Forget about Nvidia and Amd

Forget about Nvidia and Amd

here is your graphics card bro

somehow, the Matrox3D series is server-tier stuff now :-|

for its time, it was a legit choice.....troll harder boi

fag nvidia user detected

>4MB/mount

PCI: interface of choice for the discerning gamer of '17

Does that say 4 MB/MO-nth in the top left?

shiggity diggity that like 960 MB now!!

I had this one - some 20 years ago. Yes, with 4 MB instead of 2 MB.

you're like a baby

>Two Voodoos
Ughhhh.

do people really prefer HDMI? you do know that there is a microsecond delay right?

Kinda neat. But I would strongly suggest to get mid-atx case with horizontal PSU mount.

4MB a month

No, HDMI is for media devices like TVs and Blu Ray players and connecting your computer to your TV.

DisplayPort is the de facto for computers.

>wanting to have a taller case with shittier thermals
no way

>anything but VGA
gross, you should check out the internals of all these hip alternatives and avoid barfing

>b-but muh legacy in a thread about old shit
Fuck off retard.
Go LARP somewhere else.

no
both modern dp and hdmi have sub 1ms delays
the ramdac in a vga card actually introduces more latency than a modern gpu with a monitor connected via dp

do you even understand how the video display card system works? throwing around terms doesn't mean you actually understand something, now go open these devices and test them yourself if you think I'm just b8ing

go be retarded somewhere else

>pushing hot air from CPU to PSU intake
>or warming up PSU cover, like it was back in late 90s- early 00s
Also, some fan near SLI setup would be really nice.

I bought a case of those things off eBay like 10 years ago for 50 cents apiece. The shipping cost three times what the cards did. I figured I'd put one in all my old PCs I had laying around so my kids could play games from that era. Ended up throwing a dozen new-in-box cards in the trash about a year ago when I cleaned out my garage.

>>pushing hot air from CPU to PSU intake
You think a 600W that has about 300W demand on it max will care?
That's the point, to blow out the hot hair from the CPU and the case.

>>or warming up PSU cover, like it was back in late 90s- early 00s
You're making it seem like the case he posted wasn't popular at all turning the 90's and early 2000's.

>Also, some fan near SLI setup would be really nice.
You can already see the front fan is blowing on them, a wide case has great airflow like that.

Why do video cards these days look like a weapon system

3dfx > Matrox

Thnx for the nostalgia flashback though

Enjoy your color and scrolling errors in Keen, OP.

Who here had an ATI Rage?

Back then their boxes looked like acid trips

Yup, here. Shit was cash

i hated that smug son of a bitch

>hating on matrox

Were the Voodoos worth it past Voodoo 2?

It might actually get interesting if Matrox and PowerVR return to the consumer GPU space

Nah. Today though? Worth it when you find them cheap for retro game machines since Glide wrappers and emulation are complete shit.

>Glide wrappers and emulation are complete shit
Oh crap, really? One would think somebody would have made a decent one by now. I bet you could even sell it on Steam for $10.

what was matrox's last decent card before they went "pro"

r-rich f-fag

Best cards to play Unreal Tournament

The problem is that non-3dfx cards just render things differently and can't replicate the look. You can't ever fix it with a wrapper and output-accurate software rendering has yet to break 1fps afaik

i was given a parhellia, it btfo my gf4 mx440 but had driver and rendering issues in early dx9 games

>G-Police

Fuck, that takes me back.

Can you use shaders on a modern GPU to help you render it right? Or just do the whole rendering thing with CUDA/OpenCL?

The Matrox G400 MAX, best visual quality of any video card/GPU ever, and I mean even today.

The Parhelia - the first triple-head card ever made - looked utterly monstrous on paper based on the specs but when the card actually arrived it under-performed and cost them a lot of cash and they never did any 3D products again.

As an owner of a G400 MAX, I did love that card, Unreal (the original) was so damned beautiful on that card and only that card, it was glorious.

Don't know, don't think anyone's tried.

>5 Grams of memory
>4 MB per month
>MPEG 1

>3dfx > Matrox
>3dfx

No, son, just no. 3dfx was what happened after the owners of the company fucked it into the ground with the purchase of STB to make their own branded cards.

3Dfx was the original company that did everything right, made the Voodoo and Voodoo II series 3D accelerator add-on cards (they were NOT video cards). 3Dfx was awesome, 3dfx was complete crap but the Voodoo 3500 was a decent card and had some nice video editing aspects/functionality as well.

