got the one with a HD3000 and a 320gb HDD instead of the SSD for 170€ a few months ago.
Put your comfiest distro on it, it's a joy to use, truly.

Sup Forums, i want a computer with modern hardware and not from 2010-2012, should i be going for a t470 or one of these non-thinkpads refreshes with the i5 8250u??

is the T470 not worth the 700-800 price tag?
should i buy something else like the acer swift 3 for 750 instead?

Bij de Dirk van den Broek mijn jongen

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440-14-Intel-i5-4300U-8GB-1-9GHZ/382272512617

worth buying?

>no mouse buttons
Of course not.

you can get a t450s trackpad for like 20 or 30 bucks, quit being autistic.

I can't find any trackpoint caps available in the UK on the Lenovo website. I'd prefer ones directly from them, but if anyone knows where to get genuine caps that would be good too.
They should fit an x220

amazon.com/gp/product/B074W3TR48/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought these for my x220

thanks but they're unavailable and that's amazon US

biosimage.booru.org/

Someone took this out a while ago and I keep missing new threads. Feels bad man.

It's a 440, trackpad swap is a two minute job.

Great for the price, bear in mind it's a soldered CPU. T440P would give you a socketed one.

>asks for UK sellers
>user points to US Amazon
>item currently unavailable

Good job user

Why is the E series bad? No one seems to get it here, I saw it on sale right now and thinking about getting one.

amazon.es/nuevo-portátil-teclado-Trackpoint-Toshiba/dp/B01LZAM0HT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509821646&sr=8-1&keywords=trackpoint

Bought these for my x220

they're cheap and poorly made, basically overpriced consumer tier garbage. They're the opposite of what a thinkpad is supposed to be

DON'T

Shitposting on my T60 right now, X40 is taking a rest for a couple days but I use that regularly too.

Does anybody here regularly use anything older than the X40? Any T23 posters?

Is it the case or just the internals that are shit?

I was young and dumb to buy E540.
Never again. Sure it's better than acer or other trash tier company but it's still shit.
The keyboard should be same as in T series but it's nothing special. Display is usual "thinkpad" TN garbage. I'm really careful with this thing always carry in cover but despite that keyboard is starting to leave marks on display and those plastics are so soft that it if you look at it funny it leaves marks on it.
Battery is ok.. 3 hours of coding/browsing.
Learn from my mistakes and buy T or latitude from dell I know I am.

Both, stay away from them.

The specs are the same, but they're barely better built than generic consumer trash. This is a general for business laptops, so we avoid them.

>soldered ulv shit
no

WHERE DO I GET NIPPLE CAPS IN THE UK?

Dunno, is the X61t considered /oldpad/?

I use mine regularly.

>having a longer battery life in a laptop is bad
ulv is fine

Is the EXTREME version of W520 a meme? The one with 2920XM. The comparison with something like 2760 or 2820 shows just a few percentage better performance. Am I missing something?

pretty much a meme.

i declined to get the exteme version of the W530 for the same reason, the performance gain doesnt justify the power consumption.

Test!

x220 libreboot when?

too late

And no previous thread and a horrible generic image. You are a fuck up.

All right then thanks

why do we always have a retard make these threads?
>no title
>no last thread

Where should a kraut like me look to find a T440 for around 250€? Ebay is filled with a lot of retards, and I don't really know any other sites.

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

the ThinkPad meme in 2017?

>replace thermal paste
>t420 still goes to 90c when watching twitch stream
is it time to throw it away?

amazon? i mean you guys have DHL for all your shipment needs.

your fan probably are due to replacement

How about playing stream with livestreamer&mpv?

where should i sell my librebooted X60? I gave it a new battery and an SSD but it's 32-bit and the battery life is only a few hours of normal browsing. I want an X220 or T420.

Has something changed in linux my trackpoint is so much more sensitive now

this is normal

Yes
Linus updated Linux so trackpoints would be faster for everyone

I messed up my T530's keyboard and want to use a usb keyboard in its place. The default (broken) keyboard presses buttons on its own every now and then (sssssssss''''''''''''''''33333333332, etc.), so I want to disable it, but for whatever reason the only power button is ON the keyboard, so I'm afraid that if I uninstall the driver I won't be able to turn my laptop back on.

Is there some way I can disable every button on the keyboard EXCEPT the power button?

so I plug in my t420 and the battery led on the lid just flashes and I cant power on I have no idea whats wrong

>been trying to get a good deal on a thinkpad since 13 days of the auction's start
>seller couldn't receive emails due to website problems
>mail him another time and we arrange the purchase and shipment
>finally pay him and he sends out the package on tuesday
>the postal services fucks up as usual
>package tracking stopped updating on the 1st
>should've arrived yesterday
>21 days since contacts started
>likely to not even arrive on monday
Beyond mad, but I hold on tight.

>old thinkpad keyboards are bad for typin-
twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/926942016990208000

I've got important questions for you. Some time ago i got a job, so I'm no longer a NEET. I have steady income, and since I'm not used to have money I don't really know what to do with it. I don't go out, don't have girlfriend to spend money on, don't really have hobbies that don't include a computer. So I thought about buying new laptop. It'd be my first major expenditure with my own money, so I'm a little bit nervous about it and want to ask you guys for advice. What is the best thinkpad for gayming?

if you want it for gaymen and dont leave your house then why get a laptop at all and not just a desktop ??

no one says that first of all

I meant I don't go out like go out on parties or drinking sessions or whatever. I do leave my house quite often.

tweakers.net?

is there any reason why I cant type the letter ß on my T420 with QWERTZ layout; can't even type a question mark which would be the same key. usally you just press the ß button to get the letter and shift+ß to get the question mark. However which button combination I try I only get ´´´ those
How do I fix this

I'm going to another state for school in december and want a thinkpad for movies browsin and the occasional gayming. As much as i can see most thinkpads don't have a dedicated GPU and the ones that do aren't recommended. What does Sup Forums recommend.

I have a t470p. If I want to install a second storage in wwan slot. Would it lose the function of the network card? Would I lose my wifi or ethernet connection, or both?

Why is battery life of Thinkpads so shit and why is Elitebook patrician choice?
Pic related.

There's a big difference between a WWAN card, and a WLAN card

is the t420 keyboard compatible with the t440?

So, there is nothing occupying the wwan slot?
what would be the best m2 ssd option to put in it?

There's a separate slot for WWAN and WLAN
If you don't have a WWAN card in your configuration, it'll be empty. If you do have one, you'll have to remove the WWAN card.
I did the same on my X220, but with an MSATA drive instead of M.2

See this as well
lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1225&key=TGVuZw==

Get a p71
Or a p51

Can an x220 run simple games like Roblox, or should I shoot for an x230?
[spoiler] It's a suprise for a kid [/spoiler]

i dont know but i would get the x230 over an x220.

good price for secondhand t440p? Don't wanna get ripped off

I've just installed xubuntu minimal from the ubuntu minimal image onto my X220. However, I'm getting a lot of screen tearing. Is there any extra step I should be doing? is this an xfce issue?

C O M P T O N

>buying a modern laptop

Bump

grilled motherfucking cheese

>HP
good thing you're comparing specs because that's going to be the only good thing about it

Why does my lenovo x200 Tablet have a weird, flat double-bezel? Is my display a different model from the raised-bezel one on the right?

What operating system should i install on my x61. Tried manjaro, but its too slow. Windows xp uses 200mb ram. Which modern and useable distro offers similar performance to xp?

Someone has replaced your bezel at some point.

link?

I use W10 LTSB on my X61t with 2GB of ram, works fine.

if you're a fan of penis then you could always try to hackintosh

no

i wish, i don't even care about the chiclet keys but that layout was the best

Anyone deep into the meme who can say when thinkpad refreshes lineup annually? Also how big the price drop is on last year's model? For instance one can find new (other) on ebay for 850-900$ t470 / X270 (early 2017 model? It's hd520) will these prices be instantly slashed in half in January or Q2? BTW is buying new (other) "just checked everything was working" suspect or what. Also Intel me has supposedly been nullified but AMD psp hasn't? Thinking about the new raven ridge lineup which was leaked and will supposedly debut in January. Is a t440p in good condition with lowest specs worth it at 300$ in EU? 4gb ram 500 gb hdd 1367x765 or whatever that rez is. I'm considering it for browsing learning Linux and learning about cs & programming. Also what is the most powerful processor t440p supports, are new processors still coming out which are compatible? Is the m.2 slot pcie? Can one upgrade it with 4g UMTS?

does the x230 not have a numlock or am i just retarded?

phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/sys/d/lenovo-core-i5-vpro-x240-8gb/6373293905.html

Deal or no?

Seems like a pretty great deal

yeah, do the touchpad mod and you're set.

What if the the no charger thing ends up not letting it start up and the bios being locked/computrace? Or, it's unbootable?