I owned a 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP card for a long long time in a "classic gaming machine" with a Pentium II 333 CPU and only the older Quake games along with the original Unreal - never gave a fuck about Unreal Tournament, it was just a cheap knock-off of Quake's proper and correctly done deathmatch and multiplayer aspects.

Long live 3Dfx... hell, I still have a 3Dfx stock certificate.

>best visual quality of any video card/GPU ever
How so?

They are wrappers, they wrap glide instructions into OpenGL ones.
The result is a game that pretty much looks like it's running on OpenGL. The specific glide related properties are gone.

I think I still have one laying around. Loved that card

a fucking jew in my class got one when i was in 7th grade

all i had was an aptiva 486 dx4 100 with an integrated cirrus logic 1MB.

couldn't even run quake in 320x200

IBM PS/1 consultant FTW!!!

i miss my old aptiva, i'm sad that i dumped it

If you never saw a Matrox card output to a calibrated display then you just don't know and will never be able to appreciate just how good that output was. Matrox didn't skimp on the filters for output on the card, they used the best quality components anyone could get during that period of time.

It's not something that can be explained, seriously (no Matrix red pill blue pill memes, please), it's literally something you'd have to see for yourself.

Worked sysadmin for a small Production shop way back in the early 2000's. All their hardware was matrox. Dual head/quad head monitors and realtime rendering systems. Shit was fun to work with. I sitll have one of these lying around in the pcb boneyard.

The Matrox Perihelia was a decent attempt to break back into gaming. Shame they couldn't get the drivers right. They're actually still around but they do professional and medical stuff now.

Trident also tried with the XGI Volari chips, but the silicon was on the weak side and they too couldn't get the drivers right.

S3 never got anything right after the ViRGE.

3DLabs went up in smoke after Creative bought them out.

PowerVR got dicked out of the desktop market by Microsoft and proceeded to get their revenge by taking over mobile.

Today? The only players in the PC desktop market are nVidia, AMD/ATi, and Intel dragging in the rear as usual.

That sounds like something that was relevant in the analog monitor era, but hardly a matter of "ever". With digital signal just about any card can drive a properly calibrated monitor.

>PCI
I'm just glad we've left the AGP dark ages behind.

i have that card in my appartment

I had one back in the early years of high school, 1997. Fuck, 20 years ago.
Matrox mistique 220 with 4 megs of ram. I had a philips brilliance 17 inch monitor too. Windows 95 desktop still a crisp and vivid memory. Excellent 2d graphics. I later bought a voodoo2 . Great 2d and even greater 3d

>analog monitor era
Which lasted longer in the professional arena longer than you realize. Early LCDs were absolute dogshit for colors and any kind of professional finishing work for upwards of a decade.

Spotted the rich kid.

I had a Savage S... 3 I guess. With video capture!

So what's it going to be today? 3.3V or 5V? Signal or smoke? How about some aperture?

>nvidia and ati have hit chicks and cool robots and shit
>all they have is a fucking CLOWN

Hmmm, not poor, not rich . It's a matter of priorities i guess. I had a 486dx 33 from 92 to 97. I worked all summer , 17 yo , just for buying the 3d voodoo2 upgrade for my p200 mmx . My father was a nerd in his own way,we spent money on microcomputers, zx 81,vic 20, had many hobbies, no vices except the electronic/radio/pc universe. Inherited hobby , i guess.
Anyway, i was lucky indeed. I still remember the great quality of that Matrox card in windows environment. Its 3d was subpar, but the voodoo cards were the perfect counterpart. And oh boy , the 17 inch monitor did cost as much as the computer, but it was huge and awesome.

>I later bought a voodoo2 . Great 2d and even greater 3d
Didn't the Voodoo2 literally only do 3D? My friends who had a Voodoo2 also had to have a separate 2D card that was daisy-chaned through the Voodoo2 with a VGA cable.

Not that guy but pretty sure he's implying he paired the voodoo2 with the mystique

correct!
I meant : after the upgrade, i still obviously had the matrox, which rendered nicely 2d, but i also had a huge improvement in 3d acceleration with the voodoo 2. My poor p200 was a bit taxed then!

best bet would probably be Vulkan like what the ParaLLEl guys did for the N64

Either that or a Gallium3D state tracker, but that would only work on the open source AMD/Nvidia drivers on Linux so you'd have to deal with Wine